What did you do for your Mustang today?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: What did you do for your Mustang today?  (Read 656798 times)

Offline 68Coupe

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Andrew
Re: What did you do for your Mustang today?
« Reply #1325 on: September 22, 2014, 12:44:34 pm »
As it was an option in '68, changed the standard gas cap for a pop-open gas cap. Also replaced the banged up gas tank filler pipe and body gasket plus the  fuel filler hose with a much heavier duty one with 'Autolite' logo and new gas filler neck clamps. This looks to have cleared up the very slight fuel odour in the trunk.

Then finally got the '68 coupe out of the garage and took it for a good run.  :smile01:
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 04:53:36 pm by 68Coupe »

Offline chopmgw

• Worked
« Reply #1326 on: September 22, 2014, 02:26:38 pm »
To take advantage of the glorious spring weather here in Adelaide, I took my brother for a spin to a favourite spot of mine in the Barossa, Mengler Hill.

I can smell oranges !
Michael

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
  • Name: John
« Reply #1327 on: September 22, 2014, 11:41:03 pm »
As it was an option in '68, changed the standard gas cap for a pop-open gas cap. Also replaced the banged up gas tank filler pipe and body gasket plus the  fuel filler hose with a much heavier duty one with 'Autolite' logo and new gas filler neck clamps. This looks to have cleared up the very slight fuel odour in the trunk.

Then finally got the '68 coupe out of the garage and took it for a good run.  :smile01:

Looking nice and clean mate. So when do we get to see your one and only?

Cheers

Offline thruster

• Worked
  • Name: John.
« Reply #1328 on: September 23, 2014, 06:36:53 am »

Cheers

When the skies are blue he will show it to you but if the skies are grey you will have to wait for a sunny day  :rain:   :grin:

Offline mojocoops

• Worked
« Reply #1329 on: September 23, 2014, 07:59:06 am »
Took mine out for an afternoon spin, about 15km, on the way to dropping it off at the new apartment only 2km up the road from the old place :)  Garage is smaller, but hey - it still fits!

Offline 68Coupe

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Andrew
« Reply #1330 on: September 23, 2014, 08:36:54 am »

Cheers

Got a few unexpected things going on at the moment but hopefully should be out and about soon and will catch up at one of the upcoming meets.

Cheers, Andrew

When the skies are blue he will show it to you but if the skies are grey you will have to wait for a sunny day  :rain:   :grin:

:lol:  :grin:  :thumb:

Offline Salthorse

• Worked
  • MOCA (Vic) member - 2709
  • Name: Dave
« Reply #1331 on: September 26, 2014, 01:52:23 pm »
Installed LED tail lights with amber indicators. Big improvement.
Dave

1969 Black Jade Mach 1 with a 351C, 3v closed chamber heads, Comp Cams and lifters, FMX trans with 2500 stall converter, LSD, Edelbrock Performer 600 CFM, Sanderson ceramic shorty extractors and Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust.

2016 Deep Impact Blue GT manual with Roush exhaust.

I love it, I need it
I seed it
Eight cylinders all mine
Alright hold tight
I'm a highway star

Deep Purple, “Highway Star” (1971)

Offline Greg H

• Stallion
  • No idea
  • Name: Greg
« Reply #1332 on: September 27, 2014, 04:18:06 pm »
Fitted new thermostat housing, cleaned radiator and flushed the block on the 66.
Geting ready for the warm weather, preventative maintenance.

Offline Salthorse

• Worked
  • MOCA (Vic) member - 2709
« Reply #1333 on: September 27, 2014, 06:28:11 pm »
Installed new interior sail panels and an engine bay dress up kit. Getting ready for the October Show n Shine.
Dave

1969 Black Jade Mach 1 with a 351C, 3v closed chamber heads, Comp Cams and lifters, FMX trans with 2500 stall converter, LSD, Edelbrock Performer 600 CFM, Sanderson ceramic shorty extractors and Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust.

