Parts from the US

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Parts from the US  (Read 19143 times)

Offline Cruzn65

• Worked
Parts from the US
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2009, 06:46:13 pm »
smaller players are best using USPS, I dont use Cali Musang anymore because I can get parts cheaper from the little guys without the international "extra" charges

Offline GT Sally

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW member since 2008
  • Name: Gazza
Parts from the US
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2009, 08:39:34 pm »
Originally posted by Cruzn65
smaller players are best using USPS, I dont use Cali Musang anymore because I can get parts cheaper from the little guys without the international "extra" charges

Who ARE the little guys?
If you haven't grown up & matured by the age of 55, (65 now & nothin has changed) YOU DON'T HAVE TOO.....Gary

Offline 69candy

• Worked
Parts from the US
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2009, 09:38:16 am »
Has anybody delt with Laural Mountain Mustang? They have a lot of good prices on repo stuff and sell on ebay.
US postage went through the roof after 9/11. the slow boat service dissappeared but used to be great for big stuff and was cheap!! Depending on what side of the states it comes from has a big impact on USPS pricing as it has to travell across the USA before it leaves for here.

Offline seany-boy

• Worked
  • Car: 1970 Mach1
Parts from the US
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2009, 12:28:02 pm »
nope, thought about using them cos they had good prices but they did not seem to have a lot of items. Ohio mustang is similar price wise but not sure how much stuff they have.
Used Dallas Mustang and found them pretty good but shiupping of anything large- forget it!

Offline Dad

• Worked
Parts from the US
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2009, 02:41:33 pm »
have used Laurel Mountain before. They are good to deal with. Delivery can take a while tho.

As far as "why does freight cost so much ?" - below is a picture of one item received from NPD. The part weighs 10gm. Check out the size of the box. Would be charged by cubic not weight. They sent it to replace missing item so I didn't pay this time !

[img=400x300]http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn111/gs_thoroughbreds/1966%20Fastback/P6230060.jpg[/img]

Offline Troy_H

• Worked
    • Melbourne
Parts from the US
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2009, 12:28:29 pm »
I got a quote for a smaller item by NPD, postage was reasonable.  Same product, slightly cheaper price, Mustang Depot in Vegas, 6 times as expensive for freight!  I didnt ask them to hand deliver it.  

I may as well go  over and pick it up.  At least I could play the tables while i was there.

I guess thats the difference in an international courier company V postal service.

Offline derwin66

• Blue Printed
Parts from the US
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2009, 12:54:57 pm »
Mustang depot in vegas charge like a wounded bull to send stuff overseas and their customer service is real bad.  I also went in there personaly this year and they treated me so bad I left and will never deal with them again
65 T code coupe.
Blown 302. Heidts suspension, tricked C4
Gear vendors overdrive, RRS rack and pinion
Street or track roller perches adjustable struts.
60 F100.
Warm 289, AOD

Offline mach70

• Blue Printed
Parts from the US
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2009, 07:42:44 pm »
Most of the freight companies charge what ever is higher the actual weight or the cubic weight.

At the mine where I work we pay for the truck no matter whats on it.

If your getting something from overseas ask them to pack it small but safe...could save you a packet.

Offline Troy_H

• Worked
    • Melbourne
Parts from the US
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2009, 05:17:28 pm »
enough said Derwin, thanks for the advice.  Ill look elsewhere.

Offline 69candy

• Worked
Parts from the US
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2009, 09:12:21 pm »
I have just ordered a heap of gear from here
http://www.kentuckymustang.net/
Been emailing Will, very easy to deal with and cheap to boot. They sell on ebay as well, take paypal, and gave me a 5% discount because of the size of my order. I asked 4 different company's for quotes and he was one of the cheapest and easiest to deal with. Reccommended:a

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
Parts from the US
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2009, 12:55:28 pm »
Each time there was something wrong - incorrect part, missing, back-ordered or whatever.

Used NPD since then and seem much better. I ship large /heavy parts back in a container, but somethings like a starter, if they fit in a FLAT RATE USPS box can sometimes be comparatively cheap - e.g. starter, USPS Flat rate box, $40 shipping, here in a week...

Jeff
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)

Offline 65pony

• Thoroughbred
Parts from the US
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2009, 01:08:52 pm »
I have used Laurel Mountain Mustang, Mustang's Unlimited, CJ Pony Parts, Ohio Mustangs, Mustang Depot and a couple others. All round their all pretty good but I find CJ Pony Parts the best.

I am actually in the middle of an order with Mustangs Unlimited and they have been great, I got an email response for shipping within an hour and processed it all that day!

Shipping does vary from company to company so check with each one!

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
Parts from the US
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2009, 03:27:54 pm »
Originally posted by 68pony
usps is definatly the cheapest but you have to ask for it if they don't use them ,and most of the bigger shops could not be bothered , i just orded a electronic transmission controller and harness for my 4r70w transmission which im about to fit in my vert  i also needed some other bits for the tranny, shift solonoids , shift kit , internal wiring harnes for tranny , and various other bits, i asked if they could send it usps no probs , how much $68.00us and the box was not small 70cmx70cmx30cm
they are not a big parts supplier though baumann electronics http://www.baumannengineering.com/tcs.htm

I found the same with Mark from toploader heaven, he uses flat rate US post cartons, think my bits cost $40 to post, again not big parts, but there was a few KG in weight. Having said that I got every consumable  top loader part and a 2nd gear for the cost of just a second gear here. It worked out very cheap compared to local top loader parts prices.

