transit express logistics

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: transit express logistics  (Read 14450 times)

Offline Kerry

• Pony
« on: January 31, 2008, 01:36:42 pm »
Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd ask for feedback regarding some issues I am currently having with getting my 66 Fastback over from the states.

I am using an Ozzie based freighting company (who at this point shall remain nameless) who on their website imply that shipment takes from 6-8weeks.

It is now coming up to 5months that I have been waiting for my car, and I have even paid for what I was told was the 'fast boat.'

First off, they sent a uncovered truck (not once but twice) as opposed to the covered vehicle I had requested to pick up from seller.

...and now, all that I am being told is that it is all "out of our hands"...whilst my car is still sitting in a container on the NY docks where it's been for a month and a half already.  

surely this kind of service isn't to be expected? Any thoughts or similar experiences? Is the length of time I've been waiting customary for the Christmas rush for ships and containers?  

They also promise to "keep you updated with the status of your car." On every occasion I had to call them in regards to the status of the shipment      

As you can imagine...I'm feeling incredibly frustrated.

See pic of what I'm waiting for.

Offline usa289

• Worked
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 02:43:55 pm »
Hi Kerry,

As somebody who importerd 3 years ago ... I really sympathise with your problem... such a great looking car that you cannot enjoy ....

Unfortunately from time to time this forum hears about issues with "poor" importers. I have also heard of issues re time delays when shipping from the east coast but this timeframe is simply "just not on"!

I am unaware of a customs service "ombudsman" but if there is one, I'm sure he would be busy with many new car importing players entering the game.

Three options I suggest trying are:

1. Customs Brokers Council of Australia in Alexandria NSW
2. Office of Fair Trading (complaints re goods and services with Australian businesses)
3. Sending a legalletter demanind action.

Maybe a third party could "lever" some support - especially if you are told that it is "out of our hands". Surprising what a solicitors letter may do  ... see what their reaction is then!

It would be great to share the name of the importer as it may save someone else going through what you are experiencing .... maybe just their suburb/address or page number from a recent advertisement?

Best wishes ... I hope things work out for you without too much more stress.

I await Hevens advise ... I think it may be more "physical" than mine!!!

USA289
[align=center]
USA289
[/align]

Offline Red71

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 03:12:53 pm »
Hi Kerry.

I also sympathise with your situation. I think that this is an absolute disgrace, especially when you have not only forked out money for the car but also for the shipping (or lack of) of the car.

When I imported my car last year I used Schumacher Cargo - a reputable freight forwarding company - http://www.schumachercargo.com . The car was delivered to them on August 31 and It arrived in Australia on October 18th. I took delivery of it 2 weeks later (only because I was away on holidays with the family when it had cleared customs and was ready to be collected). The freight cost me USD$1,550 plus insurance.

I think you should follow the advice of USA289. More importantly, you should "OUT" the company so that we all know who they are and know who NOT to recommend to others.

Good luck and hopefully it will arrive soon.

Peter

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 04:56:45 pm »
Kerry, Why not also contact MOCA  NSW and ask them for advice?  Part of the forum system is to let all users know problem areas to avoid. Also to seek help from those who may have experienced similiar problems previously. A legal letter is my suggestion.  Mine got here from LA in 7 or 8 weeks. Good luck & keep us posted.  Johnno.
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline Forder

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 05:47:20 pm »
Kerry,
My 65 arrived 2 days before Christmas and was right on the quoted time of 3 weeks.  I can not fault the company I used.   I used John CAIN and will be using his services again.  He is a local Newcastle bloke with his son living in LA arranging that side of things.  
MUSTANG664

Offline victorypark

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 08:35:05 pm »
Oh and make sure when your baby does finally arrive that you go over her with a fine tooth comb.  Looking at that example of what u r waiting for we all wish you the best of luck from here on.

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 06:30:41 pm »
Kerry, hopefully the importers can read and see how much you would like to be driving your machine.  You've done the right thing in not naming them, hopefully they can do the right thing in pushing it along.

Keep us updated.

