65 GT Mustang "Whats it worth?"

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 65 GT Mustang "Whats it worth?"  (Read 16284 times)

Offline Wade

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Wade
65 GT Mustang "Whats it worth?"
« on: March 31, 2017, 10:17:33 am »
Hello,

Take it easy on me, I'm not sure my question is even able to be answered without a lot of other questions. I'm new to understanding Mustangs but what I've noticed is there is no standard pricing, everyone has their own idea of what their car is worth.
I've started to look around for a 65-66 Mustang, I've found a 65 GT, standard interior, 4 speed manual, original paint that I'm told is a numbers matching car. It is in "fair" original condition. I've checked the VIN plate and it matches up to the factory release. 
My question before wasting my time and the sellers time is "What's it worth?"
Thanks for any advice.
Wade

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
Re: 65 GT Mustang "Whats it worth?"
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 10:38:21 am »
Good question . Yes we need more info about the car as it could be 15,000 or 50,000 for a coupe . What's the seller asking .  A nice one will be 35-40 K .  What part of Aust is it in .
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 10:52:07 am by GLENN 70 »

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 10:39:51 am »
Well what's he asking for it?
Every car is different, due to the wide range of options on the ordering list it's hard to find two cars exactly the same. Fast forward 50+ yrs & some cars will have fared better than others over time.
So it all depends on condition, options, specs etc.
Is it a hardtop, convertible or fastback?
Is it a factory GT, or does it have dealer or owner-added GT options? Assessing that is worthwhile as that will affect value.
If an owner has spent a truckload of $$$ on his/her car then clearly they will expect a fair return on their expenditure.
BTW, no such thing as 'numbers matching' on a '65, if you are referring to chassis/engine - all you can go by is the casting date on the block (needs to pre-date the car itself obviously).
Best you get hold of someone from a local Mustang club to help you check the car out.
And do your due diligence with a thorough review of past sales of '65 cars so you have a sound idea of the range of asking prices for these cars, GT or not.

Offline Wade

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 10:53:09 am »
To answer some questions that I know.
It's a hardtop.
Yes I believe a Factory GT
No money spent on it in 50 plus years other than maintenance by the look of it and not original wheels, It's got no rust, Original Paint but in reasonable condition.
This is what I've been told, I haven't sighted the vehicle as yet.
Data Plate reads
65A H 22 19R 51 1 5
5F07A699891
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 11:15:55 am by Wade »

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 11:09:19 am »
Here's the Mustang Decoder link:

http://www.mustangdecoder.com/cgi-bin/decoder.pl

Dearborn built, on April 19 1965, 3speed manual Caspian Blue paint with standard interior.

Offline Wade

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 11:18:24 am »
I left a number off the VIN, put a 5 in for the Trans and its a 4 speed which the car is.

Does this help to identify a price?

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 03:21:22 pm »
Does this help to identify a price?
It's a start. You need to see it & post up your photos - Mustang values can vary hugely.
Is it a fresh import, or is it already registered & on the road in Australia?
You'll need a 'GT guru' to check that aspect - dig around on this forum & you'll get an idea of the clues to look for. A 'factory GT' spec is an attractive option & lifts the price. Anyone can buy GT components & add them to a non-GT car, although changing to the correct badging is not so easy & can be a give-away.
As for it being Dearborn built, be careful to check condition especially underneath as the climate in that part of the USA is shall we say not conducive to metal preservation. Cars from the California factory are generally a safer bet. But then a Mustang built in any of the three factories could spend all its life in a dry climate on the one hand or alternatively a damp wet salty climate on the other, all depends where the owner lived or moved to; who knows where it's been in the past 50+ years.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 03:26:00 pm by 67FBGT »

Offline Wade

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 03:30:23 pm »
Here it is, I'm trying to go and have a look tomorrow. Apparently no rust, spent it's life in Arizona before coming to Australia in 2010 I think.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Ford-Mustang-1965/SSE-AD-4581463/?Cr=13

Offline scollist

• Worked
  • 65FB, 2017 GT
  • Name: Shane
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 04:15:06 pm »
Superficially looks pretty good and not a pretty good price for a 4 speed A code.  The paint in the first few photos looks too good to be 'original paint' as stated in the first post.  No pictures of underneath to check for rust in the floors etc., but the engine bay looks pretty clean.

Check carefully for rust underneath etc. and if it is a clean Arizona car I would say it is good value.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 04:27:23 pm »
Doesn't look to bad ,not very original tho with a lot of incorrect parts . It's on the money at that price if it's good underneath and drives well .

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
  • Name: John
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 05:09:37 pm »
Here it is, I'm trying to go and have a look tomorrow. Apparently no rust, spent it's life in Arizona before coming to Australia in 2010 I think.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Ford-Mustang-1965/SSE-AD-4581463/?Cr=13

It looks ok but you'll need some expert advise with it's originality. Where in Syd is the car located? I could possibly check it out for you, i do know what to look for cause i actually own a 65GT. You can clarify this with Glenn70 and few others on here...

