67 68 Convertible Wanted

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 67 68 Convertible Wanted  (Read 22566 times)

Offline daddywalrus

• Pony
  • I'm new here
67 68 Convertible Wanted
« on: May 24, 2016, 12:41:42 am »
Hi All! This is my first post. Thank you for having me!

I write this post in the hope some of you nice members and experts in the Mustang world can help me and guide me on my journey to finding my idea of perfection. Maybe there are also some builders/providers that might put their hand up and say “yeah I can do that” from this post.

I have decided it is time (and I am very fortunate to now afford it) and would like to now spend my hard earned dollars seeking out my prize.

After having read a number of posts on the forum and already learning some things relevant to my situation I think I have already learned some basics and I think it is clear this is the right place to post my question, but I do now need your help and guidance to push me in the right direction. Could you please guide me?

A little about me and my situation:
I am male, 41, Australian. I live in Asia. I left Australia about 10 years ago but now it is time to move back to Australia soon. I am targeting an early 2018 return to Australia and hope to have my prize when I do. I will live in south east Qld when I move back. Therefore time is on my side for this project. Taking the next 18 to 24 months to get it all said and done is just fine by me.

I travel a lot for work and am often in Australia, parts of Asia, USA, Europe. So getting to see and visit any suppliers, builders globally is easy enough for me. Better still, I get to do it on my employer's coin so it’s good to be able to do some personal things for a day or two wherever I go on my work trips. This means finding my prize in Australia, USA, Europe or anywhere else is fine by me. I should be able to visit any such providers easily enough a number of times in the next 18 months.

I never really grew up with Mustangs in the family (after all, how many of them would have been in Queensland in the 80's and 90's?). However I do like the shape and style of the 67, 68's. The 64 1/2 65 and 66 are ok but something about them I'm not liking as much as the 67 68 (maybe the side scoops are too flat?). 69 is when they started to become children of the 70's style and too fat for my liking.

Truth be told, I also like MG’s (B's are good, C's are better with their 6 cyl engine). I am also very tempted by what Frontline Developments in the UK are doing with the MG Abingdon Edition, but at 90K GBP its going to be a good 200K AUD once it’s on the road in Qld and that's just too far out of my budget). I also like E-Type Jags but we all know that's an impossible dream. Shelby Cobras look cool but let's face it, they are a throbbing track day tool and without any real roof you can’t really use it as a daily driver.

I'm looking for something that I can realistically use as a daily driver, right hand drive. I would still hope for close to concourse finish, just because I am a perfectionist on finish. I am not precious about being period correct. That said, I think the Eleanor is a cult that I just don't understand. It is too try-hard and a step too far for my liking. I can't say I was ever in love with GT500's or Hertz Specials etc. Just a bog standard 67 or 68 convertible with maybe some 16 or 17 inch wheels and a hood scoop and racing stripes is probably enough of a look for me.

But that is cosmetically. How the outside and the cabin looks. However under the bonnet, that is where my tolerance to change becomes quite flexible. So much so, that I am looking for a totally modern driveline. I am sorry to use the term Restomod, but what other term defines it? I am thinking:

Coyote 5.0 (Cheap enough, the 435hp version straight out of the box with ECU, harness and some nice headers and a dress up can be had for 10K USD which is very reasonable). If I am feeling generous and want to spend a little more maybe I would option the Aluminator XS to touch 500hp, or even more for Supercharged version, but let’s see where budget goes first. I don’t want a throbbing 428, iron block, points and carburettor Cobra Jet with a lumpy cam that shakes the car at the lights and pops my eyes out of their sockets. The idea is a modern smoothy with enough stink for a 5 second 0 to 100 time. I don’t think I will track it, but you never know.

Exhaust should be pretty mild. I don't want a headache when rolling along at highway speed at 2200 RPM at 110kph. Ongoing, daily liveability is important, but a nice rev and a V8 sound when I want to hear it and get the revs up in the lower gears would be nice. I reckon halfway between a street rod with no muffler and the world’s mildest exhaust is where I want it to be.

