Back into the EFI conversion

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Back into the EFI conversion  (Read 44581 times)

Offline TimR67

• Worked
« on: March 01, 2010, 03:05:16 pm »
Ive nearly finished all the jobs around the house for the Mrs, so its time to get back into the mustang.  EFI Windsor and 4speed auto out of NC Fairlane is now going to happen.  Just picked up an NC Fairlane with a bit of damage to the front, engine and trans are in good nick and run well.  Lets see how long it takes me to get it all installed in the mustang and running

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 03:13:47 pm »
Should be a great conversion, does it look fairly straight forward without having to beef things up? Will drive like a dream. Good luck with it.
Rick

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 04:38:40 pm »
Keep us informed Tim. Looking fwd to seeing this project in the flesh....finished.:(
Sounds like a top 67 soon to be cruisin around.;2
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 04:59:19 pm »
Check out Scott66stang's thread, plenty of good info for you there.

http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=6440

Offline hybrid

• Blue Printed
  • Account Suspended By Owners Request
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 05:00:42 pm »
Run it on a Megasquirt... you'll have it running in no time!
- Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.
- Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away, barefoot, and you've got his shoes.

Offline TimR67

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 05:32:45 pm »

Yep followed Scotts project, got plenty of tips and ideas from him

Offline eri67

• Blue Printed
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 07:17:34 pm »

Offline TimR67

• Worked
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 08:27:00 pm »
Yep had an EB XR8, diff out of it ended up in the stang, then I stripped the EB and sort of lost interest in the whole thing. Had a meltdown, 6 months off work, lost the plot for a while. I sold off all the EB stuff and then was going to sell the stang.  I couldn't bring myself to sell it so I covered it up and didn't touch it for about a year.  Then a mate bought a stang and I gave him a hand, then I joined up here just as the "hooken a brother up" thread was starting off, then before I knew it I was keen on the stang and back into it.  I was going to just stick a carbed 289 in as I had sold off all the EFI gear a year earlier.  But then I had a brainwave and thought that I could just buy another EB or NC Fairlane and do what I wanted to do originally, which was to build a convertible Mustang resto-mod.  Then through a friend of my wifes I located a crashed V8 92 NC Fairlane that the owner wanted to get rid of for only $200.  So after a 5 hr round trip to pick it up its all mine and the fun begins

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 08:34:44 pm »
A liveable dream Tim!
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline eri67

• Blue Printed
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 06:22:39 am »
Originally posted by TimR67
Yep had an EB XR8, diff out of it ended up in the stang, then I stripped the EB and sort of lost interest in the whole thing. Had a meltdown, 6 months off work, lost the plot for a while. I sold off all the EB stuff and then was going to sell the stang.  I couldn't bring myself to sell it so I covered it up and didn't touch it for about a year.  Then a mate bought a stang and I gave him a hand, then I joined up here just as the "hooken a brother up" thread was starting off, then before I knew it I was keen on the stang and back into it.  I was going to just stick a carbed 289 in as I had sold off all the EFI gear a year earlier.  But then I had a brainwave and thought that I could just buy another EB or NC Fairlane and do what I wanted to do originally, which was to build a convertible Mustang resto-mod.  Then through a friend of my wifes I located a crashed V8 92 NC Fairlane that the owner wanted to get rid of for only $200.  So after a 5 hr round trip to pick it up its all mine and the fun begins

Good on you Tim, gret to see another mustang owner struggle but persevere through thick and thin :(

Offline jas24zzk

• Worked
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 11:20:02 pm »
On ya tim!
good to see you still pluggin away mate!

If you still see woody, give him a poke in the eye for me.

Jas

Offline TimR67

• Worked
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 07:19:57 am »
Gday Jas, Haven't seen Woody for ages.
PS I hear you have moved into a new shop, where are you now?

Offline donoauto

• Worked
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 10:45:44 am »
  I don`t want to be the poofter that suggests problems , BUT , I`m pretty sure that model has "Smartlock" immobilisation where the Body Control Module (located above handbrake under dash) accepts that we have the right key & permits the engine ECU to start the engine. Just went through similar job in a Stang where customer was using all AU Fairmont stuff. He ended up using the BCM & AU ignition switch to keep security. But I think 1 of these EFI companies ( try talking to injectronics in Melb) could probably be able to bypass this security by modifying the ECU.
He mounted battery in the boot , factory AU under bonnet fuse/relay box behind drivers side (RH drive) headlamp & used just about whole wiring harness from the AU to make his life a simple as possible. By keeping most wiring factory makes life easy for any technicians that have to fault find.
Regards ,

Mark.

Auto-electrician & car A/C guy.

Offline TimR67

• Worked
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 12:13:16 pm »
Thanks for the tips donauto.  I think I will use the entire loom from the Fairlane, it seems to be the less complicated way to go.  The smartlock is no dramas as this Fairlane is the pre smartlock one.  The series 1 NC and EB didn't get smartlock, it was introduced mid 92 with the series 2 EB.  But for those with smartlock you can get a smartlock bypass module from a few places that wires in near the ECU, its only about $50 and they tell me it sends a pulse to the ECU that replicates the smartlock system, i think thats how it goes.  Ive had a look at a few EFI conversions but this is the first that I have attempted.  i will sing out for you if I need advice

Offline mert

• Supercharged
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010, 01:44:51 pm »
For the easiest EFI the Powerjection systems have gotten pretty good reviews.  Bolt-on for the most part, assuming you have a running engine in the car.  

