65 Coupe Restomod build

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 65 Coupe Restomod build  (Read 107662 times)

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
Re: 65 Coupe Restomod build
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2016, 09:09:11 pm »
Also a picture of the taller Canton EFI valve covers that clear 1.7 rockers.
Was going to paint them but they look too good so they are staying as is, will add some contrast to the gunmetal grey.

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2016, 09:30:46 am »
Got the stand alone engine loom back. Pete from Pete's Custom wiring modified the ecu harness and the engine harness to make it standalone, but also retain the functions of the standard system. Pete used to work at ford with these systems so he was definately the man for the job.
Anything not needed was cut from the loom. The factory diagnostic port was tapped back in so I can check codes/set timing etc.
There is a trigger wire he made that will connect to the Old Air products AC system, so the ecu will know when the AC has been turned on, and will idle up and also switch the fans on. This was not as straight forward as first thought, as the ecu also needs the factory thermistor to work the ac function, so an appropriate resistor was needed to trick the ecu into the thinking the thermistor is in place.
The ecu will also control the fuel pump through the relay.
The factory fan relay setup was replicated, allowing the fans to spin on low and high depending on temp and AC status.
Pete provided output wires from the loom that I can connect to my Speedhut speedo, tacho, oil pressure and water temp gauges.
The left side 02 sensor was wired into the loom, as via the factory system it goes to the ecu via the headlight loom or something random like that.

This will connect to the American Auto Wire loom via a plug with 8 wires, being ignition, crank, reversere light input and ouput, and the 4 gauge output i mentioned before.
The ecu has a J3 chip so all the smart lock has been disabled, enabling the standalone loom.

I also finished off wiring the gauges and attaching them to the supplied American Auto Wire plugs, then wrapped the wires in tesa tape.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 03:44:33 pm by Husky65 »

Offline walbjj

• Worked
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2016, 08:18:02 pm »
nice work simon. great to see the maier braces worked out for u.

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2016, 07:10:35 pm »
nice work simon. great to see the maier braces worked out for u.
Thanks Jason, quality pieces. Hopefully the exhaust shop has no problem taking on the challenge of fitting the magnaflow exhaust under the x brace, as I know it can be done.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 07:55:51 pm by Husky65 »

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2016, 07:31:04 pm »
Had a few hours to spare finally so went down to the shop and installed some of the in car sound deadening and under car heat shielding before the motor goes back in and the new AC gets installed.

First step is to reduce the amount of heat getting in the cabin. For this I used a product called Zero Clearance. It has an aluminium face(quite thick, did cut myself a couple times, should have worn gloves), a fibreglass/polyester core and a very strong adhesive backing. Once applied, I sealed the edges with heat proof tape. It has minimal moisture absorbtion and the tape I was told is not necessary, but I thought I'd chuck it on anyway as I had some to spare. Did from the bottom of the firewall up through the tunnel, and then two squares at the rear where the mufflers will sit. I will also use some on the side of the fuel tank also where the exhaust pipes come very close.
Although it may not look like it, it is actually quite a neat install, the sealing tape is what makes it look a bit rough.

Next step was the interior. First of all was the vibration deadening material which I got from carbuilders, same stuff as dynamat. Applied it under the dash on the cowl, on the firewall etc. Complete coverage is not needed, as this is only to deaden the vibration and resonance in the panel. I will be doing the rest of the car once the car gets back to mine for the interior install.

Next step is the closed cell foam/mass loaded vinyl/closed cell foam material that will be used to reduce the sound/some heat coming into the cabin. It's quite heavy, and is very similar to sound deadening materials found in some modern cars. As you can see from the pictures I laid two sections up to the lower firewall, using spray on adhesive. I didn't take a final photo but after the two sections were laid I covered the tunnel up to the shifter with sections of ccf/mlv, and then used sealing tape to seal them together, as for this to be most effective you need complete coverage with no gaps.
Once the car gets home the entire floor, rear divider, parcel shelf and boot will be covered in this ccf/mlv product. The the carpet is the final step.

Two things I learned from today.
1. This is way too tedious
2. Good luck to the sorry sod who restores this in how ever many years and has to scrape this crap off (hopefully not me) :smilies:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 07:56:51 pm by Husky65 »

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2016, 07:35:58 pm »
Interior. Poor photos, will get better ones next time.

Offline shelby_mustro

• Supercharged
  • Name: Ryan
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2016, 07:41:33 pm »
Do you have the number for the guy that does the stand alone harnes? Going to do a boss260 conversation in one of my cars need someone that can do it.
1965 Ford mustang coupe
hipo 4bbl 347 windsor v8
t5 5 speed manual
4 wheel power assisted brakes

Other cars
1967 mustang coupe 289 c4 red
1966 mustang convertible nightmist blue
1951 f1 chopped truck blown c4 black
1963 Xl falcon ute 200ci 3spd manual white

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2016, 04:02:26 pm »
Got the hipo manifolds back from being ceramic coated. Should keep the heat down and keep them looking good for a while

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2016, 10:03:05 pm »
Made a quick trip to the ranch a few weeks ago where Kerry made up some brackets to adapt the falcon seats to the mustang rails. After a few minutes of deliberating he came up with these, which make the seat sit as low as physically possible, move them back an inch or two while being fairly beefy strong brackets. Just need to get the seats out in the sun to get the creases out, not much hope the way sydney is atm.