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 05:37:41 pm »
birdman John , it's in Bondi

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 05:43:39 pm »
birdman John , it's in Bondi

Thanks mate... It would help if i had read all the details in the add   :thud:
Not far at all

Offline Wade

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 05:46:11 pm »
Birdman,

Wow, that's very generous, if you can I will organise it with the owner?

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 05:50:10 pm »
Birdman,

Wow, that's very generous, if you can I will organise it with the owner?

Yeah not a problem

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2017, 01:29:45 am »
1. Yes I believe a Factory GT

2. It's got no rust,

3. spent it's life in Arizona before coming to Australia in 2010 I think.

4. Data Plate reads 65A H 22 19R 51 1 5 5F07A699891

1. I seriously doubt it . Remove the rear seat bottom and check for the additional 12 inch by 8 inch reinforcement in the floor pan shown in the photo below which shuld be spot welded in if it is original.

2. I doubt it . It has probably been hidden with bondo/bog . Take a magnet and stick it all over the car and look for factory spot welds ad date codes on the panels.

3. No it didn't . I was delivered to north carolina where it lived for many years while it probably quickly started rusting away . Lots of dirtbag sellers claim their cars came from arizone to try and make the poor unknowledgeable prospective buyer think that it came frm a state where they typically don't rust much.

4. DSO is north carolina . This is what we call a rust belt state.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 01:32:47 am by barnett468 »

Offline MStang67

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2017, 03:34:01 am »
1. I seriously doubt it . Remove the rear seat bottom and check for the additional 12 inch by 8 inch reinforcement in the floor pan shown in the photo below which shuld be spot welded in if it is original.

2. I doubt it . It has probably been hidden with bondo/bog . Take a magnet and stick it all over the car and look for factory spot welds ad date codes on the panels.

3. No it didn't . I was delivered to north carolina where it lived for many years while it probably quickly started rusting away . Lots of dirtbag sellers claim their cars came from arizone to try and make the poor unknowledgeable prospective buyer think that it came frm a state where they typically don't rust much.

4. DSO is north carolina . This is what we call a rust belt state.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: I love your positive attitude Barnett!

Offline scedd1

• Worked
  • Name: Steve
  • Car: 68 Coupe - Frankenstang
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2017, 06:47:40 am »

2. I doubt it . It has probably been hidden with bondo/bog . Take a magnet and stick it all over the car

When i was young and irresponsible, i watched a bloke bog up the sills on an XY using chicken wire and a whole weekend edition of the Courier Mail on each side.  :omg: :omg:
When he did the last smear of bog, he added a shitload of metal filings to it so that a fridge magnet would stick.
He said it was because you couldnt trust the car salesman giving you the trade in valuation.  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
.  ____________
./____________ \.
 ( ]]] _ _ O _ _ [[[ )
\_ o _ _____ _ o _/
 |___|            |___|

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2017, 07:13:00 am »
i watched a bloke bog up the sills on an XY using chicken wire and a whole weekend edition of the Courier Mail
Sorry, digressing a bit... but I've seen worse... once saw a construction worker filling up the rusted out sills of his old Jag with fresh concrete left over from the morning's pour, just trowelling it in...

Offline Bucks

• Worked
  • Name: Dave
  • Car: 66 Fastback 289 4 speed
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2017, 08:20:28 am »
Obviously not original paint and the door tag has been removed at some point, but not the bolts for the door locks.
Also missing ralley pack tac, would probably check the fog light switch.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2017, 09:27:43 am »
 birdman John is going to chech it out so let's see what he has to say before we knock it . ... Barnett where did you get that DSO from ?  51 is Denver ,ok can be rusty but let's check it out 1st . H is caspian blue , trim  22 is  blue vinyl ,trans  5 ,4 speed ,diff/ axle 1 ,3.00 ratio

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2017, 09:44:20 am »
birdman John is going to chech it out so let's see what he has to say before we knock it . ... Barnett where did you get that DSO from ?  51 is Denver ,ok can be rusty but let's check it out 1st . H is caspian blue , trim  22 is  blue vinyl ,trans  5 ,4 speed ,diff/ axle 1 ,3.00 ratio

Yep all will be revealed later on today.
To me (unless I'm going blind) the trans looks like a 6, Auto.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2017, 09:52:24 am »
I just went on what was put up . Just looked at the plate and I can't see it clear at all for the trans  :shrug:

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2017, 10:00:21 am »
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: I love your positive attitude Barnett!

Thanks, and those were my optimistic comments.  :lmao:

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2017, 08:14:31 pm »
Well from what i saw it's got a lot of tell tale signs of a GT, probably dealer optioned.
Factory A code, 4 speed, 3.0 rear end,  :thumb:
Body in average condition,  :thud:

Steering box,  :thumb:
Prop Valve,  :thumb:
Exhaust hangers both under rear seat and frame rails,  :thumb:
Camera case cluster and glovebox,  :thumb:
Fog lights,  :thumb:
Steering wheel there but not fitted,  :thumb:

GT guard badges not in correct position, missing side stripes, Fog light switch not in correct position...  :toetapping:

Is it worth the money   :toetapping: