My 69 R-code and 66 T-code

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: My 69 R-code and 66 T-code  (Read 134859 times)

Offline rp1966

• Worked
Re: My 69 R-code and 66 T-code
« Reply #425 on: February 27, 2014, 09:58:56 pm »
Hay Ash just throw in a few extra welds. From the photos on your forum the tops of the rails look really good and should accept a good strong mig weld. just remember to cote the inside of the rails with some good anti rust epoxy like I did.

/Users/robertperic/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2007/06:01:2007/IMGP2690.JPG

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
« Reply #426 on: February 27, 2014, 10:03:19 pm »
Ash definitely not for a 67 my floors are original other than the front sections and those pressing are not in mine , i suppose the only issue might be they could interfere with the rear lower seat mounting but not having a 69 (  pardon the pun ) couldnt be sure but would assume the mounting is the same as mine as the lower seat is the same .
voom voom shane

In this highly detailed engineering drawing, the red line will be roughly where the pan will be trimmed to the follow the frame rail. Half of the curved section will be removed with this. The rest I'll flatten back to by removing a section and welding flat. I think it will definitely create an issue with the seat base as you said, Shane, if it is left there.

Hay Ash just throw in a few extra welds. From the photos on your forum the tops of the rails look really good and should accept a good strong mig weld. just remember to cote the inside of the rails with some good anti rust epoxy like I did.

You're right, RP, the rails are quite good. The cross member and torque boxes are too. My next step is to sand blast the inside of the rails, scuff up and then paint with an epoxy primer. I'm using SPI paints on this which I had sent over from the US.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline rp1966

• Worked
« Reply #427 on: February 27, 2014, 10:25:13 pm »
How did you get paint shipped over from the states. I have tried several times to get paint shipped but they refused saying its a potential hazard on an aircraft. Did you get your stuff by air or sea freight.
/Users/robertperic/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2007/06:01:2007/IMGP2690.JPG

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #428 on: February 27, 2014, 10:30:46 pm »
I had it sent by slow boat through my importer who brought in both of  my stangs.

I bought my epoxy, 2K high fill plus wax and grease remover when I got. Hopefully I have enough to do everything up until colour. I'll order colour later on once the ball rolls on further as it'll take a while to arrive and I have plenty do do before then.

The paint guys ship for free or bugger all within the US. Just find yourself a local importer who is happy to bring it over for you and have it sent to their warehouse in the US. I think it cost me a couple of hundred dollars to get it to Aus. There were 3 boxes.

Offline 67fasty.sm

• Worked
  • Name: shane
« Reply #429 on: March 02, 2014, 08:43:47 am »
Nice avatar Ash  :thumb:
Its funny how quick kids learn to drive a car, yet fail to understand a lawnmower.

Offline xpconnor

• Stallion
« Reply #430 on: March 02, 2014, 10:17:10 am »
Hey Ash,

That floor pan looks like it is for a 64-68. Then I thought the full pans were different for 69-70. Also if it doesn't have the turned over edge it is for a convertible, where as the 69-70 ones are all the same whether it is for a coupe,conv, or fastback.

http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCatalog/SheetMetal/floor-pans.htm
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 10:19:44 am by xpconnor »

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #431 on: March 02, 2014, 02:42:26 pm »
Nice avatar Ash  :thumb:

:grin: Everyone loves a nice boob.

Hey Ash,

That floor pan looks like it is for a 64-68. Then I thought the full pans were different for 69-70. Also if it doesn't have the turned over edge it is for a convertible, where as the 69-70 ones are all the same whether it is for a coupe,conv, or fastback.

http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCatalog/SheetMetal/floor-pans.htm

Hey Connor,

I thought the convertible had a down facing fold and the coupe/fastback had an upwards facing fold?

And I didn't think there were any replacement floors correct for 69/70 as they don't have the 4 sets of ribs, they only have 3?

Offline 67fasty.sm

• Worked
« Reply #432 on: March 02, 2014, 07:48:42 pm »
:grin: Everyone loves a nice boob

Damm straight Ash !!!
Its funny how quick kids learn to drive a car, yet fail to understand a lawnmower.