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2016, 10:21:23 pm »
I bought the motor as a rebuilt long block a few years ago. Chris took the heads off as they are getting cleaned up, springs installed etc. When he went to take them off he noticed they weren't torqued up. So we decided to strip the motor and make sure everything was done right, which it wasn't. It was bored to .20 over but wasn't honed, there was dirt and crap inside the block, the bottom end components weren't torqued right. Anyway, a lesson for all, strip it down and build it back up.
Anyway Chris has put it back together, just waiting on the heads and then we can finalise the motor and put it back in.
The pistons are Speedpro hypereutectic's, which should be good for the street. Timing chain is the rollmaster red series.

I also purchased some brass petcock fittings from Pirtek which will be the block coolant drain plugs, one on each side I'm helping out my future self when it comes to servicing the cooling system. It's not often I help out my future self that's for sure  :smile01:

Offline BlackNotchBack

• Worked
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Justin
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2016, 06:25:17 am »
Try a heat gun on those seat covers. While the sun will tighten up a bit there's no way the sun will do all of it.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2016, 05:43:27 pm »
What cc are the chambers as those are not flat top pistons so you'll struggle to decent compression if the heads are like 62cc or something

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2016, 02:20:16 pm »
They are the sold as stock replacement pistons for the 94-95 mustangs. Speedpro don't actually list the dish volume for them, but we can work it out if need be. The gt40p heads of the tickford 220 that I have are meant to be milled down to 58cc, so compression shouldn't be a drama.

Offline sms777

• Worked
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2016, 05:18:45 pm »
Hi shaunp,
The pistons have a 2.5 inch diameter .030 inch deep recess in the middle with the valve reliefs they work out approximatly -12cc dish. The deck height is zero so I have calculated 9.0 comp with 58cc heads which is fine. However if they are still 62cc that would drop comp down to 8.6 which is not ideal for the cam we have selected. Thanks for the heads up, I will cc the heads tomorrow to be sure and take corrective action.
I was only going on information given to me by the owner.
Cheers....  :thumb:
PS. I have just noticed on the photos #1 piston is slightly down the bore...it's not on true top dead center.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 05:23:02 pm by sms777 »

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2016, 07:03:11 pm »
Good give me an excuse to put a supercharger on it  :smilies:

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2016, 12:54:32 am »
You need an excuse?

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2016, 06:41:19 am »
Yeah  I'm married  :therethere:

Offline sms777

• Worked
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2016, 04:53:17 pm »
Good news is the heads cc'd at 53 which means they were 58 to start with, obviously been decked so we are up to 9.5 comp. Should work fine.  :burnout:

Offline Alen

• Worked
  • 70 Mach 1
  • Name: Alen
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2016, 05:46:00 pm »
U guys been putting a lot of work into this car can't wait to see it done
I'm sure those coy wheels will look good on it  :event:

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2016, 06:05:49 pm »
Good news is the heads cc'd at 53 which means they were 58 to start with, obviously been decked so we are up to 9.5 comp. Should work fine.  :burnout:
:cheers:

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2016, 06:06:50 pm »
U guys been putting a lot of work into this car can't wait to see it done
I'm sure those coy wheels will look good on it  :event:
Yeah I was wondering if you'd notice your old wheels

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2016, 07:48:49 pm »

Ok cool, that will be ok with a small cam and iron heads, I normally run them at 10.5:1 but with Alloys and bigger cams though, my own engine is about 10.7. 9.5:1 you could still put a blower on it to wake it up some the cam would be ok.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 07:51:11 pm by shaunp »

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2016, 05:58:00 pm »
Well today was a big day, after 1 year and 8 months the car is back at mine. I have a long list, however I have a few weeks off work so I'm going to try and power through it. Big ticket items are the body and engine wiring and paint/fit the interior, plus a few other things like handbrake install and throttle setup/intake etc.

I will take the wheels off and take photos of the finished suspension and brakes tomorrow.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 06:18:30 pm by Husky65 »

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2016, 06:05:08 pm »
This is the power steering setup at the moment(note the hoses are still yet to be secured).
As there is not much space to run the hoses to the borgeson box from the pump without almost touching the exhaust manifold, we have run the hoses underneath the guards, then they pop out right next to the box. It then makes a return trip back through the guard, to the power steering cooler on the front, then back to the pump.

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2016, 06:09:08 pm »
Test fit the BA seats as I need to position the handbrake in the next few days.
Thanks to Kerry for the brackets, perfect fit.