Looking also!!

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Looking also!!  (Read 19096 times)

Offline rocket

• Please visit our new Website
  • Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
Looking also!!
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2009, 05:30:26 pm »

Every time we have Imported a car - we have been hit with AQIS steam cleaning at approx $240 per car.

Funny how quickly those spider webs appear under the cars just 24 hours after it has been done! I call b/s with the steam cleaning! Just a way for the water front crowd to milk us for more money IMO!

Not many definitive answers for those wanting to Import their car from the USA.

We have arranged shipping for a car just a couple of days ago. The costs are - USD $1,495 + 1.5% Insurance + $25 Document fee. Consolidated Freight ( shared container ).
This is the direct ship through a Los Angeles Shipping co.

Upon arrival it will cost approx $1400 AUD  + GST (on the cost of the car and shipping )for Customs Clearance through a Broker/Receiver.

We fully expect to be hit up for the $240 for Steam Cleaning as well.
I do not want to name the Shipping co. or Broker Receiver until we have taken delivery of the car. (If you feel a need to know beforehand - send me a U2U.)

I will post a full report on how the Shipping progressed after we receive the car.

Rocket.
Check out our new Website

http://www.imageclassiccars.com.au/

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
Looking also!!
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2009, 11:54:26 pm »
Rocket, at that kind of money you either have a car above yours, or yours is on top. Hope they can build the support frames well as I have seen the results of a car falling on another (it was an original paint 69 Mach1 CJ).

The thread, linked below, shows what can happen when getting cheap transport to the docks, we always use enclosed classic transport people, thats why it costs a little more.....

http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=7221&page=1#pid76702

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
Looking also!!
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2009, 01:16:20 am »
Kerry, I hear what you are saying, and agree.

It is a judgement call for us. This is not a high dollar value car. 1969 Mustang Grande Coupe, which will be restored upon arrival.

To Transport the car from Arizona to Los Angeles the cost was $400 on an open transport, or $725 in an enclosed transporter.

We were quoted $4,080 for a sole use 20ft container to Melbourne on the direct ship, or $3,150 via China/ Korea.

If the car was an original mint Fastback  or similar we would have opted for the sole use container and enclosed transport, but in this case cannot justify the added cost.

We have received cars with minor damage from careless shipping in the past. Fortunately, we have a good body/paint man working for us so it was no big deal.

We always pay the extra for insurance, so if any major damage was to occur - we should be covered.

Rocket

Offline Rock65

• Worked
Looking also!!
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2009, 10:59:04 am »
I dont think anyone has mentioned the Authority To Import .How much does this cost?

Offline hybrid

• Blue Printed
  • Account Suspended By Owners Request
Looking also!!
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2009, 11:05:31 am »
The cleaning is BS anyway.
My car got picked up and I had to pay for steam cleaning.

Yet the cowl and heater box was FULL of manky American leaves. Fat lot of good the cleaning did really.
- Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.
- Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away, barefoot, and you've got his shoes.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
Looking also!!
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2009, 11:22:36 am »
Originally posted by Rock65
I dont think anyone has mentioned the Authority To Import .How much does this cost?

DOTAS application is $50. You can do multi cars on the same form as long as they are in one persons name. I paid the $50 & got 9 cars, 2 trailers & 1 truck done in 2007. Some of these are still to be shipped, the application does not time out.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_vehicles/general/Application.aspx

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
Looking also!!
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2009, 08:06:17 pm »
;}
Not sure whether to laugh ... or cry right now!;x

Just received an Email from the seller of the 69 Coupe.

Earlier today the Transport Broker that we had organised to move the car from Arizona to LA sent me an Email to enquire as to whether we had another phone no. for the seller, as the driver was having trouble contacting him.
Checked my records and found that the Transport Broker had given the driver the wrong no. Finally got that sorted and the driver went to pick up the car.

The driver turned up in a one ton ute with an equipment trailer on the back. The seller being a friendly bloke offered to help load the car. He asked - Where are your ramps? Driver responded - Just grab the 4x2`s off the back of the ute!!:+;w;x
At this stage the seller - who has an earthmoving business, was becoming a bit annoyed, but followed the drivers instructions to use the 4x2`s as ramps. The driver explained no worries - i do this all the time!
He asked the seller to drive the car up the hastily positioned ramps... err 4x2`s.
Well - the inevitable happened when the car was only a foot off the ground. The 4x2`s slipped and bang goes the car onto the ground. Damage to NOS front panel under bumper!
Seller called on his father for assistance and between them both managed to load the car onto the trailer without further damage.
While this was going on driver was agitated! Would only talk to them after they loaded HIS 4x2`s back onto his ute.

