Work needed to get a car registered in NSW?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Work needed to get a car registered in NSW?  (Read 30323 times)

Offline SMH00N

• Thoroughbred
  • Name: Stephen
  • Car: 70 Sportsroof Grabber pac
Work needed to get a car registered in NSW?
« on: December 12, 2014, 08:16:34 am »
Hi

I'm finally in a position to buy a car and it will be a 69 or 70 sportsroof.

I've not been able to see exactly what work (and cost) is required to put a car on the road in NSW with full rego (I probably won't join a club so historic won't be an option).

I figure the lights need to be changed but what other items need doing? I will do all the mechanical stuff myself so the cost will be purely parts to a large extent.

I am looking at bringing in a car versus buying one here. I've noticed a lack of these things here and the costs are on the high end for those here. I only want a driver spec car, not wanting to win trophies which does limit my options. I have a budget and I need to keep to that so I have to work out my expected dollar outlay and then work backwards to see what I can get and decide if I will be happy with what is out there for the money.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
Re: Work needed to get a car registered in NSW?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 09:27:37 am »
SM, if you get yourself a car that has not been modified, all you will need to do is:

Swap the headlights which will cost you about $40

Get a weigh bridge certificate about $20-$30

Get a blueslip which is about $150

Greenslip and rego etc which will depend on you personally.

As long as everything is in running order and up to standards such as tyres, brakes and all the other things that get checked at a blueslip, that's it. Go and enjoy your car  :thumb:
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline SMH00N

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 06:43:34 pm »
Hi Ash

Thanks, that answers my question perfectly.

Now to find a red 4 speed unit...

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 09:01:36 pm »
One other piece of advice ...Be wary ...If a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is.  There are many sorry stories of people being ripped off buying a "restored" Mustang, only to find the car has been bogged and painted, and really needs a total redo. Get someone reputable to do a detailed inspection, if you are unable to do this yourself. It's a cheap insurance for your peace of mind and your hard earned shekels. Tread warily and good luck with your search. Also, Welcome to the fraternity!
Cheers, Ron B

Offline big al

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 06:48:52 am »
Do not forget that a blue slip is a roadworthy and identity check.
By rights, the vehicle will need to have a full mechanical and safety inspection to make sure the car is safe for road use. Remember that the vehicle is 45  yrs old, so you may be up for some front end work and other bits and pieces.

As Ash said, headlights need to be changed to Australian standard Left Hand dip.

Another thing that gets missed alot is that  any vehicle manufactured after 1/1963 also requires rear  amber indicators, so by law these should be done. I know that there are alot of vehicles that haven't had this done, but after recently completing the blue slip examiners course, I have since found out that this is a legal requirement for all vehicles on full rego.So add this into your cost.

You will also need a right hand door mirror if the vehicle is left hand drive. Make sure that the vehicle also has a engine number. If there are any modifications that were not factory or available as a factory option, you will then require a VSCCS certificate (engineers report).

In regards to joining a club, you should! The benefits are many and your decision shouldn't just be based on the club rego scheme as a reason for joining. At least think about it.

Good luck in your search and hopefully you will find a good car.

Al

« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 09:36:54 am by big al »

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 08:00:58 am »
     Another thing that gets missed alot is that  any vehicle manufactured after 1/1963 also requires rear  amber indicators, so by law these should be done. I know that there are alot of vehicles that haven't had this done, but after recently completing the blue slip examiners course, I have since found out that this is a legal requirement for all vehicles on full rego.So add this into your cost.

My 76 model got got passed for full rego with flashing red rear indicators about 2 weeks ago. That's why I didn't mention this point.

What was the date that they changed this? Just so I have an argument if I get pulled over for it.

