65 Coupe Restomod build

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 65 Coupe Restomod build  (Read 107507 times)

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
65 Coupe Restomod build
« on: January 28, 2016, 03:10:48 pm »
Hey fellas,

Thought I may aswell put a some sort of build thread on my 65 Coupe. I purchased the car locally towards the end of 2013, and it was my first vintage car.  The body was in good nick, which was my main concern when looking for an older car. The previous owner had said it had a going over and had some minor rust removed before it was painted black pre-2013. With the body work passing my amateur inspection, and the car running pretty good, it was in my garage not long after.

For the next year I pretty much enjoyed it how it was, however I always found I was fixing minor things here and there, trying to work out what the previous owners had replaced/not replaced etc. As with most of my cars previously, I found I couldn't enjoy it thoroughly without knowing every bit about the car. So late 2014 I decided to do a full mechanical rebuild of the vehicle, and to go on more of a restomod route.

I began writing up a list of what I needed and the direction I was going to take.

The main things I wanted on the build were:

-most/if not all of the parts being had to be easily replaceable. I didn't want custom this and custom that, and then when something wears out or breaks, not being able to get online and have a replacement part the next few days.

-safety. I wanted to upgrade key saftey aspects of the car. Yes, it's still an old car, you can't polish a turd, however, things like 3 point seatbelts, collapsible column, good brakes, bright brake lights etc, can still help the car be a little bit safer.

-drivability. I wanted the thing to be easy and fun to drive. I want to be able to drive it in the sun, in the wet, at 110 down the freeway and in suburban traffic. If I wanted to drive it down the hume to melbourne, I can just jump in the thing and head down the next morning without batting an eyelid.

-appearance. I still want it to look like a 65 mustang, inside and out. A few things will change, specifically in the interior,  however it still has most of it vintage heritage.

Most of the next posts are going to be about the direction I've taken and the parts I've purchased. As the car is being assembled, which is happening now, I will put up assembly pictures.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 10:37:52 pm by Husky65 »

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
Re: 65 Coupe Restomod build
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 03:22:45 pm »
A guy pretty close to my house was selling a freshly rebuilt 0km Tickford 220 motor out of an AU XR8 with an auto btr box for a very good price, so before long that was in my possession. This motor runs the GT40P heads, 1.72 roller rockers and an explorer intake.
Once it got home, I purchased a GMB water pump, Powerbond harmonic balancer, Victor Reinz intake manfold gaskets and Canton Racing tall valve covers.
All the sensors were also replaced with genuine ford/motorcraft items.
An Accufab 75mm throttle body was sourced locally for a great price.
A set of adjustable Ron Morris engine mounts were also sourced.
It has a baffled oil catchcan and new pcv.
The serpentine system is off an EF XR8 and will be used with the EF loom/accessories.
At this stage the plan was to run the BTR auto.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 02:29:31 pm by Husky65 »

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 03:24:57 pm »
From there the car was taken down to SMS Performance, who removed the 289 motor and C4, and said yes to doing all the work on it. Once I got back home it was time to go back to my list and start purchasing.

The drivetrain was going to be the btr auto, with a standalone transmission ecu running into the stock 8" diff and 3.55 gears.
However as of just recently I changed my mind and decided to run a T5 manual. So quickly spent a week researching and before long collected all the conversion parts.

-Tremec T5 out of a low km AU XR6. These are the same as the mustang world class T5's however the input shaft is a bit shorter, and on the AU the shifter is about 3 inches further rearwards.
-Mal Wood supplied all the clutch gear, being a modified bearing retainer, modified pedal box with hydraulic clutch, hydraulic throwout bearing, clutch reservoir and lines.
-Dellow supplied the bellhousing, as you need a custom one due to the shorter input shaft of the falcon T5's.
-Modern Driveline T5 crossmember. I also purchased a new floor mount, as we may have to relocated that rearwards a few inches.
-Ford Racing 157tooth 50oz Cast Flywheel
-ARP flywheel bolts
-Ford Racing 10.5 Clutch/Pressure plate kit with bolts/dowel kit
-New ford pilot bearing and rear housing seal
-Lokar clutch and brake pedal pad
-Ford Racing short shifter with spring loaded 2nd-3rd and adjustable stops
-Hurst chrome shifter
-Hurst white 5 speed knob

« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 04:43:59 pm by Husky65 »

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 03:39:25 pm »
more

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 03:50:59 pm »
Fuel system was next.

I wanted an intank fuel system, as I have had bad experiences with external pump longevity. I initially was going to modify a stock tank to accept a BA fuel pump, however I came across a Tanks Inc setup that was too good to miss.

The fuel system is:
-Tanks Inc 22 gallon fuel tank with baffles
-Tanks Inc fuel pump assembly with Walbro 190l intank fuel pump
-Tanks Inc fuel level sender
-intertia switch
-3/8 steel fuel lines for feed and return
-Reconditioned XR8 24lb fuel injectors
-New XR8 FPR
-Holden VE charcoal canister

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 04:00:50 pm »
Cooling system - sticking with the locally sourced parts theme, the cooling system consists of:
- Heavy duty copper core ford AU radiator
- AU twin thermo fans
- AU air conditioning condensor/drier
- AU alloy radiator tank
- Billet thermostat housing with 180F thermostat

I will get pics of these when the get installed. The radiator support is going to be widened to fit these parts and make the most use of their surface area. The radiator will utilize factory top and bottom mounts. The fans are being run off a factory relay setup off the ecu, but I will get to that when I get into the electrics.

As the factory Tickford 220 motors came with oil coolers standard, I decided I would follow suit.
-Derale sandwich plate with 180F inbuilt thermostat
-Derale oil cooler 16 row
-braided oil lines

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 04:18:01 pm »
Engine Ignition/Electrical.

The motor was purchased with all the front running system and electric from an EF Xr8. I decided to stick with the EF system instead of going to the AU coil pack system as I already had everything.

-All new motorcraft internals for the distributor were purchased from the states inc a new motorcraft TFI module
- A TFI relocation kit was also purchased(pictured below). This moves the TFI module from the distributor to a heat sink on the engine bay panel. The TFI modules were known to shit themselves from the heat and vibration, which is why ford relocated them in the 90's right before going to coil packs.
-A bosch ignition coil was purchased to replace the used on I was given.
- A new set of 8.5mm super conductor MSD spark wires were bought, complete with heat proof boots.

The engine loom is being modified by Pete's custom wiring in sydney. He is all over the ford systems and is wiring everything up so it still follows the factory diagrams. The ecu will run the fan via 4 relays as per factory. The ecu will also have an AC input for the old air products system, so when the AC is on the ecu will pump up the idle and turn the fans on. There will also be a facotry OBD1 port. The complete loom will be standalone, apart from a few wires that will connect to the main American Autowire Harness.

The EECV has a J3 chip which has removed the smartlock system, and has a basic tune for exhaust/intake on it, which I will finetune later on.

I also purchased an OBD1 reader of a guy from melbourne that custom makes them. That way I can read engine diagnostics, plus put it in KOEO and KOER and do my timing adjustments.

Will put up pictures of the loom when it gets back in a week.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 09:08:52 pm by Husky65 »

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 04:28:19 pm »
Exhaust

The exhaust system consists of:
-Magnaflow stainless 2.5 exhaust with x pipe and magnaflow mufflers
-3" double walled exhaust tips
-JBA 1650s-2 shorty GT40P headers with Remflex gaskets- being ceramic coated
- JBA front tubes with 02 sensor bungs
- The exhaust will have titanium heat wrap where it meets the fuel tank and possibly the transmission.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 09:12:04 pm by Husky65 »

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 06:46:31 pm »
Steering

This was a big decision for me. I found it hard to find something that would suit LHD and would be easily sourced locally, apart from keeping the original system of which I wasn't very fond of doing. I was going to use the EPAS retrofit systems that are getting popular over in the states, however the 65 underdash area is very tight, and some mods would have been needed. In the end I ended up going the popular Borgeson route.
I puchased a borgeson integral 14:1 power steering box and a borgeson stainless steel universal joint that would mate that box to the column. I didn't go with the rag joint as there has been some negative press on the borgeson rag joint, so the uni joint will do away with that. The stock EF power steering pump will feed the box via some custom hoses. A Derale 24" oil cooler was sourced to cool with power steering fluid.

An Ididit column with a collapsible inner shaft was sourced that is made to fit the borgeson conversion. This coloumn is specifically made for a 65/66, and comes with a replacement floor mount, as well as a Ford plug and ford indicator setup. It came as paintable steel, and I gave it a going over with killrust black paint. A Lecarra 14" black leather steering wheel was bought to finish off the column.

John from Opentracker supplied the steering components underneath. This consists of a roller idler arm, moog inner and outer tie rods and new sleeves.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 10:40:03 pm by Husky65 »

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 07:07:18 pm »
Suspension

John from Opentracker again supplied most of these parts. I wanted a good performing standard style system, so worst case I can always just pop a standard replacement part in.
For the front John supplied:
-Blueprinted upper control arms
-Spherical bearing lower control arms
-Roller spring perches
-Bilstein shocks
-Polyurethane coil spring insulators
-Shelby drop template

Adjustable strut rods were also sourced from PTP Engineering in the states. A pair of KFF59 king springs will be used on the front.

For the rear, John supplied:
-Del-A-Lum leaf spring bushes
-Bilstein shocks

The leafs being used are from a member, and they are custom made 5/6 leaf springs lowered a few inches.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 10:41:07 pm by Husky65 »

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 07:07:48 pm »
more
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 07:10:06 pm by Husky65 »

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 07:32:22 pm »
Braking

I wanted to upgrade the brakes to something a little bit better, but again, sticking with the easily sourced parts made things interesting. Funnily enough I purchased a front kit off here, which is made by UPC in melbourne, that utilizes factory parts from local cars.

MustangSteve in the states supplied the new pedal assembly, which included a revised brake pedal position for the new booster, aswell as roller bearings for the pedal. (the assembly is pictured, however it has been modified by Mal Wood for the clutch). MustangSteve also supplied the booster/master cylinder(pictured below, not mine as I forgot to take pics, however it is the system)

The front brake system is as follows:
-MS brake pedal assembly with roller bearing and revised pedal position
-fox body mustang 9" booster
-92 ranger aluminium master cylinder 1" bore
-wilwood adjustable distribution/proportioning block
-UPC hubs and caliper brackets
-VE PBR twin piston calipers
-Ford BA DBA T2 rotors
-QFM HPX brake pads
-new hydraulic lines

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 07:33:12 pm »
more

Offline BlackNotchBack

• Worked
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Justin
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 09:06:59 pm »
Really interested in seeing all this come together. Top shelf choice of parts

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 09:41:39 pm »
Rear Brakes

This was another item that had me stumped for a bit. As with the theme of the build, I didn't want to spend stupid money on a big brake kit I didn't need, and I also wanted easily replaceable parts. On the other hand, as it was restomod build, I did like the idea of rear discs if they matched the build plan. Initially I bought replacement drums brakes with good shoes, and, to be honest, they probably would have been just fine, especially in a light mustang. In the end I found a good disc system for a good price, and thought bugger it, I'm doing it.

MustangSteve came to the rescue again with a set of brackets that will allow stock 05-14 mustang rear calipers/discs on an 8/9 inch rear end. Even with our crappy dollar, replacement discs/pads are cheaper from the states for these parts than the local discs I bought for the front, so that was a big win in my mind. I found a place that sold new dics/calipers from ford that shipped to australia for a great price, so I went that option. This kit will also allow the standard handbrake cables to be attached straight to the calipers, with a shifty little mod I will show once they are installed.
So the rear kit is as follows:

-MustangSteve 05-14 rear bracket with longer wheel studs
-05-14 Mustang Rear Calipers(i think they may be PBR)
-05-14 Mustang Rear Discs 298mm
-Stock Pads/Shims
-Stoptech stainless lines
-NTN and SKF rear bearings/seals
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 08:38:19 pm by Husky65 »

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 09:42:06 pm »
Really interested in seeing all this come together. Top shelf choice of parts
You and me both mate  :cheers:

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 10:10:42 pm »
I pretty much won't be showing the rest of the photo's until the installation pics, especially interior photos etc,  however I'll just give a quick rundown on the other parts of the build.

The car is getting stiffened via Maier Racing subframe connectors, x brace(if it fits) and adding in torque boxes also.

For the interior(ish) area
-I wanted a good wiper system, so New Port Wipers came through and shipped out a new heavy duty 2 speed wiper motor, with a switch that mates to your standard bezel, and allows intermittent, low and high wipers speed. I also bought the washer pump kit as my car didn't have them.
-The car is being rewired with an American Auto Wire update kit.
-It has a NuRelic power window kit, as well as a VDO central locking kit.
-Speedhut supplied 6 custom made gauges which look pretty awesome and fit the mustang interior well.
-Old Air Products Hurricane air conditiong/heating kit that will mate up to the factory ford AC pump/condensor
-Mustangs To Fear one piece ABS headliner
-Ford XR8 ute leather seats
-3 point seatbelts
-plus the rest

The exterior is going to stay the same, bar 17" Coys C67 wheels, HID headlights, and LED lighting front and rear including a very stealthy led 3rd brake light.

Anyway time to get the car together, wait out for more pics.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 10:47:49 pm by Husky65 »

Offline trav68

• Worked
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2016, 10:53:53 am »
You have clearly done your research with some great quality gear going into the build and a well defined end goal and plan how to get there....which is the most important part.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2016, 06:42:05 pm »
Nice work, Only one comment, Im not keen on JBA shorty's, I reckon the collectors are too small, but I guess its not a big HP engine, so should be ok in this case. They do give good ground clearance though, but I still like long tube pipes with big collectors, Should be a really nice thing to drive though I reckon.

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2016, 08:23:26 pm »
Thanks Shaun, and it's not the first I've heard of it. The dilemma I had is that I have gt40p heads, which eliminated most of the off the shelf headers that fit in a 65. Next drama was initially I was going to use a btr, which is similar size to the AOD, so again, a lot of off the shelf headers were a no go. And lastly, I needed clearance with the borgeson box. With all that, the ONLY off the shelf headers that would fit with the gt40p/aod/borgeson combo were the JBA 1650s-2's.

Initially I was going to use HIPO cast manifolds as they fit well with the gt40p's, and although this isn't a high performance build, I thought they may choke the engine a little.

Custom headers were also an option but I've spent a bit more on the build than originally planned so an off the shelf solution was preferred.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 10:20:03 pm by Husky65 »

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2016, 08:33:55 pm »
You have clearly done your research with some great quality gear going into the build and a well defined end goal and plan how to get there....which is the most important part.
Thanks mate, I've tried to do quality without going overboard.....mainly as I have a budget of some sorts

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2016, 08:34:08 pm »
Understand perfectly mate, you have to draw a line somewhere, and with the falcon 220kw engine they will be fine. You've done more work on it than most would dream of, will be a good thing.

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2016, 09:56:52 pm »
The boys at SMS have have been doing a bit of work on it the last few weeks, including test fitting the engine/T5 with the adjustable mounts. As the AU T5 has a longer extension housing, the floor mount had to be moved a few inches rearwards. This is actually good as it will bring the shifter a few inches closer to the driver, which is what I wanted. Instead of moving the original floor mount back, the boys cut the original down, leaving the sides in for extra bracing. A new floor mount was then welded into the new position. The original shifter holes was welded up and a new one will be made when the tranny is mounted.

The Maier Racing subframe connectors and x brace were fitted. I like how the Maier subframe connect right up to the rear of the subframes, and have two mounting points up forward.

US Car Tool torque boxes were welded in up front. Nice looking bit of kit. There was a tiny coin size bit of rust that was cut out and repaired. Next they will seal up the welds and spray the underside black.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 10:34:02 pm by Husky65 »

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2016, 09:57:29 pm »
more

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2016, 05:30:46 pm »
Just read through this, very impressive! The list of gear you're putting in is mouth watering.

Just a tip about those headers, which I have on mine. Put the left hand set on the engine before you put it in the car. You will NOT get the bolts around cylinder 7 done up once the engine's in the car. The instructions laughably talk about getting a torque wrench in there but there's no way that can be done.

I'm interested to see the Borgeson box in the car with these headers as that's on my list for the future.