Work needed to get a car registered in NSW?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Work needed to get a car registered in NSW?  (Read 30325 times)

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
Re: Work needed to get a car registered in NSW?
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2014, 05:00:24 pm »
It seems that a lot of people on here  seem to know more than the RMS themselves who wrote the rules! Maybe they should go and get a job in the RMS technical department!
Al

I never said that I knew more. I merely repeated what I was told. Just as you did.

I'm out.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline big al

• Worked
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2014, 05:27:25 pm »
I never said that I knew more. I merely repeated what I was told. Just as you did.

I never said that you did!
As a representative and on behalf of the RMS we (AUVIS stations) have to follow the rules and directions that they give us..
Enough has been said on this now!

Al

Offline fordtj69

• Worked
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2014, 10:10:28 am »
hi Al
so Al can you ran on the rear lights parkers and stop light's in the main red len's and reverse and blinkers in the reversing lens down below with a switchback led ? plus do the blinker's need to be a certain height from the ground ? mine's a 69 but it should be the same 64 1/2 on
cheers tim
 :cheers:
I will travel far for a car up and over the hill's to Clancy's at the bottom of the big mountain
member of the big dog car club

BDCC

Offline big al

• Worked
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2014, 12:04:59 pm »
Tim, If I remember correctly, your 69 is going to be RHD or already has been converted.
It will need a VSCCS certificate  and the certifier will check the car. By Rights, the rear indicator should be 400mm from the ground but I don't think that they worry too much about that, so you will have to ask. Although, I don't think that the USA cars need to qualify for the height Ruling. Being RHD, It most certainly will require separate Stop Lamp to Indicator Function. The thing that the RMS are worried about Tim, is that the Indicators and the Stop Lamp are separate from each other and are able to be easily distinguished from each other. Some people have had severe rear enders because the driver of the vehicle behind cannot, or does not have the ability to differentiate between the 2. The certifier will be able to guide you!
Al

Offline fordtj69

• Worked
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2014, 10:04:57 pm »
thanks al for the reply
cheers tim :cheers:
I will travel far for a car up and over the hill's to Clancy's at the bottom of the big mountain
member of the big dog car club

BDCC

Offline ultrablox

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Yuri
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2014, 05:13:46 am »
Sorry for offtop, but who does check the certificate and its existance (in what step)?
In Russia, we have following pipeline to "legalize" its usage:
1. Get some kind of a certificate, that it works correctly (now, some commercial organizations also can do this certificate). They must check that lights match the standard, there are no splits in glass near driver, etc.
2. Having this certificate (it is called diagnostic card), the insurance company sells you an insurance policy.
3. Having the insurance policy, you go to the police station, and they check VIN, documents, and give you number plates and a document verifies, that the car is registered on you.
What is pipeline in the Australia?

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2014, 08:10:48 am »
In Australia  to get a older mustang ready for rego is a headache  a newer one a bigger headache . In Russia  a walk in the park .  :smile01:

Offline ultrablox

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2014, 05:44:01 pm »
Ouuu, really so difficult even for a S197 body?

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2014, 06:37:46 pm »
Yes huge they have to be converted to right hand drive and pass all government requirements . $35,000 plus to get them done .

Offline BossKraft

• Worked
    • Bosskraft
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2014, 08:05:36 pm »
Here are the actual pages from the RMS Rule book in regards to the ruling on the rear indicator colour. All AUVIS (Blue Slip Stations) have this and this is the ruling that are meant to go of. It CLEARLY states that the rear indicators must be amber and the date that  the rule became effective was 01/63. For your perusal!

Unfortunately, Ash, the info posted by Alan, is very much out of date. I enforced these laws for years and worked extremely closely with the RMS inspectors and the enforcement unit while in the Highway Patrol. I was involved with inspecting pink and blue slip stations, checking their books, making sure they know what they're doing and here is a reason why they need checking. It's common knowledge that many don't understand how to, for lack of a better description 'read' or 'understand' the legislation, pertaining to registration.

The info posted, quite simply, is incorrect. Refer below for the correct info. I've bolded the relevant sections, to save boring you with info that doesn't relate to correcting the misleading info.

ROAD TRANSPORT (VEHICLE REGISTRATION) REGULATION 2007

113 Operation and visibility of direction indicator lights

(1) A direction indicator light fitted to a motor vehicle must:
(a) when operating, display regular flashes of light at a rate of not over 120 flashes a minute, and:
(i) for a motor vehicle with 4 or more wheels-at least 60 flashes a minute, or

(ii) for any other motor vehicle-at least 45 flashes a minute, and

(b) be able to be operated by a person in the normal driving position, and

(c) be wired to an audible or visible device in the vehicle that tells the driver that the direction indicator light is operating, and

(d) flash at the same time and rate as any other direction indicator lights fitted on the same side of the vehicle.

