My 69 R-code and 66 T-code

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: My 69 R-code and 66 T-code  (Read 134455 times)

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
Re: My 69 R-code and 66 T-code
« Reply #450 on: June 25, 2014, 11:13:55 pm »
With an auto trans, yes. But not a manual. All I will need is the reverse switch for the back up lights.

Have you looked into doing a T5 conversion, JT? All those parts are readily available. Have a look on the Modern Driveline website, that should give you some good ideas.

I have thought about a T5, as well as many other driveline upgrades I could do..... If I had the money!
I've done a little research on the T5 kits, which include a new g'box and all the brackets and linkages, etc. that would be required..

Anyone have any idea of what it might cost to have a workshop install a T5 and get it all working properly?
- Also what it might cost to have the crown and pinion gears in the diff changed over..... Properly?
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
« Reply #451 on: June 25, 2014, 11:32:09 pm »
I wouldn't bother with a new T5. The last one I got, which I have put aside for my 66 6cyl, I got out of a manual EL wagon which I brought for $120. I parted the rest of the car out, made about $1000 and kept the T5 which ran great.

I would just go with the T5 adapter and cross member. I had planned to have a go at drilling and tapping an original bellhousing to fit the T5 to.

From what I can figure, I'll have to fab up a shift lever. Possibly get the tail shaft made to length, wont know for sure until it is in.

The speedo drive goes in the opposite side of the extension housing so hopefully that has enough length.

The T5 and top loader use the same 10 spline input shaft so no probs there.

My 66 has a 3.20 diff ratio. It's not too bad. I think the T5 will take out the way you have to ride 1st gear a bit with the 3 speed. But I would mainly like to swap to a T5 for the over drive. In 3rd with the top loader it is revving a bit too high on the open road.

nice looking EFI set up Ash , hummed and harred myself on getting a setup but money a lack of ruled that out
cheers shane

Cheers, Shane. I thought about it for a long time too. I was really keen on the MSD Atomic set-up but when I saw the release of this Fast 2.0, I was sold. It's taken me quite some time to save up for it but by the time I did, it was finally off back order.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
« Reply #452 on: June 26, 2014, 12:04:24 am »
I generally shift manually with my auto to keep it in first a bit longer to use the torque to get it moving, but I don't think it revs too hard on the freeway and once it gets going it's ok but taking off it could use a bit of help sometimes...

2.9 gears and a 3spd would probably be ok if it were a V8 but the 6 doesn't quite have the power to get moving..
I'm sure the engine makes some torque (it's just hiding somewhere!) and if I could put a better ratio in the diff, and more gears in the g'box, I would be able to use it much more...

I would like to get a 69 Fastback someday and that would have a V8 and more than likely a T5 or something similar, but for the coupe I would be happy to keep it a 6cyl auto.. :bolt:
Are there any realistic options that I could consider for an auto which wouldn't be a pain in the a$$? (AOD?)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 12:18:24 am by JT_1994 »
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #453 on: June 26, 2014, 06:33:56 pm »
That's funny, I find my 200ci quite surprisingly torquey. You can cruise around everywhere in 3rd. Never any need to shift back on big hills, it just keeps pulling.

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
« Reply #454 on: June 26, 2014, 08:35:40 pm »
That's funny, I find my 200ci quite surprisingly torquey. You can cruise around everywhere in 3rd. Never any need to shift back on big hills, it just keeps pulling.

Mine has "ok" torque on the freeway, and it will more than happily sit on around 60-70mph all day..
It will quite happily jump from 70-80mph to overtake before I can even get into the right lane.
Once it is going it can wind up alright, but below about 35-40mph and from a dead stop especially it seems to have very little torque, which is why I keep it it a lower gear a bit longer to get the revs up in the power band..

I've got 2.9:1 gears, whereas you've got 3.2:1..
Correct me if I am wrong, but theoretically that would mean that your engine will be in it's power band at a lower road speed than mine would be, so the torque would be more useable as it is available without breaking speed limits..
I have looked very seriously at getting a new set of gears put in, probably 3 or 3.25, to get it moving a bit better but for the time being at least I can't afford to send it to a workshop to have it done properly..
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #455 on: June 26, 2014, 08:46:12 pm »
The 3.20 diff gears in mine will definitely help over what you have but it isn't a giant leap. Not sure what wheels you have either but I still have the small original 14's.

Perhaps have a good hard look around for another 6cyl diff for yours. Most people pull them out and don't want them. You might find a cheap one. Worth a try instead of a paying to change yours.

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
« Reply #456 on: June 26, 2014, 09:16:13 pm »
The 3.20 diff gears in mine will definitely help over what you have but it isn't a giant leap. Not sure what wheels you have either but I still have the small original 14's.

I've got repro 15" style steel wheels, 205/65/15 on the front, 225/65/15 on the back...
The previous owner was getting the car prepared for a V8, so all the steering, suspension, and brakes were set up for a V8 but he never got the chance so the driveline remained 6cyl, BW 3spd, and BW diff..

