What did you do for your Mustang today?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: What did you do for your Mustang today?  (Read 656802 times)

Offline bank1957

• Worked
  • Owner of the Oldest D Code Mustang Coupe in Aus
  • Name: Frank
Re: What did you do for your Mustang today?
« Reply #1350 on: October 13, 2014, 01:32:24 pm »
Spent just over 8 hrs polishing up my 50 year 64 1/2 coupe's old hubcaps, spinner top and end caps. I believe that the hubcaps are stainless steel since they came up very well compared to what I started out with. But mind you the car had only done less than 43,000 original miles. Pic on left is what I started out with, and pic on right is after my work which I did whilst watching Bathurst yesterday in the garage and many beers.
Question I have with members, is that: does anyone know the paint colour code of the red used on the cap? As you can see form the photo, the white and blue stood the test of time, however the red paint has almost completely faded. The colour must have been faulty since over time it spread and ran all over the back of the cap.
Also what material was the spinner made from? Looks like chromed brass, and is not appealing due to its age. I tried to polish it with a good chrome cleaner but it got most of the crap off the chrome, but it looks like I may have to have it re-chromed.
Thus another question to members: Name and details of a respectable chrome plater in Brisbane that knows his stuff.

Newly polished hubcap face on the right below:

Newly polished hubcap back on the right below:

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
« Reply #1351 on: October 13, 2014, 04:57:20 pm »
Daydreamed about all the mods I could / want to do. Slowly my car is being built.... In my head..
So many mods, so little time money! :cry:
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #1352 on: October 13, 2014, 11:04:09 pm »
Well took the 66 out for a spin tonight , bloody hell the battery went flat ,has to be either the  reg or the alternator   As its not charging  :sick:  just found a loose wire on the voltage regulator so hope that's the problem . Can't start the car as its quite loud and its to late to be noisy . Yep it was a loose wire going into the voltage regulator   :thud:  all fixed now .
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 07:51:15 pm by GLENN 70 »

Offline 1966stang

• Thoroughbred
  • Name: Greg
« Reply #1353 on: October 17, 2014, 02:39:04 pm »
Had ceramic brake pads fitted to the front, a definite improvement on the original pads but brakes need more work for me to be happy with them so booster rebuild is next.

When I got home started to wash then wax and polish for Parkes Show and Shine tomorrow, got as far as washing the top of the car when my back went on me so looks like show is out  :cry: At least there is next year.
Greg

'66 C code Coupe, Wimbledon White
Was 289 now 302

Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advice.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #1354 on: October 17, 2014, 03:24:11 pm »
1966stang ,go put an ice pack on it  , not heat 20 min on 20 min off .

Offline 1966stang

• Thoroughbred
  • Name: Greg
« Reply #1355 on: October 17, 2014, 03:55:08 pm »
Glenn, not muscular, have disk problems but yes, the ice does help, especially when in the company of whiskey  :grin:  :cheers:
Greg

'66 C code Coupe, Wimbledon White
Was 289 now 302

Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advice.

Offline Red67Coupe

• Thoroughbred
  • Restored
« Reply #1356 on: October 17, 2014, 04:34:18 pm »
Paid the rego $1006.  Ouch  :cry:  That's full rego in Qld.  We don't need annual inspections.  Out of interest what are other states like? 

Offline nickd

• Worked
  • MOCA Vic Member 924
  • Name: Nick
  • Car: 1965 Coupe
« Reply #1357 on: October 17, 2014, 04:42:19 pm »
Gave the 65 a good clean in preparation for the Vic annual  Roundup on Sunday.

Online GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #1358 on: October 17, 2014, 05:24:27 pm »
Paid the rego $1006.  Ouch  :cry:  That's full rego in Qld.  We don't need annual inspections.  Out of interest what are other states like?

In vic full Rego including compulsory third party is currently $757in metro Melbourne, $647 in the bush. Club permit for 90 days use a year is $136 also inc CTP. No regular inspections, just need a Roadworthy Cert from licensed tester to transfer Rego when you buy a (used) car.

Offline Dazza64

• Pony
  • I'm still new here
  • Name: Dave
« Reply #1359 on: October 17, 2014, 05:26:59 pm »
Just got the clock back from being repaired in the States.  Installed it and sat back and watched it tick.

