campbellfield

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: campbellfield  (Read 13353 times)

Offline T-CODE KID

• Worked
  • Name: https://www.
campbellfield
« on: October 01, 2011, 03:02:13 am »
campbellfield
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 01:17:09 am by T-CODE KID »

Offline rocket

• Please visit our new Website
  • Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars

Hi T-Code, Sounds like he does not want to give you a copy because it has the other cars listed as well. Have seen Import Approval documents with multiple cars listed.

Catch22 for you because you will need the Import approval document for registration.

Short of going to see them armed with a baseball bat you probably need to contact Dotars for advice.:bats:

We had a situation a couple of years back where the original importer of a car had died and the person we bought the car from had no copy of the import approval. Contacted Dotars and they supplied a copy of the original import approval.

Moral of the story here for intending importers is to always obtain your own import approval from Dotars. The application forms can be downloaded from the Dotars website. They are very easy to fill out and then send by Express post.

What car did he import?

Rocket.
Check out our new Website

http://www.imageclassiccars.com.au/

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
I bought a car, and was given the wrong import approval. I rang Dotars, and they basicly said, if it's in the country, it's approved. They will be able to sort you out when it comes to rego time.
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline Envy 68

• Worked
G'day T-CODE KID, great to see another Mustang owner in the western side of town :thumb:
SALUTE!!  To those who have given their lives doing their job.

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
Doubt it would get cleared through Customs here without a DOTARS import licence.

If the importer doesn't want to show other cars on his import licence, get him to black texta out all the others. (that's what my importer did).

Only your son's car needs to appear on the DOTARS import licence for VicRoads

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
As suggested, it sounds like the importer doesn't want to share the VIN's of all the cars he's just shipped. You've probably got nothing to worry about but you should keep hounding him for a copy. I had mine shipped by MOM & Steve supplied a copy listing all the cars he'd shipped at the time. This was fine by Vic Roads. There's very little info on the paperwork so I can't understand what his problem would be. Just keep pushing!

Evan.

Offline Moz

• Blue Printed
if it were me
I would go and pay him a personal visit, no more phone calls, by the time I'm finished with him he will be glad to hand it over.
Or, we should all get together and all go down there and I bet he hands it over in 2 minutes.:bats:

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
I don't really think it is cause for a public lynching, but all you need is a photocopy, which can be got from Dotars anyway.

Custom Mustangs
For Email CLICK HERE
Signature Sponsor

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
As BLKPNY says, no big deal.  Just ring DOTORS and get a copy sent out.  The import authority and approval has already been done.  

Offline tim_morrison82

• Blue Printed
    • http://s806.photobucket.com/home/tim_morrison82/allalbums
Dotars were great to deal with when I asked for a copy of the ownership documents used for my import approval. That was 3 years after the car arrived

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
Quote from: T-CODE KID link=topic=15899.msg159094#msg159094
campbellfield,melbourne IMPORTER GRIEF!!!

we have  already paid the $50 a couple month ago to the importer ,so please dont suggest that we ring Canberra & pay them another 50 for what is rightfully ours ................

I suspect that it's not actually yours, if someone else made the application and your name isn't on it anywhere, it's their import approval, even though it's for your vehicle. Hence it's better to put the application in your name but appoint someone to act as your agent (there is provision for it on the application). I hope it works out for you, if they don't do the right thing then name and shame!
Rick

Offline Brett_T

• Worked
Dotars wont release a copy if it isnt in your name... Privacy act...

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
Quote from: Brett_T link=topic=15899.msg159128#msg159128
Dotars wont release a copy if it isnt in your name... Privacy act...

But they will give you the necessary paperwork for registration.
Custom Mustangs
For Email CLICK HERE
Signature Sponsor

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
I would ask for a copy with all the other Vins blacked out. That should suffice

If he wont do that, contact FORS and ask what can be done. If it means that you have to apply again in your name then do it. FORS will contact your importer to ask if he will release the car from his name on the other import approval...hopefully he is nice enough to do that other wise thats not a good thing.

once you have it, the import approval, you ask him for your $50 back. Sounds fair to me

I cant see why he wouldnt give you a copy...no matter how many cars are on it....I allways throw a few extra cars on my application even if I have no intention of importing them...just handy if you do.

Matt

Offline 67fasty.sm

• Worked
  • Name: shane
If you have the car thats the main thing , and as the other guys have said just get onto dotars explain the situation I am sure the will help and hey if 50 bucks is going to be your only heartache then you've will come out of it pretty good , would be different if you paid the all the coin to import and he didn't have your car or stuff like that.
cheers
Shane
Its funny how quick kids learn to drive a car, yet fail to understand a lawnmower.

Offline 68pony

• Worked
I know for a fact that if the import approval is in the importers name you can not register it in your name, you will need a letter from the importer stating he is tranfering the ownership of the car to you and you will need the import approval document with that letter, i imported a 55 oldsmobile in my name but wanted it registered in my wifes name and they would not let me cause my name was on the import approval, so i wrote a quick letter there at the rta transfering ownership to my wife and handed that with the import approval which they then keep once registered.

Offline Dad

• Worked
Quote from: Shermatt link=topic=15899.msg159159#msg159159
....I allways throw a few extra cars on my application even if I have no intention of importing them...just handy if you do.

Matt

I can vouch for that. There was another car on the import approval Matt got for my car.

Offline Dad

• Worked
Quote from: 68pony link=topic=15899.msg159352#msg159352
I know for a fact that if the import approval is in the importers name you can not register it in your name, you will need a letter from the importer stating he is tranfering the ownership of the car to you and you will need the import approval document with that letter, i imported a 55 oldsmobile in my name but wanted it registered in my wifes name and they would not let me cause my name was on the import approval, so i wrote a quick letter there at the rta transfering ownership to my wife and handed that with the import approval which they then keep once registered.

