Disc brake identification

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Disc brake identification  (Read 30161 times)

Offline 67fasty.sm

• Worked
  • Name: shane
Re: Disc brake identification
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2015, 09:17:45 pm »
they look pretty much 1968 mustang calipers because that whats on mine , and i just put xy pads in with the spring clip instead of the pins which push through .
my rotors are new one piece units to suit xw/xy which go straight on to the 67/68 spindle .
Its funny how quick kids learn to drive a car, yet fail to understand a lawnmower.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2015, 09:18:49 pm »
Shaun correct me if I wrong here .  Can't he just get them bent by someone like probe engineering to fix the bump steer ,then upgrade the calipers to  XF alloy and fit a good rotor and good pads . I know jack about brakes  :smile01: . I'm sure I did that years ago .
Yeah and you can get Willwood brakets for them as well, Falcon stubs are much stronger then mustang, they are also 3/8 taller which give about 1/2 a Shelby drop in camber curve correction without drilling any holes.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2015, 09:22:00 pm »
I thought small bearing till end of XY then large bearing XA on ,same as wheels ,xa on large hole .  Mustangs a little different with bearings ,large bearing on boss etc 1969 and 70 .

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2015, 09:23:41 pm »
they look pretty much 1968 mustang calipers because that whats on mine , and i just put xy pads in with the spring clip instead of the pins which push through .
my rotors are new one piece units to suit xw/xy which go straight on to the 67/68 spindle .

67 is different to 68,  Falcon will bolt to 68 on,also the calipers are left and right handed looking at your you have then on the wrong side, I think you will have bleeding issues.

Offline MACH_ONE

• Worked
  • torque to me
  • Name: Andrew
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2015, 09:24:22 pm »
I thought small bearing till end of XY then large bearing XA on ,same as wheels ,xa on large hole .  Mustangs a little different with bearings ,large bearing on boss etc 1969 and 70 .

shhh dont tell Shaunp but I put the part # s up on page 1 lol
My other car is a Mustang ( ok I lied this one cost me enough)

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2015, 09:33:55 pm »
When I owned a GTHO ph3 I broke the left hand side stub axle and the original XY were a different hight ,so I had to replace the other side as well with just a normal XY one because i could not find a PH 3 one .10 years later after selling the HO the new owner rang me to till me he fully restored it to factory specs   :grin: well he did until I told him the story  :thud: . I sent him the other one I took off and a year later he found one for the other side .  I think they used a Boss mustang one in the falcons but know one seem to know that at the time ,but I might be wrong .

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2015, 09:36:04 pm »
shhh dont tell Shaunp but I put the part # s up on page 1 lol

Yeah but its wrong, XA and "early" XB have small hub may have depended on the factory some what. XB stubs are also the same height as 67 on mustangs for some reason, then Ford Oz went back to 3/8 taller. You want the tall ones from a short wheel base car not wagon or Fairlane, these have a different ackerman angle, but if you plan on doing skids/drifting use the long wheel base stubs, less ackerman angle is a drifting trick.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2015, 09:39:07 pm »
Ok you brains ,what bearing fits 69 mustang plain Jane 302 sports roof factory disc brake front end .

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2015, 09:41:35 pm »
Ok you brains ,what bearing fits 69 mustang plain Jane 302 sports roof factory disc brake front end .
I'd guess early falcon.

Offline 67fasty.sm

• Worked
  • Name: shane
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2015, 09:48:06 pm »
yep spot on shaunp , that pic was 2 yrs ago well and truely been swapped around , the only bleeding issues i have now are at work when you get your fingers caught in the lip of some spouting .
Yeah you could be right with the spindles they were already on the car with those calipers just assumed that they had just fitted them to 67 spindles but looking back it was a bitsa car anyway .

Its funny how quick kids learn to drive a car, yet fail to understand a lawnmower.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2015, 09:49:39 pm »
Shaun your as smart as I am  :grin: .  I bought the early bearing for Rodney's mustang which still has its factory disc brakes and it takes the later big bearing ,so we looked it up and it was correct  :thud: . Some 69 and most 1970 do .  Think R code and G code 69 s do also .

