Restomods in Aust

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Restomods in Aust  (Read 19693 times)

Offline Gone65

• Worked
  • V8s the music of life
  • Car: 65 FB,Gt 500 Shelby
Restomods in Aust
« on: September 08, 2011, 08:57:47 am »

When is a Mustang a Restomod?? I consider my 1965 Fastback / Shelby clone a restomod . The question I have is after you have changed the wheels or engine from factory specs is your car a restomod?:feedback:

Offline Xrayman

• Worked
  • Fatigued - sick of overtime
Restomods in Aust
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 09:07:42 am »
Depends on who you ask....

9 years ago when I first got my mustang, some members of MOCQ (don't know if they are still members cause I"m not) considered mine a restomod simply because I changed from factory drum brakes to disc brakes :banghead:

My personal definition is it's only a restomod if there are visible exterior differences to the how they looked coming out of the factory - although that gets blurred when it comes to tyres - having just had to search high and low to find some 14" tyres, I can understand why people are getting bigger rims :cry:

my two cents worth
Aaron

what is essential is invisible to the eye

Offline Moz

• Blue Printed
Restomods in Aust
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 09:08:42 am »
I'm thinking more along the lines of
if you changed say for example
New motor with EFI
Digital Dash
Updated the seats to the new look high backs
T5 Gearbox
New style alloy Mags
Then that's what I would consider to be a Restomod:cool:

Offline Moz

• Blue Printed
Restomods in Aust
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 09:12:06 am »
Quote from: Xrayman link=topic=15646.msg156879#msg156879
Depends on who you ask....

9 years ago when I first got my mustang, some members of MOCQ (don't know if they are still members cause I"m not) considered mine a restomod simply because I changed from factory drum brakes to disc brakes :banghead:

My personal definition is it's only a restomod if there are visible exterior differences to the how they looked coming out of the factory - although that gets blurred when it comes to tyres - having just had to search high and low to find some 14" tyres, I can understand why people are getting bigger rims :cry:

my two cents worth

I hear where you're coming from mate
but if that were true then you would have to be asking
How many Mustangs came out with twin exhaust from the factory,  not many
so every Mustang that has had twin exhaust fitted would be a RESTOMOD    :bats:

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
Restomods in Aust
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 09:35:45 am »
From what I've seen on TV, auctions, etc. the interpretation is if you've upgraded/modified the car to modern standards i.e. changing the drums to discs, electric fans, 5 speed gearbox,  suspension upgrade, chunky diff,  EFI, etc.

Not sure about extractors/dual exhausts as they're an easy item to return back to original compared to converting your disc brakes back to drums.

s

Offline Gone65

• Worked
  • V8s the music of life
Restomods in Aust
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 10:25:26 am »

Originally I was thinking that this type of car was a restomod. But now the original parts cars are getting few and far between. As cars get older parts get replaced. And the question of factory stock gets blurred.

Offline gt350 coupe clone

• Worked
Restomods in Aust
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 10:27:57 am »
a purist may say that any mod makes it a resto mod
I feel that we are improving things when we go to disc brakes which was an option back then anyway!

I am building something similar to yours a coupe version of a gt350r

I have had mixed feedback some telling me it is rubbush because it is not a fastback !

I believe that a resto mod includes things like EFI digital gauges and radical changes not what you have
Can't wait to get it finished and enjoy it ! They need to have overhaulin here in Aus!!

Offline johnny_b

• Worked
Restomods in Aust
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 12:24:09 pm »
Quote from: gt350 coupe clone link=topic=15646.msg156892#msg156892

I have had mixed feedback some telling me it is rubbush because it is not a fastback !

Now that is f *=* ing  low  :soap: . Props to you for owning a Mustang and investing time and money into something you'll be proud of. I just hope that the so called experts who made that ridiculous comment aren't members of this forum or Mustang enthusiasts.
Real AUSSIES use a Knife and Fork.

• Worked
Restomods in Aust
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 01:15:33 pm »
No they don't seem to be members but just other people into cars and different makes I understand that it is not an original but nor am I claiming it to be

It is what it is but also a tribute to the mustang that I like the most I don't care that they dont like it cause I am the one driving it ! Also note that me being 25 and building it in my own garage at my own place sometimes has alot to do with it !  
Can't wait to get it finished and enjoy it ! They need to have overhaulin here in Aus!!

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
Restomods in Aust
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 01:46:25 pm »
Quote from: gt350 coupe clone link=topic=15646.msg156904#msg156904

It is what it is but also a tribute to the mustang that I like the most I don't care that they dont like it cause I am the one driving it !

I guess it's in the vein of those who painted Ford XC Cobra stripes on to their white panel vans, utes, etc.

Not everyone's cup of tea but those driving it would prefer their car look more like a Ford Cobra than stock panel van, ute, etc.

s

Offline Envy 68

• Worked
Restomods in Aust
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 02:11:45 pm »
I know my car a Restomod, because it looks like one thing (a GT) but the Marti report says otherwise.  :therethere: and I don't care...I like what I bought and I like it even more now that I drive it!!:smile02:

I guess it could be asked...what makes a Mustang?  the body shape or the originality (besides safety changes) of the complete vehicle?  in the end does it really matter? :shrug:
SALUTE!!  To those who have given their lives doing their job.