To add further insult, the driver absolutely reeked of booze.
Hopefully he has the sense to stay off the booze as he drives the 450 or so miles.

The last transport that this Broker organised for us went very well with a very professional driver and truck. The review that i leave on transport reviews dot com is not going to be very complimentary this time!

Will be a sleepless night tonight as the drunk attempts to steer to LA!

Kerry was right - Sometimes it is best to pay a bit more for enclosed transport!

Rocket.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
Looking also!!
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2009, 08:35:11 pm »
Rocket,

Most of those transport guys on the west coast in the types of truck & trailers you described, are Russians. That can also be good or bad as some of them are hooked into many things illegal, particulary the car trade.

Yes the extra bucks are worth it, when it comes to this type of thing & comes to very little extra in the big picture.

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
Looking also!!
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2009, 08:50:12 pm »
Rocket

sorry to hear about your car mate.

I allways seem to get FN Taco's rollin up that dont speak a god dang word of english.

All they do is point to the car and say..."car!...califORNA?"....I have to stay there the whole time there loading just to make sure they dont "F" it up

They get it loaded on correctly but they talk to you the whole time in "Taco shell" as if you understand what the Truck there saying...then there about to leave and they say......"car!...caliFORNA"   lol

I wont book a transporter now unless the driver speaks PURE engrish...bit of an accent is OK. Otherwise if something like what happens to your car happens its all..... "sorry sinyor, NO speaka onglaze"

Hopefully your car aint to messed up but makes ya wonder untill the car arrives in LA

Good luck

Matt

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
Looking also!!
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2009, 09:23:42 pm »

The car does not have much damage. Just a slight dent in the front pan under the bumper. The body on this car is (was?) very straight and rust free, but is suffering clear coat failure due to the Arizona sun. It will have a bare metal respray.

This driver was not Russian. He is an African American.

The driver who picked up the Florida car was Russian, but spoke reasonable English. The seller spoke very highly of him and the care that he took with loading the car.

When dealing with Transport Brokers, it is probably the luck of the draw. I believe they list each transport on a message board and the different drivers bid for the work. Unfortunately it appears we drew the short straw with this bloke! Guess the Brokers do not personally know all the drivers.

About to send an Email to the Shipping company and request them to unload the car with their forklift. Better to risk a squashed exhaust than the car falling off his 2x4`s.

Rocket.

Offline Cage

• Worked
Looking also!!
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2009, 11:01:56 am »
Hi guys,

Is this a classic case that you always hear about the bad stories and not the good ones or is this type of stuff the norm in the car transport industry. I am starting to get worried about bringing one out.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
Looking also!!
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2009, 11:41:39 am »
Originally posted by cage
Hi guys,

Is this a classic case that you always hear about the bad stories and not the good ones or is this type of stuff the norm in the car transport industry. I am starting to get worried about bringing one out.  

The majority of cases it is no problem. Bad things happen when you try to cut costs, as you then are dealing with "bottom feeders".

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
Looking also!!
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2009, 12:49:43 pm »

Happy to report that the car arrived safely at the Shipping companies premises yesterday. they were kind enough to take and send a bunch of photos. The damage is absolutely minimal. The shipping company did advise that the driver reeked of booze when he pulled up. They unloaded the car with their forklift as requested.

This was the third car that we have had transported interstate across the USA. The first 2 went very smoothly. even in this case the car arrived at the destination quite quickly.

The problem may have arisen due to the fact that this car was located in a rural area of Arizona - not near an Interstate transport route, and therefore they may have had trouble arranging a normal transporter.

In future we will order an enclosed transport, even though it will cost a bit more.

Rocket.

Offline PNY65

• Thoroughbred
Looking also!!
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2009, 01:56:56 pm »
Good to hear Rocket, now you can get some sleep :)

Offline bigblockmadness

• Pony
Looking also!!
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2009, 08:00:27 pm »
Hey guys,
Just thought i would put in my 2 cents  worth.
Well finally after 4 months waiting for the car to arrive from the U.S it finally rocked up .
But then i sat around for another 2 weeks before it was finally cleared for pick up.
All up i got slugged $1600.00 in port fees / transport fees to the depot/unpacking/quarantine and the brokers fees.
So i can only assume that i have been done over big time and no quarantine did not need to clean the car or it would have cost more and taken even longer

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
Looking also!!
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2009, 08:31:31 pm »
Bigblock, Good to see that you now have your car.

