Looking also!!

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Looking also!!  (Read 19094 times)

Offline Cage

• Worked
Looking also!!
« on: November 06, 2009, 04:42:29 pm »
I have just been given some bad news, to me anyway, that it could cost $8-$10k to get a mustang out from the US :_ .  I didn't think it would be that much. I was budgeting for around $5K. If someone has the time can they please break it down for me as I must be missing something. I sort of understand the following

Transport to dock
Fees at dock end of US
Degassing for air conditioning if needed
Cleaning
Shipping
Fees at AUS dock end
Gst
Transport to my home.

Have I missed anything?

Look forward to the advice

Cheers :2

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
Looking also!!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 04:51:41 pm »
Sounds way out of whack, as most shippers advertise USA to Oz A$2900 to A$3600.

That's for the west coast, but the east coast is a bit higher, plus road transport if needed from the point of purchase to the nearest port.

Grab a copy of Just Cars where plenty advertise shipping services, and ring someone nearest to you for an opinion.

Hope you aren't committed, that's all.

Offline Cage

• Worked
Looking also!!
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 05:06:50 pm »
Definately not committed. Haven't even bought the car yet but I am trying to do the budget.

Thanks for your help.

Offline Phoenix

• Worked
Looking also!!
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 05:20:28 pm »
Hey Cage. I did all of this last year, just come home, I will drag it all out later this evening and post it, should be fairly comprehensive.

Cheers Phoenix.
Phoenix, from the desert, not the ashes.
Too old to rock and roll, too young to die.

Offline Cage

• Worked
Looking also!!
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 05:23:03 pm »
Cheers Phoenix, your a champion. Check your U2U please mate.

Offline Phoenix

• Worked
Looking also!!
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 06:05:14 pm »
U2U2U
Phoenix, from the desert, not the ashes.
Too old to rock and roll, too young to die.

Offline A67PNY

• Worked
Looking also!!
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 07:02:32 pm »
Hello cage and to all the club members. Cage I imported a mustang around middle of june this year. I was billed with three seperate payments by my importer.

1:Cost of car and land freight. ( Unlucky for me the car was on the side of the country )
2:Cost of shipping by the shipper
3:And Customs GST on the purchase price of the car.
 I had hired a trailer from my local servo and picked the car up myself.

Two weeks later got the car registered and never looked back.
Fantastic

Offline Thirsty428

• Blue Printed
Looking also!!
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 07:28:08 pm »
Originally posted by A67PNY
Hello cage and to all the club members. Cage I imported a mustang around middle of june this year. I was billed with three seperate payments by my importer.

1:Cost of car and land freight. ( Unlucky for me the car was on the side of the country )
2:Cost of shipping by the shipper
3:And Customs GST on the purchase price of the car.
 I had hired a trailer from my local servo and picked the car up myself.

Two weeks later got the car registered and never looked back.
Fantastic

Can I ask,

What was your US buy price, and your total landed drive away Aussie cost?

When you got it registered, did it go through vicroads pits?

Offline A67PNY

• Worked
Looking also!!
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 11:40:51 pm »
G`day Thirsty
Lets just say even at the time I payed for my car, when the dollar was at .64 cents. I think I still got a bargin.
As for the registration. Changed the front headlamps obtained a roadworthy certificate from my local mechanic took the car to Vicroads and no problem. All in a day.
Cheers

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
Looking also!!
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 02:22:55 am »
cage

send me an email mate. I will quickly break it all down for ya mate

transport through the US ranges from $550-$1100 depending where you buy it from.

La to sydney and melbourne is now $1500ish USD

you have GST to pay along with your customs agents fees, import approval and unloading fees. Quarantine can also throw on a few extra bucks if the car is dirty in any way shape or form

You will need to allow $20 bucks ozzie for some hand wipes coz as soon as your sitting in your car you may be very exited and need to give it a quick detail to clean up the mess :w....its all worth it mate

Good luck

Offline rickchampion

• Blue Printed
Looking also!!
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 06:50:27 am »
hey matt u wanna send me that email too please,
cuz im still in the dark a bit

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
Looking also!!
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 06:58:34 am »
Might make it a sticky on the FAQ on our website....its a very common question...that and "can you get me a fastback landed in Oz for $12-15AUD :+

Offline rickchampion

• Blue Printed
Looking also!!
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 07:01:10 am »
dont forget the no rust must be a driver car lol:+

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
Looking also!!
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 09:05:49 am »
Originally posted by rickchampion
dont forget the no rust must be a driver car lol:+

That is sooooo funny rick.....its like youve been reading my emails

:+:+:+

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
Looking also!!
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 09:19:37 am »
Originally posted by Shermatt
 "can you get me a fastback landed in Oz for $12-15AUD :+

you mean to tell me you cant do it? ;]
Where's my nurse?
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
Looking also!!
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2009, 09:52:01 am »
Originally posted by nassi
 "can you get me a fastback landed in Oz for $12-15AUD :+

you mean to tell me you cant do it? ;]
Where's my nurse?  

Im all nursed out nassi...sorry mate

Offline rickchampion

• Blue Printed
Looking also!!
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2009, 10:02:26 am »
dont tell sheri that matt. After all she went too all that effort nursing it up for u at vegas hahahah

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
Looking also!!
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2009, 10:17:59 am »
she got a pic just for you too mate...havent posted it yet

Offline rickchampion

• Blue Printed
Looking also!!
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2009, 10:33:43 am »
weell dontg tease. Show me

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
Looking also!!
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2009, 11:30:55 am »
cage

send me an email mate. I will quickly break it all down for ya mate

transport through the US ranges from $550-$1100 depending where you buy it from.

