Underside paint for a 66 Coupe?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Underside paint for a 66 Coupe?  (Read 4608 times)

Offline 66glo

• Stallion
« on: June 22, 2007, 10:24:58 am »
Hi guys,

She is up on the rotissirie and I need to get a few things from the paint shop.  What color are they under the body?  By the looks of mine (pretty original) I cannot see any of the body color (emberglo) or black.  Looks just like a metal grey primer or even just steel.  I am sticking as close as possible to originality but I dont think I will leave any bare spots.  I will have to check the tag but I think this is a San Jose manufactured car.

If it is to be the body color underneath what was under the guards.? Did they uses crimple type black?  Most nice restos I have seen uses a semi gloss or flat black in the engine bay.

I am using Glazurite system for the car but what should I use on the under side and running gear (diff etc) should it be 2pac if I am using a 2P epoxy primer?

Many questions here hope someone can help.

Thanks
Clinton

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 11:13:29 am »
My 67 San jose coupe is red oxide on the underside with some lime gold and black over spray where landed from new. It also appears that the sills were sprayed black on the lower face to cover the pinch weld, this extends onto the floor pans about 100mm.  Front inner gards are black rear are body colour, inner faces of the front gards is red oxide. Front inners have some deadener in places rears are fully cover under the body colour,
  I intend to use 2k on the underside but I will add some matting agent to knock the gloss off it a bit, I will do the same for the engine bay. I don't think I'll do the over spray, but if I did I'd then clear the underside to seal the base and as above use some matting agent.

Offline Mustang-kid

• Stallion
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 03:36:23 pm »
:f Hi, Most San Jose cars had red oxide as the under carriage color. Dearborn cars had black as the color of the under body. It does change from time to time. As for under the guards, they used body deadener/ in most areas under the guards to seal off all holes, thats why it  looks black. As for engine bay black, I have used GM black, its a great look semi gloss black. Check out my website theres a engine bay pic there. Hope this helps.  :(

Offline jas24zzk

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 11:30:59 pm »
The best black for engine bay colour is.

Protec 504 Semi Gloss, acrylic eurethane.

It has JUST the right amount of shine.

GMH black is porus  (heck can't spell but you the idea.)

Cheers
Jas

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 02:14:26 am »
Originally posted by jas24zzk
The best black for engine bay colour is.

Protec 504 Semi Gloss, acrylic eurethane.

It has JUST the right amount of shine.

GMH black is porus  (heck can't spell but you the idea.)

Cheers
Jas

Jas, I'm glad this thread popped up because I wanted to ask you a few q's, if you don't mind of course.

Previously you recommended Protec 604 #604-7021 for the bay (see, I do pay attention). Is the 504 a better product or is it a typo? Is it a 2pak or acrylic? I'm spraying at home so acrylic suits me.
If I don't go bare metal on the engine bay, can I spray the Protec paint over the original black paint once it's rubbed down, or is priming essential?
I'm cutting off the old brace to fit a new export brace. Is there any harm in jacking the car with no brace during prep & paint?

TIA.

Evan.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 09:31:19 am »
I was down geting a 60 of GP the other day and I noticed that Andrew had some stuff from  P.O.R, on the shelf it think it was called "satin subframe black", the tin said it was to match US engine bays, subframes and suspension components.
So if you not keen on 2k maybe give that a try. Septone also make a Subframe black acrylic, which is kind of a satin, I think it would be ok. Make sure you don't get Septone chassis black it's like brown tar.

The GMH black you buy is watery crap, useless execpt for guide coat, and GMH black shouldn't be black anyway from the factory they used really dark grey.