Transmission Tremec 5 speed Extra HD with 0.68 5th. Probably put in a 3.7 LSD because I am more of an acceleration man than a top speed man. Rear ratios don’t take much to change out so if I am wrong that’s easy enough to change later. A chrome/silver Hurst style bent shifter with a black ball handle would be fun.

Suspension up front needs to be an independent setup. I don’t like the cheaper setups with the factory lower control arm to the original factory mounts style. I would prefer a sway bar with aluminium adjustable coilovers style of setup. Also as I want the modular Coyote it is likely a new subframe or front clip would be needed (especially so that shock towers would need to be removed to make more space for the Coyote). Heidts Pro G full front suspension could be a possible option. Roadster Shop also do a good IFS option with shock tower removal. I’ve seen some coyotes without shock tower removal and I don’t like it, there is probably only an inch of space each side which doesn’t feel right to me.

Down the back I would also like an independent rear suspension setup. Heidts Pro G rear could solve it. Also Roadster Shop make a great IRS setup.

Brakes obviously discs all round. The world’s biggest slotted Willwood rotors all round is probably overkill. 13’s on the front and 12’s on the rear is probably enough. Black callipers are good (red is too much of a “look at me” in my mind).

Actually Roadster Shop also make a very good complete chassis subframe and considering I am a little paranoid about putting 4 to 500hp into a convertible 67/68 I really think some kind of subframe reinforcing might be a very good idea. Therefore Roadster Shop may get some business out of this project yet. Anyway, perhaps another builder could do something similar for less $$$. I’ve also seen some people putting 03/04 Cobra rear ends in so if a builder has the desire perhaps that is an option too.

I’m liking the mostly black coloured interiors. I’m not precious about pony trim or other period correct features. I don’t like centre consoles. I would prefer no centre console and just manual transmission boot straight to the tunnel. I don’t like the under dash hand brake. A transmission tunnel mounted handbrake like the Lokar or something similar would be fine. I’m guessing for the budget I am considering all internal upholstery would be able to be supplied new. I would like sound deadening/dynamat to the internal cabin surfaces and carpet underlay to help with a nice quite ride on a day to day basis (gotta satisfy the wife on that one). I have seen this stuff called Lizard Skin applied to underside and cabin area before. Maybe a coat of that stuff would help too?

All electrical and instrumentation would need to be modernised, new etc. I like the Classic Instruments All American Original Cluster with aluminium bezel. I like the black dash with aluminium panels/highlights. Obviously I will need KPH markings and no greater than 8K RPM because as far as I know Coyote tops out around 6.5K RPM.

Integrated air conditioning, retro look radio with Bluetooth, all LED lighting/indicators, some nice HID or halogen headlights with an LED halo would be a nice modern touch. Maybe an alarm, but I really hate a keyring with lots of fobs for different functions. Only one fob is allowed. Power windows, central locking, keyless start, these are probably a step too far and I’m not that lazy on such things so if these stay out that is ok.

OK so now onto the important part, budget. I am thinking I want to throw about 100K USD (around 130 to 140K AUD at current exchange rates) at this project. I think this is a fair and reasonable amount. I think any more than this and I am just going to give up, sell out, and buy myself an off the shelf toy like a new Porsche Cayman or M2 or something like this. I can pay in any currency, in cash, and can turn up on the doorstep of the builder with a suitcase full of money in any country if that’s what you’d like (I’m handy like that), or do a bank transfer legitimately, or buy it in USA, deliver and register in Queensland. If I have to spend a week in Australia farting around in Perth for a week importing there because it is easier, then driving it to Queensland and registering there I am happy to do so. Time, complexity etc is not much of an issue, and what I am trying to express here is that I am flexible to all ideas in order to get the right solution. Truth be told though, I’d rather have someone else do all the work and just be told “Job done, come get it” at some location in Qld.

I don’t currently have a donor vehicle. I would need whoever helps with this project to source the car and then do all the work. I don’t think a complete Dynacorn is the answer as this will have import and registration issues as a ‘new’ car. Even if a donor is found and the original firewall/chassis code is the only original thing left in the build and everything else is new parts that is also ok by me.

