Opinions required on paint type please

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Opinions required on paint type please  (Read 13329 times)

Offline jonn

• Stallion
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2009, 07:24:50 am »
Originally posted by shaunp
Jon I don't know what it is but I wouldn't bother with it. You've got your car back to a shell, and spent hours on repairs don't skimp on materials, in the scheme of things even Glasurit is cheap compared to the labour in fixing an old car. Have look at Lou's 66vert on the members page this car was done properly, 14 years ago and it looks like it was painted last year, this car realy turns heads but it's a dead stock C code vert, with nice wheels, nice paint and body work, I think the engine got no more than a set of rings. Paint and body are the single most important things to get right on a resto, the rest of the stuff just bolts on, you can change an engine in an afternoon, but if the paint plays up your going back to steel again. Everyone should forget about quick engines and gold plated steering racks get the paint right first, the rest is easy you just bolt it in. And don't think acrylic won't do you any harm either, there are plenty of old painters out there that can't breath, from spraying NC and Acrylic for years don't worry about that. If your sensible with 2K you'll be fine considering you'll only be doing one job. Ventilation is the key.

I agree re getting the paint right. While only the inside of my cowl has been painted, I made the choice a few weeks ago and went with PPG 2-Pac.

New paint systems come and go, thus my question to get the back ground on the ISO Free systems. Thanks for the feedback.

regards
Jon

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2009, 09:04:23 am »
PPG stuf is fine.

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2009, 09:33:23 am »
Spartan (Sikkens) used to do an iso free 2k. I think it was Novacryl or Novabase from memory. It worked ok but not as well as the Eurocryl line. It went on nice but had a few durability issues. Spartan dropped it after a couple of years.
Apart from that even though it was iso free it had some nasty stuff in it. You have to remember that if it makes paint go hard it cant be good for you.

Offline seany-boy

• Worked
  • Car: 1970 Mach1
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2009, 03:46:53 pm »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the info on this thread about isocyanates and masks. I don't paint but have a apprentice son who does so this was all news to me but a bit scary. I have been surfing the web just to understand this a bit more and thought I would share 3 documents I found.
http://www.srsafety.com/upl/files/5995.pdf
http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Filtering_out_isocyanates.html
http://www.chess-safety.com/proxysite/respirators_and_isocyanates_4_2006.pdf

They have very slightly differing views, all agree a full face mask is best but I believe this is not very practical in real life, air fed systmes get best marks obviously.

anyway, I have no expertise but thought these were of interest.

Cheers

Sean

Offline mach70

• Blue Printed
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2009, 10:11:23 pm »
Hmmmmm I will point this out to the Sundstrom rep and see now what he says given that its there in their own pdf.

Shawn

Offline mach70

• Blue Printed
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2009, 11:07:23 pm »
Ok found out more info about the pdf stating that the 294 filter is ok to use.

Its not!

Here in Australia it does not meet the Australian Standards for isocynates.

It is legal elsewhere in the world but here its not.

The only option is the Airline.