Changing the entire diff would be something I could probably do if I had a bit more work-space, I am relatively restricted in what I am able to do myself in the shed due to a lack of work-space.. Something that might be worth considering though, assuming I could find one with the right gears, in useable condition...
The other thing is that is isn't the original diff, it's a Borg Warner.. Basically everything aside from the body has been taken from a Falcon..
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 10:51:47 pm by JT_1994 »
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #457 on: June 27, 2014, 08:10:12 am »
You wont need a lot of space to change a diff. It's just an easier job if you have a second set of hands. There's no reason you and a mate couldn't swap one out in a couple of hours in the driveway.

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
« Reply #458 on: June 27, 2014, 01:15:02 pm »
Mostly it just comes down to cost and space to work, I have all the tools I would need and I could probably find a friend who could help.. If it would only take a day I could probably just move the other car out of the garage...
I do get a bit of axle tramp as well occasionally, perfect excuse for some new leaf springs if the diff is coming out anyway! :lmao: ..Oh but then I'll need to put new coils on the front to get the height just right! And probably a new set of wheels to finish off the look... When does it end??? :bolt:

What ratio gears would be advisable?
Would there be much noticeable benefit in going with an LSD?
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #459 on: June 29, 2014, 07:18:59 am »
Don't go too big of a jump in ratio as you'll most likely become disappointed in the top end afterwards.

LSD would only really be beneficial if you were having traction problems. Under normal driving conditions, standard is more than fine.

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
« Reply #460 on: June 29, 2014, 03:10:39 pm »
Well it's about 2.9:1 at the moment, 3.00:1 wouldn't make that much difference would it?
Would something around 3.20:1 be a better jump?
I do drive on the freeway occasionally, but most of the driving I do in it is closer to 60mph.
It doesn't have any problems sticking to the road even with hard cornering it doesn't feel like it's close to letting go.
I suppose that might change with a different diff ratio (the motor would be able to rev more easily) and firmer suspension though..

Off the line it feels like trying to pedal a bike in a high gear while riding up hill and for the time being at least I can't put a V8 in it... :therethere:
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #461 on: June 29, 2014, 10:33:47 pm »
No, 3.00 wouldn't make much difference.

Mine is pretty happy to cruise at around 60mph too. But another 5-10mph more and I find it is revving just a little above it's happy spot.

I'd say the difference, even though mine has 50 less ci's, is mine is manual which makes it have more of a lively feel.

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
« Reply #462 on: June 29, 2014, 11:23:45 pm »
No, 3.00 wouldn't make much difference.

Mine is pretty happy to cruise at around 60mph too. But another 5-10mph more and I find it is revving just a little above it's happy spot.

I'd say the difference, even though mine has 50 less ci's, is mine is manual which makes it have more of a lively feel.

I'm not sure about what the Borg Warner diff ratios were that I would be able to find and use, but perhaps something around 3.10-3.20:1 would be alright... I would consider going even for an shorter ratio than that if I had more gears in the trans to keep the RPM down a bit.. At the moment it will happily cruise at 75mph and quickly accelerates to overtake, it's probably only 5-10% of the time that I drive it on the freeway and below about 45mph it just doesn't seem to want to get up and go as much as it does at 60-70mph...
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline Reverend

• Stallion
  • Name: Jon
« Reply #463 on: July 03, 2014, 06:49:03 pm »
You can't go past a 69 R code!!!!!
1968 Convertible

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
« Reply #464 on: July 03, 2014, 06:53:14 pm »

Not in my 6 cylinder I won't... Except maybe at the petrol station! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed
  • Name: David
« Reply #465 on: July 06, 2014, 05:12:20 pm »

:agree: except maybe for the Holy Grail - a 69 Boss 9  :burnout:
IMG

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #466 on: July 06, 2014, 07:45:58 pm »
Got the T56 home and had a short drive, it feels great. Low km, well looked after car, it should last a long time.

Also ordered a Quicktime bellhousing to suit it to mount it to the FE. It'll take about 2 months to arrive.

I'll figure out what clutch to buy later as it can wait. I'll also get a Hurst shifter for it to suit the Mustang.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #467 on: September 04, 2014, 10:04:03 pm »
The new Quicktime bellhousing arrived today. They are a nice piece or gear that's for sure.

Also got a new balancer. I just need to decide on a clutch and then it's all off to be balanced. First though I plan to dummy up the T56 to the block and drop them into the car to figure out what needs to be done to fit the T56. I'll do that first before the block goes off to be machined.

Offline 66 Stang

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Keith
« Reply #468 on: September 04, 2014, 10:18:26 pm »
Have you got any recent pics of where your up to with the car Ash?

Cheers
Keith

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #469 on: September 04, 2014, 10:26:26 pm »
I don't, Keith. Mainly because the only thing that has changed is the layer of dust has got thicker.