Offline P8TRIOT

• Worked
« Reply #1360 on: October 18, 2014, 07:05:57 pm »
Got in and out of it of what feels like 4000 times. Drive down driveway, open gate, drive through gate, shut gate, daughter's school, son's school, shop, open gate, drive through gate, shut gate, drive up driveway, drive down driveway, open gate, drive through gate, shut gate, court, back to shop, open gate, drive through gate, shut gate, drive up driveway, drive down driveway, open gate, drive through gate, shut gate, daughter's school, post office, back to shop again, son's school, open gate, drive through gate, shut gate, drive up driveway. Maybe not 4000 times, but enough...
Time for an electric gate.. :evilone:

Offline 68Coupe

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Andrew
« Reply #1361 on: October 18, 2014, 08:05:13 pm »
This afternoon took the '68 coupe down to the servo to fill up with fuel ready for Big Al's Mystery Breakfast Run in the morning and decided to take it for a blast up the Wakehurst Parkway to blow the cobwebs out  - however 3 Highway Patrols within 30 minutes and Saturday afternoon drivers out and about kept me in check.  :toetapping: Anyway, all good to go in the morning.  :smile01:

Offline MACH_ONE

• Worked
  • torque to me
« Reply #1362 on: October 19, 2014, 06:33:09 pm »
Washed and vacuumed her yesterday ...quick detailer polish this morning took it the MOCA event dust all over it and grass in side....parked her in the garage and left her lol....but good event folks
My other car is a Mustang ( ok I lied this one cost me enough)

Offline Herman

• Blue Printed
  • A bit of concours nutter, but I'm still learning!!
« Reply #1363 on: October 20, 2014, 01:58:59 pm »
For the first time in a month l've done nothing to either of them
Have now converted the other half into doing some of the Concours washin, cleaning & polishing stuff!!!!!!!!

Offline nickd

• Worked
  • MOCA Vic Member 924
  • Name: Nick
  • Car: 1965 Coupe
« Reply #1364 on: October 20, 2014, 04:44:52 pm »
And a well deserved break Herman. To get a Gold and a Silver at Concours says just how much you have done to them both in the past couple of weeks. Well done to both of you.

Offline Herman

• Blue Printed
  • A bit of concours nutter, but I'm still learning!!
« Reply #1365 on: October 20, 2014, 09:06:53 pm »
And a well deserved break Herman. To get a Gold and a Silver at Concours says just how much you have done to them both in the past couple of weeks. Well done to both of you.
Thanks, we are extremely happy with the results & l'm not allowed touch Rusty anymore!!!!  :evilone:
Have now converted the other half into doing some of the Concours washin, cleaning & polishing stuff!!!!!!!!

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
  • Name: John
« Reply #1366 on: October 21, 2014, 10:51:24 pm »
My new radiator arrived today in record time all the way from Chicago. So I decided to also fit it and check fan spacer clearance. Fits like a glove but need a shorter fan spacer. I have posted in the WTB section all the details.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 10:58:05 pm by birdman »

Offline scollist

• Worked
  • 65FB, 2017 GT
  • Name: Shane
« Reply #1367 on: October 21, 2014, 10:58:34 pm »
Thanks, we are extremely happy with the results & l'm not allowed touch Rusty anymore!!!!  :evilone:

... other than getting Rusty to not stall any more!! Mrs H was pretty adamant about that on Sunday.

I'm happy to share my recently gained skills (if you can call them that) from the rebuild of my Autolite 4100 if you'd like any help.

Cheers
Shane

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #1368 on: October 21, 2014, 11:02:17 pm »
birdman don't buy a fan spacer until you fit a shroud then work it out .  You are going to fit a shroud aren't you .

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
« Reply #1369 on: October 21, 2014, 11:26:02 pm »
Never had a shroud to begin with,so not sure if I'm fitting one at this stage but my original spacer is way too long so I need a shorter one so I can bolt fan back on. Shroud is easy to purchase it's finding an original shorter spacer will be a task I think.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #1370 on: October 21, 2014, 11:31:21 pm »
See how it goes but shrouds work at low speed or in traffic .  You can buy an aftermarket spacer that is multi fit ,then just buy the right length bolts from a bolt shop . Take one in to match up as there are fine thread .
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 11:33:02 pm by GLENN 70 »

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
« Reply #1371 on: October 21, 2014, 11:38:58 pm »
If I don't find an original spacer aftermarket will have to do. Rocket ind have plenty. That original 4 blade fan works very well. I have felt the air come through,I couldn't believe it.
Thanks Glenn

Offline RayAzza

• Worked
  • MOCA NSW
  • Name: RAY
« Reply #1372 on: October 22, 2014, 09:58:30 pm »
Looks great John let us know how it cools when running.
Ray
./__ __ __ __ __\.
( ]]] __ O __ [[[ )
 \_o_ _____ _o_/
   |___|     |___|

Offline mickemck

• Memphis 68
  • Pony
  • MOCA NSW member
« Reply #1373 on: October 23, 2014, 08:10:38 am »
Turned the tyres around to have the white walls on the outside again. Not sure which looks the best.
Take it to the limit one more time

Offline 68Coupe

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
« Reply #1374 on: October 23, 2014, 09:49:57 am »
Turned the tyres around to have the white walls on the outside again. Not sure which looks the best.

I reckon the white walls look great - suit the wheel and the car.  :thumb:

I have the same wheels on my '68 coupe and have just recently put on a set of raised white letter BF Goodrich tyres which I also like. According to the Marti Report it originally came with white wall tyres, so at some stage I would like to go back to them.

Though with the number of miles I do it will be a long time before I need a new set of tyres. :lol:

Cheers, Andrew