2016 Deep Impact Blue GT manual with Roush exhaust.

I love it, I need it
I seed it
Eight cylinders all mine
Alright hold tight
I'm a highway star

Deep Purple, “Highway Star” (1971)

Offline peter9231

• Member-Society of Automotive Engineers Australasia
  • Worked
  • Name: Peter
  • Car: 66 convertible
« Reply #1334 on: September 28, 2014, 10:04:22 am »
Fitted new rear springs,
5 leaf reverse eye.
Sits 10mm higher than the sagged originals.
Rides much nicer now just a little firmer, without the sagged spring float.
Great over speed humps.
Peter.
"If you are not prepared to be part of the solution you forfeit your right to criticise"

Offline griff

• Worked
  • 65GT Slowback
  • Name: griff
« Reply #1335 on: October 07, 2014, 10:48:11 am »
take one crappy old 70's sidchrome red tool box, knock up a print and hit it with wattyl super etch matt black. one hour later....tada!!

« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 10:50:31 am by griff »
when a 3 month engine rebuild turns into 3 year bare metal resto.
you get that .....

Offline thruster

• Worked
« Reply #1336 on: October 07, 2014, 07:56:54 pm »
take one crappy old 70's sidchrome red tool box, knock up a print and hit it with wattyl super etch matt black. one hour later....tada!!

You told me you were going to do that at my place the other week and it looks a treat mate  :thumb:

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #1337 on: October 09, 2014, 11:16:14 am »
Today, work started to convert to rear disc brakes and a floor mount hand brake.  :pepper:

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
« Reply #1338 on: October 10, 2014, 09:26:06 pm »
After purchasing a Tefba filter from a fellow member,thanks Moe. Finally got around to fitting it. Getting ready for the summer onslaught.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 09:27:53 pm by birdman »

Offline Dazza64

• Pony
  • I'm still new here
« Reply #1339 on: October 10, 2014, 11:22:36 pm »
I have one of them in my 65 convertable and I am a real fan.  Make sure you keep an eye on the gasket when you unscrew the cap!!
Dave

Offline chopmgw

• Worked
« Reply #1340 on: October 11, 2014, 12:34:46 am »
After purchasing a Tefba filter from a fellow member,thanks Moe. Finally got around to fitting it.
I got one also and u have just reminded me to fit it.
Was it cut and connect or did u have to cut a section of hose out ?
I can smell oranges !
Michael

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
« Reply #1341 on: October 11, 2014, 09:33:39 am »
I got one also and u have just reminded me to fit it.
Was it cut and connect or did u have to cut a section of hose out ?

I purchased a new hose off our Aussie made 289/302 Windsor Falcons. It has a more prominent right angle coming out from the thermo housing. Yes you need to cut a 2inch section out closer to the radiator neck of course. Easy job.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #1342 on: October 11, 2014, 09:40:03 am »
Talking about radiator filters ,just last night a saw one on a 351w and it was see through so you could see when it was full of crap . Looked really good also .

Offline Stang 65

• Stallion
made a mess of it!
« Reply #1343 on: October 12, 2014, 05:32:37 am »
i'm taking it for small to medium run shortly (SA -NSW -VIC .coming back along ocean coast rd in lower vic then following then coast back to SA) so i thought i give it a treat and flush the engine and radiator with some stuff called liquid intelligence. its a two part treatment, hmm, i got no idea how well or bad it has worked(time will tell perhaps), in the first part after treatment procedure it looks like green slime water, then the second part goes in which turns surfaces white by the looks. its somewhat unavoidable that the rad overflows a bit or splatters around the engine bay, but in my case it ran down the rad fins , say 6 inches wide and has left all this white mess over the bay and the radiator, even stripped the paint off the radiator where i tried to use some soapy water to clean it off

i called the vendor and asked his advice on clean up but he didnt have anything definitive at all   to offer, soapy water maybe might work he suggested (we tried that already). he said the second part of treatment has calcium in it among other things so i suggested perhaps vinegar might work to clean up. he thought that was a great idea (i havnt tested it yet, been busy) so i'll give that a go. either way i now have to remove my rad and give it a repaint, not much time to do it but it looks disgusting the way it is.