OK so where to from here? Is my budget realistic? Can my dream be found for what I am prepared to pay? That is where I need your help and guidance on what to do! What am I thinking so far?

1.   Find a builder within Australia. They can probably find a crappy old donor and do what I need. Will they be able to hit the budget considering how much labour costs in Australia? It seems Bosskraft gets a good wrap on this forum. Classic Muscle Cars Melbourne or even Ol’ School Garage in Qld could also be good options. Or,

2.   Find a builder in USA, get it built in RHD and then imported into Australia. Talent is high, and labour costs reasonable, but will I be annoyed with the import process if they miss some things related to Aussie compliance and could the budget blow out once it hits Australian shores? Gateway Restorations, Classic Recreations, Shermatt all seem to get good wraps. Or,

3.   Use Classic Speed in Philippines and hopefully get lower labour costs but take risk on some ‘unknowns’ on the build side but perhaps plenty of experience importing and registering in Australia? I quite like their previous builds 223 and 238. If you know how to use the internet you will surely know how to see pics of these previous builds of theirs. Or,

4.   Give up and buy an MG Abingdon Edition from Frontline Developments or some other MG or Alfa Spider or Fiat 124 restomod with a 2 litre Ecoboost engine? Or,

5.   Give up totally and get a new Cayman or an M2?

6.   Some other option I haven’t thought of yet?

A you can see, I am confused and don’t know which way to go and who I should get to help me on my journey or how I should actually solve it overall. Do you think you could consider my ramblings and help me on my decision for which way I should go?

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate your comments and guidance. I promise whichever way I go I will document my journey and share with you on the forum. Feel free to respond on the forum or private message me.

Offline 67fasty.sm

• Worked
  • Name: shane
Re: 67 68 Convertible Wanted
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 07:36:53 pm »
If you have the cash just buy one finished  :thumb: why put yourself through the stress
Its funny how quick kids learn to drive a car, yet fail to understand a lawnmower.

Offline daddywalrus

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 12:09:17 am »
Sure, that's an option too, but I reckon I'm going to find it pretty hard to get exactly what I want in my ideal final product.

Would you have any recommendations on where to find such a thing? I know the answer is "there's this thing called Google..." but if it were that easy I wouldn't need to reach out to the community to ask for guidance as I have.

Thank you for your comment/opinion. All comments and opinions are helping me form my idea of what to do!

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 10:00:11 am »
My first port of call would be Shermatt international. He is known and respected on this forum and has a good reputation. He may even have something listed on his website that fits your criteria.
Cheers, Ron B

Offline Gallop

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 03:11:02 pm »
Sounds like you want something like Marshall Perron's 66 convertible, but in a 67 or 68.

See http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/mdmp-0612-1966-ford-mustang-convertible/

Offline daddywalrus

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 11:10:12 pm »
My first port of call would be Shermatt international. He is known and respected on this forum and has a good reputation. He may even have something listed on his website that fits your criteria.
Cheers, Ron B

Thank you for the advice. I will contact them and see what they think of my mad ramblings.

Offline daddywalrus

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 11:18:58 pm »
Sounds like you want something like Marshall Perron's 66 convertible, but in a 67 or 68.

See http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/mdmp-0612-1966-ford-mustang-convertible/

I checked the link. Looks a bit of a Frankenstein case! Not sure if that is entirely the same direction I would go!

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 08:03:43 pm »
Reading all that extensive briefing it seems to me that you actually want a completely modern car in a 'Mustang-looking' body as there's so much about the 60's era design & technology that you dislike & aren't prepared to live with.
So rather than go down the one-off restomod track which I suspect will easily chew up your budget given that you have yet to source a good sound CV & then someone will have to rip it all to bits & rebuild it to all the specs you've listed, have you considered just buying a well-optioned brand new Mustang, keeping the change & away you go?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 10:33:13 pm by 67FBGT »

Offline daddywalrus

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 12:13:23 am »
Reading all that extensive briefing it seems to me that you actually want a completely modern car in a 'Mustang-looking' body as there's so much about the 60's era design & technology that you dislike & aren't prepared to live with.
So rather than go down the one-off restomod track which I suspect will easily chew up your budget given that you have yet to source a good sound CV & then someone will have to rip it all to bits & rebuild it to all the specs you've listed, have you considered just buying a well-optioned brand new Mustang, keeping the change & away you go?

