Engine rebuild

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Engine rebuild  (Read 59204 times)

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
Re: Engine rebuild
« Reply #150 on: June 08, 2018, 08:01:03 am »
Ive got 3.00 .3.25 and 3.55, If I want to go long distance Ill just swap the center only takes an hour or so, I wont swap out my Toploader, thats what old fords should have as gear box. I may stick a Gearvendors in it later though.

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 65 Convertible Honey Gold
« Reply #151 on: June 08, 2018, 08:03:28 am »
Ive got 3.00 .3.25 and 3.55, If I want to go long distance Ill just swap the center only takes an hour or so, I wont swap out my Toploader, thats what old fords should have as gear box. I may stick a Gearvendors in it later though.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:Shaunp might be the only guy in the world that changes diff gearing to suit driving conditions. Is their anyone in the world that loves working on cars more the STP?
Always dreamed I'd have one!

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #152 on: June 08, 2018, 08:27:36 am »
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:Shaunp might be the only guy in the world that changes diff gearing to suit driving conditions. Is their anyone in the world that loves working on cars more the STP?
Mate back in 80's when I had Torana's I would change them most week ends, I use break Banjo Holden diffs all the time In my 308 LH.  The Bloke  lived over the back a a quick HG kingswood, He use break a banjo at least once a month at Fisherman's island which was to local street race drag strip back then at Port of Brisbane, even had start finish lines painted on the road.  I use to work out west a bit  in the Bunya moutains at the ABC TV transmitter station ABDQ3 so would often have to drive to Dalby etc, so I'd drop a 2.78 in the Torana for the trip so it would cruise at 140+ KM happily. Some weeks I'd run to Dalby  2,3 times. Wish I still had the Torana, sold it and got an XJS Jag.

Offline Reborn67

• Worked
  • Name: Andrew
  • Car: 67 Hardtop
« Reply #153 on: June 08, 2018, 09:00:08 am »

Mate, l can only dream of that day,   
Reminds me of cars back in the 80's , My mate had an orig' SLR 5000 and l had a 250 in my cortina, l would bait him at the lights all the time and he snapped diffs like there was no tomorrow, source of much amusement for years, but to his credit he still has the car...,

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #154 on: June 08, 2018, 09:15:36 am »
Ive got 3.00 .3.25 and 3.55, If I want to go long distance Ill just swap the center only takes an hour or so...

I am way too lazy to do that.  :lmao:

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
« Reply #155 on: June 08, 2018, 10:17:01 am »
I am way too lazy to do that.  :lmao:

Someone needs to design a quick change diff for these cars.

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #156 on: June 08, 2018, 11:29:29 am »
Someone needs to design a quick change diff for these cars.

Or maybe just put in a 5 speed box? (toploader quote from shaunp notwithstanding...)
Cheers,
Brian

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #157 on: June 08, 2018, 11:51:36 am »
Or maybe just put in a 5 speed box? (toploader quote from shaunp notwithstanding...)

I wont be changing it in the foreseeable future. But I defiantly haven't discounted a gear vendors OD. If I went to a different box Id have to go to T56, TKO's dont like high RPM shifting, my 363 will run to 7k, so its not happening, plus my TL is completely fresh with a new Hurst Comp+ shifter.

Offline Michael H

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #158 on: June 08, 2018, 03:27:11 pm »
I wont be changing it in the foreseeable future. But I defiantly haven't discounted a gear vendors OD. If I went to a different box Id have to go to T56, TKO's dont like high RPM shifting, my 363 will run to 7k, so its not happening, plus my TL is completely fresh with a new Hurst Comp+ shifter.

I had a 363 pulling 7800rpm and a TKO 600. I've got a 355 pulling 8000rpm with a TKO 600. As long as you have a good clutch, you can buy aftermarket shift kits with teflon tabs etc.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #159 on: June 08, 2018, 03:50:01 pm »

I had a 363 pulling 7800rpm and a TKO 600. I've got a 355 pulling 8000rpm with a TKO 600. As long as you have a good clutch, you can buy aftermarket shift kits with teflon tabs etc.

so you can keep the gas pedal floored and speed shift it without letting up on the gas pedal?

Offline Michael H

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #160 on: June 08, 2018, 04:01:10 pm »
so you can keep the gas pedal floored and speed shift it without letting up on the gas pedal?

