What did you do for your Mustang today?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: What did you do for your Mustang today?  (Read 656855 times)

Offline anfo99

• Worked
  • MOCA Nova Member
  • Name: Anthony
Re: What did you do for your Mustang today?
« Reply #1025 on: April 10, 2014, 08:36:52 am »
stripped and primered the round-air-into-the-cabin-doofenator and the auto-shift-selector-bezel-doobi-thingy...
Anfo - Starting to enjoy driving her!
"Do what you want to do, be what you wanna be..."
Masters Apprentices
6R07C

Offline Mustangbill

• Pony
  • Name: Bill
« Reply #1026 on: April 11, 2014, 09:40:43 pm »
Had the strips finished

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed
  • Name: David
« Reply #1027 on: April 12, 2014, 06:49:47 am »
 :coolpic:

Looking good Bill
IMG

Offline Mustangbill

• Pony
  • Name: Bill
« Reply #1028 on: April 12, 2014, 11:57:56 am »
 :cheers:  Dave.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #1029 on: April 12, 2014, 01:46:46 pm »
Went to get a wheel alignment and found out my upper ball joints are faulty. Weird as they are only a few months old. A fail for Scott drake on this account.

So I've decided to replace them with some Teflon based ones on both upper and lower control arms.
Then I'll get my alignment done.

Were they really worn? or did the wheel alignment guy just want to change them as they always did back in the 70's-80's on Falcons etc because they didn't understand how they work. Plenty of good joints have been chucked in the bin in the last 45 odd years. Always only use black moly grease them not yellow lithium grease in ball joints.  Lithium type greases are for things that roll, black moly type greases are for things that slide, ie ball joints and the inner pivots on the top arm. never mix them, Moly grease in  bearings will kill them as the rollers will skid not roller.

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed
« Reply #1030 on: April 12, 2014, 06:42:30 pm »
Went to the 50th Anniversary celebrations in Sydney. - first time the Stang has been wet (other than when being washed - which she was when we got back home!)

IMG

Offline stormin

• Blue Printed
« Reply #1031 on: April 12, 2014, 08:37:15 pm »
 I took the bride for a ride in the Seducer down the freeway to the Mustang's 50th birthday bash in Sydney. Great time was had by all
Stormin

Offline thruster

• Worked
  • Name: John.
« Reply #1032 on: April 13, 2014, 09:23:50 am »
stopped for coffee on the way home from the 50th only to return to my car in the rain to find a split fuel line, I hate working in the rain!  :cry:  all sorted and enjoyed a trouble free cruise home after a great day  :thumb:

Offline thruster

• Worked
  • Name: John.
« Reply #1033 on: April 13, 2014, 09:28:04 am »
Were they really worn? or did the wheel alignment guy just want to change them as they always did back in the 70's-80's on Falcons etc because they didn't understand how they work. Plenty of good joints have been chucked in the bin in the last 45 odd years. Always only use black moly grease them not yellow lithium grease in ball joints.  Lithium type greases are for things that roll, black moly type greases are for things that slide, ie ball joints and the inner pivots on the top arm. never mix them, Moly grease in  bearings will kill them as the rollers will skid not roller.

Shaun, you are a head full of knowledge, thanks for that info, now it will be down loaded and stored in this empty cavity I have sitting on my shoulders  :thumb:

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
  • Name: John
« Reply #1034 on: April 13, 2014, 02:18:45 pm »
Finally adjusted my remote boot release. Ended up being a loose bracket.

John

Offline Red67Coupe

• Thoroughbred
  • Restored
« Reply #1035 on: April 13, 2014, 09:46:03 pm »
Made sure she was tucked in snug under the cover since it's been raining all day.  Ever so thankful I took the old Toyota run-around instead after this absolute tool backed into the front of my car at the servo.  He decided to back away from the bowser in his ute.  :wtf:  Not much damage to my car but the conversation and language would have taken a whole different track if I'd been in the Mustang.  :argue:

Offline griff

• Worked
  • 65GT Slowback
  • Name: griff
« Reply #1036 on: April 13, 2014, 10:16:33 pm »
late post...
well not today but throughout friday night til 1am...  had to have it running sat morn for the 50th anniversary run in sydney!!!
brake booster crapped itself earlier in the week and locked the brakes on as a result, so got the one id previously replaced down from the shelf and bought a XB master to save space.  had new m/c brake lines made up and called in Birdman to help with the bleeding process, was more like a bleedin' process i tell you.
couldnt screw one of the lines into the master no matter how much we tried, turned out they gave me one odd fitting that was 0.5mm too large dia. so off to a mates place at 930pm to rethread it down.
got it bled yada yada yada the bloody brake lights worked intermittently and then not at all. this took ages to figure out why the switch wouldnt work in position but would when removed it to test.
NOTE: turns out that on repro switches the metal plate that actuates the spring/switch is thinner than the OEM and therefore bends down on the edges so it swiveled  on its axis rather than compressing to operate the switch. the fix is to bend the plate straight and then hopefully find the original that you didnt throw out and hit it with electronic parts cleaner.
very big thanks to Birdman john for late night patience and adding to my turrets syndrome. youre a good man. :cheers:

when a 3 month engine rebuild turns into 3 year bare metal resto.
you get that .....

