My First 67 Coupe build.

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: My First 67 Coupe build.  (Read 64725 times)

Offline CraigF

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Craig
Re: My First 67 Coupe build.
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2015, 08:01:45 pm »
Floor Rail supports in place.

Offline CraigF

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2015, 08:53:14 pm »
Floor welded into place

Offline CraigF

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2015, 08:55:13 pm »
Starting to remove the rad support and aprons.

Offline CraigF

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2015, 08:57:30 pm »
Apron off

Offline CraigF

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2015, 06:43:40 am »
Shock Towers and rear aprons.

Offline CraigF

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2015, 06:46:43 am »
Now it off with the upper and lower cowls to see if there are any surprises. The rust in this car is actually not bad at all. it seems to be restricted to non structural parts that are easily repairable or replaceable.

Offline CraigF

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2015, 06:52:38 am »
And finally out came the dash and firewall. It has now officially become a big job.

Offline CraigF

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2015, 07:03:50 am »
I now have a good few hours of drilling out the spot weld and cleaning the area ready to start reassembly. The parts I have got all seem to be of good quality and good metal gauge. I have offered the cowls up to see how they fit and they don't look to bad at all but the proof will be in the final fit.

I brought the parts from Mustang Auto Parts in Bulimba, Brisbane. They were really helpful and save me a truck load of freight charges.
One thing I'm not sure of is the front torque boxes. I was told by the shop that the boxes were the same for all of the Mustangs and they gave me a set for a Convertible. But I thought they were different. Can anybody shed some light onto that one please before I wreck the trying to fit them.

ok that's about it for an update and its off to grind spot welds. Next post I'll be trial fitting all the parts fully.
P.s Plasma cutters are my favorite toy!!!

Offline peter9231

• Member-Society of Automotive Engineers Australasia
  • Worked
  • Name: Peter
  • Car: 66 convertible
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2015, 08:17:37 am »
Good job,
And love the clean work area.. the sign of a good tradesman.
Peter.
"If you are not prepared to be part of the solution you forfeit your right to criticise"

Offline sea67n

• Worked
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Sean
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2015, 08:48:54 pm »
You aren't mucking around there mate! going to be a quality rip down and rebuild by the looks of it, keep the updates coming as you go!

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2015, 08:31:56 pm »
The CV torque boxes are different from the hardtop & FB in one area, AFAIK, due to allowance for the extra wide / double sill that the CV has compared to the others.

Offline 66 Stang

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Keith
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2015, 09:07:49 pm »
Holy cow, that's a massive job, there is not much left of the original car, good on you for taking on such a big project, I will be watching this one with interest.

Cheers
Keith
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 09:10:17 pm by 66 Stang »

Offline CraigF

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2015, 09:34:50 pm »
Hi all.

Thanks for the feedback and advice. I realized as soon as I looked that the torque boxes were wrong and took them back.
this is my first time at doing this and have the help of a really skilled panel beater for the body work and all the tools I need from work.
I am hoping to have a great looking classic car with a special drive line and engine. I purchased the RHD dash today and we will be dry fitting the firewall, cowls and dash in Valentines day weekend so I'll keep you all posted.
Once again I am a newbie to this with a big dream so I'll be looking for all the advice I can get.
Progress will be slow at time as funds allow but I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks again we appreciate it. Glad someone's interested. 

Offline CraigF

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2015, 09:09:43 pm »
Hi everyone. Just a quick update to let everyone know and seek any advice. I have started replacing the front panels for the RHD conversion. I decided to replace the torque box and also put one on the right hand side. After everything I have read and seen on the internet I can honestly say that even though it may well be a worth while mod for a high power engine it is a serious pain. The original left hand side went in a dream but the right hand side the shape of the torque box leaves a lot to be desired. The final outcome is that I will be modifying the box to make it fit correctly on the toe board of the firewall.
Has anyone else had these dramas.
I'll post some pictures later in the week. As with a lot of projects I felt I had worked all weekend with minimal results.

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2015, 09:44:06 pm »
I fitted a RH torque box to my '67 FB & it fitted up with no dramas whatsoever. I don't know why yours is a poor fit - again have you got the right one, a mirror image to your original LH one?

I just made sure I painted & rust-proofed the interior faces of mine before I had it welded in, & the floorpan, because you can't adequately get to it all afterwards. You seem to be doing all of that type of work with great diligence.
Don't be discouraged, yes much of the work you're doing now is hidden later. But YOU know that it's all being done correctly, & that there couldn't possibly be any re-work required down the track. You're doing more than Ford ever cared to do.

Offline RuffCoupe

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2015, 11:09:36 pm »
I bought a pair of torque boxes for my '65 coupe - said '65 on the box but were for a '67, had to buy another pair.
They're at Shaun Power's place if you want to check them out for shape/fit.
Send him a pm - sure he'll be happy for you to check them out.

Cheers

J

Offline CraigF

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2015, 08:06:46 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys. I have the right boxes, at least they are labeled correctly. The left one fits like a glove albeit a tight glove. The right one fits great across the bottom of the rail sop ports and rocker panel but it's as if the vertical section is cut off acros the top at an angle. I,lol post some pics shortly.
I have worked out how to fix it and enable the angled piece to sit flush against the firewall toe board it's just a pain to get it done but not difficult. Your definitely right about getting some paint inside those boxes prior to fitting.
Thanks again

Offline unilec5544

• Worked
  • Name: Neil.
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2015, 09:49:06 pm »
Did you purchase the RHD dash trim pieces to match the dash. From what I hear, that's what most people have dramas with.

http://www.rrs-online.com.au/rhdpanelkit.php

Offline CraigF

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2015, 09:50:18 pm »
Haven't brought the dash inserts or any interior yet. Aiming to complete the bodywork this year.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2015, 02:24:53 pm »
Got some coupe torque box if you want them I think, not vert ones.

Offline CraigF

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2015, 09:30:49 pm »
Thanks Shaun.
I think I have it sorted now.
I'll post some pictures over the weekend. Turning out really well after some massaging on the right hand side.
Left one fits like a glove.

Offline CraigF

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2015, 09:48:13 pm »
Just a quick ref before the weekend work begins.
I took a quick measurement and level check on my front rails before I start to finally weld the firewall and cowl in place.
Not bad even if I do say so myself.

Offline CraigF

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2015, 01:59:30 pm »
Hi all.
Need a little help on some measurements.
I can't remember the distance from the front of my floor support rails to the edge of the floor tunnel support and if it a critical measurement.
Can anyone help me out.
67 coupe.
Thanks.

Offline CraigF

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2015, 09:58:52 pm »
We have been busy over the last couple of weeks and managed to get the torque boxes looking good with the firewall welded to the floor, rails and torque boxes. starting to get some strength back into the body.
I still have to weld the curved floor support into place once I work out the correct dimension but that can go in a little later. Have decided to either replace or repair the "A" pillars as they have a little rust on the inside. Nothing serious but I don't want it to come through in 5 or 10 years.
Also plan on painting the lower cowl prior to welding it into place just to stop any water penetrating at a later date but that does mean I have to decide a colour.
My better half wants a red on but I can't decide. Should I go for a traditional red or one of the new style candy colours such as the latest Mazda six red with a deep candy glow. Opinions please??
I'll post some pics.

Offline CraigF

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2015, 10:02:45 pm »
This picture shows the torque boxes in place. The one on the right hand side looks really good considering the struggle we had making it fit correctly.