Are you going to put these gearshifters on?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Are you going to put these gearshifters on?  (Read 133627 times)

Offline moe

• Top Streeter
  • Name: "Moe"
« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2009, 12:48:30 pm »
Power to weight ratio is looking pretty impressive at the moment, can't believe how much was hidden by the red paint and shelby kit.

Is there a planned finished time for the bodywork and paint job??

Offline rickchampion

• Blue Printed
« Reply #101 on: May 11, 2009, 01:05:21 pm »
whats the bodywork gonna cost about 15 grand?

Offline stangLover

• Blue Printed
    • http://www.eleanorforhire.com.au
« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2009, 01:20:11 pm »
Hey Guys,

I'm happy to share with you everything that is happening with this project......photos, updates, issues, ups and downs...etc..... except for the price. That will have to remain between myself and Steve.
Lets just say he has been more than just generous :(:(
Even though there was going to be EXPECTED surprises...just didn't know how big or small they'd be, Steve has stuck to his word and hasn't altered the quotation.

I was more than impressed on Saturday when I saw the car....the front end looked brand new. But seeing these photos of the roof and rear end......;x....what's left of it??

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2009, 01:22:12 pm »
Originally posted by rickchampion
whats the bodywork gonna cost about 15 grand?

Bit more than that I'd say, don't forget the cost of the panels not just the labour, make no mistake there is alot of labour in this car, and a lot still to come, having said that the body prep proir to paint will be less cause it's mostly new panels now, but still a good few man hours. I reckon I've got an idea of cost all up painted.

Offline stangLover

• Blue Printed
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2009, 01:41:48 pm »
..can i just add...I'd encourage your thoughts or speculation on total costing.
Lets not forget:
New wiring harness needs to be purchased and installed
New interior has been purchased but still needs to be installed
New front windscreen needs to be purchased and installed - old rear screen is still in good condition.
New Rubber kit for whole car has been purchased but still needs to be installed
Steve suggests its a good time now to either reco or upgrade the suspension.
Disc brakes all round has been purchased still needs to be installed
Need to purchase and install new Instrument Panel.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2009, 02:08:48 pm »
Most cost effective front end up grade is Falcon, Just use XF stuff works fine, it's cheap and you can buy pads at Super cheap on a Sunday arvo if you have to. You can run an entire xf front end or just the top arms stubs and brakes. XF calipers are alloy and can be polished to look like chrome so they look sweet through the wheel. XF top arms don't have greaseable bushes like the mustang ones so one less thing to grease and to squeak. I'm going to have a go at the EA rear disc conversion looks like a cost effective option and a again generic Falcon parts.  Use the greasble aftermarket spring pivots, from Fulcrum or Nolethane, Cut an 1/8 of an inch off the caster bar bush spacer tubes, run a 1inch front sway bar. For front springs on a small block car you can use KINGS springs, lowered to suit XF 6 cylinder (falcon is heavier than a pony so you use the 6cyl spring). Front screen is nothing and I'm sure Steve will pull them in once the car is painted. Even if you  have not got XF brakes I'd still run XF top arms as they are braced and use metalistic type bushes. Run a 3/4 rear bar, try to get one that mounts on the body not the axle. Get all your bits blasted and powder coated  or have Steve give them a hit with some black 2k, Ball joints etc are just Falcon no biggy. Does it have Power steer?

Offline stangLover

• Blue Printed
« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2009, 02:22:24 pm »
:[ no power steer...... although I've been hitting the gym weights and going hardcore, so should be able to steer the non power steer with my little finger :+

All the above made absolutely no sense to me, but I'm sure it did for Steve!:(

Although I'm sure the disk brakes i purchased were from a XF setup. It was a forum members from here that was selling them.

Offline stangLover

• Blue Printed
« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2009, 02:23:53 pm »
Apart from the brakes...which i already have.
How much does the above amount to in $$?.....and will the above be an upgrade on what I already have or just a replacement?