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
  • Name: John
« Reply #1037 on: April 13, 2014, 11:10:17 pm »
late post...
well not today but throughout friday night til 1am...  had to have it running sat morn for the 50th anniversary run in sydney!!!
brake booster crapped itself earlier in the week and locked the brakes on as a result, so got the one id previously replaced down from the shelf and bought a XB master to save space.  had new m/c brake lines made up and called in Birdman to help with the bleeding process, was more like a bleedin' process i tell you.
couldnt screw one of the lines into the master no matter how much we tried, turned out they gave me one odd fitting that was 0.5mm too large dia. so off to a mates place at 930pm to rethread it down.
got it bled yada yada yada the bloody brake lights worked intermittently and then not at all. this took ages to figure out why the switch wouldnt work in position but would when removed it to test.
NOTE: turns out that on repro switches the metal plate that actuates the spring/switch is thinner than the OEM and therefore bends down on the edges so it swiveled  on its axis rather than compressing to operate the switch. the fix is to bend the plate straight and then hopefully find the original that you didnt throw out and hit it with electronic parts cleaner.
very big thanks to Birdman john for late night patience and adding to my turrets syndrome. youre a good man. :cheers:

I'm glad I could help out. That's what mates are for. If it wasn't for your other mate with the tap and die set? You would have been my co-pilot the next day. Lol

John

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
« Reply #1038 on: April 13, 2014, 11:10:37 pm »
He decided to back away from the bowser in his ute.  :wtf:  Not much damage to my car but the conversation and language would have taken a whole different track if I'd been in the Mustang.  :argue:

So far I haven't had anyone stupid enough to actually hit me, but if I had a dollar for every close call I had when I was in the Mustang I'd probably have 3 or 4 and they'd each have their on shed to live in! :leaving:
I can't even count the number times I have had people drift out in front of me anymore, or the number of blank stares I've received from drivers on the freeway who insist on sitting side-by-side with me as I am trying to merge.. Thankfully, there's an easy solution to that one!

It made me feel sick when one woman actually drifted from a dead stop in a turning lane onto a 70km/hr multi-lane road, barely 30 meters in front of me, after I locked the brakes momentarily, I had to swerve all the way into the second lane to avoid hitting that stupid little toy car she was pretending to drive...

Sadly it's not really much different when I'm in the Hilux either, and that is a BIG car compared to most others on the road!
... Where did these people learn to drive??? :bolt:

Anyway, back on topic;
Preparations for next Sunday's display at Geelong are starting, the car polish is coming out of the cupboard and the micro-fibre is ready and waiting!
At this stage I'm planning on driving down in the morning on Sunday for the display, will figure out what time later on...
Happy to meet up with other members from around Bendigo somewhere along the way, so we can travel in convoy to the university carpark..
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed
« Reply #1039 on: April 15, 2014, 08:46:16 am »
Polished the wheels and all chrome work. Next is a good waxing.
IMG

Offline Ron Mexico

• no traction
  • Worked
« Reply #1040 on: April 15, 2014, 06:10:01 pm »

They were totally screwed mate. I was surprised. Replaced both upper and lowers.
I've got Teflon based ones now that aren't servicable (and no grease port)

The car feels totally right now and isn't all over the place on the road.

While I was at it we replaced all the bushings too for good measure.

1965 Mustang Factory GT Coupe

Offline anfo99

• Worked
  • MOCA Nova Member
« Reply #1041 on: April 15, 2014, 06:30:54 pm »
found, cleaned stripped primed and painted some seat hardware.
Masters Apprentices
6R07C

Offline 66 Stang

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Keith
« Reply #1042 on: April 15, 2014, 06:32:28 pm »
Polished the wheels and all chrome work. Next is a good waxing.

Ive heard that hurts Dave, do you really wanna do that?

Cheers
Keith

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed
« Reply #1043 on: April 15, 2014, 07:34:32 pm »
Yeah, not sure if I'll go Brazilian or back, crack and sack!

Wax on, wax off! :leaving:
IMG

Offline stormin

• Blue Printed
« Reply #1044 on: April 15, 2014, 07:45:33 pm »
Took the Cobra for a run down the freeway to the Royal Easter Show for the Champions Parade. Was an excellent day and the weather held off for us. The Sydney traffic was horrendous along Ryde Rd all the way from the Pacific Hwy to Ryde itself . Glad I don't have to face that every day
Stormin

Offline anfo99

• Worked
  • MOCA Nova Member
« Reply #1045 on: April 16, 2014, 04:37:15 pm »
cleaned up some more seat hardware, cleaned up a heap of screws, NUTS,  bolts and washers that were rusty. Cleaned two brackets and primed them can't remember where they came from so didn't top coat them. cleaned,  primed and painted the oil DIPSTICK tubes...

I now await the double entendres...
Masters Apprentices
6R07C

Offline Herman

• Blue Printed
  • A bit of concours nutter, but I'm still learning!!
« Reply #1046 on: April 16, 2014, 05:25:38 pm »
Completed the final detailing items on the Green Machine for judging in original concours class at this weekend Nationals, just one more before we travel to Geelong for the weekend without the little mustanger's  :evilone:
Have now converted the other half into doing some of the Concours washin, cleaning & polishing stuff!!!!!!!!

Offline 1969 mustang

• The Nick is what I want..
  • Stallion
  • MOCA - Victoria Member
« Reply #1047 on: April 16, 2014, 08:47:25 pm »
Put some 4 leaf springs from a fastback into he coupe....it looked like it was raised a bit to high at the rear so I fitted 50mm lowering blocks...now she has a pretty awesome stance

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
« Reply #1048 on: April 17, 2014, 05:22:01 pm »
Went out for a little test drive, to make sure all is good before Sunday's drive to Geelong.
Also got some more car polish and a few litres of "emergency-top-up oil"..
... The motor likes to burn a bit of oil as well as petrol, for a bit more power! :lmao:
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline stormin

• Blue Printed
« Reply #1049 on: April 17, 2014, 06:49:53 pm »
After both cars have been out in the wet since the birthday celebrations this week it was time to clean and wash . Nice and sparkling again. Then whilst I was running hot got the cooks 4wd out and gave it the same treatment. Maybe some brownie points?
Stormin