Are you going to put these gearshifters on?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Are you going to put these gearshifters on?  (Read 133631 times)

Offline stangLover

• Blue Printed
    • http://www.eleanorforhire.com.au
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2009, 05:16:43 pm »
All I can say is "You're a Legend" :f

Definately want to keep it a lefty!
If I wanted a right hand drive muscle car, I would of bought an Aussie Muscle car.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2009, 06:08:43 pm »
Originally posted by stangLover
All I can say is "You're a Legend" :f

Definately want to keep it a lefty!
If I wanted a right hand drive muscle car, I would of bought an Aussie Muscle car.

But why would you buy a fast Fairmont with stripes when you can have a Mustang for  fraction of the price anyway, even if you convert it:(

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2009, 06:23:12 pm »
Big boobs or not, there still our mustangs!

A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2009, 10:53:08 am »
I guess the left vs right hook debate is one that will never be decided. I personaly prefer RHD & once Bas's beast is a bit further along we will start on my 68. I think when the time comes I will be trying to pick shaunp's brain for as much info as possible::

A few more pics have been added to Bas's album for those that are interested.

Offline scott66stang

• Worked
  • Account Suspended
    • http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=6440&page=1
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2009, 11:38:30 am »
Fantastic Thread , its Motoring along (pardon the pun)
Love the lifting gear in that workshop.
Apart from the extra costs , you got to be happy your gonna have a near new car in the end . Great work!

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2009, 12:29:26 pm »
Originally posted by soc123_au
I guess the left vs right hook debate is one that will never be decided. I personaly prefer RHD & once Bas's beast is a bit further along we will start on my 68. I think when the time comes I will be trying to pick shaunp's brain for as much info as possible::

A few more pics have been added to Bas's album for those that are interested.  

Not hard to do for a bloke like yourself. Particulary if you do the bolt in rack job, unlike the more standard approach I took with an XF box and drag link. No need to buy all those Dyna corn RHD panels. I don't think the labour would be much different really, just $5000 extra in panels. Unless they needed replacing already as they did in this case.

Offline JC074

• Blue Printed
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2009, 12:31:27 pm »
shaunp  the drag link - what do you get it off? an XY? and cut t? then i suppose its xray'd for engineers report?
Rock on!

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2009, 12:36:49 pm »
Originally posted by JC074
shaunp  the drag link - what do you get it off? an XY? and cut t? then i suppose its xray'd for engineers report?

That's right, and you can fix up the factory bump steer if you do it right. Guys just up the road from me do the xrays and stamp the link to match the report done. They will fail if the welder can't weld and the x ray is the expensive bit. To do them properly it's 2 cutts 2 xrays.

Offline JC074

• Blue Printed
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2009, 01:27:43 pm »
So who does the cut and weld dude? anyone you recommend?  Im also looking ofr someone ot possibly suppy the drag link!
Rock on!

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2009, 02:00:57 pm »
John Green at Probe Eng does the cutting, and has a jig for each model, but he has an expert Race car welding/building dude do the welding so they don't fail the xray, he does them with a mig but uses different wire and different gas. John does other steering type mods for people building buses, motor homes etc. He normally getts them ready and then this bloke comes down from the North coast for a day, welds them and goes home. John's designs only work if you mount the idler and the box where He does. He does the links for one of the mobs on the Goldcoast that conver stuff as well. Peter Menzies will have stock Falcon links, you can cut up an XA as well. Your 66 will be different to my 67 link as the link is at a different height. John can do modded Falcon stub axles as well to fit Falcon Discs I think to pre 67 cars so the bump steer is ok.

Offline scott66stang

• Worked
  • Account Suspended
    • http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=6440&page=1
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2009, 02:59:05 pm »
So who does the cut and weld dude? anyone you recommend?  Im also looking ofr someone ot possibly suppy the drag link!
Mate here in the west , Mustang West do the conversion including notching the chassis rail for the steering box (to help prevent bumpsteer) and send the draglink  away to get them modified with a engineers certificate .

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2009, 03:18:34 pm »
Originally posted by scott66stang
Mate here in the west , Mustang West do the conversion including notching the chassis rail for the steering box (to help prevent bumpsteer) and send the draglink  away to get them modified with a engineers certificate .