Not cheap, but far less work than cobbling together a buch of bits and making it "fit"!

http://www.australianauto.com.au/HTML/01_AirFilters&Kits/000_powerjection.html

8R01S, 8R03S, 8R01C-Cal Special, 8F01X - EXP500 Repli-bute

Offline scott66stang

• Worked
  • Account Suspended
    • http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=6440&page=1
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2010, 02:04:03 pm »
Thanks for the tips donauto.  I think I will use the entire loom from the Fairlane, it seems to be the less complicated way to go.  The smartlock is no dramas as this Fairlane is the pre smartlock one.  The series 1 NC and EB didn't get smartlock, it was introduced mid 92 with the series 2 EB.  But for those with smartlock you can get a smartlock bypass module from a few places that wires in near the ECU, its only about $50 and they tell me it sends a pulse to the ECU that replicates the smartlock system, i think thats how it goes.  Ive had a look at a few EFI conversions but this is the first that I have attempted.  i will sing out for you if I need advice

Correct Tim , mine is also the series 1 NC fairlane without smartlock. I have had no problem fitting the engine and electronic gbox using the entire wiring harness. But it is very time consuming removing the wiring you dont need. I just hung the entire wiring harness with all the computers cruise control , ABS , climate control and cluster and battery connected , over the fenders and roof and removed what i didnt want while making sure the engine was still starting etc. Once i got that sorted i poked it through the firewall in a pile in the passenger side and road tested making sure it ran ok and the gears changed.

Offline TimR67

• Worked
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2010, 02:12:24 pm »
Yep thats the plan Scott, How is yours going?

Offline TimR67

• Worked
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2010, 02:18:31 pm »
Originally posted by mert
For the easiest EFI the Powerjection systems have gotten pretty good reviews.  Bolt-on for the most part, assuming you have a running engine in the car.  

Not cheap, but far less work than cobbling together a buch of bits and making it "fit"!

http://www.australianauto.com.au/HTML/01_AirFilters&Kits/000_powerjection.html

I have heard good things about the Powerjection as well but at $3500 its a bit expensive.  I have got a complete and running V8 NC Fairlane that i will use the engine, trans wiring and computers out of, it cost me $200, If I sell off all the bits that i dont need It will owe me nothing.  Should be a cheap conversion.

Offline scott66stang

• Worked
  • Account Suspended
    • http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=6440&page=1
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2010, 02:49:02 pm »
Yep thats the plan Scott, How is yours going?
Slowly !! Its taking forever , with the heat we have had , its been impossible to work in the shed. A big industial fan i have is just like having a large fan heater blowing on me. The days which are cooler i end up having to do otherthings instead despite my intension. The last 3 days for example have been perfect working wheather , however my daughter just had a bad accident in her car at 4am in the morning on the way to work in a secluded country part of a highway 30 min from home .She went sideways accross the double one way lane at 110kph and backwards into a drain 20m of the road. She was unharmed but very shaken. I pulled it out with my 4wd and trailered it home and have been doing all the insurance paperwork and phone calls and getting quotes , aswell as fixing up another car i had just pulled off the road so she can get to work. I will get there eventually

Offline mert

• Supercharged
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2010, 11:42:07 pm »
I have heard good things about the Powerjection as well but at $3500 its a bit expensive.

Yes, $3500 if you get raped by a local distributor.  Buy in the US at less than $2k, if you are in for $2.5k w/shipping/duty from the US you are doing average.  So ~1k less.

http://www.spiderautomotive.com/70026.html

Still not cheap, but way less than sourcing here... not sure how the local vendors justify an additonal $1k over retail + shipping if you buy "over there"...

Similar note, priced some Cal-tracs a while ago.  Quoted $900 Aus, plus shipping at $100 (FMD!!!) from the "local" supplier.  I can buy the exact same part from the manufacterer for ~$350 US plus shipping. About $500 Aus total to my door, so a few hundered savings ovel local and get the exact same item for by doing 5 minutes of homework....  

I want to support local vendors, but they don't seem to understand a quick search on the web finds the exact same parts at 60-75% of what they want... how they can ask the prices they do I just don't get, unless they are paying retail prices for parts and passing it on...
8R01S, 8R03S, 8R01C-Cal Special, 8F01X - EXP500 Repli-bute

Offline hybrid

• Blue Printed
  • Account Suspended By Owners Request
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2010, 11:55:58 pm »
Powerjection is throttle body injection... not multi-point.

I guess the benefit is that you don't have to change/modify manifold, but if you're going to go injection, don't half do it!
- Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.
- Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away, barefoot, and you've got his shoes.

Offline TimR67

• Worked
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2010, 04:00:48 pm »
Time to start ripping the Fairlane apart.  Took bloody ages to move everything out of the way to get it on the hoist, had to move the ute, so I could move the other fairlane and then move the falcon, none of them going, so the kids helped me push them out of the way.  Got the Fairlane up on the hoist, all looks pretty neat underneath apart from a massive leak from the steering rack.  I did a little bit but then my "apprentice" found me and wanted to play, so that ended todays work,I might get out in the shed later when the Mrs gets home.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 03:45:09 pm by peterp »

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2010, 06:47:00 pm »
Tim, sounds like a nice project to keep you busy.  Can't wait to see how it goes.

Mac

Offline jas24zzk

• Worked
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2010, 09:49:06 am »
Sounds like a little bit of kingswood country going on...

gotta move the torana, to get the camira out to get to the kingswood..

go ted!

Offline Lewy47

• Stallion
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2010, 02:42:50 pm »
You should be a happy man Tim. A hoist for a start and then an apprentice, who if you treat her right will be changing oil alongside you long after most employees have given you the bird and clocked off for the final time. I'm not sure if those fingers are trying to say 'V8? yeah two of 'em' or perhaps it's supposed to be a W for Windsor!