(2) A direction indicator light fitted to a side of a trailer must, when operating, flash at the same time and rate as the direction indicator light or lights fitted to the same side of the motor vehicle towing the trailer.

(3) The flashes of light displayed by a direction indicator light must be:
(a) if the light faces forward-white or yellow, and

(b) if the light faces backwards:
(i) yellow, or

(ii) for a vehicle built before July 1973-yellow or red, and

(c) if the light faces out from the side of the vehicle:
(i) white or yellow towards the front and side, and

(ii) for a vehicle built before July 1973-yellow or red towards the rear and side, and

(iii) for a vehicle built after June 1973-yellow towards the rear and side.

Pretty simple, really. If you're knocked back by any inspection station for having a red flashing indicator on your pre '73 vehicle, let me know. I'll let the appropriate section of the RMS know so that they can action it accordingly.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 08:09:38 pm by BossKraft »
Sean McDonagh
MCA Gold Card Judge
Judge at SAAC events
Retired MOCA Head Judge (one of them)

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2014, 08:24:05 pm »
Queensland is pretty much the same it sounds like . We don't have to change the rear blinkers before 73 from red the amber . Anyway that's in QLD .

Offline BossKraft

• Worked
    • Bosskraft
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2014, 08:47:45 pm »
Queensland is pretty much the same it sounds like . We don't have to change the rear blinkers before 73 from red the amber . Anyway that's in QLD .

That'd be right, Glenn. The Australian Road Rules (ARR's) were bought in, in 1999, to unify the rules throughout Australia, but it didn't take long for each of the States to implement their own acts, regulations and laws, to override the ARR's so that they could have their own take on the rules again. Really defeated the purpose of their design in the first place, but it is, what it is.
Sean McDonagh
MCA Gold Card Judge
Judge at SAAC events

Offline scedd1

• Worked
  • Name: Steve
  • Car: 68 Coupe - Frankenstang
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2014, 06:32:38 am »
I didnt have to change to Amber indicators in Frankenstang for QLd rego, but converting the reversing lights to to amber lenses and then adding a tiny reversing light by the number plate was so simple.
For me it was logical, most people here couldnt drive a greasy stick up a dogs arse and the last thing you want on the road is people confused by a red indicator.
I dont want to be explaining to a copper that i was in the right while there is a Corolla stuck in my boot.
.  ____________
./____________ \.
 ( ]]] _ _ O _ _ [[[ )
\_ o _ _____ _ o _/
 |___|            |___|

Offline Wharfie66

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2014, 07:11:31 am »
a lil bit off topic, Hey Steve, a friend of mine has the exact same plate as yours in NSW   :pepper:   :burnout:   :thumb:

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2014, 08:50:03 am »
I have done the same with the reverse lights on mine Scedd. I havent added a separate reverse light (cause I am a concourse nut) though, the reverse lights work as normal, but are now orange. Early falcons have a shared reverse lamp/flasher so I cant see it being an issue for anyone following me.

Offline BossKraft

• Worked
    • Bosskraft
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2014, 11:36:54 am »
I didnt have to change to Amber indicators in Frankenstang for QLd rego, but converting the reversing lights to to amber lenses and then adding a tiny reversing light by the number plate was so simple.
For me it was logical, most people here couldnt drive a greasy stick up a dogs arse and the last thing you want on the road is people confused by a red indicator.
I dont want to be explaining to a copper that i was in the right while there is a Corolla stuck in my boot.

Im sure what you've done works and looks just the way you intended. With the legislation I posted, correcting the misleading info in this thread, you clearly have that choice to leave it, or change it. For those of us that like our cars concours correct, or original, it's awesome, as we don't need to touch the factory arrangement.
Sean McDonagh
MCA Gold Card Judge
Judge at SAAC events

Offline griff

• Worked
  • 65GT Slowback
  • Name: griff
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2014, 03:53:03 pm »

steve, i put switchback LED's in front and rear with clear lens so i have amber indicator/white park on front,  and amber ind/white reverse on rear.
it reqd modifying the lampholder base and wiring but thats easy stuff.
with the rear i got the biggest LED i could fit as i wanted killer reverse lights and theyre just that, so i dont have to rely on reversing by braille up my driveway at 2am.
(and yes dammit im missing a bolt!)
greg

« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 07:04:24 pm by griff »
when a 3 month engine rebuild turns into 3 year bare metal resto.
you get that .....