Why would they notch the rail? In fact doubt that would pass in  Eng inspection in QLD. The bump steer is a function of the effective height/angle of the tie rods, if you get that right that's it. You can raise or lower the drag link by the way you bend/postion/ reweld the ends back on. You need to dent the RHD side rail a bit so the XF box sitts flat , due to the shape of the back side of the box but that's it. I can't see what effect the rail has on bump steer, unless it's to do with the way they make their drag link some how, in which case the link is not correct. I had a look at their web site and noticed they don't move the heater controls on the early cars either, this is because if you move them they hit the radio, you need to mod them to clear. Can't see what they do to the rail in the pictures. But there is no need to touch the rails apart from the mounts, and a hit with a hammer.

Offline stangLover

• Blue Printed
« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2009, 04:08:24 pm »
;} don't want to sound rude, but you guys might need a new posting for conversion to RHD as this baby is staying as American as pie!!......

Unless you're talkin about my resto......;3

:+

Offline JC074

• Blue Printed
« Reply #88 on: May 07, 2009, 06:10:06 pm »
Stanglover  -out of curiosity - when your panel guys cut your beast up.....are the bracing it in some way/ Or is the roof enough to stop the car from twisting as such?

JC
Rock on!

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2009, 08:37:38 am »
Stanglover  -out of curiosity - when your panel guys cut your beast up.....are the bracing it in some way/ Or is the roof enough to stop the car from twisting as such?

JC

The car was clamped on the bench before anything was cut off. Everything from the firewall forward was that bad anyway bracing would have been counter productive.

I will get a pic today of where the old plenum had been redrilled for the export brace, will give a good indication of how nasty it was.

With the sills clamped, turret & qtrs in place & the inner plenum, dash frame & l/h torque box still in extra bracing would just be in the way. The new firewall & plenum fit like a glove. The front is coming along nicely as well, in the process of test fitting the guards & bonnet. Cant wait to see the look on Bas's face when he comes for a look tommorow arvo.

Offline JC074

• Blue Printed
« Reply #90 on: May 08, 2009, 09:52:32 am »
LOL....nice one

...sounds expensive!
Rock on!

Offline stangLover

• Blue Printed
« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2009, 10:00:36 am »
:p Like I said .......The guys' a legend!
I'm sure my jaw will drop.
I finally feel good about this project. Even though I was over the moon when the car arrived, deep down I saw lots of problems lurking underneath, but I didn't want to admit it or made myself think that they weren't that bad.:-
Anyway, this is where we're at now and I really feel i've ;4, when I found Steve!

Offline JC074

• Blue Printed
« Reply #92 on: May 08, 2009, 10:10:45 am »
Mintox :)...... I love it when a plan comes tgther :)
Rock on!

Offline BLU302

• Worked
« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2009, 10:44:39 am »
Bas,even though the start of this project was a bit rocky,I think that you've struck gold with your restoration - looks great.
Bob

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2009, 10:46:53 am »
;} don't want to sound rude, but you guys might need a new posting for conversion to RHD as this baby is staying as American as pie!!......

Unless you're talkin about my resto......;3

:+

No i think the best pies come from Yatala pies, not the US the curry chicken are sweet, you can't stop at 1:w

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2009, 01:23:18 pm »
:p Like I said .......The guys' a legend!
I'm sure my jaw will drop.
I finally feel good about this project. Even though I was over the moon when the car arrived, deep down I saw lots of problems lurking underneath, but I didn't want to admit it or made myself think that they weren't that bad.:-
Anyway, this is where we're at now and I really feel i've ;4, when I found Steve!

Thanks Bas your making me blush.

Pics are updated.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2009, 09:18:46 am »
Originally posted by soc123_au
:Thanks Bas your making me blush.

Pics are updated.

It's probably just some red over spray on your face.

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2009, 11:39:58 am »
Red overspray, that could be it. Gotta stop pointing the gun in the wrong direction.

Pics updated, rear end getting some attention.

http://s608.photobucket.com/albums/tt169/St_Marys_Prestige/Bas%20Sheetmetal/

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2009, 12:10:58 pm »
Did you put the holes in the tower or are you filling them up? You're better of just putting XF top arms on them and getting rid of the greaseble bushes. Some clown used an air chisel to put grease hole in my 67.

Offline stangLover

• Blue Printed
« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2009, 12:31:42 pm »
;x.....;x;x;x