*** Read This Before Importing a Car to Australia***

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: *** Read This Before Importing a Car to Australia***  (Read 31177 times)

Offline trik 66

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2010, 09:18:47 pm »
Me Got the Approval Last Friday in the mail !!!! Yipee ! They were pretty quick after the money was deducted on the Wednesday. Whole process took a month as i put the fax down the line on the 26th April (Anzac Day!) On the boat this week i hope !!??  :+:f:+:f:2:2:2:2:(:(:(;2;2:a:p:a:p
[img width=180 height=135]http://i878.phot

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2010, 10:22:49 pm »
Quote from: GRUMPY ONE link=topic=10500.msg112375#msg112375
Hey guys,

I got an email yesterday from DOTARS as well regarding my application.

All this after almost 3 days short of a month from when I initially sent the application off…..so much for a 17 day processing time!! Mind you I wouldn’t want there job!!

They wanted to see:
1.   More pic’s of my car – no mod’s pretty standard
2.   A photo of the build plate.
3.   And a clearer copy of my license signed by a JP – OK 1ST ONE WAS A BIT DARK

After talking to Matt in Florida this morning he informed me 1968 models didn’t have a build plate. It took two phone calls to DOTARS today to clear that one up. Turns out it’s a new girl processing my application ….. I also pointed out to her that that information is not requested on their form anyway.

The good news is,  after sending everything off to them this morning, I notice $50.00 has been charge to my credit card this afternoon, so we must be getting closer to obtaining the import approval. Me hopes!! :(

Good thing too, because I also spoke to Joey at Schumacher’s via email and he told me the car is in a sealed container ready to be shipped in the next few days and due to arrive in Brisbane by the end of the month

Yippee – Yippee – there does seem to be light at the end of the tunnel!!

:p:a:p:a:p

Ed

I have put a hold on your container mate. This same thing with Import approval went on back in 1999-2001 when DOTARS got congested with Import approvals and ended up costing people alot of money for storage.

At present your car is not costing you anything sitting where it is but will cost you if its sitting in Oz with out an approval.

Give me a call and I will explain what Aug 2000 was like with Import approvals

Im glad you cleared up that compliance plate issue. Even I was going to ring them on that one.

Is anyone else being asked for additional things needed for there approvals from DOTARS?

how many days did yours take?

Offline fatrider

• Pony
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2010, 10:27:39 pm »
Hope all goes well guys.

Offline Spooky

• Worked
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2010, 02:58:51 pm »
Hey guys,

Good thing too, because I also spoke to Joey at Schumacher’s via email and he told me the car is in a sealed container ready to be shipped in the next few days and due to arrive in Brisbane by the end of the month

Whoooo Hoooo:p
[align=center]
[/align]

Offline HAPPY ONE

• Worked
  • A hearse has no tow ball !
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2010, 04:02:44 pm »
Quote from: Spooky link=topic=10500.msg112499#msg112499
Hey guys,

Whoooo Hoooo:p

Hey Spooky almost there mate!!

should be in the garage 4-5 weeks now including getting it on the road.. :+:+

Offline HAPPY ONE

• Worked
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2010, 04:05:09 pm »
Just been told the import approval has been approved and is now in the mail to me - should arrive tuesday at the latest as it was mailed late yesturday arvo.

;_;+;2

Offline mustang-jerry

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2010, 04:28:04 pm »
I have never sent a pic with my application or been asked for one, The last one we put in
was about two months ago and all was good.
So this new rule is it only few months old or is it a case by case thing.

Offline 6pakdave

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2010, 04:49:16 pm »

Just received my approvals today in the mail. 30 days from posting it off from Qld.
 Sent with pix which is a requirement now.

cheers Dave

Offline HAPPY ONE

• Worked
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2010, 05:04:30 pm »
Quote from: mustang-jerry link=topic=10500.msg112514#msg112514
I have never sent a pic with my application or been asked for one, The last one we put in
was about two months ago and all was good.
So this new rule is it only few months old or is it a case by case thing.