Offline big al

• Worked
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 09:33:09 am »
Ash, you should also have had an VSCCS certificate as anything built after 8/1972 is required to have one for full registration and has to meet ADR requirements of the year of manufacture of the vehicle, and the gentleman who did your Blue Slip should have asked for this!
          In Regards to the rear indicators in earlier models, someone very senior from Transport NSW was sitting next to me during the course and showed me the requirement in the book and I need to look it up to find the ruling. I know that there have been quite a few people now being fined for this as I have been doing the conversions for their vehicle to comply.

Al

Offline SMH00N

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 09:57:14 am »
Thanks all. Ron, I am pretty aware of the junk that's offered. This is why I am caught between buying a restorer I do myself or buy a completed car. I really don't want to do panel and paint but then the US pricing for a 'Decent' car is at the top of my budget. Hence asking these questions, I don't want to be the guy that sells it a year later quoting lack of funds as the reason.

Al thanks for the input. None of that is scary so all is good. I was worried about having to get engineers for seatbelts or seat mounts but if that is not an issue then we are good to go.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 09:58:28 am »
Really goes to show the faults in the system doesn't it and how it really just goes down to the interpretation of the rules from each person you deal with. I dealt with more than one person to my car registered and each did not mention anything.

There was one key question I was asked and that was, is the vehicle modified? My answer was no and I was told there was nothing to worry about and that I would only have to do the things I outlined in my first post. Which I did and it past with flying colours.

I guess in this outcome I am many hundreds better off and was able to miss out on the joyous experience of dealing with engineers.

Just found this in regards to registration of imported vehicles, dated 12/8/2014

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/roads/safety-rules/standards/vsi-04-registration-imported-vehicles.pdf

Here is what is states about rear indicators:

At least two front and two rear yellow direction indicator lights*

*For vehicles built before 1 July 1973, white front and red rear indicator lights are permissible.

Offline big al

• Worked
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 10:09:03 am »

Al thanks for the input. None of that is scary so all is good. I was worried about having to get engineers for seatbelts or seat mounts but if that is not an issue then we are good to go.

If you modify seat belts in anyway from the original style or mounting points, YES, you will need certification from either a seat belt fitting station or an engineer signatory

Al
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 10:14:45 am by big al »

Offline SMH00N

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 10:10:56 am »

*For vehicles built before 1 July 1973, white front and red rear indicator lights are permissible.

That was my understanding as well. My personal opinion is that the cars should be as they were made.
As long as a basically standard car can be put on the road that is roadworthy and safe I am happy with that.
I didn't want to have to spend thousands more getting official certification that the car is registerable which would stuff up the plans somewhat

Offline big al

• Worked
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 10:13:45 am »
Really goes to show the faults in the system doesn't it and how it really just goes down to the interpretation of the rules from each person you deal with.

Just found this in regards to registration of imported vehicles, dated 12/8/2014

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/roads/safety-rules/standards/vsi-04-registration-imported-vehicles.pdf

On the ruling that this gentleman from Transport NSW showed me, it stated that rear indicators "HAD" to be amber.
As you said Ash, just goes to show the inconsistencies of the system. He also stated that there are a few more things about to change in regards to this! But he would not elaborate any further no matter how hard I tried to quiz him.
Al
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 10:16:46 am by big al »

Offline SMH00N

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2014, 10:20:29 am »
On the ruling that this gentleman from Transport NSW showed me, it stated that rear indicators "HAD" to be amber.
As you said Ash, just goes to show the inconsistencies of the system. He also stated that there are a few more things about to change in regards to this! But he would not elaborate any further no matter how hard I tried to quiz him.
Al

Australia, welcome to NSW rules and regulations :thud:

Offline big al

• Worked
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2014, 10:35:14 am »

In regards to this ruling, I think that yes you can have red flashing rear indicators, BUT they must be separate to the stop/taillight.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2014, 10:39:50 am »
I guess it again falls into the case of the ruling being vague enough to be interpreted in different ways.

Offline 66 Stang

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Keith
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2014, 11:26:44 am »
[quote author=Ash link=topic=25453.msg253721#msg253721 date=1418425108

[/quote]

I know of guys who carry this document in the glove box, as it's the highway patrol who usually challenge in the first instance, as you say it's how the rules are interpreted.