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2009, 02:53:44 pm »
Bit of both, upgrade and replacement. The XF stuff is 20 years newer and while not that different it is better, the aftermerket bigger front sway bar, springs etc will tighen it no end, Kings springs are about $100 a pair, set of KYB gas adjust shocks will be about $130 a pair. replacement ball joints etc are just falcon full set uppers and lower around $100 set for good quality ones, spring pivots similar. $100 worth of other crap like bushes, camber pins etc, sway bars around $160 each. It's important not to get too carried away with really stiff front end set up on these cars or the flex like hell and a well put together one has pretty tight gaurd to bonnet gaps. I've seen them rub paint off the bonnet edges when driven hard with stiff front ends. I've got the LHD power steer from my car if you want it. Don't know what it's like probably needs freshen, but my car was not very knocked  around just well driven and faded, never been painted since new apart from some touch ups. Never damaged in the front so the steer would be ok I reckon. You can get really carried away buying trick aftermarket suspensions for these things, but I don't see the need, I don't really think they need to drive like a BF falcon, as long as they corner ok and stop ok, they are fine to drive, and again you can buy generic ford bits anywhere in Australia, you will never be stuck. That's my view away, They should drive a bit like an old car albeit a good old car, after all that's kind of what it's about.
 Make sure Steve puts 2 torque boxes on it to firm it up while he's there. It's looking good what colour are you painting it underneath? body colour, black, red oxide?

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2009, 03:00:42 pm »
Including the interior, the paint, the new panels , the pieces you list and the total labour, I am guessing you will be up for about $30k.

Then add an eleanor spec drivetrain - $20k.
Add the above to the initial purchase cost (IIRC) gets you an eleanor for $80k which I guess is about the going rate.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #110 on: May 11, 2009, 04:03:34 pm »
Shaunp can you use the whole XF setup, upper & lower arms, stub axle, rotor & caliper, radius rod etc? If so that would be the go I think. Then Bas can re sell the front brake set up we already have as it is a hybrid type setup. Plus it still needs calipers & a few odds & ends.

Offline tom289

• Pony
« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2009, 05:13:07 pm »

WOW !

thats a restoration,  at least you know its done right and no rust
in the  old girl when finished, SORRY I MEANT NEW GIRL,

you are going to have a really nice car when its finished ,,,

cheers
tom...................    

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2009, 05:16:11 pm »
Most of the time you just use the stubs, brakes and top arms. The mustang lower arms have different size inner bushes and camber pins (Same as XY). If you use the XF lower arms you need to also use the caster bars and change the camber bolts. I guess Bazz's car is rough as in the front end so swapping it all may be the go in case anything is bent. XF brakes are well good enough, plus the calipers alloy. You need to change the outer tie rods as the falcon stubs have a larger taper in the steering arms. If Baz has small centre holes in his wheels you'll need XY/XA hubs/rotors. You can buy combo, one piece hubs&rotors new if you have XF hubs. The XF calipers polish up nice if you want or just blast them so they are clean. Cut the caster bar bush spacing tubes shorter so the clamp the rubbers tighter. This also stops a lot of lower arm movment while the suspension is working. Rebuild stuff for XF brakes are cheap as, stock RDA rotors are like $34, more if you want slotted etc. Get the stubs of a sedan not a wagon or a Fairlane as the steering arm is different for the long wheel base, so the ackerman  different, they reckon. Poeple get carried away with brake packages etc but really they don't need it just looks flasher at a car show, in real terms a waste of loot. Baz is spending it where it counts fixing the shell.

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #113 on: May 12, 2009, 10:51:17 am »
A few more pics uploaded, rust repairs needed before qtrs can go on. This thing is bigger than Ben Hur.:(

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #114 on: May 12, 2009, 08:59:39 pm »
Nice work boys

coming along very nicely.....Now if I can sort a flight out to fly your ar5e over here to help me build ricks

we'll be all good  :w

Offline stangLover

• Blue Printed
« Reply #115 on: May 13, 2009, 02:35:37 pm »
Hey Shaun,
I can take you up on your offer on the power steer box?
What's included and what's missing that i have to buy etc.?
Thanks heaps :f

Offline stangLover

• Blue Printed
« Reply #116 on: May 13, 2009, 02:36:31 pm »
Who's that Shermatt, me or Steve?:f

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #117 on: May 13, 2009, 04:08:27 pm »
Originally posted by Shermatt
Nice work boys

coming along very nicely.....Now if I can sort a flight out to fly your ar5e over here to help me build ricks

Sounds tempting, have always fancied a trip to the US::

Pics updated, we are starting to look like a car again. The slow & painstaiking process of getting the gaps right begins. Once that is done the qtrs can be welded on.