Yep ....This is a new rule Mustang Jerry - basically if the car has had any modifications a red light is flaged. But in order for them to tell,  they need a photo first up when submitting the application forms now and may ask for more along the way.

Offline mark678

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2010, 11:54:37 am »
Hopefully this will all blow over in time as i do not think they have enough monkeys in the zoo to cope..... and how are all the hot rodders coping they must be all up in arms, it appears that a 32 ford must arrive here as grandpa drove it back then and not with that blown small block, unless you can prove it was fitted 30years ago...good luck guys

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2010, 12:12:53 pm »
Quote from: mark678 link=topic=10500.msg112837#msg112837
it appears that a 32 ford must arrive here as grandpa drove it back then and not with that blown small block, unless you can prove it was fitted 30years ago

1989 was 21 years ago but the solution is easy, import the car without engine, you may be able to import the engine in the same container, who's to say you're putting it in that particular car?

It really is stupid as you can do what you like to the car once you get it here so what is the point of it all?

What a waste of tax payers money, they must be so short of work at the registry and have to invent jobs to keep them employed.

s

Offline muzz67

• Worked
  • Account Suspended By Owners Request
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2010, 12:25:47 pm »
All they are after is the "cheats" and looking at the compliance issues sometimes raised with crate engines being late model blocks which the require to match emissions.

It is like all things 'if you tell the truth you never get screwed'.  

As for pulling out engines etc, 'the may be dumb, but they are not stupid' in 40 years of importing I have never had a major hassle and actually the biggest was when some genuine Mexican left his Big Mac with a bite out of it, Fries and Shake sitting on a carton in the pan, and that made them panic.

Just list what you have show how you bought it and give them the photos that show a thousand stories. Bucking the system causes lots of grief, using it to your advantage is the only way/

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2010, 12:33:12 pm »
Quote from: muzz67 link=topic=10500.msg112843#msg112843

As for pulling out engines etc, 'the may be dumb, but they are not stupid'

I'm sure you're right, I was being sarcastic.

Even still, you could bring in a legit car and mod it wildly once it's here - and what has the regulation stopped exactly?

If people want it that bad they'll do it no matter what it takes.

Quote from: muzz67 link=topic=10500.msg112843#msg112843

in 40 years of importing I have never had a major hassle
 It's only a recent rule though right?

I do understand it won't affect most of us anyway.

s

Offline muzz67

• Worked
  • Account Suspended By Owners Request
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2010, 12:43:21 pm »
The Rules I believe came into force vis VSB10 in April of 2010, have a read at

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_vehicles/general/index.aspx

Offline fangstang

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2010, 03:23:16 pm »
the latest Unique Cars has a write up on this issue and just like most government agencies each customs officer will get his own meaning out of the rules so basically what one officer will let in another wont.
ive had this problem for years with my other hobby and it really @!#*$ you off!!!

Offline fatrider

• Pony
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2010, 03:01:55 pm »
Any more good/bad stories to share?

From reading some other forums it appears that we should start seeing some better clarification on what is classed as modified over the next week or so.

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2010, 03:21:33 pm »
The silly part about the whole thing is regardless if you import a standard car & go nuts on it or import one already modded it still needs to be engineered for rego anyway. The only real hurdle that makes sence to me is that an Engineer cant see the progress of an import mod. But saying its ok if it was Modded back at Cobb & Co in 1786 strikes that out anyway.

Offline fatrider

• Pony
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2010, 06:25:58 pm »
I don't have a problem with these cars that are refused entry that have fully fabricated chassis and glass body work and are being passed off as a 1932 model.

But there needs to be clarification on what is really classed as modified. Surely new mag wheels (not talking about 20" rims on a Camaro) are not modifications. New paint, engine improvements, better brakes etc should all be fine as well. If a car is more than 21 years old surely it needs modifications with the available technology to make it a safer car.

I have driven plenty of stock pre 89 vehicles that I would never feel safe in due to the old technology of brakes. Sure they may never be as safe as a 2010 model Kia :- but I would prefer it had upgraded brakes etc

Maybe the solution is better that all imports have to be engineered before rego. If you want to import a Harley that just goes in the "man room" and will never be regoed (because it would never pass engineering) why can't you?