Offline xpconnor

• Stallion
« Reply #433 on: March 02, 2014, 09:19:25 pm »
:grin: Everyone loves a nice boob.

Hey Connor,

I thought the convertible had a down facing fold and the coupe/fastback had an upwards facing fold?

And I didn't think there were any replacement floors correct for 69/70 as they don't have the 4 sets of ribs, they only have 3?

The full pan I put in my 65 vert was like the one you have with the raised section for the hand brake cables and it didn't have any fold at the edge, just fitted in exactly as the original. That's why I thought maybe yours was for a 65 vert.

I did buy the individual LH and RH pans originally and they did have the fold down at the edge but I was advised just fit the full pan so never used them. Not sure what the coupe full pans have in regards to a folded edge but I would of thought it would have been the same as the original but not necessarily the same as if you buy LH and RH separate pans. (hope the makes sense)

In relation to the 69 I was just looking at the online catalogues and the 65 pans will fit with some modification including the convertible pan. The 69 pan is not concours correct but would be less work to fit I would think. Looking back at your build it looks like you have far better panel skills then myself so should have no issue getting the one you have to fit.

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed
  • Name: David
« Reply #434 on: May 07, 2014, 10:16:46 am »
Ash, I remember when you first bought this car in and were a bit worried about the alignment of the shaker. I know it's going to be a sensational R Code when she is complete, but are you regretting the purchase?
IMG

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #435 on: May 07, 2014, 11:04:26 am »
Hi Dave,

No, no regrets. Just disappointed. I never wanted a project, I just wanted to drive an enjoy.

By the time it is done, I think I will have spent about half again of what I paid for it. I did get it for a good price, not a lot more really than what R-code bare shells go for these days. And I got over 20k worth of receipts in new parts with it.

I guess the easy thing for me is that I don't care about concours originality. What I'm doing with this car would be different if I paid 100k or so for an original car. But I would never do that to begin with. I just wouldn't want to own a car like that. I had a set amount of cash in my pocket and that was my limit. So I don't regret buying a genuine CJ when my other options at the time were base model Machs.

I had planned to get more done this year but that's not happening again. I've picked up a couple of more family projects so they are taking over. The kids are loving fishing and camping at the moment so we have been doing that in our spare time instead.

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed
« Reply #436 on: June 02, 2014, 02:37:58 pm »
Glad you don't regret it. As the owner of one of those base model Mach 1s I obviously would love to have an R code. I completely understand where you are coming from, sometimes I regret having a concours car as I would like to restomod it a bit with suspension, brake and engine updates!

If you are ever going to part with that 6 cylinder, let me know, my daughter is looking (couple of years from getting her licence yet, bug a Mustang nut through and through).

IMG

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #437 on: June 03, 2014, 02:19:55 pm »
If you are ever going to part with that 6 cylinder, let me know, my daughter is looking (couple of years from getting her licence yet, bug a Mustang nut through and through).

That has crossed my mind a few items recently. I've walked past it on a few occasions and I looked at it as an expense that is sitting there doing nothing. But on further thought, I don't think I could do it. Seeing it passed onto my kids at some point gives me peace of mind that it sits there. I think it would be pretty cool if the first car that they got taken to school in, was the first car they owned and drove themselves to school in. Even cooler that it is a Mustang.

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed
« Reply #438 on: June 04, 2014, 06:04:05 pm »
Can understand that Ash! Love reading stories from the States where they have owned their Mustang since they went to school!
IMG

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #439 on: June 18, 2014, 04:50:47 pm »
Still haven't done anything to the car except walk past it. But it got a few presents today. :pepper:

The new Fast EZ-EFI 2.0 system. I went with the in-tank fuel pump and dual sync distributor. This thing is good for 1200hp  :burnout: Not that I'll be near that but I should be around the halfway mark so it should support it well

This is the EFI carb, it has 8 internal injectors

This is the control panel, it's about the same size as a small smart phone.

