Factory 5 '33 Hot Rod Complete Kit

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Factory 5 '33 Hot Rod Complete Kit  (Read 17941 times)

Offline JadeMach1

• Thoroughbred
  • Car: H code Mach1
Factory 5 '33 Hot Rod Complete Kit
« on: October 06, 2014, 09:42:16 am »
I know it’s not a Mustang but it is sort of a ford ….

Has anyone in Victoria built a Factory 5 '33 Hot Rod. I have been looking at the website www.factoryfive.com/order-a-kit/international-orders/australia/ and are thinking that this may be a interesting project to undertake.

Always want to build a kit car and hot rod this may kill to birds with one stone.

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
Re: Factory 5 '33 Hot Rod Complete Kit
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 12:47:53 pm »
Jade, I have a Factory5 Roadster with a big block in it.  They are well built and easy to find your way around, most bits are Mustang.  They sell all parts for them as well, which are pretty easy to get.   Nowadays the chassis can be manufactured to suit just about any driveline you wish when its first ordered.   

Before you start though, find a decent engineer that is willing to tick all the boxes for you.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 12:22:27 am by Macka »

Offline JadeMach1

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 01:05:42 pm »
I was under impression that the kit was fully ADR compliant if purchased by the Aus Dealer...

Who did you get as engineer for the project? As the guy I used for the my mustang right conversion has now retired..

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 01:13:24 pm »
Try    Jean-Christophe (JC) Bonneville Mechanical Engineer -

ME (Mech) MIEAustMSAE VASS 1042Phone: 0427 212 464Fax: 03 8679 3681

Email: jc@bonneville.com.au   PostalP.O Box 612Endeavour Hills, Victoria 3802

he's over your way.

http://www.bonneville.com.au/

Offline JadeMach1

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 01:18:08 pm »
Cheers for the info.

Will give a call once I have selected a drive train combo and have some engineering drawings for the kit.

Want to have a firm plan and approval in principle of the concept before I start to spend too much money

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 06:33:52 pm »
To be honest I don't much about these, but I do have 2 Brookville roadster 32's on the go,  one is a roaster the other is a coupe. These are all steel bodies very well made. Get on to Duane at Kiwi connections in the US and have him build you a chassis he knows how to do them to Oz spec, forget fibre glass, build a steel one. Checkout Brookville Roadsters web site. The stuff is first class and it's real steel. You will get a roller chassis with everything on it  brakes 9" etc for about 7k, bit more if you want a Winters quick change diff, Highboy steel body is about 12k. Only way to fly, if they are plastic they are just a kit car no more. Ill post some pics.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 06:38:21 pm »
Hot rod should be steel not Tupperware these guys do a great job. You can get the RHD Vega steering boxes, it all too easy to do.
Brookville 32 highboy steel body

32 3 window
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 06:46:56 pm by shaunp »

Offline 69candy

• Worked
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 07:34:39 pm »
Very interested in this as I to have always wanted a 33 rod. I always wanted to know how the usa kits would go with ADR and engineer to sign off on it. Keep me posted with what you find out please

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 08:01:18 pm »
Because they are kit car not a true rod, they will have to run on a modern engine or LPG kind of like if you build a GT40

Offline Pinto Pete

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Nigel
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 08:22:10 pm »
this applies to both yes  ? unless a certain % is original..
It is far easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 08:26:11 pm »
this applies to both yes  ? unless a certain % is original..

Yes but the steel ones you can get through because no one knows they are not an original car really they are quite exact. QLD is the easiest on Rods.

Offline j1autotech

• Worked
  • MOCA VIC member 1828
  • Name: Justin
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 08:46:38 pm »
G'day Jade, haven't done a Factory 5 '33 Hot Rod, but have done plenty of other stuff.

But as your only asking about this and have always wanted to build a kit car and hot rod I wont go on.

J1

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 09:07:32 pm »
Keep in mind that there is quite a difference in building prices ,between a 32 or a 33 and a 34 . That also goes for  building a coupe compared with a roadster , a coupe needs a lot more gear for it to comply . 32 and 33s are smaller than a 34 all round and in a coupe there's just no room to move in the cabin . A 34 would be my choice in a coupe ,no roof means sunburn . A mate of mine has just built  one  of the toughest if not the toughest 34 coupes in Australia ,around 1400 HP street driven in something that weighs as much as a can of beer .

Offline JadeMach1

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 08:22:41 am »
Don’t want to get involved in the real steal vers plastic debate which is really boring. A car should be judge on what it does not what it made from. So does a repro steal body guys get given a hard time from vintage tin guys?? Just a thought...

I was looking at this kit car as the most of engineering has been done already and I don't have the equipment at home to do steal body fabrication to ensure that the body from one supplier matches the chassis from another supplier.

I would like a 32 Hi Boy but are concern about cost. With the kit car about 30 thousand provides about everything you need except for the drive train, exhaust, wheels and paint (so lets say to complete the kit I am looking at about 60 grand). How much would I be looking at to get a 32 hi boy to the same build state? By the way I love look of the hot rods pictured above and think they will look great when they are finished.

I have looked at buying a couple of hi boys in the past but would need to spend money on them to suit my own style and taste. As they have been built to meet somebody else idea of what a hot rod should be not mine...