Offline fatrider

• Pony
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2010, 06:58:43 pm »
I have read through that and all I can take is you can't modify a vehicle to be something it isn't. Such as a VW/Porsche, which is fine.

I know they are only rumors, but I am hearing a vehicle with a replacement engine (not a blown one, but just a newer technology enhanced engine such as efi) or disc brakes are not allowed in under the 1989 scheme.

I am looking to bring in a stock unit to build my project, so I am not worried. I am going over next month to look. It would have been nice if I also found a 66 coupe with improved features to also send home if I could :=

Offline mark678

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2010, 05:06:01 pm »
Hooray ......approval arrived today so thats 19days from when asked for pics, was cutting it fine ship arrives in a couple days..... hopefully next approval is quicker as i already sent them those pics, ship left last week so all should be good.  

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2010, 06:07:44 am »

Do you mean that you shipped a car & had it almost here, before approval was granted & also have others under way with the same deal (IE; not approved before export) ?

Going by what you have posted in the past I had assumed you were a 'professional" at this.

For anyone else reading this, DO NOT allow a car to leave the exporting shore until you have the approval in your hand.

From the government site....

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_vehicles/general/index.aspx

It is strongly recommended that you do not ship your vehicle to Australia until such time as you are issued with an Import Approval. If you ship your vehicle before receiving an approval and your vehicle arrives before the application is processed, you may incur storage costs from the shipping company/freight forwarder. You may also be open to prosecution, as it is an offence to import a vehicle without an import approval. Importation takes place when a vehicle is landed within the port of intended discharge and not once the vehicle clears customs control. If the import application is not approved, you will have to either export the vehicle or have it destroyed at your own expense. Destruction will need to take place under Customs supervision.

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2010, 06:38:39 am »

Have to second that Kerry. Not a recommended idea

Offline HAPPY ONE

• Worked
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2010, 08:04:16 am »

Totally agree with what you guys are saying - yep not a good idea to let your car come with out the approval.

However,  just a point that is pretty clearly being missed here ....The DOTARS form states 17 days for processing........it is currently running at around 35 - 40 days...Houston we have a problem!!

DOTARS  - In my view, need to come clean and either amend the days mentioned on the form or get their act together...

Sorry , but I don't agree with the softly softly approach when it stuffs everyone around,  irrespective of there work load - there not the only ones under paid and over worked!!

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2010, 11:40:09 am »
Quote from: GRUMPY ONE link=topic=10500.msg113551#msg113551

Totally agree with what you guys are saying - yep not a good idea to let your car come with out the approval.

However,  just a point that is pretty clearly being missed here ....The DOTARS form states 17 days for processing........it is currently running at around 35 - 40 days...Houston we have a problem!!

DOTARS  - In my view, need to come clean and either amend the days mentioned on the form or get their act together...

Sorry , but I don't agree with the softly softly approach when it stuffs everyone around,  irrespective of there work load - there not the only ones under paid and over worked!!

Issue is the Aussie dollar went up, the US economy tanked, therefore cars over there became available to ship here. No government dept can react to something like that. By the time they had the funding to get more people the flood would be over.

Having "worked" (oxymoron I know) in a gov dept before, I know that is how it is. Also when you call them, someone actually answers the phone, they are very knowledgeable & helpfull. You have to consider their side as well.

Offline tim_morrison82

• Blue Printed
    • http://s806.photobucket.com/home/tim_morrison82/allalbums
« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2010, 12:04:45 pm »
I guess if you are doing that with your own cars, good luck to you. you know what the consequences are.

but if you are importing someone elses car without approval, you'd want to have a good life insurrance policy. and a good lawyer.

not saying anyone is doing this, but if i was being treated that way as a buyer, i'd want to kill someone!

All the cars mark is bringing in are his cars at the time, then are going up for sale once they are here. so he's playing with his own fate. i personally wouldn't but thats me.