Offline zlat347ci

• Worked
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Zlat
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2015, 10:26:22 pm »
So i went out and did a little test. Not sure how accurate the method  is however in my eyes thats some serious toe in?
Only one side jacked up, other wheel  at ground level.

https://youtu.be/gdx8gAr_rOE

Offline MACH_ONE

• Worked
  • torque to me
  • Name: Andrew
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2015, 10:34:23 pm »
Yeah but its wrong, XA and "early" XB have small hub may have depended on the factory some what. XB stubs are also the same height as 67 on mustangs for some reason, then Ford Oz went back to 3/8 taller. You want the tall ones from a short wheel base car not wagon or Fairlane, these have a different ackerman angle, but if you plan on doing skids/drifting use the long wheel base stubs, less ackerman angle is a drifting trick.

lol Ill agree to disagree but ford did throw some odd bits and pieces in cars back then so who knows...The only reason I found out with the bearings was I asked for small hub bearings when I changed to front discs the DB106H which is what   zlat347ci has so its the right rotor for XY through to XB and the same for mustang 64-66. The question is what spindle is it..l think maybe xa - xb...but im guessing thats why I have said to take the bearing out hopefully it has a part # once thats established he knows what spindle he has...but the reason Im pretty sure on the bearings is  I purchased what I thought was the small bearing kit but was given the wrong part which was 2746..I found out when I cornered the first time it grinded like buggery . I couldnt work out the griding noise until I re checked my parts...So I rang a few places such as rare spares, GT performance they confirmed the bearings which are 2746 I received (thanks Bursons) are nearly identical but they are for xa onwards... what I wanted was 2738 xy xw and also fit za - zd. Then I rang my mate who had the Timken parts cataloge he also said the same 2738 is the small bearing part # and he ordered the bearings for me...which fitted no probs I put the old 2746 against the 2738 a noticeable difference but the 2746 on its own you can not tell it fits ...the 2738 fits more into the hub. More than likely zlat347ci has the 2746 bearing for the later falcons....

zlat347ci if you do get the bearing out let me know the dimensions I can measure it with my old 2746 bearing if there is no part #.
My other car is a Mustang ( ok I lied this one cost me enough)

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2015, 10:51:48 pm »
It's only a 10 min job . Wheel off , dust cap off ,split pin out but have a new one handy ,undo nut and lift bearing out . Wipe clean on outer top edge and the brand and numbers are stamped on the smooth edge . Refit but don't do nut up to tight only a bit so rotor can still turn nice .  Repack bearing with some wheel bearing grease while its out . If you don't know how to repack a bearing I will talk you through it .

Offline zlat347ci

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2015, 11:05:52 pm »
Ill pull the bearing out tommorow and let you know what i come accross.

Did you get a chance  to look at my video?
If the toe is in cant it be adjusted out? Seems to have plenty of thread to go either way? 

Pictures show right side jack up, toe is in. Second picture shows left side on ground also toe in?

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2015, 11:17:49 pm »
No adjustment doesn't stop bumb steer . If it has falcon stubs and they haven't been bent for the steering arm  it will have bumb steer either when the front of the car lifts or when it lowers when driving . As I said a wheel alignment will soon tell you if it has as long as the guy does the pull down and lift test on it . Some don't bother testing they just set and forget . Soft suspension makes it worse because of the more travel up and down in the front end .  It is all fixable if they know what they are doing . John green from probe engeering has been doing these for years ,ask Shaun about this fix up . 

Offline zlat347ci

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2015, 11:28:32 pm »
Can anybody reccomend alignment shops who deal with classics in melbourne? Ive tried couple local places however advised they had no experience with old mustangs.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2015, 04:55:51 am »
Can anybody reccomend alignment shops who deal with classics in melbourne? Ive tried couple local places however advised they had no experience with old mustangs.

