65 GT Mustang "Whats it worth?"

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 65 GT Mustang "Whats it worth?"  (Read 16283 times)

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
Re: 65 GT Mustang "Whats it worth?"
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2017, 08:26:52 pm »
Yes we spoke about the badges but fog light switch in the wrong position  :huh: :wtf: how does that happen ?  What's it worth good question as it sounds a bit average GT or not . Dealer fitted fog lights and put the switch in but not in the right spot ? . Value , I think I would base it on an A code  more than a GT . ps I know all GT s were A codes but not all A codes were GT mustangs in 65 .  What was wrong with the body John ?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 08:56:48 pm by GLENN 70 »

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
  • Name: John
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2017, 10:28:00 pm »
Yes we spoke about the badges but fog light switch in the wrong position  :huh: :wtf: how does that happen ?  What's it worth good question as it sounds a bit average GT or not . Dealer fitted fog lights and put the switch in but not in the right spot ? . Value , I think I would base it on an A code  more than a GT . ps I know all GT s were A codes but not all A codes were GT mustangs in 65 .  What was wrong with the body John ?

Yep, that fog light switch in wrong position  :toetapping: :thud: :kickass: i'm not sure why...
Rust popping out in one lower part of door, alot of sinkbacks from previous rust repairs in the standard areas, the bonnet and roof had plenty of crows feet. The gutter rails were so so.
Now if it had a better body it wouldn't be at this end of the market.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2017, 10:34:21 pm »
Run wade Run .  Keep looking at let us know what you find . Sounds like you owe John a big thank you . 

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2017, 10:53:21 pm »
Exhaust hangers both under rear seat and frame rails,  :thumb:
Fog light switch not in correct position...  :toetapping:

1. Does not mean a thing . You MUST remove the rear seat to look for the plates I posted.

2. The factory fog light switch hole is "D" shaped . If you remove the switch and it is round, it is not a GT . If it is D shaped, it likely is a GT because the D shaped dye is very rare and very expensive and most people wont get one just to make a clone, plus only a small number of people  know this hole should be D shaped.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2017, 10:55:23 pm »
Rust popping out in one lower part of door, alot of sinkbacks from previous rust repairs in the standard areas, the bonnet and roof had plenty of crows feet. The gutter rails were so so.

I am not surprised.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2017, 10:57:57 pm »

You could just buy my rust free all original sheet metal A code coupe with a new interior and make your own GT and paint it whatever color you want.  :thumb:

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2017, 11:00:31 pm »
Yep, that fog light switch in wrong position  :toetapping: :thud: :kickass: i'm not sure why...

cuz the tard that cloned it had way too many "FOSTERS LAGERS...Australians Favorite Beer And Drain Cleaner!" before he drilled the hole!.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2017, 11:03:12 pm »
We know about the GT things ( John & I)  I told him to undo the switch and have a look but he had no tools and the seller may not have let him . I think he did lift the seat .

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2017, 11:12:41 pm »
1. Does not mean a thing . You MUST remove the rear seat to look for the plates I posted.

2. The factory fog light switch hole is "D" shaped . If you remove the switch and it is round, it is not a GT . If it is D shaped, it likely is a GT because the D shaped dye is very rare and very expensive and most people wont get one just to make a clone, plus only a small number of people  know this hole should be D shaped.

Yes Mr Barnett, seat was removed, no irregularaties in that section at all, clean as!
well i'm in that small number of people that know it's D shaped  :kickass:  :therethere:
Sorry had no tools to remove the fog light switch, in any case why was it in the wrong spot???

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2017, 11:17:21 pm »
We know about the GT things ( John & I)  I told him to undo the switch and have a look but he had no tools and the seller may not have let him . I think he did lift the seat .

Oh I know you do . I just didn't know if he or some others here did so I thought it might be useful info for them.

I also know you are quite familiar with everything else mentioned since you have been here many times . It seems to be a racket for car flippers to buy rusty cars cheap from rusty places then buy Arizona plates for them and then try to pass them off as rust free Arizona cars . The last time I was there, there was more rusty out of state cars with AZ plates on them then there were original Arizona cars.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 11:22:11 pm by barnett468 »

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2017, 11:17:54 pm »
cuz the tard that cloned it had way too many "FOSTERS LAGERS...Australians Favorite Beer And Drain Cleaner!" before he drilled the hole!.

Maybe that's the case, but explain the steering box, prop valve, when fog light switch is switched on the parkers and fog lights are all working as they should be in a GT  :kickass: :therethere:
In my opinion it probably is a dealer fitted GT pack.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2017, 11:21:38 pm »
Yes Mr Barnett, seat was removed, no irregularaties in that section at all, clean as!
well i'm in that small number of people that know it's D shaped  :kickass:  :therethere:

It's nearly unheard of in the US for someone to install the big reinforcement plates I posted when faking a GT but even on the clones that have them I have never seen them spot welded which gives it away so I always look for the spot welds also.

