New RTA rule for NSW on imported LHD cars

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: New RTA rule for NSW on imported LHD cars  (Read 15885 times)

Offline dead66

• Thoroughbred
« on: September 06, 2011, 12:33:38 am »
Hi Guys, I was trying to rebuild the dead 66 but have moved it to the too hard basket and now in the process of buying another 66 coupe in California. But, I have been told that the RTA are trying to stop LHD cars from getting rego and you now have to get an engineers certificate before a blue slip at an extra cost of $800.  Anyone run into this yet as Im thinking of caning the import and any feed back would be accepted..  RG

Offline Spooky

• Worked
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 08:21:39 am »
This doesn't sound right. I've not heard anything about it and have searched the RTA website but not found anything that may indicate this.
[align=center]
[/align]

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed
  • Name: David
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 04:16:08 pm »
Did my car in December 2010 - wasn't in then. Haven't heard anything since.
IMG

Offline TheDarkStang

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 06:12:39 pm »
I think it may be BS.
Cheers ,
Mark

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 08:24:48 pm »
It doesn't make sense, maybe they want an Engineers Certificate for RHD cars that were LHD and haven't been registered before.

Offline Bumblebee

• Blue Printed
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 10:34:37 pm »
I bought mine in about 3 months ago and didn't need this for rego.  Sounds like crap, unless the new government bought in a change, which I doubt.

Cheers Bee

Offline dead66

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 10:43:13 pm »
The person who I spoke to about buying my next car was doing a new full rego last week and he is angry over the $800 cost for the left hand drive check over as I wanted some parts off him, he implied that it was on all LHD that are now coming up for rego even imported some time back including cars going on to club plates. I am spending a lot on this car and its not one out of the box but its more honest than these great looking cars for sale here with Mexican spray jobs and shipped in. Of the last three cars I have purchased here and over there where a load of junk when landed and picked up yet the photos looked great with no rust, they where more air conditioned than Fred Flintstones car so I am ready to pull the deal and keep the cash... RG

Offline A67PNY

• Worked
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 12:25:50 am »
Does not sound right.
Try and get this in writing........

Offline Trans-Am

• Worked
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 08:41:27 am »
Hello Gentlemen,

Without putting the fear of God and adding fuel to the current conversation, there are strong rumours going around of a massive sweep to the current RTA rules for motor vehicles in general, regardless if they're an import or 'new' vehicle.

There seems to be a movement that they're trying to eliminate all of the 'old' car's from the roads.

Also, there was one document which was released last year regarding ICV (individually constructed vehicles) which outlined the braking test for which these vehicles must comply with, and by the looks of it, I don't think even a brand 'new' production vehicle would pass!

Let's hope that these suggested rules are only rumours, as this will effect a whole raft of aftermarket businesses which supply and support us car enthusiast's.

Cheers,

Trans-Am:cool:

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 08:45:04 am »
Quote from: dead66 link=topic=15630.msg156781#msg156781
The person who I spoke to about buying my next car was doing a new full rego last week and he is angry over the $800 cost for the left hand drive check over as I wanted some parts off him, he implied that it was on all LHD that are now coming up for rego even imported some time back including cars going on to club plates. I am spending a lot on this car and its not one out of the box but its more honest than these great looking cars for sale here with Mexican spray jobs and shipped in. Of the last three cars I have purchased here and over there where a load of junk when landed and picked up yet the photos looked great with no rust, they where more air conditioned than Fred Flintstones car so I am ready to pull the deal and keep the cash... RG

I havent heard of this either.

Without trying to sound like a smart ass what cars have you bought & what prices did you pay? In most cases you get what you pay for. Many on here have been burnt, myself included thinking we have picked up a bargain. If it sounds cheap it probably is a dud. Again not trying to offend, just offering some advice so you dont follow the same path.

Have you looked at buying a car that is already registered & on the road in Australia? That would solve any issues with engineers etc.
There is also plenty of good cars here to choose from.