2 weeks from when the ship arrives until it is cleared for pickup is pretty standard.

I assume the total you paid at this end was $1,600 + GST.
This is also a normal amount to pay. No ripoff - just the costs to line the pockets of the waterfront people.

As your car has arrived, how about posting all the details. Such as Shipping Co, method of shipping - shared or sole use container, costs at the USA end. Was the shipping satisfactory, etc?

This info is invaluable to those intending to Import a car, and not enough info on the Forum about it.

Oh, and what car did you buy?

Rocket

Offline bigblockmadness

• Pony
Looking also!!
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2009, 12:54:30 pm »
Okay,
The car was shipped from LA to Perth in a shared container with 2 other cars and a heap of parts that were packed in boxes . Supposedly the the costs are apportioned by the amount of room and weight of the items.Go figure it is awhole lot easier to to unload and inspect one vehicle as opposed to a whole heap of boxes and crates.
Heres a break down of the costs i was charged
1. port service charge                $300
2. quarantine fees                     $150
3. quarantine attendance          $100
4. cartage to depot/ unpacking  $530
5. custom broker                        $440
6 misc charges                           $80

TOTAL                                         $1600

The car i Imported was originally an automatic  69 m code mach 1 that  now has a 428 super cobra jet spec motor and tremec 5 speed fitted.

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
Looking also!!
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2009, 02:10:54 pm »

Bigblock, The Mach1 sounds excellent. Hope you put some photos up either here or in the Members cars section.

For anybody intending to import a car - Be prepared for the costs at this end of the Shipping. The going rate seems to be around $1400 - $1600 +GST on cost of Car and Shipping.

Here is a photo of the 69 Grande Coupe -

Rocket.

Offline Zandere

• L Plates
Looking also!!
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2009, 02:38:13 pm »
More than likely get hit with quarantine cleaning once its been inspected just because it looks like a project car.

Regards

Zandere
Surendettement

Offline 67gt350aus

• L Plates
Looking also!!
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2009, 05:26:10 pm »
hi all just got my mustang from the USA and used a company called foytt shipping and auto, Pete Tate is the contact in California and he has a fellow here in Aus as well,
I cant thank Pete and Andy enough for all there help they found my new toy and also did the settlement and handled all the paperwork for me
there web site is www.foytt.com
cya
kym

Offline Crackers

• Thoroughbred
Looking also!!
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2009, 05:42:43 pm »
Hi 67gt350aus
Welcome to the forum.
I've been using Foytt for my shipping, Pete is great to deal with (even though he's a Kiwi), I highly recommend him to anyone for shipping.

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
Looking also!!
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2009, 05:42:56 pm »
Matt, My car left there clean and arrived here without having to be recleaned by customs.  It must depend on the Inspector.    Mac

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
Looking also!!
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2009, 09:31:00 am »
Importing Costs

I have just been given some bad news, to me anyway, that it could cost $8-$10k to get a mustang out from the US  . I didn't think it would be that much. I was budgeting for around $5K. If someone has the time can they please break it down for me as I must be missing something. I sort of understand the following

Transport to dock
Fees at dock end of US
Degassing for air conditioning if needed
Cleaning
Shipping
Fees at AUS dock end
Gst
Transport to my home.

Have I missed anything?

Look forward to the advice

Nice to know that Pete from Foytt is good to deal with. However, the question is - " How much does it cost ".

This is all useless info without your costs added to the thread.

Rocket.

Offline rattusrex

• Worked
Looking also!!
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2009, 05:32:19 pm »
Two people went with Foytts. Question how long did it take from pick up in America to final delivery in Sydney? Any hiccups? Eddie
Click Image For Larger View

Offline 67gt350aus

• L Plates
Looking also!!
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2009, 06:04:45 pm »
from the time Pete found our car to arriveing in Australia was around 5 1/2 weeks the shipping cost including all the charges this end excluding the GST to customs was about $3600 aussie dollars

i would certainely and highly recomend them, and a big Gday to Randall from foytt aswell   he is a laugh

oh and i had a email from pete the other week  his now is distributing parts for Scott Drake