Just have them set your specs to this if your roads have just a little crown to them.

CAMBER - negative .3 to .4 . . Do not use more than that unless you are racing it because your tires will prematurely wear on the inside

TOE IN - 3/16 . . Do not set it to 1/16" unless you have all heim joints because it will go toe out at higher speeds when the suspension flexes.

CASTER - positive 2.5 . . You do NOT "need" more than that for a street car irregardless of what anyone tells you, however, you "can" run more than that of you want but it makes the car harder to turn . . Nothing is free, there is ALWAYS a trade off of some kind.

If you want greatly improved cornering, just lower your upper control arm 1" like the Shelby's . . This will also lower the front around 1/2 inch.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 05:05:14 am by barnett468 »

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2015, 08:05:31 am »
Make sure they put it on a machine that can lift the car high enough for them to get under the car ,so when they have their gear on it they can pull down on it so it comes down 40 mm or so and the same up to check the bumb steer . Other wise you will never know and they will just do the alignment . How knows you may not have bumb steer . If it does you either have to get the arms bent or get some original stubs fitted then have a brake problem . Up grading your brakes that you have now is easy ,new slotted rotors and XF calipers and they just bolt straight on .  Remember to ask the guy doing the alignment you really want to check the bumb steer 1st .

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2015, 08:47:13 am »
Ill pull the bearing out tommorow and let you know what i come accross.

Did you get a chance  to look at my video?
If the toe is in cant it be adjusted out? Seems to have plenty of thread to go either way? 

Pictures show right side jack up, toe is in. Second picture shows left side on ground also toe in?

the toe is adjusted with the wheels on the ground and there is a huge amount of adjustment for toe.

as far as your tires go, they will likely wander a little because they are perfectly flat across the face . . if you use tires that have a little crown, they will wander less.

this tire has a little bit of a crown.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 08:53:24 am by barnett468 »

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2015, 08:52:12 am »
The factory did not set them up 100% right any way. So do not worry to much about the extreme ends of suspension movement as you do not use the car (normally) in that area. It does nicely illustrate the affect.

I had John Green modify my front spindles for my 65 and all is well - from memory it was approximately 3/4 inch difference (but do not hold me to it). Any way, you know enough now to make the choice.

As far as the alignment settings, I basically agree with Barn other than Caster. I like more positive caster than he is suggesting. I would aim for minimum 3.5 deg though if you push it more and have power steering then closer to 6 degs while I personally in my 65 am running 8.5 degs (as I am after certain characteristics). For my tastes, the factory 2 degs tends to wonder around a lot especially under brakes. Naturally it is a personal thing.

BTW: What colour is your car? I like it.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2015, 08:58:25 am »
it looks to me like your outer tie rod rubber boot is damaged . . if this is the case, it suggests that the tie rods are old and therefore may be worn . . i would check the condition of all the parts before getting an alignment . . the idler arms on these are often loose/worn.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2015, 09:02:46 am »
The car will see the track every once in while

ok i would definitely do the shelby front arm drop that i suggested earlier if you haven't yet, otherwise you may end up in the bushes and should increase your insurance policy.

of this is high speed road race i would also run at least 4 degrees of caster.

if your front strut rod bushings are stock i would install new ones from global west or maier racing.

run at least a 7/8" front sway bar with urethane bushings.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 09:06:51 am by barnett468 »

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2015, 09:05:42 am »

Might be too far for you if you're on the other side of Melbourne but the only place I would go is to Rob Tuckett down at Hastings.

http://www.yellowpages.com.au/vic/hastings/tucketts-tyrepower-14272771-listing.html

Rob is a MOCA member and knows what he is doing with our cars.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2015, 05:14:26 pm »
Jack it up in the  middle of the front and take a picture of what the wheels do with both off the ground, if they point at odd angles it has bump steer, but I can assure you if it has Falcon spindle that Have not been modded it will have bump steer, no alignment can fix it.