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2017, 11:25:23 pm »
Oh I know you do . I just didn't know if he or some others here did so I thought it might be useful info for them.

I also know you are quite familiar with everything else mentioned since you have been here many times . It seems to be a racket for car flippers to buy rusty cars cheap from rusty places then buy Arizona plates for them and then try to pass them off as rust free Arizona cars . The last time I was there, there was more rusty out of state cars with AZ plates on them then there were original Arizona cars.

Why is Arizona coming in to the mix??? This cars' DSO was Denver.  :kickass:

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2017, 11:26:09 pm »
Maybe that's the case, but explain the steering box, prop valve, when fog light switch is switched on the parkers and fog lights are all working as they should be in a GT  :kickass: :therethere:
In my opinion it probably is a dealer fitted GT pack.

Having been dealing with these cars for over 45 years, I have seen some people go to great lengths to fake a GT, including cutting the side of the rear frame rail to install a plate with a hole in it like the original anti crush frame plate had in case someone stuck their finger in it to try and feel it.

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2017, 11:28:40 pm »
It's nearly unheard of in the US for someone to install the big reinforcement plates I posted when faking a GT but even on the clones that have them I have never seen them spot welded which gives it away so I always look for the spot welds also.

It's an A Code car so exhaust plates under seat and strengthining plates in rear frame rails are standard due to being a dual exhaust car. It was missing the original manifold carby dizzy and coil though.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2017, 11:28:50 pm »
Wade said the seller told him it was from AZ ,Barnetts old stomping ground

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2017, 11:30:20 pm »
Why is Arizona coming in to the mix??? This cars' DSO was Denver.  :kickass:

ummm...cuz with my superb reading skills I easily saw in his the op's 4th post that he stated it lived in in Arizona to which I suggested "shenanigans"! :bow:

Apparently no rust, spent it's life in Arizona before coming to Australia in 2010 I think.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 11:33:41 pm by barnett468 »

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2017, 11:32:32 pm »
Having been dealing with these cars for over 45 years, I have seen some people go to great lengths to fake a GT, including cutting the side of the rear frame rail to install a plate with a hole in it like the original anti crush frame plate had in case someone stuck their finger in it to try and feel it.

Fair comment, but he did mention (i think) in his sentence.

So why fit the GT guard badges in the wrong spot? but the lettering was spot on and going out of their way in great lenghts to clone one?
Now that doesn't make sense.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 11:43:05 pm by birdman »

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2017, 11:40:55 pm »
ummm...cuz with my superb reading skills I easily saw in his the op's 4th post that he stated it lived in in Arizona.  :bow:

Only from what he was told from previous owner, possibly not true.
He also mentioned that he searched google and found that GT's didn't start from the factory until late 65 early 66  :thud: :kickass:
Mine is a built in July and it's the real mccoy! So go figure.
It's got all the tell tale signs of a GT other than the fog light switch in wrong position, but in a very average body

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2017, 11:44:23 pm »
Mr Barnett, i hope you are NOT getting old n rusty???  :grin: :lmao:

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2017, 11:44:58 pm »
Fair comment, but why fit the GT guard badges in the wrong spot?

Why do you ask, you know that most of these cars no longer have the orig fenders and there are no reproduction GT specific fenders that have the badge holes drilled in them, least of all in the correct place, therefore it's up to the installer to locate them in the correct position which in my experience, very few people do.

Also, as you know, even though the badges are in the wrong place, it does not automatically mean that it is not a GT even if it has factory fenders with a correct date code as the original GT fenders could have been replaced with good used fenders.

Monroe at the Mustang shop had an entire container filled with NOS and good used original sheet metal and Jin at Mustang Salvage in Orange had tons of it.

...but the lettering was spot on and going out of their way in great lenghts to clone one?
Now that doesn't make sense.

Well that would be a great feat if the letters were the original pin type, especially considering that the pins on the repo letters are not all in the same location as the factory ones, therefore, if you install them in the factory holes, they are not all straight.

Some questions will never be answered but since it was a rust bucket as I suspected, these points are moot anyway.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2017, 11:46:43 pm »
Mr Barnett, i hope you are NOT getting old n rusty???  :grin: :lmao:

ummm...sadly I am quickly heading in that direction but at least I have not diminished to the level that I go lawn bowling like GLENN does.  :bolt:

« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 11:56:25 pm by barnett468 »

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2017, 11:50:26 pm »
Only from what he was told from previous owner, possibly not true.

Which is why I mentioned that to him.

:kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

Offline Bucks

• Worked
  • Name: Dave
  • Car: 66 Fastback 289 4 speed
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2017, 07:30:56 am »
Isn't the fog light switch thing a bit detrimental to this being a GT unless the dashboard has been ripped out? Or were they somtimes dealer fitted?

Offline Wade

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Wade
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2017, 07:37:18 am »
You could just buy my rust free all original sheet metal A code coupe with a new interior and make your own GT and paint it whatever color you want.  :thumb:
Let's talk Barnett, would you like to send me some details?