*** Read This Before Importing a Car to Australia***

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: *** Read This Before Importing a Car to Australia***  (Read 31175 times)

Offline POTF

• Pony
« on: May 12, 2010, 08:09:40 pm »
Hi all,

It seems that those idiots that were elected into Parliament have slipped another law, un-noticed, that has a great impact on our Hobby/Passion.

Basically it states that any pre 1989 car that was modified after 1989 cannot be registered as it's original year of manufacture. You need to supply proof of the modifications and if it doesn't stack up to their checklist then it either get's sent back or Crushed!!!

This is a Hot topic on the Rodding Forums and I know firsthand of cars that have been turned away ie. not let into the country.

You need to get clearance from DOTARS that your modified vehicle will be allowed to enter the country before it is shipped.

Read these articles to understand more.

http://www.asrf.org.au/docs/Import-Bulletin-001.pdf

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...989scheme.aspx

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 09:18:40 pm »
Whats ruinin' it is people importing newly built modified motor cars claiming that they were built way back when.  

Mustangers should be ok.

Offline 68pony

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 09:40:16 pm »
This may be the reason they are asking for photos of the car after sending the import approval .

Offline Bumblebee

• Blue Printed
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 10:19:51 pm »
Weren't bug catchers standard on 68 ponies???
Cheers Bee

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 10:21:38 pm »
lol 68pony how did you get away with having something portruding through your bonnet that is attached to your engine in a 68?

Offline ejmustang

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 10:28:45 pm »
This is exactly what i was talking about a few weeks ago a couple of cars have already been sent back to where they come from :f

Offline Brett_T

• Worked
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 08:50:12 am »

Whats ruinin' it is people importing newly built modified motor cars claiming that they were built way back when.

Mustangers should be ok.

Unsure if this is that reason that is "ruining it" If a 1965 mustang has had a 1970 302 (for example)dropped into it a few months prior to you purchasing it, would this not be considered as being recently modified???I know of alot of Mustangs (and other makes)coming out of the USA do not have the original engines..and one would think alot of them would have been "Modified" after 1989.!!!!

Great info though...

Just my two cents worth..

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 09:46:18 am »
Lower link in the thread starter did not work, it is here...

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_vehicles/general/pre1989scheme.aspx

There is a 35 page PDF at the bottom of that page that I have printed & now read, nothing really changed in that doc other than some minor import rules that would affect me as a "returning citizen" rather than the rest of you..

This is what I have been saying about a government changing legislation without consulting relevant groups. However in this case I do not believe it affects the type of cars we (being the Mustang collector hobby) import unless radically altered from factory specifications.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 09:59:25 am »
To Further my comments above, I feel that this is directed at the part of the hobby that now produces a variation of a produced car, such as kit cars & hot rods. Where this affects us (Mustang owners/potential owners) is the Dynacorn body shells as they are "new" cars & were produced after 1989.

If they want to be picky, it could also cover radical mods to suspensions (3-4 link rear ends, even coil over front ends) & bodies that have been carried out overseas before importing or even the fitting of newer kits that possibly do not comply with our regs in their opinion.

Eleanor's come to mind as they have no front bumpers (also fibreglass rear bumper) & that was a regulation of the day (67/8 both here & the US) that cars had to have bumpers (not enforced, but a regulation all the same). The same could be said for coupes that have been altered to fastbacks or convertibles.

Offline Cage

• Worked
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 10:03:33 am »
When I spoke to DOTARS a month ago on why they wanted photo's before approving the import they said they were cracking down on hot rodders with heavily modified cars. They mentioned that classic cars were not on the radar unless they were heavily modified. Anything can change of course but hopefully that means that we should be OK with slight modifications.

Offline POTF

• Pony
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 10:29:05 am »
This has an impact on any Mustang that is considered having equipment outside of the Manufacturers specs.