La to sydney and melbourne is now $1500ish USD

you have GST to pay along with your customs agents fees, import approval and unloading fees. Quarantine can also throw on a few extra bucks if the car is dirty in any way shape or form

You will need to allow $20 bucks ozzie for some hand wipes coz as soon as your sitting in your car you may be very exited and need to give it a quick detail to clean up the mess :w....its all worth it mate

Good luck

Matt how many cars are in the box for a US$1500 shipment from LA to Sydney?

In 2007 I road shipped 2 containers from Sacramento to Oakland (San Francisco), then by boat to Sydney & cost me US$5K each plus another AU$3800 when landed in Sydney. So at the time that amounted to 10K Aussie each box all up.

The latest price I have for a box (40' Hi Cube) from Sacramento to Sydney is US$5000 & that is packing it myself at our warehouse. Sydney charges along with Australian agents, Customs & AQIS will be extra upon arrival. Don't forget the cleaning of the cars upon arrival.

I had noted the sheet that you had on the windshield of Lees Q code 69 stating that you had cleaned the car. Well at that yard the car was filthy again because it was outside & I will bet that AQUIS will have it cleaned again. Our cars were detailed before they went in the containers (they were never outside) & AQUIS had them done again.

Trucking the box from Oakland to Sac & back is US$1K on top of that. For multi stacking cars in containers is expensive as they have to build the racks & then AQUIS wants it all burnt upon arrival (which they charge us)

So I think that anyone expecting to get a car to Sydney for US$1500 would be in for bad news once it arrived.

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
Looking also!!
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2009, 11:33:19 am »
I guess i could have made it a little bit more clear, when i was looking only about 3 or 4 months ago, on top of the US price i had calculated between 8 and 10k as matt says depending on where the car is located in the US and where your located to the port where it will land in Aus. For sure you need to allow for a inspection fee (we all know its needed) and no one has put that in anywhere that i can remember seeing.

So exchange rate (yes better now then it was 4 months ago, can change fairly quick but::)
inspection fee (shermatt type person)
transport in the US
Packing Fee & Shipping, unpacking here in Aus
GST, customs, etc fees here in Aus
Transport in Aus
Few bits and pieces for rego, (soon add up)
rego

i would still say not much change out of 8k and if it was me i would be budgeting at least that.....budgets go wrong all the time and there's ;]
Just my 2 cents worth and as i have never imported i could be wrong but it did help me to get a car with rego already in Aus for just a little more then what i thought i could get the same car in the US. I saw the car checked it out and handed over the money in person. And love every day in it.

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
Looking also!!
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2009, 01:23:05 pm »
Kerry

I think they fit 3 cars per container, sometimes 4 depending on the car sizes (that includes loading/packing for $1500)

AQIS, at present are redlining 95% of all cars without even looking at them...there just guessing theres gonna be something wrong with em before there even unloaded.

Had a 66 coupe get redlined for dust particles in the boot just 6 months back. (one I personally cleaned twice) Before I could personally get a hold of the inspecting officer to spit the dummie at him, they had allready ordered it to be cleaned. Half the time there just pleasing there superiors or its like everyone says....its just generating revenue

Over the past 15 years they are getting a lot more strict on the imported car when it comes to quarantine issues and after cleaning some of these cars both here in the US and over in Japan...its not a bad thing

I used to attend all the inspections in Oz and I used to querie every or any thing they would find of a car that I personally cleaned in the country of origin and never did it get spilled once for cleaning

Lee's car will more than likely get hit with quaranteen cleaning once its been inspected just because it looks like a project car. We disassembled the whole car to clean it to be safe and got 100% of all the dirt and bugs etc out of it and washed down all the loose parts aswell before refitting them...thats better than shipping it the way it was and what came out of it

Spoke to a customs agent in Melbourne 4 weeks ago and he was saying there redlining every car and having them all cleaned regardless so dont stress to much about your two cars you had detailed before packing them in the container. Aslong as you put the effort in of spending 2-3 hours of pressure washing the nooks and crannies...there only going to have it washed and not spilled

All the vehicles have an unloading fee but I said that further up. La to Sydney is port to port (as above) with the additional charges (as above) the holding yard may have dust on the car but there all run threw a wash before there packed

Hows ya Hong Kong trip going?

Any more pics?

Offline rickchampion

• Blue Printed
Looking also!!
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2009, 01:26:57 pm »
want me too put those pics up for u matt. Im home now

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
Looking also!!
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2009, 01:40:12 pm »
Lee's car will more than likely get hit with quaranteen cleaning once its been inspected just because it looks like a project car.

Woohooooo!!! How much does it cost? I love giving them more money!

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
Looking also!!
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2009, 03:51:45 pm »
Originally posted by Foresight
Lee's car will more than likely get hit with quaranteen cleaning once its been inspected just because it looks like a project car.

Woohooooo!!! How much does it cost? I love giving them more money!

Usually around $200 AU for the cleaning.

Matty, the cars I detailed were over 12 months ago when they landed in Australia. I was quoting from my past experiences. Agree they are cleaning them all & to be honest, if that is what it takes to keep our country nice, then more power to them.

However, aren't they the idiots that let the horse flu in? Maybe we are paying for that stuff up & it was billions $$$$!!!!