*** Read This Before Importing a Car to Australia***

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: *** Read This Before Importing a Car to Australia***  (Read 31176 times)

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #100 on: June 11, 2010, 04:44:41 am »
Filthy hot here last few days

:f:f:f:f:f:f:f

Shipping agent is in Holand, Transport driver in some country watching the Grand Prix, nothing but shi7 being advertsied for top dollar, kids are on summer break for 11 weeks

Its a Zoo allright

Might see ya on the 6th

Offline HAPPY ONE

• Worked
  • A hearse has no tow ball !
« Reply #101 on: June 11, 2010, 07:55:56 am »
There's a lesson in all this - for me (that is)

Don’t post a reply to a thread straight after a tiff with your 17yr old daughter. not really an excess but, it didn’t put me in the right frame of mood.

Sorry guys didn’t mean to imply you were all having a cheap shot......

I mealy meant to say, that newbie’s (like myself) don't know all this stuff (yes - one could also say that it's there fault for not reading up on it) and like myself they'd tend to take to date on the form as being gospel and arrange their shipping around that date, apposed to waiting for the approval slip in the mail to arrive.

So yes your right Kerry - the thread is of benefit to first time importers.  

;+

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #102 on: June 11, 2010, 08:07:06 am »
All good GRUMPY, I had taken it in the spirit of debate anyway.

I am not one to throw stones with my record of replies... so here is to the forum...:2

Offline mark678

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #103 on: June 11, 2010, 08:46:24 am »
Hi guys, i hope i have not given the impression its fine to ship without approval, obviously at this time it may be risky, just with my experience i have never encounted a problem, even now....all is good has not been any more a headache than sending a few pics and chasing up with a few phone calls, as for newbies, i reckon they always take a much bigger risk in buying a car sight unseen, i've done it and got bargains that were great cars...but have also bought nightmares, even with someone inspecting for you,just ain't the same as doing the job yourself, if i were a newbie with airfares at only $1000 i would be over there, get a few others and all go together. That's my best advice ....cheers

Offline fatrider

• Pony
« Reply #104 on: June 11, 2010, 08:50:53 am »
It is not the purpose of my trip, but next month I will be travelling North America for work for all of July. Over my 12,000klm of driving I sure will keep my eyes open :f

If I do I will need the services of others to complete a transaction if that occurs.:o

I booked my flights for $670 return with United. I cant fly from my home town to Sydney for that.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2010, 08:56:58 am »
mark678

Thanks for that reply, that clears that up in respect of "approval to import".

As for the rest, so true! :(  Get on a plane if possible & see for yourself. Even if you know little, hook up with someone that can advise when checking the car out.

Offline 6pakdave

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #106 on: June 11, 2010, 09:48:08 am »

Received my approval in 30 days. No change really. Visa payment out on a Wed,IA received on Fri. I called on Wed nite and talked to a Dotars guy to confirm all my 5 cars were cleared [ all 69-71 musclecars], and the reply was 'those cars are the easiest for us to do'.  So Id say from that unless your car is a hotrod/kit-car or heavily modded you shouldnt have a prob.

I sent pix of my cars with my approval letter [not requested but sent anyways]  I was caught right in ther middle of the 'alert'. Bought my cars in April and was home April 26. I think the alert was sent May4th?
 I dont know of too many importers that held cars until they received an IA from Canberra. That may well change now,so expect your shipping charges to go up if they have to pay storage for 30+ days in the USA waiting for an IA....

later Dave

Offline fatrider

• Pony
« Reply #107 on: June 11, 2010, 10:16:18 am »
Quote from: 6pakdave link=topic=10500.msg113752#msg113752
........I called on Wed nite and talked to a Dotars guy to confirm all my 5 cars were cleared [ all 69-71 musclecars], and the reply was 'those cars are the easiest for us to do'.  So Id say from that unless your car is a hotrod/kit-car or heavily modded you shouldnt have a prob.

I think you are right Dave, everything you hear on the net as gone quiet. Follow the rules and all will be well:2

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
« Reply #108 on: June 11, 2010, 10:24:53 am »
Quote from: Shermatt link=topic=10500.msg113718#msg113718

And soon you won't even be able to go for a dip in the ocean without needing a degreaser Matt. ;]
Rick

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #109 on: June 12, 2010, 01:35:10 am »
Quote from: ponyride link=topic=10500.msg113761#msg113761
Quote from: Shermatt link=topic=10500.msg113718#msg113718

And soon you won't even be able to go for a dip in the ocean without needing a degreaser Matt. ;]

Yeah.....there getting pretty concerned about it here in Florida

They say if Obama gets that oil rig fixed

its gonna be   "Ni66er Rigged""

:+:+:+:+:+

Offline fatrider

• Pony
« Reply #110 on: June 12, 2010, 09:36:54 am »
Quick question.

On the import application form it says to supply purchase documents. If the seller agrees to wait for me to get import approval before paying, they are not going to want to give me receipts in most cases.

Would it be okay to apply with out purchase documents? (maybe just note pending on application) has anyone done this?