Offline A67PNY

• Worked
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 08:49:53 pm »
Quote from: soc123_au link=topic=15630.msg156796#msg156796
Quote from: dead66 link=topic=15630.msg156781#msg156781

I havent heard of this either.

Without trying to sound like a smart ass what cars have you bought & what prices did you pay? In most cases you get what you pay for. Many on here have been burnt, myself included thinking we have picked up a bargain. If it sounds cheap it probably is a dud. Again not trying to offend, just offering some advice so you dont follow the same path.

Have you looked at buying a car that is already registered & on the road in Australia? That would solve any issues with engineers etc.
There is also plenty of good cars here to choose from.

I AGREE..........:thumb:

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 09:09:08 pm »
Here we go again.

Someones leg is being pulled.

luvhev
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline dead66

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 12:23:41 am »
I spoke to the RTA today and they require a blue slip, weigh bridge ticket, import papers, all recites, green slip and if the blue slip inspector finds any modifications to the vehicle from what should be standard he is to order a engineers certificate and tell the owner and the RTA. Club rego is still a grey area but I was given a phone number to ring for more technical details on both items. post 72 will require a possible engineers ticket so saith the RTA person.

To soc123_au.. If I was to buy a car here it would have to be a RHD Mustang or not interested and many adds to not contain that information, if not available then I would move to the second choice which would be a Lincoln continental or a Mercury Cougar from the early 70's as they sell for under $16k and I like them and are available in RHD

You asked what cars I had, well we got a 1973 coupe from Florida and it looked great in the photos and no rust, wrong the floors where gone and some flat sheet metal cut out and glued in with sealer to cover the none areas, rust in the engine bay big time but loads of bog in the panels and guard skirts but the paint job was great, cost $8300 landed, sold off for what I could get back, next a 1971 coupe again from Melbourne, great paint job and still to be finished off but when it turned up every bit supplied was shot so would have to buy all over again $14000, sold off for what I could get back and broke even, 1965 convertible from California with great paint job and new trim and that was about it, some rust but easy fix job on that  and the brake cables not connected and tied on top of the diff but the reason they where not connected was because there was no brake levers on the rear shoes and other steering and engine problems but I have fixed most of them now, cost before repairs $13500 landed. This next one is not painted and has been inspected to some degree so I feel better off with it and I have plans for the dead car in my work shop and get it blasted, I will have a whole car for spares.... RG

Offline scedd1

• Worked
  • Name: Steve
  • Car: 68 Coupe - Frankenstang
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 01:09:28 am »
Why did it take till car #4 to get an inspection?
OZ or USA - trust no-one who is selling something.
There are so many fellow owners in clubs and on the forums who can have a look for you.
.  ____________
./____________ \.
 ( ]]] _ _ O _ _ [[[ )
\_ o _ _____ _ o _/
 |___|            |___|

Offline Bumblebee

• Blue Printed
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 01:24:43 am »
Very simple, there are good blue slip people and there are others.   Just do your homework and it is situation normal.

I have imported one car very recently and registered two LHD cars in NSW over the last 4 years, and basically nothing changed at all.  I've even had a car "engineered" and still had a "good" blue slip person re-blue slip based on the engineered certificate (why you need this, who knows!).

SO no change, just get on with it and enjoy your import.

See you on the road, hopefully.