Absolutely, I'm on board with what you are saying. This is also a real possibility.

BUT , I am just wary that with each and every new generation of car, and with just a few years of time gone by, things that are recently released seem to lose their appeal with me quite quickly. For example, I remember thinking "oooh yeah" about the latest mustang I saw in 2005, but now just 10 years later I wonder what the hell I was thinking. That said, I am concerned with each and every generation newly released I am going to become pretty quickly bored and get greedy and want to buy the latest and greatest every 5 to 10 years. The classic 60's (and maybe some of the early 70's models) just seem to have this timeless appeal to me. Their look, style etc seems to grab me. I doubt in 30 years from now I would have the same emotions over the 2016 model. I reckon I would drool and be taken by the 60/70's models even more at that time as it will be even more nostalgia power of an era even further long gone by.

From 74 onwards is where my interest ends. I'm never going to drool over the fox bodies or the following 30 years.

The beauty which is only skin deep, the shapes, fittings, finishes, style. These are the things that appeal from a long gone yesterday, not a 10 years ago yesterday. The poor fuel economy, maintenance, underwhelming power, three speed gear boxes, sloppy handling, headache inducing highway speed, poor safety, oil leaks, noisy cabins and anything else I can mention is nothing short of a pain in the backside (to me) and ruins the enjoyment of just "getting in and driving" the thing you love to look at so much. I understand some owners love the tinkering and repairing and making it a labour of love, but that's not really me. I like riding the jet ski. I don't like maintaining it, towing it on the trailer to the water, taking it in and out of the water, flushing it, cleaning it, and anything else you can mention in between. This doesn't make me appreciate the machine and the enjoyment it gives any less, it just means I would prefer being involved in the parts I find truly enjoyable and avoiding the parts I don't.

So I take your advice, thank you. It's valid and I might still go that way, but I think if I do its proving me to be a bit of a sell out and I'm not really thinking of the long term. I reckon something that looks classic and keeps my visual attention but has the right meat in the sandwich to last a while and be low maintenance is more of a long term proposition.

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 08:32:43 am »
Sounds like you really need to speak with some builders, otherwise you won't really be happy with the car you end up with.

It would cost more to build here in Australia, but if you get it built overseas you're paying much higher duties and taxes on the higher value car as it comes into the country.

The overseas builders wouldn't be as knowledgeable about local registration requirements either so may run into unexpected issues when it comes to the inspection in Australia. The car would be built with the engineer being involved from the planning phase down here.

Offline SXTY8

• Worked
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 09:06:41 am »
I can understand your thinking. I wouldn't change anything on my car with it being a factory S code GT, but if I was to buy another car I would consider some improvements to make life a bit more comfortable.
Such as a modern crate motor with fuel injection, RRS suspension and steering, 4 wheel discs, 5 speed manual or overdrive auto, modern radio with bluetooth , vintage aircon. fast glass and lap/sash belts etc.
I don't think you would be effecting the value of the car if it was a base model to start with, but it would improve the driving experience while still keeping the look of the 60s.
My 2c worth. :singing:

Offline daddywalrus

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 09:29:02 am »
Sounds like you really need to speak with some builders, otherwise you won't really be happy with the car you end up with.

It would cost more to build here in Australia, but if you get it built overseas you're paying much higher duties and taxes on the higher value car as it comes into the country.

The overseas builders wouldn't be as knowledgeable about local registration requirements either so may run into unexpected issues when it comes to the inspection in Australia. The car would be built with the engineer being involved from the planning phase down here.