Offline tim_morrison82

• Blue Printed
    • http://s806.photobucket.com/home/tim_morrison82/allalbums
Restomods in Aust
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 02:15:05 pm »
If someone can help with a link to the thread, there is a red and black eleanor/cal special coupe clone that looks bloody fantastic on here somewhere. its a US members car, but i just can't remember the username.

A restoration to me is restoring a car to as new condition. Resto Mod to me is during that full blown restoration, someone went nuts with a body kit/custom panel work PLUS fancy paint job.

swapping an engine out would be modified, but the intentension may be because the old one was cactus, and may be done without the extra cash needed for the Bling factor.

i think clones are seperate again to resto mods. they aren't as they rolled out of the factory, but are built as close to factory specs as is possible on the budget allowed for.

Eleanor cars are not clones, they are resto mods...

I guess after all that, i would also consider a restomod is anything that requires 90% of parts sourced from non mustang original parts.

Both factory and restomod cars are very desirable to the right people, its just not too often the same people favour both.

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
Restomods in Aust
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 02:21:15 pm »

Offline Gone65

• Worked
  • V8s the music of life
Restomods in Aust
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 02:25:24 pm »

The small amount of people that don’t like my car for what ever reason are far outweighed by people that love it. . The knockers that have commented on my car have said that they didn’t like it  I told them to do the following.
Go down to Bunning’s and to buy some wood and to build a little bridge and to get over it.
Thousands of people love it because its a Mustang.
The small amount of people that don’t like , I respect their views but in the end I don’t care.
My advise to you GT350 Coupe Clone is don’t let the small minority worry you life’s to short.

Offline Envy 68

• Worked
Restomods in Aust
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 02:40:20 pm »
:agree: :agree: :agree:
SALUTE!!  To those who have given their lives doing their job.

Offline Moz

• Blue Printed
Restomods in Aust
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 02:47:06 pm »
guys at the end of the day it doesnt matter what you do, one thing I have learnt in the 50 years of walking on this planet is you will never please everybody. If they dont like it, jam them.
I have owned 36 cars in my lifetime so far and there was always a critic somewhere. I remember once when I bought one of my Porsches and a friend said to me how are you going to get people to fit in the back seat? I said to him do you think I buys cars to take people out? buy your own car.
Another time I bought a Merc. Roadster and another person said he didnt like it, so I said dont buy one then like I care.
At the end of the day who gives a sh#t what people think or we may as well all have the same houses wear the same clothes and never leave the house in case someone thinks we walk different.

CPU

CPU
Restomods in Aust
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 03:15:56 pm »
Quote from: Xrayman link=topic=15646.msg156879#msg156879

........ - having just had to search high and low to find some 14" tyres, I can understand why people are getting bigger rims :cry:

I'll second that.  Sending you a U2U Xrayman :cheers:

Offline Moz

• Blue Printed
Restomods in Aust
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 03:26:17 pm »
are you after some 14 inch tyres? Im thinking of selling 14 & 15 inch white wall tyres. Looking into it at the moment but not sure if many people would be interested in them. Is there much demand?

• Worked
Restomods in Aust
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 03:40:26 pm »
Yes whitewall and BF Goodrich radial ta's at a good price would sell like hot cakes

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
Restomods in Aust
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 06:08:18 pm »
Ian, I'd like to see a full size shot of those two Resto Models on your car...  How about it?

Offline johnny_b

• Worked
Restomods in Aust
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2011, 06:34:39 pm »
Quote from: gt350 coupe clone link=topic=15646.msg156904#msg156904
Also note that me being 25 and building it in my own garage at my own place sometimes has alot to do with it !  

:omg: me too.....but I'm 26. Pretty good feeling to own your own house, Classic Mustang and a quality runaround aye!:thumb:
Just bought myself a HotHatch, Focus RS. It aint a ricer cos its an ANGLO FORD :redpepper:
Real AUSSIES use a Knife and Fork.

Offline Gone65

• Worked
  • V8s the music of life
Restomods in Aust
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 07:51:12 pm »

Any one else other than Macka want to see pics of the Fast back and four hot looking chicks ????? I had around 70 pics taken this year all full clothed and above board before the web master gets concerned.

Offline MILD67

• Worked
  • Name: Rob
Restomods in Aust
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2011, 11:55:10 pm »
YES PLEASE
:rub:
Look at your car. Now back to mine. Now back to yours. Now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine. But if you stopped buying dodgy cars and bought an 67, yours could be like mine. Look down. Back up. Where are you? ...You're on MOCA, reading the signature your signature could be like! Anything is possible when your car looks like my car...................

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
Restomods in Aust
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 08:33:30 am »
Quote from: Gone65 link=topic=15646.msg156984#msg156984

Any one else other than Macka want to see pics of the Fast back and four hot looking chicks ????? I had around 70 pics taken this year all full clothed and above board before the web master gets concerned.

Let me think about it.................................Yes Please!!!

With the Restomod thing it's down to interpretation. In my mind it means a car that had been "Resto" Restored "Mod" Modernised. By modernised things like rear disks, efi, rack & pinion etc.

For example if you had an early car with a Cammer, old school disks on the front & period correct suspension mods it wouldnt be a restomod, more just a modified car. I think there is confusion as to whether the mod part means Modern or Modified.

Offline Gone65

• Worked
  • V8s the music of life
Restomods in Aust
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 08:53:24 am »

This is for you Macka  Click Here to see the pics