Can't say I have used that technique.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #161 on: June 08, 2018, 05:05:20 pm »

I had one in a E type jag with a supercharged / injected 383 chev and it wasn't that good at 7000 revs, pulled it part a couple of times. It was a bit better with a cooler on it. This was in the early 2000's be may they are different now. The car was used in hill climb  etc, and it was a bit problematic

Offline Michael H

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #162 on: June 08, 2018, 05:41:04 pm »
They may have changed, I don't know.

The current one I use is in a race car (circuit car) and it endures some hard driving. I wouldn't run with a stocker straight out of the box as I know you would at least destroy the brass synchros but if you like the idea of a tough 5 speed, you can make them live. Geoff Dellow built mine.

Sorry for dragging you guys off topic, I had the afternoon off and was bored.

Carry on.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #163 on: June 08, 2018, 05:46:25 pm »
They may have changed, I don't know.

The current one I use is in a race car (circuit car) and it endures some hard driving. I wouldn't run with a stocker straight out of the box as I know you would at least destroy the brass synchros but if you like the idea of a tough 5 speed, you can make them live. Geoff Dellow built mine.

Sorry for dragging you guys off topic, I had the afternoon off and was bored.

Carry on.

The one we had was from Mal Wood, it never broke was just a bastard to shift sometimes. My mate now has the car but with milder 350 still with the blower etc basically a road car now and its ok at that.

Offline sms777

• Worked
« Reply #164 on: June 08, 2018, 07:27:30 pm »
Yes....ask Mr Hollinger.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #165 on: June 09, 2018, 12:53:22 am »
Can't say I have used that technique.

well i actually know a fair amount about these trannies and and there is the problem . they are a truck transmission design with heavy gears . to get them to shift half decent/fast, they need carbon fiber lined blockers on 2, 3, ad 4, and a shift rod mod and shift detent mod. there are a few places in the us that do these mods but even then they can still not be speed shifted or even close to it unless they are face plated, but that process makes them impractical for the street.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #166 on: June 09, 2018, 12:54:15 am »
Yes....ask Mr Hollinger.

then he seems to have the only stock one in the world that can be done with.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 12:57:58 am by barnett468 »

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #167 on: June 09, 2018, 08:29:34 am »
then he seems to have the only stock one in the world that can be done with.

Barnett, Holinger gear boxes are race boxes made here in in Australia, straight gear dog boxes, you change them flat

https://holinger.com.au/

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #168 on: June 09, 2018, 09:29:56 am »
Barnett, Holinger gear boxes are race boxes made here in in Australia, straight gear dog boxes, you change them flat

https://holinger.com.au/

ok, thanks, . sms's post implied that it can be done with a stock tko600 which was the trans we were discussing, and i know that ain't never gonna happen with a stock tko.

Offline bank1957

• Worked
  • Owner of the Oldest D Code Mustang Coupe in Aus
  • Name: Frank
« Reply #169 on: June 09, 2018, 05:55:24 pm »
Didn't Hallibrand have a quick change rear end that took less than 15 minutes to change the gear ratio by just reversing the top and bottom cogs?

Offline sms777

• Worked
« Reply #170 on: June 09, 2018, 06:18:22 pm »
Sorry Barnett.....I was only trying to say that there are gearboxes available outside of US that can handle brutality you gus not used to. There are lots of inventions Ozzies are famous of. The orange coloured black box used in aviation comes to mind.   

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
« Reply #171 on: June 09, 2018, 09:11:18 pm »
Sorry Barnett.....I was only trying to say that there are gearboxes available outside of US that can handle brutality you gus not used to. There are lots of inventions Ozzies are famous of. The orange coloured black box used in aviation comes to mind.
Wifi!!!!!

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #172 on: June 09, 2018, 09:28:39 pm »
Wifi!!!!!
You've been watching too many Skoda ads...  :grin:
Cheers,
Brian

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #173 on: June 09, 2018, 10:30:32 pm »
Extended wear contact lenses

Offline Reborn67

• Worked
  • Name: Andrew
  • Car: 67 Hardtop
« Reply #174 on: June 13, 2018, 12:00:44 pm »
 Question time again,  Sourcing Flexplates.., Having trouble finding a supplier of a 160T Ext bal 10.5" bolt Diam Flexplate, l feel like l am chasing a unicorn, l have heard of others chasing them so l hope someone can throw me a line, if l change to a 157T, l assume that would conflict with the starter, or can gears be changed in those, considering l will have it looked at before it goes back in the car?
 As usual thanks for thoughts.., :ouch: