RRS coil overs - 1970

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: RRS coil overs - 1970  (Read 20611 times)

Offline QIK70

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
RRS coil overs - 1970
« on: December 29, 2017, 01:22:54 pm »
Has anyone installed RRS coil overs?

I'm pretty mush committed to doing it, just after some opinions

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
Re: RRS coil overs - 1970
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 01:27:08 pm »
Why RRS as opposed to some of the other kits? Also, why coil overs as opposed to upgraded 'stock style' suspension?

Offline QIK70

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 02:27:22 pm »
Coil overs because, well just because..................from all accounts the car will handle better than my FG GT.

I like the RRS because of the ease of install etc. Im sure there are cheaper ones out there, and I'm sure this will be a good case for, you get what you pay for.

Offline BlackNotchBack

• Worked
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Justin
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 02:59:33 pm »
Personally I’d advise against RRS. I purchased one of their strut braces for a previous car and found design and quality to be questionable.

If you’ve got the budget for RRS you’ll find a number of other options, all of which I’d consider superior.

You’ll find getting your Mustang to handle better than a FG GT isn’t all that difficult and only requires coil overs if you really want them.

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 03:16:53 pm »
Coil overs because, well just because..................from all accounts the car will handle better than my FG GT.

I like the RRS because of the ease of install etc. Im sure there are cheaper ones out there, and I'm sure this will be a good case for, you get what you pay for.

If you are getting a coil over system that will replace the stock shock/spring because you think it's going to handle a lot better, I personally would advise against it. You are spending a fair bit of cash for something that you can do with upgraded springs/shocks and some nice roller bearing pieces. If you want coil overs because you want them, and you want to get what you pay for, then get the Street or Track bilstein coilover setup. I think it's the best one out there.

Are you going to race you car or is it just a street car?

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 08:40:40 pm »
The Trans-am race cars get around Lakeside in between 58-low 60's with stock suspension arms and normal type springs and shocks. Lots of caster , good springs and shocks, decent front bar is what they need.

Offline JET445

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: John
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 09:03:02 pm »
The Trans-am race cars get around Lakeside in between 58-low 60's with stock suspension arms and normal type springs and shocks. Lots of caster , good springs and shocks, decent front bar is what they need.
Yep, and I would also add roller spring perches and strut rods from Opentracker.

Offline QIK70

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 09:49:25 pm »
I like the idea of getting rid of the old and ugly upper control arm and giving it a complete modern look.
Also with all the pro's that apparently come with it, along with the ease of install..............

I'm open to all advice, trust me

Offline Dingo80

• Worked
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 10:34:39 pm »
I bought the RRS front struts, shock tower notch plates, power rack and pinion and strut tower brace maybe 8 years ago. Probably a dumb response from me as I have not driven with it installed yet, but have fitted it all up before my 65 coupe went to the panel beaters where it is currently. Install was quite easy. Notch plates I had a friend help me with so can't comment on that but I did the rest of the install and it was pretty easy.

Parts seem pretty good quality but pretty sure they are VT commodore parts mainly. I won't use the power steering pump as it is too hard to get installed. Will use a saginaw as much easier with vintage air pulley kit. I have vintage air and have struggled with getting pulleys to line up everything so think a complete kit will be much easier though a bit more $$$. I don;t like the strut tower brace after trying to fit it. Have sold it and gone Maier Racing.

Their customer service is pretty crap and so were their lead times (I waited 8 months at the time) with many phone calls. But then again I know 2 people with their whole kit including the 3 link in XK and XM Falcons and they love it.

Can chuck a couple of photos up if you want to see

I think if I did my time again I would look elsewhere but the dollar sucks currently to US so maybe staying at home is better. Shelby drop and the other mods people have said would be much cheaper but if you want coilovers and have the cash maybe look at Maier Racing or TCP or something like that. Heaps of choice out there now just depends on your budget.

Offline big al

• Worked
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 10:01:56 am »
I would steer clear of the RSS stuff.

Strongly recommend that you stick with the original style of suspension in your early mustang  and renew everything and fit better springs, shocks, and a better front sway bar.

This way will save you a heap of coin, and achieve the desired handling effect

Al

Offline sms777

• Worked
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 12:29:33 pm »
I am 100% with big al on this one. Also to add to it once you have fitted coil overs your vehicle will come under the modified rules which means it will require an engineers report for legallity and for insurance reasons.

Offline QIK70

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 01:18:29 pm »

Strongly recommend that you stick with the original style of suspension in your early mustang  and renew everything and fit better springs, shocks, and a better front sway bar.

Al

Cheers Al,

Can you give me some reasons why??

Offline QIK70

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2017, 01:19:06 pm »
I am 100% with big al on this one. Also to add to it once you have fitted coil overs your vehicle will come under the modified rules which means it will require an engineers report for legallity and for insurance reasons.

Does this apply to QLD ??