Eleanor's will definitely impacted. I have heard of people that need to pull off ttheir 17-20 inch Bling wheels and but Steelies on them to give the car the impression of Standard to ensure they gewt it into the country. Then they ship over the Bling Wheels as parts. Bug Catchers are deffinitely out.

These Pin Heads in the Govt read off the Manufacturers Spec sheets. They know nothing about cars, only what they have written in front of them. If they see a Chrome Rocker cover it will probably be considered modified.

People need to be concious of any sort of Mod that stands out on a car. Please ensure you have a friendly place over in the US that can take off those aftermarket Rocker Covers, Bling Wheels, or whatever, to ensure it can get through. You need to make your first sumission to DOTARS the best it can be to ensure they have no suspisions when it arrives...... It can be very costly & hurtful to see your new purchase & know you can't drive it and then have to pay to send it back.

All the Car importers here are aware of this new law so work with them as to how to get your car in.

Make no mistake.... DOTARS is probably monitoring this and the many other forums across the Rodding/Street Machining community covering the same thing.

This issue needs a call to arms to voice our disgust & objection to these Draconious Laws. This is an Election Year and Rudd's mismanagement & overspend in his term is causing all these Money Grabbing laws to be introduced to minority groups that John Citizen doesn't care about...... after all aren't we all considered Hoons in the mind of John Citizen, because we have the roar of a V8 under the bonnet or shinny Bumper Bars..... "Let's slam this minority, no one cares about them and they don't really have a Voice"...... That is what they are saying in Cabinet meetings!!!

Sorry..... Got Fired up a bit.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 10:45:23 am »
POTF , agree to most of what you are saying. However this concept crosses party lines & will be continued to be enacted regardless of what party is in power. The general public will always be swayed by the media.

For the rest of us, do not take it out on DOTAS, Customs or AQIS as they are usually very decent people that are doing a difficult job & have to abide by the regulations that are set in place..

Yes it is a call to unite & I have been saying that on here almost ever since I joined the forum. However to have a voice, we need to unite the whole car/bike hobby as that is the kind of numbers we will need to make a difference. No use ranting here as we are "preaching to the converted". Lobbyist's are very expensive (usually lawyers) so as a large group that cost would be minimised.

Offline 68pony

• Worked
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 02:50:13 pm »
Originally posted by Foresight
lol 68pony how did you get away with having something portruding through your bonnet that is attached to your engine in a 68?

:w I bought the car here ,all the engine mods were done after i bought her , she was a 16 sec nugget when i first got her :w anyway i just got back from seeing our new edition unpacked from the container, she is abit mouldy but awsome :a:a:a:a:a

Offline HAPPY ONE

• Worked
  • A hearse has no tow ball !
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 03:48:45 pm »
Hey 68 Pony,

The car looks really good mate.

Just wondering about the steering wheel - can you get that sort of thing repared or will you have to change it altogether for LO2 / Roadworthy ?

Also in terms of the mould you mentioned,  how long was it in the container for and what do you need to do to get rid of it apart from a scub up, anything else?

:(:(

Offline 68pony

• Worked
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 04:09:19 pm »
Originally posted by GRUMPY ONE
Hey 68 Pony,

The car looks really good mate.

Just wondering about the steering wheel - can you get that sort of thing repared or will you have to change it altogether for LO2 / Roadworthy ?

Also in terms of the mould you mentioned,  how long was it in the container for and what do you need to do to get rid of it apart from a scub up, anything else?

:(:(

Hi grumpy the steering wheel will be left as is, will pass its not as bad as the photo shows ,mate its a 55 year old car , i can even get it regersted with no seat belts, as for the mould from what ive been told will come off easy with a damp cloth and a little soap ,not exactly sure when it was packed in container but i can tell you it arrived at the shippers on the 20th of feb and left california on ship on the 27 march and opened today , i suppose anyone would look green after all that time :w

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 06:31:21 pm »
Originally posted by Brett_T
I know of alot of Mustangs (and other makes)coming out of the USA do not have the original engines..and one would think alot of them would have been "Modified" after 1989.!!!!