Yeah this is exactly the quandry that I'm in. Aus build should enable better chance of compliance, lower charges when being imported, but on the flipside labour by the hour is so damned expensive and whilst the talent and experience in the cars is high, could it be as high (plus easy access to many more vendors of parts) as some of the builders in the US? Alternatively what does a US builder need to know about compliance? Install three point seat belts, ensure the steering wheel is on the correct side, have provision for a catalytic conerter (even if one isn't actually installed), ensure the indicators have an amber section (not red or clear), ensure chassis and suspension members are either stock or if retro fitted engineered to massive extremes to ensure no certifier would have a leg to stand on to say the structure is too weak?

All the while, the Australia dollar is currently sitting at the low 70's, making every dollar I would spend in the US about 1.30 AUD.

When I sit down and think about the budget more, I think it can't possibly be any more than something like the following:

USD Costs:
10K: Coyote 5.0 engine, ECU, Harness, Heeaders.
5K: Independent Front suspension cross member, 13 inch brakes.
8K: Independent rear suspension setup like Roadster Shop or Heidts Pro G, or even something second hand from an 03/04 cobra which gets retro fitted, including 3.70 9 inch diff and 13 inch brakes.
5K: Additional strengthening and bracing, perhaps some new panels or chassis members.
5K: Any new additional guards or fenders or other body panels needed.
10K: Dress up, upholstery, glass, dash, etc etc.
10K: Subsidiary items like electrical system, exhaust, lighting etc.
5K: Wheels and tires, custom hood or any other body kit items.
Let's say a total of 60K USD all up for all the necessary parts.

Then 10K USD for junker donor car, so that's 70K USD for all the bits and pieces thrown in the one container and shipped to Aus.

Converted to AUD that's 100K, plus perhaps duty at 5% and GST at 10%, plus other handling and delivery charges so once all the stuff is on the doorstep of the Aus builder it would be about 120K AUD.

Then from there I would say the builder is only going to need some ancillary items, consumables, paint etc. Perhaps anything missing that needs to be done for compliance etc adds another 5K AUD in bits and pieces.

So we would be looking at about 125K AUD in total for all parts. From there it is just a labour cost. How many hours and what's the chargable rate that it would take to get it done? I am really at a loss to understand what it would be. 1000 man hours maybe? Assuming you had a team of four guys going hell for leather on the build, and this was the only thing those four guys worked on during that time, that would be 250 hours each or roughly six weeks. I don't need any custom sheet metal work. I'm not dropping the roofline or retrofitting a GT tail onto a convertible body. I'm not pumping the gaurds. It really would only be a strip down of the donor, cleaning, and rebuilding if not all of the car. Would it take a team of four guys six weeks to do, full time? I guess so? 

And what would the chargeable labour rate be in Australia? 70 bucks an hour? This would mean about 70K AUD in labour.

Therefore after some rough numbers I could foresee this costing a good 200K AUD if done in Australia. I am not saying that is bad or wrong, or that the alternative cost say getting it done in US or Philippines would be any cheaper, but at these kinds of numbers I think I would be starting to reconsider my motives. At 200K AUD, like 67FBGT suggested, I could just as easily get the latest mustang very well optioned costing 100k AUD driveaway, let it depreciate and in five years when I'm sick of it and the new model is out just sell it, accept the depreciation and buy the latest model at that time. Then 5 or so years after that still do the same thing over again and I would still have probably spent less than 200K AUD on cars through the next 20 years, and owned probably 2 or three generations of latest mustang in that time.

How does the "build it in US" scenario look? All the parts cost would be the same at 70K USD. Then some cheap southern labour in Texas or the like might be say, 40 USD an hour, so that's 40,000 USD. The finished car then gets containered and sent to Aus for 5K. When it hits Australian shores at say 50K AUD declared value, I'll get slugged with probably 10K of taxes and charges. Landed cost is then 165K AUD, and then there will surely be compliance problems and issues to contend with which could perhaps be another 10K from a local provider. And keep in mind this is all the while assuming I can get US labour at 40 USD an hour and its only going to take 4 blokes six weeks to build. That said, it is still going to be a 175K AUD proposition, and with the amount of unknown, where is the value in the stress as compared to just getting it done in Aus for 200K AUD? Sure 25K is 25K but I am sure I would probably go to US a few times in that period and chew up that sort of coin.

