Importing from USA

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Importing from USA  (Read 7418 times)

Offline kitreid

• Stallion
Importing from USA
« on: February 03, 2011, 07:06:20 pm »
Do u guys think its safe to buy a car unseen, but  it's inspected buy a purely independed 3rd party?

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
Importing from USA
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 07:10:56 pm »
I personally couldn't do it, but there are plenty who have. I'm flying to the States next week so I can inspect for myself. It's only a grand to fly there and back. A bit more on top to fly around domestically when there and accommodation and car hire but considering the price you pay for the car I think it far outways the anxious wait for it to arrive sight unseen.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline Red 66

• Worked
Importing from USA
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 07:39:37 pm »
Quote from: kitreid link=topic=13576.msg139724#msg139724
Do u guys think its safe to buy a car unseen, but  it's inspected buy a purely independed 3rd party?

I did and was very happy with the result, was sent heaps of pics and a couple
Of videos (no surprises)

Barry

Offline KIMS 66

• Stallion
    • www.caseylimousines.com.au
Importing from USA
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 07:48:34 pm »
I did it...

Lesson learnt..   Won't do it again.

Offline Brett_T

• Worked
Importing from USA
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 07:55:44 pm »
I did , my first mustang i brought sight unseen, and it turned out great....:cool:

Offline kitreid

• Stallion
Importing from USA
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 08:07:02 pm »
Quote from: KIMS 66 link=topic=13576.msg139729#msg139729
I did it...

Lesson learnt..   Won't do it again.

What happenned? Did u have it inspected?

Offline kitreid

• Stallion
Importing from USA
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 08:07:38 pm »
Quote from: Brett_T link=topic=13576.msg139730#msg139730
I did , my first mustang i brought sight unseen, and it turned out great....:cool:

Did u import it mate?

Offline 66Scotty

• Thoroughbred
Importing from USA
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 08:31:08 pm »
I`m getting mine sight unseen.(Apart from photo`s and stuff) First time also. We`ll see. It`s sailing out of Japan as we speak and due to change ships in Singapore on 22/2 for it`s final leg to Fremantle. I`ll wait and see on inspection as to wether it was worth it.:rub:
Fuel......., On I Burn,
Fuel is pumping engines,
Burning hard, loose & clean

And I burn,
Churning my direction,
Quench my thirst with Gasoline..

(Metallica).....(Fuel).

Offline Rock65

• Worked
Importing from USA
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 09:09:28 pm »
Quote from: kitreid link=topic=13576.msg139724#msg139724
 The answer to that question is NO. It is not safe to buy sight unseen and if you get a third party to inspect it that still does not mean that the car you buy will be sound. Yes some people get lucky but would you risk your hard earned dollars and then realize once the car arrives that you have been dudded big time. Some people can charge upto $2500 for an inspection (and who says they are qualified to do vehicle inspections) ,and for that price you can inspect it yourself. Kitreid there are so many imports in Australia now that there are some great deals right here in OZ. There is a project on here for $16k or if you have no budget there are some great cars for sale here as well. Make sure you are 100% comfortable with the people you are dealing with if you decide to import.Take it from me there are some dodgey characters trying to say they know Mustangs ,but at the end of the day they are just a used car salesman in disguise. If you would like the inside scoop on importing i would be happy to answer any questions you might have as i have been there and done exactly what you are contemplating with poor results. U2U me for more info. Cheers Rohan.

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
Importing from USA
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 09:25:55 pm »
Has anyone imported a 2010 model recently?  I would be keen to hear any experiences.

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
Importing from USA
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 09:29:48 pm »
Macka

I have mine on its way but thats a personal import

Offline usa289

• Worked
Importing from USA
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 09:46:25 pm »
No worries about buying sight unseen PROVIDED you do your homework very well!!

If you are a little nervous .. get an independent inspection.
If you are an even more nervous type ... get two  independent inspections.
If you are not totally comfortable at all - buy a car already in Australia!!

Cheers,
[align=center]
USA289
[/align]

Offline Martini

• Thoroughbred
Importing from USA
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 09:57:54 pm »
Depends on the $$$$ investment? Ive heard of horror stories even when 'so-called' 3rd party experts were employed to examine vehicles.

For the sake of an airfare to the US, I would inspect the car personally and make appointments to see several examples of the Mustang you are interested in to determine if what you intend purchasing stacks up to whats available in the market.

Thats what I did and Im not a mechanic. I spent 3 days across 4 states in the US and saw 1/2 dozen cars before I bought my Boss 302. With airfares (Syd to SF return & 4 x internal flights), hire car, accom, fuel, food, etc - the total cost worked out to approx $2700. I just made sure there was access to a hoist on site or nearby and spent a few hours or so going over every detail and noting my findings.

Remember photo's are decieving and generally make a car look much better than what it does in real life!

Thats my 10 cents worth...

Offline supr-66

• Thoroughbred
Importing from USA
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 10:19:15 pm »
Kitreid everyone has a personal opinion on this topic, especially if they have imported sight unseen, whether it be a good or bad result. I have, and was very happy with the inspection result- I knew what I was buying. Rock was obviously burnt, so he advises never to go this way. I agree with USA, do your homework & eliminate as many possible problems as you can.
Or fly to California... Good luck mate.
Luke.