Offline big al

• Worked
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2014, 12:41:26 pm »
I know of guys who carry this document in the glove box, as it's the highway patrol who usually challenge in the first instance, as you say it's how the rules are interpreted.

Yes, it is exactly how the rules are interpreted!

Offline 67fasty.sm

• Worked
  • Name: shane
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 06:55:50 pm »
Keith just read that doc , pretty straight forward , and with regards to amber indicators it quite clearly shows that white front and red rear are acceptable thats why they have the asterix at the end of the amber indicator requirement to reference to and how that could be interpreted any differently would be beyond me .
With regards to highway patrol they need to be educated on what is and isn't correct
Its funny how quick kids learn to drive a car, yet fail to understand a lawnmower.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 07:14:39 pm »
Don't you guys in NSW need to change the seat belts .  I don't like the idea of just having lap belts .

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 07:39:04 pm »
Nope. As they came from new. And if they had none, they'd prefer that. Makes no F###ing sense at all.

Offline big al

• Worked
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 01:52:13 pm »
Here are the actual pages from the RMS Rule book in regards to the ruling on the rear indicator colour. All AUVIS (Blue Slip Stations) have this and this is the ruling that are meant to go of. It CLEARLY states that the rear indicators must be amber and the date that  the rule became effective was 01/63. For your perusal!

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 01:55:50 pm »
But Al, the document is also dated 1/9/1994.

Offline big al

• Worked
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2014, 02:44:56 pm »
The date is 1994 because the rules have not been superseded. And regardless of the Date Ash, this is the current standing document that all inspection stations have to follow. And I only obtained my book 2 months ago.  As an authorised AUVIS station, they are the rules that I and others have to follow and abide by!
Al

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2014, 03:26:16 pm »
Fair enough, Al.

I still find it inconsistent. Sorry, I'm not deliberately trying to argue, just saying my experiences and to get a clear understanding. If I do in fact get pulled over for it one day, I'd prefer my argument to have something to stand on.

When I first got my 66 registered on full rego, I rang the RTA tech support to confirm what my requirements were as I was getting very mixed opinions from the blue slip mechanics I spoke to. Most of them had never inspected an American import before so had no idea.
This was about 3 years ago and the tech support at the RTA, I think his name was Niel off the top of my head, said I could have flashing red tail lights incorporated into the brake lights, as they were from the US. He also told me I only required one single mirror on the drivers side. He told me that they were the rules and if the person doing the inspection had a problem, get them to ring him to confirm. So I then rang around until I found someone who said the same as the RTA and I booked my car in with them.

In the link I posted before, it is titled and says this:

Vehicle standards
information

PUBLISHED 12 AUGUST 2014 | REV. 6
Supersedes VSI No. 4 | Rev.5 | 24 May 2011

Would that not mean that it is the latest ruling which supersedes the previous document released 24/5/2011? All of which supersedes the documents from 1994? And if not, what purpose are the later documents written for?

I know it is all a mess which is of course no surprise with it being a government agency. To make it worse they had to become the RMS which I think in their aim was to simplify, yet they did the opposite.

Offline big al

• Worked
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2014, 04:40:54 pm »
Ash, I would be more concerned about other things than just  the rear indicators on your vehicle. With no VSCCS safety report as required by the RMS, you are treading a thin line. I would suggest that you have it complied legally which includes the VSCCS report and then you do not have a thing to worry about!
You will then be fully legal!
I also spoke to Technical Enquiries today and spoke to James, He stated that the rear indicator and the brake light need to be a separate item. He stated that that is the legislation. If I have any queries, That's who I ring, and they give me the direction. What more can I say.

It seems that a lot of people on here  seem to know more than the RMS themselves who wrote the rules! Maybe they should go and get a job in the RMS technical department!
Al

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 04:53:04 pm by big al »