On the Philippines angle, I have been working through some costs and I think its going to be a good 140K USD once it is all said and done, and there are also concerns on a modern coyote powertrain getting compliance, so it would revert to a bog standard iron windsor with points/distributor so I lose my dream of the modern coyote powerplant. At 140K USD thats 190K AUD and with delivery, LCT etc thats again going to be a 20 to 30K AUD problem so this is busting the 200K AUD mark already.

So as you can see I am trying my best to work through the scenarios and understand which way to go. What I really need to understand is how many man hours and the chargeable rate these sorts of projects would take. It would be great if some good builders in Aus would be able to help discuss and work through the project on paper, because only then will I understand what I am facing.

I reckon if I can keep the project to 150K AUD or less I think I will still go ahead with it. If it is going to start touching 170, 180, 190, 200K AUD, I think that is when I am going to start losing interest and just tell myself this game is not for me and I should just stick to modern off the shelf cars.

Thank you for your comment Dwayne. It helped spark my thought process!

Offline Scott66

• Worked
  • 66 GT Coupe
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 09:36:33 am »
Check out Restomod performance in Melbourne. They recently had a 69 Boss 302 featured in Street Machine that is built along the lines you are talking about complete with Coyote 5.0, Tremec upgraded brakes, suspension A/C etc. etc. etc. and it looked really smart.

I think the $ figure you are looking at seems realistic for a one type build of this nature.

Keep us informed on your progress!

Here is a link to the issue I was talking about
 http://www.streetmachine.com.au/news/1601/street-machine-february-2016/

Cheers

Offline daddywalrus

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 10:57:45 am »
Check out Restomod performance in Melbourne. They recently had a 69 Boss 302 featured in Street Machine that is built along the lines you are talking about complete with Coyote 5.0, Tremec upgraded brakes, suspension A/C etc. etc. etc. and it looked really smart.

I think the $ figure you are looking at seems realistic for a one type build of this nature.

Keep us informed on your progress!

Here is a link to the issue I was talking about
 http://www.streetmachine.com.au/news/1601/street-machine-february-2016/

Cheers

Scott66, Thank you very much for this information and link. I will try and get my hands on a copy of that issue. That 69 Boss 302 definitely looks like my cup of tea, but just pull back a few years and make it convertible and I'll be in heaven.

I will also get into contact with Restomod performance in Melbourne. I will be in Melbourne for work in two weeks (and get there a few times a year) so it will be easy enough for me to use a builder in this location for this project.

Thanks!

Offline SXTY8

• Worked
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2016, 05:27:59 pm »
I'd like the name of that builder in Oz that only charges $70 per hour....I reckon it would be more like $100 - $110. The thing is that if you spend 150 grand on your car, it's resale value would be around 100 or less, so why not look for one already done so the seller takes the loss. You can always do some modifications to make it more of what you want.
Another 2c worth.

Offline teacherspet

• Worked
  • Name: Pete
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2016, 05:31:52 pm »
Better still, take a trip to the Philippines & check out Classic Speed. They build Mustangs & will charge you a pretty penny for the privilege.

Offline LEE H 69

• Worked
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2016, 06:02:26 pm »
if you are moving to SE QLD, I would recommend contacting
  Layne at Restored Classics,
(07) 3376 2531
www.restoredclassics.com.au
info@restoredclassics.com.au

Offline daddywalrus

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2016, 07:25:50 pm »
I'd like the name of that builder in Oz that only charges $70 per hour....I reckon it would be more like $100 - $110. The thing is that if you spend 150 grand on your car, it's resale value would be around 100 or less, so why not look for one already done so the seller takes the loss. You can always do some modifications to make it more of what you want.
Another 2c worth.