i finally got around to installing my headlight relay harness (one day i might install complete wiring) , i happen to have a bunch of lights to put in or compare, sealed beam, H4, hid and whats meant to be a good (latest tech) LED set. i forget off the top of my head the max original wattage draw the stock system can take but with old wiring about 35watts is it, jump to 55 and usually the circuit breaker trips and all lights go out (i'd be happy to check my figures and records but from memory thats it. i was going to make my own because 95% of the available ones dont use big enough gauge wire, use cheap relays and or fuses. but i came across this guy in QLD that makes a harness using v/heavy gauge wire, quality relays and water proof/resistant fuse housings- generally his target clients are 4WD folk so he builds them on the extreme side to say the least!

we have lots of space and choices where to fit the relays and fuses, most people seem to opt for the engine bay somewhere which is of course sensible but i went for a strange approach , i took off the front fascia; grill, headlight buckets etc to gain access to the space thats in there behind the rhs passenger light where i fitted the relays, fuses and bulk of harness. from there the rest of the wiring routing is almost invisible ), only the lead to the batt or hot side of solenoid is seen. downside is if the relays or fuses blow it will be a pita to fix. but i'm confident and will take my chances its an extremely rare occurrence.

but man OH man even the old sealed beams are bright now! and the dash lights! fantastic... i used to think how could people actually see the speedo and gauges, they must all have been 21 years old with 20 20 vision, even then its a struggle. i have LED's to replace the incandescent globes, i've had em for yonks but now i am not that bothered when or if i get around to it...cause i can actually see the gauges now..whaHoo
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 05:37:04 am by Stang 65 »

Offline thruster

• Worked
« Reply #1344 on: October 12, 2014, 10:29:42 am »
    Home made Remote electric trunk release and LED lighting in the trunk as well  :thumb:

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
« Reply #1345 on: October 12, 2014, 03:12:01 pm »
After fitting the Tefba filter i added some radiator flush. The results below. I was impressed,

Offline thruster

• Worked
« Reply #1346 on: October 12, 2014, 03:49:06 pm »
After fitting the Tefba filter i added some radiator flush. The results below. I was impressed,

Must be nice to know its not getting caught up in the Rad mate  :thumb:

Offline businesstrader

• Worked
« Reply #1347 on: October 12, 2014, 04:24:01 pm »
Today I replaced the old spark plugs with some brand new NKG - AP5FS. Made a huge difference! The old ones were black as!

Offline griff

• Worked
  • 65GT Slowback
  • Name: griff
« Reply #1348 on: October 12, 2014, 05:12:23 pm »
    Home made Remote electric trunk release and LED lighting in the trunk as well  :thumb:

all no doubt sourced from the among the shelves in your shed thruster...
were any motor bike parts harmed during the operation? :grin:
when a 3 month engine rebuild turns into 3 year bare metal resto.
you get that .....

Offline scollist

• Worked
  • 65FB, 2017 GT
  • Name: Shane
« Reply #1349 on: October 12, 2014, 06:21:28 pm »
New spark plugs - NGK AP5FS, and an oil and filter change.

Also had the Autolite 4100 fully rebuilt last week by Simon - a friend of RED066 - even though he had never rebuilt one before he really knows his carby's.  I'm extremely appreciative of his help, and I learned how to do it myself.

Now running fantastic - lots more power right across the rev range that it has never had before. Lovin it.

Only problem identified when putting the carby back on is that I have a 'lazy' fuel pump. Hardly pumps anything under cranking load (even could have been sucking rather than pumping).  This probably explains why it is hard to start after being left unstarted for a couple of weeks. Suspect that there is some evaporation from the bowls, and the pump can't get the floats back up to a decent level.  So replacing the fuel pump is next.