Offline 6pakdave

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #111 on: June 12, 2010, 10:47:15 am »

You have to have a copy of the receipt of purchase.
Maybe a deposit receipt showing balance to be paid . Best to check with Dotars.

later Dave

Offline fatrider

• Pony
« Reply #112 on: June 12, 2010, 04:18:31 pm »
Thanks Dave

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #113 on: June 12, 2010, 11:04:09 pm »
Quote from: fatrider link=topic=10500.msg113904#msg113904
Quick question.

On the import application form it says to supply purchase documents. If the seller agrees to wait for me to get import approval before paying, they are not going to want to give me receipts in most cases.

Would it be okay to apply with out purchase documents? (maybe just note pending on application) has anyone done this?

If your concerned about the car you are buying may not be approved, you ask the seller for a scan of the title showing there are no liens on the car.

You submit a scanned copy of your drivers lic signed by a JP, bank manager or pharmacist stating its a true copy, 3 different angled photos of the car and the scan of the title.

You can tick the box asking if there are any additional cars and attach a seperate letter explaining that you do not wish to purchase untill you have obtained an import approval to be sure that the car is elligable for export.

Cases like this, the car is sold by the time you pull the trigger

Best to show someone in the game a few shots of the car you intend to buy to gain advice if its elligable or not

If its a highly modified car then I understand your question

hope that helps

Matt

Offline fatrider

• Pony
« Reply #114 on: June 17, 2010, 01:10:34 pm »
Spoke the DOTAR's just follow up some questions before I head over to the US. Mainly in regards to the stories about mag wheels etc.

They have updated the wording a little to make a bit clearer.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_vehicles/general/pre1989scheme.aspx

Offline fatrider

• Pony
« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2010, 08:23:30 pm »
Interesting letter, nothing ground breaking or different but shows some interesting stats on numbers of imports and refusals

http://www.ozrodders.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=35037&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=630&sid=91f9433099302818debd2b15f9dad2dc

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
« Reply #116 on: June 17, 2010, 08:41:00 pm »
Have to be a member fatrider...cant tax it?

Offline fatrider

• Pony
« Reply #117 on: June 17, 2010, 09:11:28 pm »

We uped the size of the pics.  They should be a little easier to read now.
We still have the originals on file
Kind Regards
CPU
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 09:53:07 am by CPU »

Offline fatrider

• Pony
« Reply #118 on: June 18, 2010, 02:20:08 pm »
I read on another forum that a guy had his import approval rejected on a mustang because it had stripes and was seen to be cloning another vehicle. If this is true than the statement that paintwork is not seen as a modification is false.

This is only what I had read, nothing more. So I can not confirm any truth.

Edit - Please note: only another unfounded comment from a forum. Take this only as that.

Offline Sean piquet

• Stallion
« Reply #119 on: June 18, 2010, 03:11:22 pm »
Quote from: fatrider link=topic=10500.msg115049#msg115049
I read on another forum that a guy had his import approval rejected on a mustang because it had stripes and was seen to be cloning another vehicle. If this is true than the statement that paintwork is not seen as a modification is false.

This kind of mis-information does not help anyone and just adds to some of the unwarranted hysteria the roding fraternity seems to be running with.   This from the very group that has been ignoring the letter, intent and spirit of the pre - 1989 import regulations for years.
Many of the cars these guys have been bringing in under the pre 89 scheme bear little resemblance to the original vehicle other than  in some of the body work.  So now they  will have to build them here and the local HR builders will be delighted with that and it keeps some dollars at home.  The rego authorities in all States will also be pleased with that I suspect.

As for the anecdote from the guy with the striped Mustang, you can just bet there were plenty of non - standard items on that car that resulted in rejection.  So ask him to post some detailed pictures of the car.  You can just bet there is plenty of BS in any story that he was rejected, because of a paint job, under the pre 89 regs.

It is very very clear in the DOT regs  and their supplementary explanatory advice that a paint job does NOT prohibit/disqualiify import in any way (and nor should it of course) under the pre 89 rules.  I can tell you from vast experience in dealing with Federal DOT staff that the officials don't introduce regs and related information bulletins and then promptly ignore them in their decision making.

The pre 89 import scheme is a pretty liberal one and, IMHO, Mustang enthusiasts should be thankful that classic Mustangs in all states of repair can be so easily brought into Australia under that scheme.

Offline fatrider

• Pony
« Reply #120 on: June 18, 2010, 03:32:03 pm »
Quote from: fatrider link=topic=10500.msg115049#msg115049
This is only what I had read, nothing more. So I can not confirm any truth.

I agree, I was simply posting what I read and noting the above in my post. We all know there is unfounded truth out there. How about quoting all of my post, not just what looks best.

Next time I will put it in quotes so I don't create hysteria

Offline haveblue

• L Plates
« Reply #121 on: August 05, 2010, 01:41:14 pm »
   I'm confused.... I've read the above letter and printed the information from the Infrastructure (government) website. My hope is that within the next year sometime to start the import process of a project Mustang from the USA. I guess the main point I am getting stuck on is what constitues a modification?

The letter above states changed paintwork is ok if it's kept within orginal specs, and replacement mechanical parts are ok..no dramas. But most of the cars I've been researching either don't have engines or transmissions, or have been changed from a factory 302 to a 351 for example... are these import stopping modifications? Thanks in advance, cheers.