That might be a NSW thing as my import approval had Matt's name on it and I got Victorian rego last week without an issue.

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
Quote from: Dad link=topic=15899.msg159354#msg159354

That might be a NSW thing as my import approval had Matt's name on it and I got Victorian rego last week without an issue.

Yeah, it shouldnt matter who's name is on it or how many cars. I applied for a friends car on the 14th and another on the 19th with 4 cars. I added that 71 Mach1 J code that was on Florida Finds and a few other cars (even though there not coming to Oz) and "ALL" the cars from both applications came back on the one approval (2 applications / one import approval)

As long as your car is in the country, thats a good thing

The paper work (even being a pain to get sorted) can be done.

Matt

Andy, so shes on the road?

Offline pony13

• Stallion
I think customs may keep the original copy of the title but you may apply for it somehow.
Just cant remember to be honest.
My import also arrived recently and after reading this thread rang my importer and he e-mailed a copy of import approval
straight away.It also had the make model and vin/chassis no ofd 11 other vehicles,or means jack shizen to me though.

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
The Administrator of Vehicle Standards:
Vehicle Safety Standards
GPO Box 594
Canberra ACT 2601   Phone:    1800 815 272 if calling within Australia
Phone:   61 26274 7444 outside Australia
Fax:   (02) 6274 6013
Email:   vimports@infrastructure.gov.au

Internet:   www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_vehicles/index.aspx

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
Quote from: T-CODE KID link=topic=15899.msg160144#msg160144

wow thats scary stuff...........i mean how the "great law" works ,,me son pays for the car & import costs also ,,then the importer who does "boner-fide-paperwork" just so happens to bring in customers cars under his own name & he literally owns them,,,,,sounds like nice little scamm goings on there,,,, i may have to "name& shame "  himp soon as no response,,,

Sorry to disagree but it's simply not true that whomever has the import approval issued to them has ownership of the car. The same as registration papers do not prove ownership. The simple fact is, the import approval was granted to that person to import that vehicle, nothing more and nothing less, it does nothing as far as ownership goes, but it's understandable that licensing authorities need that aspect covered as in 68pony's case.

If you want the approval and the agents isn't giving it to you then you'll need to speak with the department that issued the approval and see if they'll give you a copy. I'm sure they'll want you to prove that you bought that vehicle to show that you have some entitlement to the import approval. You must have supplied proof of purchase as part of the VIA application so you should be OK there. Do you have any emails or documents from the agent discussing the application before he made it on your behalf? That will help.

Also, the U.S. title is not held by Customs, they have no interest in it. It belongs to you.

I just can't believe this guy isn't handing over the VIA, it's weird. Not a good situation. Good luck.
Rick

Offline 68pony

• Worked
Quote from: ponyride link=topic=15899.msg160172#msg160172
Quote from: T-CODE KID link=topic=15899.msg160144#msg160144

wow thats scary stuff...........i mean how the "great law" works ,,me son pays for the car & import costs also ,,then the importer who does "boner-fide-paperwork" just so happens to bring in customers cars under his own name & he literally owns them,,,,,sounds like nice little scamm goings on there,,,, i may have to "name& shame "  himp soon as no response,,,

Sorry to disagree but it's simply not true that whomever has the import approval issued to them has ownership of the car. The same as registration papers do not prove ownership. The simple fact is, the import approval was granted to that person to import that vehicle, nothing more and nothing less, it does nothing as far as ownership goes, but it's understandable that licensing authorities need that aspect covered as in 68pony's case.

If you want the approval and the agents isn't giving it to you then you'll need to speak with the department that issued the approval and see if they'll give you a copy. I'm sure they'll want you to prove that you bought that vehicle to show that you have some entitlement to the import approval. You must have supplied proof of purchase as part of the VIA application so you should be OK there. Do you have any emails or documents from the agent discussing the application before he made it on your behalf? That will help.

Also, the U.S. title is not held by Customs, they have no interest in it. It belongs to you.

I just can't believe this guy isn't handing over the VIA, it's weird. Not a good situation. Good luck.

I didn't want to alarm anyone i was just stating exactly what happened to me when i went to register the 55 olds in my wifes name , they would not do it because the approval was in my name, mind you it might have had something to do with the fact i had purchased the car aswell and not my wife , simple fix just wrote a letter on the spot transfering ownership to my wife, also i have the  title for our 55 the customs broker i used to bring the 55 in had it and sent it to me.

Offline lastfairlane

• Pony
Not quite the same but along the same lines
Im in Brisbane and I bought a 72 Mustang from a guy in Melbourne
I flew down checked out the car paid for it and organised freight
I asked for the import papers and was told his brother has them
and he will post them to me
well a month went by and nothing so I tried to ring
"switched off or out of range"every time i tried
once he answered and I got the same story
the brothers got them now its been six months
and the car is sitting in my back yard depreciating
last week he answers the phone oh yeah my brothers gone back to the US and he will post them
I dont know where to turn
what if the car is not here legit does it get taken by the govt
sorry about the long letter John

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
If it wasn't approved, it wouldn't have been allowed into the country so that's OK but you're in pretty much the same predicament as T Code. What gives with these people? I must be missing something here I just can't understand what they benefit from not handing over the import approval.

Same as above, I think you need to get on to the issuing department and ask about getting a copy. If you have purchase papers with the VIN etc that might help you, I don't know but you can only ask. If the car was registered in Vic you shouldn't need the import papers. I don't suppose you have emails or receipts saying clearly that the import approval is part of the deal? If so I would tell him he hasn't fulfilled his side of the contract and you'll be proceeding against him through the courts for breach of contract. It may shake him into action or it may not.

Good luck!
Rick