;y

Offline Yellow66

• Worked
  • Car: 1966 coupe & 1969 Mach 1
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 06:16:50 pm »
I also used John Cain and was very happy.  Cost $3250 for car but then gave me a discount price on the parts being freighted for the project fastback (filled the ute and the new mustang with parts so there were quite a few!!!).
Only took about 2 weeks to have it landed.

Offline Kerry

• Pony
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 06:49:16 pm »
Hi All,

Thanks for all the emails and recommendations
I haven't had much luck with the shipping company so today I took matters into my own hands and phoned the company that handles the actual Containers I gave them the container number and they said that it is still sitting in NY but that it is booked onto a ship on the 14th feb.
The shipping company earlier this week said that the container "maybe" on a ship as we speak but that they can confirm this in a week or so.

So......

Why can I find my container and they can't?

The good thing is that my Mustang should be leaving on the 14th. Although that means it would have taken almost 6 months since I paid for the car and they picked it up.

Will keep you all posted.

Kerry (soon to be a mustang owner)

I can't wait to bring her to a Show n shine so you can see what all the trouble was for!

Offline usa289

• Worked
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 10:07:04 pm »
G'day Kerry,

Well that is certainly promising news!

If you know the name of the ship, you may be able to track it using this web site:
http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shiplocations.phtml

Keep the good news coming .... and I look forwrad to seeing your new pride and joy at a Show in the premier State (Vic!)

USA289
[align=center]
USA289
[/align]

Offline Kerry

• Pony
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 09:40:45 am »
Just got news from ANL themselves that shes on the water.
This is 18 weeks after I have paid for the car and organized the shipping company to take over.
Car should get to Melbourne 18th March 24 weeks after initial  purchase.

Kerry

Offline BLU302

• Worked
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 10:22:19 am »
I'd be climbing the walls,Kerry.It's taking a week longer for my air con to be fitted and it's driving me crazy.
It looks like the wait will be worth it,though.
Great looking car.
Bob

Offline victorypark

• Worked
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 11:08:46 am »
With all the hassles you have been having Kerry they should have offered to fly your new ride out here....:_  Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Thanks for the updates.

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 10:17:21 pm »
Kerry, let us know when it arrives...  :f

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 05:04:23 pm »
Man O Man, You must be just about wetting yourself. Great looking car, I'm thoroughly jealous!
Good Luck, Ron B

Offline monahanajj

• P Plates
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008, 05:13:39 pm »
Hey Kerry,

I am in the freight industry (although not containers) i have a few contacts and will ask them the best solution for you.  Will post the details Monday evening EST
Cheers ;{

Offline Jimmyj

• Pony
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 09:48:13 pm »

See pic of what I'm waiting for. [/quote]

That's a beautiful car!  Might see you driving around Sydney one day...

Offline ajnorthy

• L Plates
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2008, 03:15:07 pm »
Hey Kerry, I feel your pain. I bought a convertible 64 1/2 from Missouri last year and was promised 5 weeks delivery from Tranzit Express (NEVER EVER USE THIS COMPANY) 5 weeks was the 12th December but they said it would be available to me in Fremantle on the 19th December last year. I still don't have it and I highly recommend getting a lawyer to draft a short letter advising them to get off their backsides or a formal complaint will be issued. I'm advised company's who can show they've been actively serving the customers interests have nothing to worry about from such a complaint, though if the company's been doing nothing then they have everything to worry about!
It made Tranzit Express get off their backside after 19 delays!!

I was told the 19th, 21st, 23rd, etc etc etc...   It landed in Melbourne on Boxing Day and I still haven't seen it, they issued excuses like it's held up in Quarantine, so I called Quarantine only to find out it still hadn't even got there, they ended up trucking it to Brisbane for inspection for some reason! Anyway, it's out of their hands now and in Toll Autotrans who one of my mates work's for, it'll be here the end of this week...  finally!!

Best of luck Kerry!