Offline USA066

• Worked
  • Robbo
  • Name: Colin
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2017, 02:19:50 pm »
I have a friend who had (has since sold the car) a full RRS setup on his 70 fastback - struts, coilovers, rack & pinion steering, big brakes (not RRS I don't recall), etc. By all reports, it was fantastic but not cheap, well over $15k, no expense spared with this setup.
 I was considering installing coilovers in my 66, but was advised against it for a street car, so I just installed new control arms, RRS power rack & pinion steering and Bilstein shocks all round. A good quality wheel alignment by an old school guy, and my car now drives beautifully. I am with others here, I wouldn't go coilovers unless you plan to drive it hard, just a good quality stock setup will do the job.
2007 GT Convertible
2008 Bullitt
1966 Coupe

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2017, 05:18:19 pm »
Does this apply to QLD ??

Yes, it would have to be engineered. I suggest you talk to Suspension Dynamics at Capalaba in Brisbane let them sort it out they know their stuff, and will align and set it up correctly they know these cars and do both road and race cars.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 05:21:36 pm by shaunp »

Offline QIK70

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2017, 07:57:14 am »

Are they required by regs to still run stock suspension ?

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2017, 10:28:15 am »
Are they required by regs to still run stock suspension ?

Yes though they can move the mounting point of the top and bottom arms, if they want and locate the rear axle a it better.  So they move the front arm lower pivot down & out for some extra camber and to alter the roll center a bit, they often run the roller perches and better caster bars.  They dont run as much camber as the TCM cars as they run a historic TA tyre which is a cross ply,which wont take alot of camber, they are still fast. The good ones run mid pack or better in TCM, with less hp. springs shocks, bars etc are free. Many run Kings springs front and rear.

Offline QIK70

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2017, 04:21:32 pm »

Al

Cheers Al,

But, is there anything wrong with the RRS gear??

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2017, 04:38:01 pm »
If you want coil overs, get coil overs. I'm all for buying things that I want and don't need. I think coil overs are great.

But while they make adjustments easier, you won't notice any better handling than a well sorted stock style setup for a high performance street setup. Most get them because A. They want them, or most importantly, B because they need the notched towers for engine bay clearance.

I'm not sure what answer you are after, but at the end of the day, if you want them get them.

Offline sms777

• Worked
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2017, 08:22:01 pm »
You just don't get it do you. You come here to ask for advice and and 90% of the experts say don't do it but you insists.....so like husky said... do it. Don't waste our time any further. Don't worry about destroying your cars originality and it's handling that the manufacturer spent millions on getting it right. Just choppit up and modify it the way you want it because Chip Foose said so. When you have an accident because of it don't cry if they refuse your claim because your vehicle is modified without approval......Sorry... i had a few drinks already.
Happy New Year....   

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2018, 09:48:25 am »
You just don't get it do you. You come here to ask for advice and and 90% of the experts say don't do it but you insists...

I'm pretty mush committed to doing it, just after some opinions

There's your answer.
Cheers,
Brian

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2018, 11:10:35 am »
My opinion is its a waste of of money, I'd rather have a faster engine. But if you want a blingy front end, Id look at TCP.

Offline QIK70

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2018, 04:51:52 pm »
You just don't get it do you. You come here to ask for advice and and 90% of the experts say don't do it but you insists.....so like husky said... do it. Don't waste our time any further. Don't worry about destroying your cars originality and it's handling that the manufacturer spent millions on getting it right. Just choppit up and modify it the way you want it because Chip Foose said so. When you have an accident because of it don't cry if they refuse your claim because your vehicle is modified without approval......Sorry... i had a few drinks already.
Happy New Year....   

Nice one champ.  :thumb:
Apologies for wanting more knowledge.
I'm after more information than " why would you want to do that" or " I wouldn't do it"
Im looking for people who have actually done the mod or even know of people who have done it and know what they are talking about.
The Manufacturer spent those millions over 50 years ago, modern technology is a wonderful thing. Maybe you should look into it one day.
I specifically purchased a plain jane mustang rather than a Mach 1 etc etc so id have the ability and freedom to modify its performance to suit my desire. So I take it your cars are 100% stock standard?
I appreciate every response I get from the multiple questions i have posed to this forum. The information that members on this forum is invaluable and its genuine and informative reply are worth my than gold, even if I'll get the odd reply such as yours.

Don't concern yourself with the chance of me having an accident and having my claim refused. If you knew the first thing about me you'd know I don't do things by half's, no short cuts and I always cover my arse.

Cheers for the attitude. So you're one of those types who considers himself and expert hey?
Oh and by the way, nice work blaming alcohol for your poor attitude

Offline QIK70

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2018, 04:52:19 pm »
My opinion is its a waste of of money, I'd rather have a faster engine. But if you want a blingy front end, Id look at TCP.

Cheers mate. Will do  :burnout:

Offline QIK70

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2018, 05:19:22 pm »
If you want coil overs, get coil overs. I'm all for buying things that I want and don't need. I think coil overs are great.

But while they make adjustments easier, you won't notice any better handling than a well sorted stock style setup for a high performance street setup. Most get them because A. They want them, or most importantly, B because they need the notched towers for engine bay clearance.

I'm not sure what answer you are after, but at the end of the day, if you want them get them.

Cheers mate. Just trying to get as much info as possible.
I'm also kinda maybe thinking ahead, i.e. bigger motor, notched towers................ so id rather do it once