Back into the EFI conversion

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Back into the EFI conversion  (Read 44587 times)

Offline TimR67

• Worked
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2010, 03:39:42 pm »
Yep she is only 6 but is car mad.  She's learning what all the tools are which is handy.  Ive got her trained pretty well: she loves mustangs and she barracks for Collingwood.

Offline salesy1

• P Plates
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2010, 09:33:08 am »
tim,
using later model donor for my conversion.
no problems with making things fit and work from donor car if you are patient.
used the fact key, computers and loom - no problems.
mine was a nightmare at first however, bit of mucking around, good info and helping hand from mates including donoauto, lots of beers and we got it started.
you shouldn't have any problems with the NC.

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2010, 10:31:46 am »
Tim, my 10 yo Grand daughter  loves our 67.
She can't wait to come on cruises with us.
Her father is a HSV fanatic having owned several versions with a Black VX GTS being the current one.
She still can't get enough of our Mustang, and loves to help with its cleaning.
She unfortunately barracks for the Kangas.
It's nice to have an apprentice, a female one at that.:f
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline TimR67

• Worked
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2010, 05:23:16 pm »
Got a bit done today, took all the front panels off the fairlane and cut out the radiator support, spent most of the day disconnecting and tagging all the wiring under the bonnet. My apprentice "helped" out for most of the day, she had a great time drawing her name in the floor with the oil that I spilt.   The mustang waits patiently in the other shed for its new heart.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 03:45:28 pm by peterp »

Offline TimR67

• Worked
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2010, 10:38:29 pm »
Just spent the last 3 days in the shed.  Fairlane completely stripped.  Transmission came out first

Then I pulled the engine out and put it on a stand

Then I removed the entire wiring loom, this took ages as I labelled everything

Fairlane was then pushed out to the graveyard,  Ive got a bit of a collection of Fords in the back paddock

Then the stang was pushed from the garage back into the workshop.  Over the next few days I will take the front panels and bonnet off and then trial fit the engine and trans, Hopefully in the near future I can drive the bloody thing out of the shed as I am sick of pushing it.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 03:45:46 pm by peterp »

Offline TimR67

• Worked
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2010, 07:35:47 pm »
Another day in the shed, spent some time cleaning and rearranging crap, in the arvo I dropped the engine in for a trial fit, just to see what it needs and what needs to be moved.  Pretty happy as she fits good, the only issues are the AC compressor touching the left shocktower and the engine sits a fraction too high.  To solve these issues i am going to try a set of Ron Morris Performance Adjustable engine mounts, these look like they will do the trick, they have an inch of side to side adjustment and 3 inches front to rear, they also come in a half inch lowered version.  Most of the Mustang parts vendors in the states stock them, i'll just have to hunt for the best price.  I'll probably go with Mustangs Unlimited even though their price of about $250 US is dearer, they are easy to deal with and ship via USPS which is the cheapest option.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 03:46:02 pm by peterp »

Offline Horselover

• Worked
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2010, 07:01:39 pm »
Looking really good Tim.

Is it finished?

I notice the date on your post is 19 Aug 09.

Cheers,
Warwick

Offline TimR67

• Worked
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2010, 07:43:56 pm »
Not finished yet, hopefully I can get it running in the next few months

Offline Shayne93

• Stallion
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2010, 07:55:01 pm »
Hey Tim, have you got those adjustable engine mounts yet, I'm using my fairlane bits in my 66 and using the aircon and just wondering about the engine mounts. For 250 odd bux, wouldnt even bother modifying a stock set if they do the trick.

Offline TimR67

• Worked
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2010, 08:45:40 am »
Hopefully the engine mounts turn up next week, I'll let you know how I go

Offline Shayne93

• Stallion
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2010, 05:28:16 pm »
Its probably a little way off for both you and I as yet, but as the auto trannys are electronically controlled, the VSS (Vehicle speed sensor) in the tranny does the speedo. Found this I might give a go http://www.ronmorrisperformance.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rmp&Product_Code=2106&Category_Code=Sensors and this http://www.ronmorrisperformance.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rmp&Product_Code=7110&Category_Code=Trans_Parts, runs the Auto tranny computer and the mustang speedo with the addition of their speedo cable from what i can gather, apparently if you just jam the cable in the tranny and it doesnt have the vss it will run in limp mode (3rd gear).

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2010, 05:50:36 pm »
Latecomer, sorry!