Offline Rock65

• Worked
Importing from USA
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 10:42:14 pm »
Quote from: supr-66 link=topic=13576.msg139751#msg139751
Kitreid everyone has a personal opinion on this topic, especially if they have imported sight unseen, whether it be a good or bad result. I have, and was very happy with the inspection result- I knew what I was buying. Rock was obviously burnt, so he advises never to go this way. I agree with USA, do your homework & eliminate as many possible problems as you can.
Or fly to California... Good luck mate.
Luke.
  Yes Luke your right the car i paid $2500 to have inspected is under going a re shell as we speak. I didnt say dont import i just said go and see the car for yourself. The person who looked at my car advertised on this forum and i thought it was all above board.It turns out the guy is a cabinet maker or something like that.I am a mechanic by trade and still work as a mechanic and even blind freddy could see if the guards rub on the doors when you jack it up that the chassis has to be dodgey.Im sure Luke will spend wisely and not have to go through the financial headache and marriage difficultys that i have had to enjure since i  bought my poorly put together rustbucket and be able to enjoy the whole mustang experience.

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
Importing from USA
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 01:49:00 pm »
You don't hear of many bringing them in, why is that?

Quote from: Shermatt link=topic=13576.msg139742#msg139742
Macka

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
Importing from USA
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 02:24:15 pm »
Plenty of stories around of people getting badly burnt because they just don't do enough homework or buy from previously unknown OS sellers.
There are people on this forum who will help you, but you must ask and get referrals that you can trust.
Heed the advice that the experienced posters/sponsors on this forum offer or ??????
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline Brett_T

• Worked
Importing from USA
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 03:06:56 pm »
Yeah Kitreid, i did...it was a 65 Coupe...

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
Importing from USA
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2011, 11:27:33 pm »
Quote from: Macka link=topic=13576.msg139808#msg139808
You don't hear of many bringing them in, why is that?

Macka

Macka

Theres 3 at the same shop at the moment.

People that are bringing them over arent bringing them to sell...there bringing them to keep.

Before I decided to bring over mine, I rang some mustang joint in QLD/MEL or Syd and they quoted me $196,000 RHD for a GT500 2010 verts and $204,000 if I wanted the electronics package (which mine has)

That was using a fibreglass dash and not the "soft touch" dash "pad" also.

Not sure what the prices are now.

Do you have any idea?

I dont even see them advertised in Oz anywhere

There was a fella on here a while back trying to sell his personal import (fastback) for $90k as the RHD conversion mob had him waiting 11 months to do the conversion. From memory it was blue and looked quite nice (well they all do)

Matt

Offline 66Scotty

• Thoroughbred
Importing from USA
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2011, 01:40:15 am »
Macka

Whooooooaaaaaa! What car is that?? Man, That is wicked!
Fuel......., On I Burn,
Fuel is pumping engines,
Burning hard, loose & clean

And I burn,
Churning my direction,
Quench my thirst with Gasoline..

(Metallica).....(Fuel).

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
Importing from USA
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2011, 06:09:52 pm »
Brett T

Im tyring to get in touch with you about  a purchase you may be considering

Please ring me ASAP

Matt

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
Importing from USA
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2011, 06:38:58 pm »
I bought my first Mustang sight unseen, but inspected beforehand. I paid $12K US for a driver C code coupe, with a supposed 393 stroker, aftermarket heads, and built driveline. Inspector told me most things, but missed a few smaller details, but also missed out that it was a mild 351w and stock driveline. I'm not expecting him to pull plugs out and measure stroke, but you could tell if it were a 6.5 litre engine, and if the driveline was not stock. The aftermarket heads would have not had Ford casting details either.

I've bought other cars locally, with not much more than a look over and a quick drive. After all, most stuff isn't apparent to the naked eye.

I've got another Mustang in the process, and am confident that I will be getting what I expected.... a 40+ year old car, in good enough condition. You can't buy 40+ year old cars, like Falcons & Commodores at a used car lot. Newer cars are 1000 times better when they were new, let alone only a year or 2 old.
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline rp1966

• Worked
Importing from USA
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2011, 08:52:19 pm »
I imported 3 cars last year all on ebay and all unseen and uninspected. first car arrived and it was exactly as described. I picked it up from a shipping yard in footscray and drove it home.  Sold it 6 weeks later. Second car also arrived as described and the seller even delivered it to the shipping company for me. Picked this car up from a depot in Brooklyn and also drove her home. This car is currently in the paint shop receiving it's final coat. The third one is leaving LA tomorrow. It was the worst one of the lot. Needs floor pans and a full resto. What do you expect when you pay $4000 for a 65 fastback, 289 factory 4spd toploader. Purchased all the resto parts required for this project and got it put in the car. I have never spoken to any of these owners over the phone. Everything was done via e-mail on ebay. So it can be done but you need to do your home work. A bit of trust in humanity also helps.
/Users/robertperic/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2007/06:01:2007/IMGP2690.JPG

Offline Rock65

• Worked
Importing from USA
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2011, 08:59:07 pm »
What do you expect when you pay $4000 for a 65 fastback, 289 factory 4spd toploader.                   Iwouldnt expect much for $4k but i would for $22500.

Offline rp1966

• Worked
Importing from USA
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2011, 09:15:00 pm »
How did they miss that. Did you get any pictures of the undercarriage before you purchased it. The rails on my car are ok. Its the floor pans that need repairs and I have purchased them in LA. I will post pix of this car when it lands. However I am pretty confident as I bought it of a county sheriff in the mid west. I have been pretty fortunate so far. 2 out of 3 aint bad. Some of my mates put $4000 on a horse that's still running. So if i have to take her to the tip bad luck. Get over it and move on. However I am pretty confident that won't be the case.
/Users/robertperic/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2007/06:01:2007/IMGP2690.JPG