If a long unregistered old car is about to arrive here and has an old 1988 engine put in one week prior to being shipped, how could they prove the car was modified after 1989?

s

Offline Brett_T

• Worked
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 08:34:28 pm »
Modified vehicles originally manufactured prior to 1 January 1989 can ONLY be imported if the
owner can demonstrate that the modifications were completed prior to 1 January 1989. Import
approvals will only be granted after the Department is satisfied that the modifications are pre-1989

stephenslr... i take it as... it is not up to DOTARS to prove it is modified.. it is up to the importer to prove it is not. I do not know the complete definition of "MODIFIED" in the eyes of the infrastructure.. if they call a car with big wheels and shiny bits modified..well who knows..
i have only ever had to supply exterior pictures of my cars, but have heard of others that have had to supply, engine bay, interior, and under floor pictures also..
There maybe someone on here that does know the definition of "MODIFIED.   i was merely pointing out someone may buy a nice mustang.. with a later model engine../running gear.. spend good hard earned $$ on it..and not be able to import it...  wouldnt be the first time.. so i have heard...

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 08:36:30 pm »
Originally posted by Brett_T
I do not know the complete definition of "MODIFIED"

Let's hope it's not what insurance companies consider modified.

s

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 08:45:15 pm »
"Original & unmodified"....as the car came from the factory, or could have (optional extras, etc)

All else can be deemed "modified".

The people that are making those decisions are reasonable, as long as we are, when applying & describing said vehicle.

As Brett_T says, the onus is on the applicant to prove their case, not the other way around.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 08:48:43 pm »
Latest Open Road, the NRMA mag, there is a letter from a reader complaining how dangerous LHD cars are in Australia. Wonder what the next edition will bring in responses.

These type of publications have the voice & the ear of Government, we do not.

Offline 68pony

• Worked
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 09:59:59 pm »
Originally posted by ozbilt
Latest Open Road, the NRMA mag, there is a letter from a reader complaining how dangerous LHD cars are in Australia. Wonder what the next edition will bring in responses.

These type of publications have the voice & the ear of Government, we do not.

So one reader can change a law , well actually yes i suppose we all know the people in charge always listen to the vocal minorities

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2010, 08:15:48 am »
Originally posted by 68pony

So one reader can change a law , well actually yes i suppose we all know the people in charge always listen to the vocal minorities

That is exactly the point, we (the car collector hobby) need to become one & be heard.

T-CODE do not just blame a particular side of politics, all sides will do the same if it is perceived to mean votes.

The first & main issue of a combined group (if formed) would be to seek out all in politics & media that have an appreciation for what we are about. That would form the basis for moving forward. No use ranting here, no one that matters is reading this.

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2010, 10:53:45 am »
I was talking to a friend who works at Holden - someone there knew someone who imported a rod and it was stuck at customs - reason : flame paint job !

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline trik 66

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2010, 11:17:59 am »
This is all starting to sound a bit scary for me as mine is at Wilmington CA waiting to get on a ship once i have approval from DOTARS !! Should i be worried about the car ? ie the 17" wheels  ? new motor ? etc etc If they approve as what i sent them as in these photo's etc is that not a safe passage into Australia ??
[img width=180 height=135]http://i878.phot

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2010, 11:26:05 am »
I wouldnt be too stressed.

There mainly talking about S15 silvia's/180sx, Nissan GtR's, supras, drift pigs etc....pretty well everything out of Japan and all the stretch Limos and Raws cars with Major mods

Havent heard of any car being turned back for flames down the side....under the laws that be, a paint job is NOT a modification due to discrimination laws...got a link somewhere that says something about it, however, SA states in order to get rego, the car must be "As it came from factory"...but thats a state law not federal

Unless Federal law "States that"...(As it came from factory), its still open for interpratation but still eligable

If you have been given an Import approval.....the car is eligable...SIMPLE

Thats why they state..."do not ship your vehicle untill your approval has been processed"