Offline Zed

• L Plates
Parts from the US
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2009, 10:28:21 am »
Hi, I have used Virginia Mustang for a very long time and have not had any trouble at all. They will post using USPS if the item can be posted and they will use which service you prefer. EMS is too expensive and I use insured airmail and ask them for the insurance number. This can be tracked on the USPS website and gives you some idea about transit times and location of your package. I have used AutoKrafters as well but they have a handling charge you need to consider. They also will supply the number and send via USPS.
In short you have to ask the company if they will ship via the post office and what their handling charges are before you buy. Auto krafters will tell you the postage once it is boxed up(ie sold to you) but they will give you weight and sizes if asked and you look it up on the USPS website. I have found Virginia Mustang the easiest to deal with regarding mail/internet orders and they will send you a shipping quote after you place your order and then you confirm your order if you are happy with the price.
Remember a cheaper price with another supplier may cost you more in handling and UPS/Fedex charges. Using these types of shippers can be very expensive and it depends on the parts vendors deal with these shipping companies as to how much they get charged and then charge you. A high volume shipper will have a better price than a low volume shipper using the same shipping company. A bloke I work with buys Camaro parts from Jegs using UPS and has found the prices reasonable.
So ask first before you buy.
Cheers Zed

Offline Hawko

• Pony
Parts from the US
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2009, 10:53:38 pm »
Hi Guys
Another newbie here.
I've just bought myself a mustang and would like to know if it works out cheaper to import parts or purchase them here in Aus. I am looking to replace alot of gear both large and small. Any advice and recomendations please.
Thanks

Offline moe

• Top Streeter
  • Name: "Moe"
Parts from the US
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2009, 11:02:03 pm »
Where abouts are you located Hawko?

I have a supplier up the road from where I live, and it is real handy as I just go and collect the bits. No freight to speak of.

Have used Virginia Mustang for a couple of out of the ordinary bits and pieces.

Offline Hawko

• Pony
Parts from the US
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2009, 06:57:51 am »
I'm in Sydney.
I just thought I would ask to see if it worked out cheaper. Sometimes you sit down look at the numbers and think that it will be cheaper but it ends up not or you only save a couple of bucks for the hassle of dealing OS.

Offline seany-boy

• Worked
  • Car: 1970 Mach1
Parts from the US
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2009, 02:54:12 pm »
Hawko,

usually cheaper as you are paying freight only once for a bunch of stuff but read the whole thread- there are traps for new players and sometimes local guys are better and safer but you usually pay a premium. If you can package up some stuff it works out ok depending on who you buy from.

Offline stormin

• Blue Printed
Parts from the US
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2010, 09:52:54 pm »
After dealing with MU for several years I won't be ordering anything else from them. Got a wrong part delivered . Sent them photos of the part. Explained what was wrong with it and was told that was what I ordered .Bulldust ! Part # was different to what was on the order and the photos showed how far out the part was. Even sent them photos of the part along side the original showing the discrepancies but they won't even reply . Told me if not happy send it back for a refund AT MY COST. Problem is cost to send it back well over a $100. Not worth the effort,So be warned.
Stormin

Offline jbrucem1

• Worked
Parts from the US
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2010, 10:02:02 pm »
It is cheaper to order from US, especially with the dollar as it is..However, it's not that much cheaper, depending on the dollar 10-20% (maybe 30% sometimes) as an average..
Also, if you order/buy a part from an Aussie dealer you'll most likely get it much quicker and if there are any issues it is their responsibility, not yours.
CJ pony parts screwed around with my order (2 months), got the wrong stuff but ended up fixing it for free - dont think I will use agin
All the aussie dealers I have dealt with have been excellent.

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
Parts from the US
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2010, 10:54:18 am »
If you have a large order, we can usually match the delivered price from the big US shops.
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline 69 SCJ

• Stallion
Parts from the US
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2010, 07:11:56 pm »
Hi have a great bud that works at one of the largest mustangs shops in Sacramento ( American Mustang )
Also finds me my cars in person in the US.
That is peace of mind let me tell you.
Goodluck to all
Cheers Steve :cool:

Offline JimNiki

• Worked
Parts from the US
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2010, 07:57:31 pm »
I ordered $US700 worth of parts and delivery via FEDEX or UPS door to door was another $AU700 ...yikes!
no other option... will shop around in future...

Offline Stu67

• Thoroughbred
Parts from the US
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2010, 09:20:22 pm »
I have a friend based in Michigan who i get parts sent to from US vendors, he works at a large car parts plant so he knows what he is looking at when it arrives. He then puts them all together into as small of a box as is possible and sends them to me. He gets a VERY large discount with Fedex (about 80% discount) so i happily oblige him with some cash for his services (he saved me over $200 on shipping, so i gave him $100US for his time). Seeing he saved me a heap of cash over getting parts here i thought $100 a small price to pay.

My last shipment weighed in at 35lb, was 1300x300x200 and he got it to my door in 10 days for $100 or so.

If you guys like i can see if he would be interested in 'assisting' other aussies with their shipments? Being based near Detroit, he got hit VERY hard by the GFC and the changes to the manufacturing plants based in that area (lost his job for a while and most of his friends did too), so I help him out with some extra cash for his time and he helps me out with getting parts to me, which at the moment with the Au$ on 97 cents makes it a great time to do it.  

Let me know if your interested and i will see if he wants to help some of you guys out.
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"
Enzo Ferrari

Offline supr-66

• Thoroughbred
Parts from the US
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2010, 08:48:34 pm »
Hell yes Stu, rack him up mate. Collective order depending on areas sounds like a great idea, depending on urgencies etc :drunk: