Disc brake identification

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Disc brake identification  (Read 30163 times)

Offline zlat347ci

• Worked
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Zlat
Disc brake identification
« on: August 16, 2015, 09:29:28 pm »
Hi all, wondering if anyone could help me in identifying what vehicle these discs have come  from or are they an aftermarket  kit. There on my 66.

Im looking at upgrading to performance brakes and rear disc conversion.

Whats a fair price  i could ask for the front disc and calipers. Will give at discounted  rate for fellow member.

Thanks.

Zlat.   

Offline 6t9m1

• Thoroughbred
Re: Disc brake identification
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 11:03:06 pm »
My bet is that they are off an aussy ford i.e Xw Xy or early Xa

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 07:19:55 pm »
XY Falcon The GT boys will want them. Your car will have bump steer with those.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 07:21:28 pm by shaunp »

Offline zlat347ci

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 10:11:05 pm »
Upon further inspection they have engraved  Girlock kh, amd the rotors are DR106H.

Is it safe to say it has xy spindles? Doesnt look like the 4 square style bolt pattern from behind  the disc.

Can anybody comment on there experience with wilwood forged 4 piston front and rear conversion?

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 10:20:43 pm »
Just make sure they are DOT approved callipers, e.g., have the dust seals - otherwise they are illegal in AU for a road car.

Offline zlat347ci

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 10:29:18 pm »
Yeah id be purchasing the kits with dust seals for sure.

What would cause thr bump steer the disc brake combo or the spindle?

Offline MACH_ONE

• Worked
  • torque to me
  • Name: Andrew
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 10:45:19 pm »
DR106h are xw xy rotors will go on early 64-66 mustang spindles with small hub xy xw bearings no issues but if the spindles are xw xy as shaunp said bump steer .......... also Im pretty sure these are what calipers you have

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Falcon-Front-Calipers-XW-XY-KELSEY-HAYES-MAJOR-KITS-NEW-PISTONS-/141732360224?hash=item20ffe83020

so with that being the brakes... shaunp would be correct (like usual  :bow:) your spindles would be xw xy so I would be careful on choosing any brake upgrade
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 11:14:33 pm by MACH_ONE »
My other car is a Mustang ( ok I lied this one cost me enough)

Offline zlat347ci

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 11:03:29 pm »
This is an image of the rear of spindle. To me it looks like a falcon spindle and its the triangular shape?

Offline MACH_ONE

• Worked
  • torque to me
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 11:16:05 pm »
Ill let the the others comment on what they are but no 64-66 stang

Offline zlat347ci

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 08:08:31 am »
I rubbed some paint of a discoved as per the image.
I take  it a wrecker has engraved EA.

Does anybody have any experience with this, would this spindle change the geometry? 

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 08:22:05 am »
All of the later spindles (post 66) have a different location point for the steering ball joint (relative to early mustang) hence the change in bump steer characteristics for the early cars. The fix it to have them modified where the arm is heated and bent into the correct position. Another option is purchase new spindles that have been manufactured with the arm in the correct spot. Finally you can simply ignore the issue - if you have hard springs so suspension movement is small then the issue of changes in steering angle and position relative to suspension movement (bump steer) is minimised.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 08:36:28 am »
You can tell if it has bumb steer by jacking the car up and looking at the front wheels ,but I get it on a wheel alignment machine and pull down on the car then lift it to see on their machine what the angle the wheels are going to . As boofhead said a high rate spring will help stop the car hight travel and good shocks and reduce bumb steer .

Offline zlat347ci

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 08:46:37 am »
Thanks for your response guys.
I do have hard springs and shocks but now when i think about it,  at high speed emergency  braking,  going over road bumps i do feel the front end pulling on one side, like a looseness/wobble.

My delema now is the wilwood brake kits are designed for mustang spindles therefore will not bolt up? If i was to revert to mustang spindles is it a matter of just changing spindles or do tie rods etc need to be replaced to suite?

Cheers

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 09:34:35 am »
Can anybody comment on there experience with wilwood forged 4 piston front and rear conversion?

ok, exactly what tyoe of driving do you do and how good do you want them to work?

do you want power brakes?

do you want to push lightly or hard on the pedal to make it stop?

do you have a lot of money?

are you opposed to baer brakes?

Offline zlat347ci

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 01:25:23 pm »
ok, exactly what tyoe of driving do you do and how good do you want them to work?

do you want power brakes?

do you want to push lightly or hard on the pedal to make it stop?

do you have a lot of money?

are you opposed to baer brakes?

The car will see the track every once in while however personally i dislike the drum look on rear and would like some matching front/rear calipers. I have considered baer but in my price range the rears are a cast iron type which dont look crash hot.

Does any bosy have any standard 65 66 spindles they want to sell? Ill post up in classifieds.

From my reaserch so far my spindles appear to be from a 1977 XC falcon, im thinking by decoding  D= either the year 1970 or can be falcon, and the 7 being the year itself either 67 xy or 77xc possibly?

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2015, 01:39:56 pm »
how big are your rims?

the bigger the disc is, the better they will stop so you want the biggest you can fit but the price goes up.

some of the 4 piston willwood calipers flex which causes a soft pedal and reduced braking but they have calipers that done flex but they cost more.

the thicker the rotor is, the less resistant to fading and warping it is.

the curved vein rotors cool better than others.

willwood has all of this.

if you want a kit, buy one of the first three here . . buy the biggest you can fit . . do NOT buy 4 piston calipers . . you WILL hate life.

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitSearch.aspx?year=1966&make=Ford&model=Mustang&option=Disc+Brake+V-8+Spindle+Only&axle=Front+Kit

« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 01:51:40 pm by barnett468 »

Offline zlat347ci

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2015, 07:36:24 pm »
Some more images from back, as im not very familiar with mustang  suspension components, does anything  look out of the ordinary?  The wheel is at full lock position

Offline zlat347ci

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 07:37:47 pm »

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2015, 08:27:53 pm »
XC stubs are big bearing you have small bearing stubs by looking at the hubs so they are XW-XB It will certainly have bump steer.

Offline MACH_ONE

• Worked
  • torque to me
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2015, 08:48:59 pm »
Thanks for your response guys.
I do have hard springs and shocks but now when i think about it,  at high speed emergency  braking,  going over road bumps i do feel the front end pulling on one side, like a looseness/wobble.

My delema now is the wilwood brake kits are designed for mustang spindles therefore will not bolt up? If i was to revert to mustang spindles is it a matter of just changing spindles or do tie rods etc need to be replaced to suite?

Cheers

Hi mate the options I see first you need to determine what spindles you have...If you say you have rotors for DB 106h as I mentioned before these are for XY /XW and early 64-66 Mustangs through to XB the only difference fitting the rotors to the spindles is the wheel bearings ...early XY /XW and mustang use a small cone bearing whilst XA - XB use a large cone bearing...you could take the Rotor outer bearing off off and check the outer bearing to see if it has a product code on it...then match that code to the manufactures code this will tell you what bearing for you have thus telling you what spindle you have. If you want willwood then you can simply get the brake kit to suit the model of the car it was meant for.

option 2 take the spindle off and replace it back with a mustang spindle but this could lead into other problems because of what else on the suspension might be changed.

Option 3 I can not believe Im going to say this....but UPC online does have a big brake kit for Mustangs / falcons...they use a BA falcon rotor with a VE commodore brake caliper everything is supplied/calipers /brake hoses/brackets and bearings  but and I mean but!!! Make sure he understands fully what you want to order... this guy is the biggest jerk and idiot Ive ever come across...but saying this his brakes are pretty good but just don't get it wrong you will have massive dramas. These brakes will not fit all 15 inch rims like he says I know of guys who have had to grind the crap out of the calipers to get them to fit and these will not fit and I repeat not fit on 15 Styled wheels (my problem with this guy is he sold me something he said will fit and clearly didn't he came up with its my fault when I clearly told him my application and wheels and was an epic ordeal to get a refund to the point I gave up sold the brakes and moved on however he still was sending me emails to the point of harassment which I threatened legal action so be warned ...get it right make sure he gets it right) 

I would personally take one of the wheels off take the dust cap off the rotor undo the wheel bearing nut and see if the bearing has a manufactures product stamped on it then go from there as I said finding that info out should solve what spindles you have. :thumb:

link for the mustang big brakes by UPC

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-MUSTANG-BIG-BRAKES-GT-SHELBY-64-TO-69-DRUM-FRONT-TO-DISC-KIT-XM-XP-FALCON-/311211210234?hash=item4875a235fa
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 08:51:39 pm by MACH_ONE »

Offline MACH_ONE

• Worked
  • torque to me
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2015, 08:55:04 pm »
XC stubs are big bearing you have small bearing stubs by looking at the hubs so they are XW-XB It will certainly have bump steer.

xa xb also big bearing I found out the hard way

Offline MACH_ONE

• Worked
  • torque to me
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2015, 09:04:39 pm »

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2015, 09:06:46 pm »
xa xb also big bearing I found out the hard way

No change 1/2 through XB It has small bearing hubs on it.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 09:08:41 pm by shaunp »

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2015, 09:14:55 pm »
Shaun correct me if I wrong here .  Can't he just get them bent by someone like probe engineering to fix the bump steer ,then upgrade the calipers to  XF alloy and fit a good rotor and good pads . I know jack about brakes  :smile01: . I'm sure I did that years ago .

Offline MACH_ONE

• Worked
  • torque to me
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2015, 09:16:24 pm »
No change 1/2 through XB It has small bearing hubs on it.

omg Im going up against Shaunp gulp lol

Timken small wheel bearing part

2738KIT BEARING FRT WHEEL XP DISC XR XT XW XY

timken Large wheel bearing part

2746WHEEL BEARING KIT FRONT XA-XF ZF-ZL W/SEAL

also Rare spares will say the same product code

I had the 2746 sold to me trust me these are not the right ones they do fit  if you want grinding