Offline BossKraft

• Worked
    • Bosskraft
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2014, 05:30:38 pm »
They look really good !
Sean McDonagh
MCA Gold Card Judge
Judge at SAAC events

Offline griff

• Worked
  • 65GT Slowback
  • Name: griff
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2014, 07:03:13 pm »
thanks sean, the rears are extremely bright which is how i wanted the reverse lamps,  ive been a few times about them.
i ended up more recently disconnecting the amber turn signal and reverting to brake lamp/indicator for retro look or some excuse i cant remember...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 07:05:02 pm by griff »
when a 3 month engine rebuild turns into 3 year bare metal resto.
you get that .....

Offline 68Coupe

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Andrew
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2014, 07:29:40 pm »
I've posted this previously, but I've installed these dual colour backup lamp/indicator in the '68 coupe from Mustang Project. Easy and inexpensive mod that gives you an amber indicator and bright white backup lamp in your stock back up lamps with clear lenses so looks absolutely original.

http://www.mustangproject.com/ProductDisplay.aspx?ID=813ae9d2-cbdf-4ed8-86aa-3d9d237f37d7

« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 07:45:33 pm by 68Coupe »

Offline gbx78

• Stallion
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2014, 08:44:47 pm »
Unfortunately, Ash, the info posted by Alan, is very much out of date. I enforced these laws for years and worked extremely closely with the RMS inspectors and the enforcement unit while in the Highway Patrol. I was involved with inspecting pink and blue slip stations, checking their books, making sure they know what they're doing and here is a reason why they need checking. It's common knowledge that many don't understand how to, for lack of a better description 'read' or 'understand' the legislation, pertaining to registration.

The info posted, quite simply, is incorrect. Refer below for the correct info. I've bolded the relevant sections, to save boring you with info that doesn't relate to correcting the misleading info.

ROAD TRANSPORT (VEHICLE REGISTRATION) REGULATION 2007

113 Operation and visibility of direction indicator lights

(1) A direction indicator light fitted to a motor vehicle must:
(a) when operating, display regular flashes of light at a rate of not over 120 flashes a minute, and:
(i) for a motor vehicle with 4 or more wheels-at least 60 flashes a minute, or

(ii) for any other motor vehicle-at least 45 flashes a minute, and

(b) be able to be operated by a person in the normal driving position, and

(c) be wired to an audible or visible device in the vehicle that tells the driver that the direction indicator light is operating, and

(d) flash at the same time and rate as any other direction indicator lights fitted on the same side of the vehicle.

(2) A direction indicator light fitted to a side of a trailer must, when operating, flash at the same time and rate as the direction indicator light or lights fitted to the same side of the motor vehicle towing the trailer.

(3) The flashes of light displayed by a direction indicator light must be:
(a) if the light faces forward-white or yellow, and

(b) if the light faces backwards:
(i) yellow, or

(ii) for a vehicle built before July 1973-yellow or red, and

(c) if the light faces out from the side of the vehicle:
(i) white or yellow towards the front and side, and

(ii) for a vehicle built before July 1973-yellow or red towards the rear and side, and

(iii) for a vehicle built after June 1973-yellow towards the rear and side.

Pretty simple, really. If you're knocked back by any inspection station for having a red flashing indicator on your pre '73 vehicle, let me know. I'll let the appropriate section of the RMS know so that they can action it accordingly.

interesting read and thanks for posting mate! that literally clarifies it for me and my car is good to go with a red or yellow flashing indicator. very happy to have read this. Im on the right path

Offline ultrablox

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2014, 08:47:56 pm »
yes, it's really hard... does anybody in the inspection/police really check all these requierments? And are there really all left-steering cars prohibited for driving in AU?

Offline 68Coupe

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Andrew
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2014, 09:13:46 pm »
yes, it's really hard... does anybody in the inspection/police really check all these requierments? And are there really all left-steering cars prohibited for driving in AU?

Yes they are checked but appears to be open to interpretation depending on who's checking. Cars over 30 years old are able to stay left hand drive in Australia.  :smile01:

Offline 66 Stang

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Keith
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2014, 09:16:27 pm »
Yes they are checked but appears to be open to interpretation depending on who's checking. Cars over 30 years old are able to stay left hand drive in Australia.  :smile01:

Not that we want any more Lada's out here Ultrablox :grin:

Offline ultrablox

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2014, 09:23:06 pm »
Not that we want any more Lada's out here Ultrablox :grin:

sorry for my english, but I haven't understood the joke