Also got my new piston kit

Next step is to get the block and rotating assembly off to the machine shop.

Offline jademustang

• Worked
« Reply #440 on: June 18, 2014, 05:17:53 pm »
 :drool:

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
« Reply #441 on: June 18, 2014, 05:49:17 pm »
Great news Ash, good to see another step in the project

Offline 68Coupe

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Andrew
« Reply #442 on: June 18, 2014, 06:24:38 pm »
Geez, you'd think it was Christmas Ash. Some nice looking gear there.  :thumb:

Offline Pinto Pete

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Nigel
« Reply #443 on: June 18, 2014, 06:43:01 pm »
Looks very nice,.. might be nearly as good as the 800 cfm  Carter Edelbrock Webber carby I picked up, nowhere near as shiny but....  :thumb:
It is far easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #444 on: June 18, 2014, 08:00:41 pm »
You win on shiny, Pete  :grin:

Cheers guys. Feels like the best Christmas ever. A few more grand to save up and this engine will be almost complete. Perhaps...

Offline Pinto Pete

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Nigel
« Reply #445 on: June 18, 2014, 08:12:37 pm »
You win on shiny, Pete  :grin:

Shiny rocks mon ami.... :thumb:
It is far easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #446 on: June 25, 2014, 03:34:32 pm »
Brought myself a T56 today to go in the 69. The T56 is wrapped in a BF XR6. I have another BA XR8 with a 5 speed I was going to try and use the trans from but this 6 speed I know will bolt up with an aftermarket bellhousing. Very happy to finally have managed to score one of these, they don't come up often and cost a fortune to buy on their own.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 03:36:38 pm by Ash »

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
« Reply #447 on: June 25, 2014, 03:53:51 pm »
Brought myself a T56 today to go in the 69. The T56 is wrapped in a BF XR6. I have another BA XR8 with a 5 speed I was going to try and use the trans from but this 6 speed I know will bolt up with an aftermarket bellhousing. Very happy to finally have managed to score one of these, they don't come up often and cost a fortune to buy on their own.

How would you got putting a modern gearbox into an old Mustang?
New cross-member and brackets obviously, but don't they have a heap of electrics that go with them?

I've thought about updating bits of the driveline in my car, but never really thought of changing the motor along with it, because it's so easy to work on and there are very few tricky (electronic) components I would much rather put a new g'box in (one with more gears) so that I can put a higher gear ratio in the diff without making it rev it's head off...

My 250 I6 should have a V8 bell housing, the same as the 289 / 302 Windsors (I think), I'd be interested to hear about how I might be able to put a newer box in so the ratio in the diff can go up to get a bit more 'go' off the line.....
Call me crazy, but I think a 3 speed BW and 2.9:1 diff gears means that the car sometimes has a bit of trouble getting out of it's own way, especially from a dead-stop..
It also means that it takes a bit long to wind up on the freeway for overtaking.. Which is alright at the moment, everyone seems to want to get out of my way when they see me coming anyway, but I have had a few close calls where people have been sitting side-by-side with me (just staring at me!) while I'm trying to merge, and slowing down was not a (safe) option as there were cars behind too... It would be nice to have the torque a bit more available if I need it.
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #448 on: June 25, 2014, 03:56:33 pm »
How would you got putting a modern gearbox into an old Mustang?
New cross-member and brackets obviously, but don't they have a heap of electrics that go with them?

With an auto trans, yes. But not a manual. All I will need is the reverse switch for the back up lights.

Yes, I'll have to make a new cross member and modify the trans tunnel. But seeing as I'm putting a new one piece floor pan in, I can do all that while I'm at it.

Have you looked into doing a T5 conversion, JT? All those parts are readily available. Have a look on the Modern Driveline website, that should give you some good ideas.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 04:01:41 pm by Ash »

Offline 67fasty.sm

• Worked
« Reply #449 on: June 25, 2014, 10:03:11 pm »
nice looking EFI set up Ash , hummed and harred myself on getting a setup but money a lack of ruled that out
cheers shane