Quote from: dead66 link=topic=15630.msg156864#msg156864
I spoke to the RTA today and they require a blue slip, weigh bridge ticket, import papers, all recites, green slip and if the blue slip inspector finds any modifications to the vehicle from what should be standard he is to order a engineers certificate and tell the owner and the RTA. Club rego is still a grey area but I was given a phone number to ring for more technical details on both items. post 72 will require a possible engineers ticket so saith the RTA person.
To soc123_au.. If I was to buy a car here it would have to be a RHD Mustang or not interested and many adds to not contain that information, if not available then I would move to the second choice which would be a Lincoln continental or a Mercury Cougar from the early 70's as they sell for under $16k and I like them and are available in RHD
You asked what cars I had, well we got a 1973 coupe from Florida and it looked great in the photos and no rust, wrong the floors where gone and some flat sheet metal cut out and glued in with sealer to cover the none areas, rust in the engine bay big time but loads of bog in the panels and guard skirts but the paint job was great, cost $8300 landed, sold off for what I could get back, next a 1971 coupe again from Melbourne, great paint job and still to be finished off but when it turned up every bit supplied was shot so would have to buy all over again $14000, sold off for what I could get back and broke even, 1965 convertible from California with great paint job and new trim and that was about it, some rust but easy fix job on that  and the brake cables not connected and tied on top of the diff but the reason they where not connected was because there was no brake levers on the rear shoes and other steering and engine problems but I have fixed most of them now, cost before repairs $13500 landed. This next one is not painted and has been inspected to some degree so I feel better off with it and I have plans for the dead car in my work shop and get it blasted, I will have a whole car for spares.... RG

Cheers Bee

Offline Spooky

• Worked
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 07:46:55 am »
:agree:
[align=center]
[/align]

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 09:11:58 am »
You should have better luck with the unpainted one. Sadly alot of US paintjobs just cover up poor or non existent repairs. Its a shame you copped 3 duds, but for what you paid for them it is to be expected. A fair whack of your cost would have been shipping, the shipping is the same cost for a mint 67 GT500 as it is for a rusted 73 coupe. So really the cars cost bugger all.

I dont really understand why you would buy a LHD car from os & go through the hassle of shipping etc but wouldnt consider a LHD car already here & on the road. Doesnt really make sense to me. Is it because you think you will save massive amounts of coin by importing? If so it doesnt sound like it has gone too well so far. Anyway best of luck with it & I hope it all works out for you, do yourself a favour & have a good read through this (& other) forums about some of the cheap buckets of crap that have been imported & see what the results were. Not that I should be talking people out of buying rust buckets as I have fixed quite a few of them, just that there is more cost effective ways of getting what you want.

CPU

CPU
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 02:57:39 pm »
Hi gentleman

In in the last couple of weeks I had my Dodg left hook regoed.  Early 72 model so pre ADR's.  All I needed was blue slip, (which I had no trouble in obtaining) weigh bridge ticket, import papers, all receipts and a green slip  .  All went like clock work.  (Not sure if it had been post ADR what would have transpired)

There is a thread here displaying an email that has been going around on this subject CLICK ME

How much of this is hearsay, fact or a beat up I have no idea.  What I do know from my experiences is that some of what is mentioned above linked thread is already, and has been for some time, in place.  Me thinks they are just enforcing more so the existing regulations. I'll stand corrected on this if not the case.  Will be of great interest to see what unfolds

Kind Regards
CPU

Offline Martini

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 08:07:33 pm »
Registered my 70 Boss 302 today (personal import) in NSW and didnt need any eng cert. Just a blue slip, import approval number and greenslip. Registered my 69 Boss 302 last month and had no issue either.

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 07:07:40 pm »
dead66......Chill out, take a Vincents, buy a local mustang, RHD with full rego, all the money you have spent to me adds up to buying a good local car with no vices, 40k will get you a 7/10 50k a 8/10 annd 60k a 9/10... you work out the rest/
luvhev
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline dead66

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2011, 12:28:36 am »
Dear HEVEN67, I have no idea what you are talking about, whats a, " 40k will get you a 7/10 50k a 8/10 and 60k a 9/10... you work out the rest " please explain....
As to spending $40k dollars on a mustang you have to be kidding as the wife will be spending $7000 on my funeral if she found out and as I said I would put the money into some thing else before that. to me it is a play thing and not even on my bucket list as I only need one item to fill it.  I am on a limited budget as I am retired and living on my super and can not spend money like I was still at work and I made sure I got most of toys I wanted before I left work as I still have five bays in my workshop to fill.
Moving back to the import question I stumped the RTA guy today as I pointed out that if I reregistered a EA falcon I would not have to get a weigh ticket as it was sold through the Ford dealers and he agreed with that so I asked then why should I get one for a 65 mustang as they where sold through the same ford dealers in 65, he could not answer that one as he did not know they where sold brand new out here so they should be on the books, got him.... RAY