Yeah the loss/resale is always destined to suffer. I'm already resigned to the fact that I know what I put in, I aint getting back. But the same thing goes if I buy new. A nice new Porsche Cayman for 170K driveaway I am still going to struggle to get 100K for it in three years or so. In the meantime it will cost me a butt load to insure and maintain. Putting money into cars will always be a loss game, in any shape or form. Anyone who thinks otherwise must know something I don't.

I think because I am greedy, picky, choosy that I'm going to find it hard to find something already done close to what I want (or even say 70% close and overhaul to get the other 30% I want). I've had the same problem with buying a house recently. After searching for more than two years I still couldn't find what I thought was 'perfect'. So in the end, I just bought land and got one built with all my ideas and inclusions. I'm not telling this story to blow my trumpet about a house, just illustrating that I am the type to be happy to start things from scratch when I think something off the shelf won't satisfy me.

Offline daddywalrus

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2016, 07:27:00 pm »
Better still, take a trip to the Philippines & check out Classic Speed. They build Mustangs & will charge you a pretty penny for the privilege.

You mean they will charge for the privilege of building or charge for the privilege of visiting to check it out?

Offline daddywalrus

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2016, 07:29:15 pm »
if you are moving to SE QLD, I would recommend contacting
  Layne at Restored Classics,
(07) 3376 2531
www.restoredclassics.com.au
info@restoredclassics.com.au

Thank you for the suggestion!

Do you know of anyone who has used them, their experiences etc? Or have you seen any of the finished products coming out of Restored Classics?

Offline teacherspet

• Worked
  • Name: Pete
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2016, 07:49:24 pm »
You mean they will charge for the privilege of building or charge for the privilege of visiting to check it out?

Let's just say that they aren't cheap, & according to some people, their build quality for what you pay is sometimes questionable. Go on their website & check out their cars.

Offline 69ISH

• Worked
  • Name: Rodney
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2016, 08:00:16 pm »

Do you know of anyone who has used them, their experiences etc? Or have you seen any of the finished products coming out of Restored Classics?
There are 2 members here that own/ed the blue mustang fastback on his website but I am unsure who they are hopefully they may tune in. Hughie from "60s Rust Restorations" was doing all his body work and paint but I am not sure if he still is. Hughie (60s rust) did my panel and paint approx 5 years ago and still is just as good now as when it was first completed except for some minor mishaps/damage  (That's what happens when you drive them regularly) and I could not recommend him highly enough. I also know that when Layne was still known as PROJX he was highly recommended by Hughie and the previous owner of 60s Rust and I had seen his work personally and could not complain but I have no Idea what his costing is like but I very much doubt he would be charging less than a $120 an hour and that is what I would expect to pay for the top of the range guys in Australia but in my experience the hours they charge out for and the hours they actually put in are very different which always work out in your favour.
Just my opinion and take it for what it is worth just an opinion.
1969 Mustang Sportsroof (8+ year Project are they ever completed)
1969 Cougar Eliminator (Sadly sold)
1972 Gran Torino Sport (Sold)
1968 Mustang Coupe (Sold)
Read about "Eliminators" below
http://eliminator.mercurycougarregistry.com/

Offline LEE H 69

• Worked
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2016, 08:08:31 pm »

Yes I do know several very happy customers, and his work is top notch, for Layne it's a passion and not just a job, he is the type of guy that loves a challenge and will not cut corners, he lived in the USA for many years where he had his own restoration shop over there, and so still has many contact over there for suppliers etc.
It will certainly be worth you while making contact with him as he is very knowledgeable.

Offline daddywalrus

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2016, 09:45:11 pm »
LEE H 69 and 69ISH, Thank you for the info. I have emailed Restored Classics just now. If I don't hear back from them in the next few days I'll get on the horn and have a chat.

Offline daddywalrus

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2016, 09:49:05 pm »
Let's just say that they aren't cheap, & according to some people, their build quality for what you pay is sometimes questionable. Go on their website & check out their cars.

Yeah I've been through their gallery. The finished product looks good, but I guess that's hard to tell from pics.