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 07:03:04 pm »
If you don't mind a glass car you can get them here, Wally Deskins's at C&W here in Brisbane does chassis / body combo's think they have a web site. Like I said Kiwi connection in the US will do you a full rolling chassis with everything on it fit for Oz compliance brakes suspension new 9" etc, and the Brookville steel bodies are beautiful, rods are like mustangs you can buy every part new, We have real 29 model Tudor body here to build for the bloke I work with.  I personally think you are better to buy the chassis and body then get the rest of the stuff you like so it doesn't look like a pop out kit car. You then need decide what engine you want to run, most run a chev, this mostly due to the fact the oil filter fits between the rails, Fords stick out at an angle and can hit the rail, secret is to use a Landrover disco filter which is shorter. The 32 we are helping with is running a tradition Flathead with alloy heads and twin carbs, backed up by a manual shift T700. Another bunch that make bodies here is Deuce customs they are quite nice again glass. You can make a glass car look like a steel one but they tend to crack the paint from time to time. 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 07:07:48 pm by shaunp »

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 07:05:58 pm »
Here you go Wally is a local hot rodder from around where I live, he now lives the dream building and selling them.

http://www.cwcomponents.com.au/

Deuce customs

http://www.deucecustoms.com.au/

Duece used to export their bodies to the US.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 07:08:52 pm by shaunp »

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 12:28:16 am »
If people are unfamiliar with what Factory 5 does, they should have a look at the science and engineering that go into their cars.  They are not a box channelled frame with unworkable suspension mods fitted.  These things are monsters and a piece of art, well engineered and designed to be driven.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2014, 09:12:43 am »
If people are unfamiliar with what Factory 5 does, they should have a look at the science and engineering that go into their cars.  They are not a box channelled frame with unworkable suspension mods fitted.  These things are monsters and a piece of art, well engineered and designed to be driven.

Understand what they are, just depends what you want, a space frame kit car with a hot rod body or a more traditional rod. They are not really a Hot rod. These days the more traditional the Rod is the more it's worth. An original steel body, is the top of the tree for value, and so on down. I think you will  find it would not fit in to the ASRF Rod build specs here, which are based on more old school rodding, and would have to built to limited production build, like a cobra or GT40 etc, it's a much stricter set of build rules to comply with and extra cost. You'd need to understand what you are getting into, to get it on the road, and be prepared for extra cost. Horses for courses I guess. Contact the ASRF and find out if can be built as a rod, you would need to join them and submit designs for approval before you start, assuming it is considered a Rod, you then have a range of stage inspections as you build it for sign off.

Offline JadeMach1

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2014, 10:36:18 am »
I have request a data package from the Australia dealer for factory 5 hotrod so that I can then speak to an engineer in Victoria about what spec I can build car for full registration in Victoria. I am thinking a late model XR8 spec motor and manual gearbox would be the most efficient combination for drivability and emission. Once I know if the car will pass engineering I will then consider putting the deposit down and start on project. As I don’t want to waste money on building a car that cannot be registered.

I am going to a ASRF rod run at Lake Mulwala and will speak to some more people about the kit car and if it would be considered suitable for membership as a hot rod. As the vehicle is styled upon of 33 Ford..

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2014, 01:00:45 pm »
Jade, as Shaun suggested do your homework which it sounds like you are.  Also the "trusted engineer" that's approved by VicRoads needs to in on it all the way through.   :thumb:

Offline JadeMach1

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2014, 01:11:51 pm »
Jade, as Shaun suggested do your homework which it sounds like you are.  Also the "trusted engineer" that's approved by VicRoads needs to in on it all the way through.   :thumb:

Will keep everyone informed of progress once the data pack comes in....

And the advice that I get from ASRF...

Might become an interesting build thread
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 01:14:16 pm by JadeMach1 »

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2014, 05:25:58 pm »
Pretty sure you can down load the ASRF build guidelines booklet, have a look. This covers what is allowed and what is not and how to do it etc.  Things like for example on the 29 we will be  running 10" wheels so it needs a full floater rear axle etc. Not sure how it works down there but in QLD there are guys who only approve Rods that's it they are not the normal Engineers.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2014, 05:29:05 pm »
Here you go all the details, need to talk to your local TAC officer. Links to DOTAR's guidelines here as well.

http://www.asrf.org.au/?page_id=15
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 05:31:16 pm by shaunp »

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2014, 05:38:03 pm »
That's right Shaun ,its the Australian street rod federation that checks the build in stages and sometimes the  TAC guys have different ideas . And what's strange they allow and have different rules for different states .  You could buy a street rod from one state and then have to do modifications to get rego in another .

Offline 67fasty.sm

• Worked
  • Name: shane
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2014, 09:26:49 pm »
I would assume that they would be no different to any other kit car , like the modern look shelby styled cobra built on an xr8  or the gt 40 clone which are made in Qld cant see too many issues to be honest .
I have had hotrods and been around hotrods for 40 yrs and to me whether its a space frame chassis , a glass body , old school , fully tricked out they are all hotrods !
I personally hate ratrods but that doesnt mean they arent a hotrods , i like what factory 5 do , just like coddington or foose also the old school builders who were just as innovative for their time just check out the history of americas most beautiful roadster and see the different styles which have won .
Its funny how quick kids learn to drive a car, yet fail to understand a lawnmower.