I'm with Hybrid, the only time I'd go with TBI, would be when I did my GQ Patrol, I put EA 3.9 injection on it, as it was quite easy, and very cheap, and all I really wanted was better cold start, and no fuel bowls for better wheeling ability.
But if your spending real money, why go backwards, or sideways. TBI is basicly just and electronic carby.
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline TimR67

• Worked
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2010, 02:05:24 pm »
Ahh the serentity, the Mrs teaches karate this morning, the girls are at netball then swimming, the young bloke has gone to play with a friend, so that leaves me home alone, time for some shed therapy.  I got my adjustable engine mounts from CJ Pony parts the other day.  They are easy to fit up, engine went in real easy. Although Im not too sure on the strength of them, from the round rubber bush to the engine is just one bit of steel plate. The trans fitted up good, The only drama that I can see is the starter motor just touches the steering rack rubber bellows, I should be able to sort that out by just moving the engine across a little bit.  As the trans is longer than the original C4 I have to get a new trans crossmember made up.  Im a retard with fabrication so I will make one up out of cardboard and get a mate of mine who runs a Hot Rod Restoration/Panel Shop to make it up for me.  Heres a few pics of this mornings work.  Back to the shed for me now, gunna sus out the driveshaft, Ive got a few in the shed, hopefully the EB V8 one will do the job.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 03:46:22 pm by peterp »

Offline Shayne93

• Stallion
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2010, 06:01:26 pm »
I'll definatly be getting a pair of those engine mounts for when mine is due to start having the engine played with. Hopefully around Christmas time i should be able to start mocking up with it.

Offline donoauto

• Worked
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2010, 08:37:31 am »
Quote from: TimR67 link=topic=9637.msg112655#msg112655
the Mrs teaches karate

Geez mate , you`d be watching your P`s & Q`s round the place or risk being suspended in mid-air with a flurry of upper cuts:w
Regards ,

Mark.

Auto-electrician & car A/C guy.

Offline TimR67

• Worked
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2010, 12:45:39 pm »
Yep, my wife can beat me up. I try to keep on her good side

Offline dunwood

• Stallion
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2010, 04:09:25 pm »
Quote from: TimR67 link=topic=9637.msg112655#msg112655

What sort of steering rack is that? is that out of the ED? How did you mount it up?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 03:46:32 pm by peterp »

Offline TimR67

• Worked
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2010, 05:15:30 pm »
Its an RRS rack, a LHD one, pretty easy to fit.  

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2010, 06:25:58 pm »
Keep at it Tim!
Looking good.:(
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline TimR67

• Worked
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2010, 04:55:38 pm »
Not much more done on the stang, waiting for the transmission crossmember to be made, Hopefully should have it this week, then I can measure for the tailshaft and get that done.  Pushed the stang out of the shed today as my mate had to use the hoist.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 03:46:47 pm by peterp »

Offline junior

• Worked
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2010, 06:25:57 pm »
thats just a beautiful car ! im sure you cant wait to drive her down the road !

Offline TimR67

• Worked
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2010, 06:34:20 pm »
Yep cant wait, Im over this restoration,  I just want to hit the road and cruise.

Offline junior

• Worked
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2010, 02:18:18 pm »
haha I had a tough enough time waiting for mine to land back from the USA let alone restoring it after those initial handful of months ! however, I'm keen to head down that road in the next few years. Eventually selling the coupe and want to go all out on a 67/68 fastback.. I'm sure it will be many a year in the making ! best of luck mate !

Offline TimR67

• Worked
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2010, 06:24:36 pm »
Gearbox crossmember done, just gotta attach it to the chassis rails, I'll put a section of angle with some nuts welded to it in the chassis rails to bolt the crossmember to. Once thats done I can get a tailshaft made up.  Ive got the next 5 weeks off so I'll be in the shed full time, hopefully I can get it running before I go back to work.

Offline jcmc

• Pony
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2010, 12:14:18 pm »
Whats the plan for fitting the EFI fuel pump? Low pressure lift pump into a surge tank, or fit an EFI pump into the factory tank somehow?
--
1966 Mustang Convertible, T-code, Candy Red, Black Std Interior, 200ci of fury
1994 Ford XR6 replica, Dynamic White, Leather, 17in chasers, 620rwhp, 10.86@130
2003 Falcon XR6 Turbo ute, Silo Black, Leather interior, Premo sound, 19in GTPs