This is mine

Offline derwin66

• Blue Printed
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2008, 03:59:47 pm »
Both very nice cars.  Although it has been a hassle I am sure you will both enjoy your new cars:(
65 T code coupe.
Blown 302. Heidts suspension, tricked C4
Gear vendors overdrive, RRS rack and pinion
Street or track roller perches adjustable struts.
60 F100.
Warm 289, AOD

Offline jonks

• Pony
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2008, 12:52:07 pm »
Hi Kerry, I know exactly what you are going through but my wait has not been as long as yours.  I purchased and had my car at the dock just prior to Christmas and was told end Jan or start of Feb and still do not have my car.  Good news is that it is now in Aus and I take delivery next week :)  I hope you get your car soon and I'm sure by the looks of the pic it will be well worth it.  Not sure how to put a pic of my car below this but thats it to the left.

Offline 68cobrajet

• Pony
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2008, 10:53:09 pm »
Well my shipping wasn't that bad but it did take me a month to get through customs, you see they didnt beleive the bargain I got and refused the price i paid for it. So after going through 4 weeks of fighting and slander I finally had the car released to me. sometimes it does not matter if you have the right documents, if customs wants to question the price, they can make up what ever they want and charge you for it.
I paid over the calculated price for my car and customs would not budge on the price even though I had receipts for the exact purchase price etc.
Just remember that customs knows all!!!
1967     GT   Fastback  S code
1968.5  GT     Fastback  R code

Offline Red71

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2008, 12:15:53 pm »
Originally posted by 68cobrajet
Well my shipping wasn't that bad but it did take me a month to get through customs, you see they didnt beleive the bargain I got and refused the price i paid for it. So after going through 4 weeks of fighting and slander I finally had the car released to me. sometimes it does not matter if you have the right documents, if customs wants to question the price, they can make up what ever they want and charge you for it.
I paid over the calculated price for my car and customs would not budge on the price even though I had receipts for the exact purchase price etc.
Just remember that customs knows all!!!

Hi 68cobrajet.

Unfortunately customs has the right to have the car valued by a qualified valuer (which customs pays for). If they didn't offer this option, then they have done the wrong thing. I was concerned about this when I was importing my car and I actually spoke to one of the recommended customs valuers. He told me that he looks at what prices they are fetching in the USA and also takes into consideration the condition of the car. He told me that if I was not happy with the valuation, then I could get a second valuation done by another valuer - but at my expense. He assured me that 9 times out of 10 he goes along with close to the invoice price, unless it is obviously an extremely low price.

Your next major problem is the stamp duty on the car when you go for rego  – they go by the customs valuation for that (or market value, which is significantly higher, if they feel they can get a few extra dollars out of you). So be prepared to get ripped off again.

Good luck with it all,

Peter

Offline jtourvas

• Stallion
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2008, 04:22:22 pm »
Hi,
I am in the same situation. I bought my original Candy Apple Red 67 Fastback from Missouri November last year and it will take 5 months in total by the time I get it. I am tracking it at least. It got carried to Houston then on a container and shipped to Italy, discharged and now has arrived in SIngapore today. It will then be discharged again and finally make its way to Sydney. So I expect to get it early April.

Do not recommend shipping from the east coast. Better to carry to LA and then get it shipped. Much faster!

Cheers,
John.

Offline insideout

• Pony
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2008, 01:49:57 pm »
Tranzit Express. SIMPLY DONT DO IT!!
My purchase of last October arrived at their LA agent on Nov 7. Promised Shipping time 21 days to Sydney. I could write all day but in a nutshell I was told that it was in a certain container and loaded on a certain ship and it sailed late November. Wow maybe I could get it by Christmas. However it was never on that ship and not in that container BUT it was now arriving early January and would be unloaded in Brisbane and trucked to Sydney. Well "yes it arrived" in Brisbane and was waiting Customs. After 2 weeks I called Brisbane Customs only to be told that NO no car in my name there.
Back to Tranzit Express. "there has been some confusion".
The new plan was for an arrival in Melbourne early February. In the mean time I called the LA Agent who told me that the car was held up for 6 weeks at Tranzit Expresses direction as they were waiting for a full container.
Yes the Mustang arrived in Melbourne on February 21, we paid all the bills and today we are still waiting in Sydney for its arrival.
Tranzit, no Customer Service, Terrible Communication , complete lack of organisation and certainly NO saying SORRY

Offline Bumblebee

• Blue Printed
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2008, 03:45:15 pm »
So Kerry, did it arrive today?:f

Cheers Bee
Cheers Bee