Offline stangLover

• Blue Printed
« Reply #118 on: May 13, 2009, 04:37:10 pm »
Hey Steve,
Please check U2U....:(

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #119 on: May 14, 2009, 09:56:53 am »
Originally posted by soc123_au
Originally posted by Shermatt
Nice work boys

Sounds tempting, have always fancied a trip to the US::

Pics updated, we are starting to look like a car again. The slow & painstaiking process of getting the gaps right begins. Once that is done the qtrs can be welded on.

Steve apart form some shopping dents, my 67 is straight as, no big hits ever, it's got pretty even and tight gaps much beter than an Oz ford of the same era, not sure if they are all like this, The bonnet gaps are quite tight and virtually match the the gaurd to plenum chamber. But no one has had a go at my car they just drove it till it stopped. You guys aren't mucking around with this car, hard to find a shop to work so full on on a resto, particulary one like this.

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #120 on: May 14, 2009, 12:46:45 pm »
Its not that much different to a big smash job. More accuratly 3 big smash jobs on one car. I think the important thing on a project like this is to approach it in the right way so it doesnt get too daunting. It also helps that Bas is happy to let us get on with it & not want to take shortcuts. BTW thanks for the tip on the XF stuff, We should have it all today so we can clean it up & rebush it etc. The holes in the towers are now gone so it will look a lot cleaner. Hopefully when this puppy hits the streets we pick up a few more of these types of jobs.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #121 on: May 14, 2009, 01:20:36 pm »
Originally posted by soc123_au
Its not that much different to a big smash job. More accuratly 3 big smash jobs on one car. I think the important thing on a project like this is to approach it in the right way so it doesnt get too daunting. It also helps that Bas is happy to let us get on with it & not want to take shortcuts. BTW thanks for the tip on the XF stuff, We should have it all today so we can clean it up & rebush it etc. The holes in the towers are now gone so it will look a lot cleaner. Hopefully when this puppy hits the streets we pick up a few more of these types of jobs.  

Except there really wasn't that much pulling to do, just a lot of panel replacement. I'm sure you'll get some extra work out of it.
Don't forget the tie rod hole in the steering arms will be a different size, falcons are bigger. But I think Bas wants a power set up I have spare, pretty sure the inners are like new so it will just need the correct outers fitted, and a seal kit in the ram to be sure. Does his car have a long shaft steering box now or a rag joint on the colomn shaft? The matching  HI ratio steering box I have is a long shaft and he will need his outer colomn because I using this in my car. My car was built 11/66 even though it's 67, some late 67 cars have a 2 piece set up joined by a rag joint like a falcon. You really want the hi ratio box with the power steer so it's not to light and has less turns lock to lock.

Offline stangLover

• Blue Printed
« Reply #122 on: May 14, 2009, 01:34:13 pm »
To be honest when I was first shopping around for someone to do the work, i thought i better find a shop that just does restorations as I'm an impatient basKard....I had the thought that a panel shop that does insurance work will first of all never be interested on taking on this sort of work, and also they would take over a year to complete. There was no way, i was going to wait a year to be driving this thing, i would of preferred to get rid of it than wait that long.
So now you know why I can't thank Steve enough and thank my lucky stars I found him to do the work :(
Not only did he change my perception about panel shops, but what a gentleman he turned out to be, unlike the mob i purchased from ::.....but I'm learning to move on from that and that you can't trust everyones word.

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #123 on: May 14, 2009, 01:48:56 pm »
More pics, in the last one you can see my sad looking 68. Doing Bas's has inspired me to get cracking on it now.

Shaun this one is early without the rag joint so the swapover should be pretty straight forward. I am waiting on a call back for a price to get it recoed before it goes in. Should be a pretty tidy brake, suspension & steering package at buggger all expense by the time it is done.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #124 on: May 14, 2009, 02:48:16 pm »
White line do a 24mm front sway bar, and maybe use some KYB gas adjust shocks, I think the part number for the King springs maybe KFFL01, but not sure, but they are just lowered 6cyl falcon ones. There is a Cortina one you can use also.
seal kits for the ram and valve body are pretty cheap $30-40 each.