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2011, 09:25:54 am »
What Hev means is if you spend 40k you will be in the price range of a car that would rate a 7 out of 10 as a mark for its condition.  50k spend will be a better car etc etc.

For the record no one is trying to burst your bubble, just telling you how it is. The market dictates what a car is worth & a quallity car will fetch good money. If your budget doesnt allow for a decent car you will end up with exactly what you pay for. You are not the first person to come here with the same story & you wont be the last. I am yet to see someone pick up a great car for the money you want to spend. We have all walked the same road you are now walking on so the advice we are offering isnt just plucked from thin air. Its no different from wanting a good quality big screen telly worth 3k & only having $1500.00 to spend, you simply either wont get one or settle for something not as good. There is good advice to be had on here whether you take it or leave it is up to you.

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2011, 09:31:20 am »
On the weighbridge bit, Mustangs were only low volume imports when they were new. They also couldnt be registered as they left the factory. They were converted to RHD by various workshops before being sold. They have never been available new over here in Factory spec so that is why you need a weighbridge ticket.

Offline TheDarkStang

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2011, 06:05:31 pm »
Dead, you can have my RHD for $80k. Talk to the wife about it.
Cheers ,
Mark

Offline dead66

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2011, 12:17:23 pm »
Mark....Thanks for the offer but I woulds not pay that for any car as I had a car worth $65k and the government brought in capital gains tax and all the big car collectors and would be hoarders dumped their cars on the market and my car was worth $5k in a week and it is still in the shed under a cover, so you can keep it and hope the pr#cks never come up with another tax grab.

Soc123....   (What Hev means is if you spend 40k you will be in the price range of a car that would rate a 7 out of 10 as a mark for its condition. 50k spend will be a better car etc etc.)  thank you for explaining that and i wonder why he could not have said that in the first place anyway no mater as I will not be spending any where like that.
 Quote.........For the record no one is trying to burst your bubble, just telling you how it is.
you will not burst my bubble as I will get what I want in the end as there are so many cars out there and I will keep looking, in the last weeks I have found 15 mustangs of which 5 where good for spares and 7 that where Mexican spray jobs or have rust in the body and 3 that where good but the owners are not ready to sell them.   ( The market dictates) It could cause that but there are getting to many of them listed in Just Cars and on the net for sale and in the  end you will see a glut of them and either they will stop coming or the price will drop as history repeats it self and I have seen it before. At this time I know of a 1960's mustang that ran in the touring car races and is in the shed about 30 k m away from here and it coming on to the market soon and the price will be under $30k as the wife will be disposing of his items.
Quote about the early ones ford brought in  ( They were converted to RHD by various workshops before being sold. They have never been available new over here in Factory spec so that is why you need a weighbridge ticket. ) my first 65 coupe I purchased in 69 was RHD and had a tag riveted to the fire wall with Ford motor company of Australia Geelong Victoria  and a serial number and some other details also Hunt Brothers Dealer ship in Hurstville Sydney had two on the floor in 1965 as I use to call in and check them over and they where RHD so they had to been done some where in the system as they where being sold as new cars with the XP falcons.
Quote... (wanting a good quality big screen telly worth 3k & only having $1500.00 to spend, you simply either wont get one)... Mate you need to go to the good guys and Harvey Norman as the electronic sales are changing so fast that it is already that way on a TV made six months ago as I just got a 52 inch Panasonic for that price .I came here for advise and I read and listen to what people have to say then I buy and thank you for your advise.... Ray