66 gt inspection

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 66 gt inspection  (Read 7609 times)

Offline 2+266

• Worked
66 gt inspection
« on: June 18, 2007, 08:34:13 am »
ok its time for all your stories on getting your cars through the pits at the RTA inspection station(hopefully they dont read this forum).In sa we have to have our cars gone through by an inspector at the motor reg unlike other states(i believe)where you can go to an authorized service station for the relevant checks (correct me if i'm wrong) Is there anything that really stands out that they knocked you back on or was it a multiple of things?would be interested to find out and maybe get the heads up, cheers.

Offline rene.pilat

• Pony
66 gt inspection
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 08:47:50 am »
Hi there.

Things I was told about were the following, but I have a 65 (I wouldn't think there'd be too much difference):

1. Buy new headlights and get them adjusted to how a RHD car is.

2. In my case I had front seatbelts, I was told to remove them as a 65 car doesn't need seatbelts. If I left them in, they would have to comply to Australian standards. Apparently in SA, no seatbelts is safer than American seatbelts, go figure!!

3. Make sure there is no oil leaks of any sort.

4. They will check all the cables to the brakes for cracking and wear. It's easier to replace them all. I did the rear brake calipers too. I wanted to be sure the car stopped.

5. Make sure all electrics work, especially demisters, wipers and wiper spray, blinkers etc.

6. If you're car doesn't have the block stamped, use the engine casting date as the engine number. Let me know if you don't know where that's located.

7. Almost forgot, the car had to have a side mirror on each side of the car, not just the drivers side.

Note that my car is  LHD.

That's all the info I have on what I was told.

Good luck.

Regards,

René

Offline 2+266

• Worked
66 gt inspection
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 08:53:07 am »
thanks rene,some good points to remember and it is good to hear your experience with the dredded inspectors particularly in sa.

Offline shelbyclone

• Pony
66 gt inspection
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 08:41:53 am »
well queensland is another story,my 67 has belts but have just found out that i must fit retractable belts,change headlights,red blinkers on the rear are allowable and get this......the car must be fitted with a baby capsule anchor on the parcel shelf!!!Once that is all done then its time for an engineer to sign off on the car and issue an lo2 plate,then roadworthy time then finally i can register my baby

Offline Forder

• Worked
66 gt inspection
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 08:52:11 am »
Im in NSW and I had to do all that RENE had to.  The only other thing is that I had to convert the rear blinkers to orange.  Mine was a 65 and I didn't have to put seat bealts in as it was not required back then.  I was told if I fitted seat belts prior to inspection I would also need an Engineers report and I beleive it to be around $300.  So I was adivised to fit them after rego.  
I found it easier than getting a pink slip.  Also prior to inspection go and see the person and ask them what they will want from you My guy was very help full.

HAVE FUN

Offline 2+266

• Worked
66 gt inspection
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 01:31:54 pm »
thankyou for the feedback,sounds like just basic stuff,everything in the stang is either new or rebuilt so hopefully all will be good.Interesting how different states vary,sooner or later they will get there act together and make all reg legislations the same,will keep you posted on the result .thanks again

Offline ppmurf

• Stallion
66 gt inspection
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 03:40:09 pm »
I'm in melbourne - thought it would be a hassle drove my 65 to a car wash cleaned the car and engine bay - drove it to the vic roads - the guy looked out the window said wow opened the bonet took the number - didnt even look underneath or inside (no belts) walked inside and bam she was on the road in 15 mins - i was worried but nothing was an issue! ppmurf

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
66 gt inspection
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 04:07:45 pm »
PPMurf...Done well, even just to find one that spoke English was a bonus as well..

Offline ppmurf

• Stallion
66 gt inspection
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 10:30:37 pm »
Mac1 - that cracks me up - i went to the bogan capital of victoria - took a risk in doing it but when i saw the trash these drugged dole bludging bogans were trying trying to push for rego it was a breeze! ppmurf

Offline pala

• Worked
66 gt inspection
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 11:01:58 pm »
hi pala here my mechanic took my 66 gt over the pits for me here in Perth, no oil leeks and got the wow wee from the guys and no hassles, before had to have a big sticker with caution left hand drive

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
66 gt inspection
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 11:30:20 pm »
Apart from the usual roadworthy stuff, all I changed was the headlights. Vic Roads checked the VIN & took the date stamp as the engine number. The car was registered with all original tail lights, parkers & no seat belts. It was quite a quick & painless experience.

Evan.

Offline 2+266

• Worked
66 gt inspection
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 08:20:18 am »
what headlights did you go for,sealed beam?

Offline Mustang-kid

• Stallion
66 gt inspection
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 12:28:28 pm »
:w  Hi The only thing i can say is don't use your VIN number as your engine number, you may get yourself in to trouble :*.

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
66 gt inspection
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 01:47:47 pm »
ppmurf..I bet i can guess which Vicroads that was as well..  I'd be very cautious of putting date stamps down as engine numbers as there were many made with the same date stamps.

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
66 gt inspection
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 06:48:29 pm »
Originally posted by Mustang-kid
:w  Hi The only thing i can say is don't use your VIN number as your engine number, you may get yourself in to trouble :*.

What's the problem with using the VIN as an engine number?
nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
66 gt inspection
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 06:58:10 pm »
Originally posted by 2+266
what headlights did you go for,sealed beam?

Yep, Bosch sealed beams, $12 each & work a treat now that I've wired them up with relays.

Evan.

Offline 2+266

• Worked
66 gt inspection
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2007, 12:44:50 pm »
did you go for higher wattage?hence why you had to install relays!

Offline ppmurf

• Stallion
66 gt inspection
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2007, 05:09:46 pm »
Mac - they took the vin and the engine stamp numbers as it came through a highly recomended seller - had all the papers all legit - just had no issues at all! which i was amazed at! ppmurf

Whats your guess in regards to the Vic Roads - ppmurf

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
66 gt inspection
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2007, 06:14:19 pm »
Originally posted by 2+266
did you go for higher wattage?hence why you had to install relays!

Standard headlights.
If you haven't installed relays yet, you'll have a large voltage drop across the old wires and you risk burning your light switch contacts. Don't be surprised if your lights are running on 9 volts!
It's a cheap & simple upgrade that makes a huge difference.

Evan.