'68 air cleaner vacuum can

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: '68 air cleaner vacuum can  (Read 1633 times)

Offline Ausjacko

• Worked
« on: October 23, 2010, 06:25:07 pm »
Has anyone ever seen or know where I can pick one of these up (the part name would be useful to)?  
It is the vacuum can that bolts under the air cleaner snorkel.  When cold, vacuum from the rear of the manifold should hold a flap up to let warm air into the engine.  When warm, the flap closes to allow cool air only in.  My can is frozen (to the cold side thankfully).  A previous fix with silcone stuff has not worked- by the previous owner mind you.
cheers
Jacko
1968 Fastback GT J-code
1967 GTA S-code coupe - 'Pink Bits'

Offline 66ROX

• Worked
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 08:18:35 pm »
If you can't get the original mustang part, the XC falcon V8 used to have something very similar. Might be the same part?

Offline mert

• Supercharged
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 09:51:00 pm »
Not really necessary in this environment.  Designed for cold weather (like snow and sleet and sub zero).  If its full open to the snorkel blocking the heat riser won't hurt anything.  The air motor only kicks in in very cold conditions, under hard acceleration the air motor will override the thermal bulb, if freezing air is sucked in...

There are firms that repair them, I tried one for my 68 S code, average work and expen$ive.  NOS are available from time to time, but again expensive.  

As yours is full open always, it may just be a misadjustment on the thermal rod.  It screws in and should open with about 100F temps.  I've tested quite a few for my 390's and they seem incredibly reliable.  I'd test that setting first.  If that works, as noted the air motor is secondary and having it full open to the snorkel is better than full closed...
8R01S, 8R03S, 8R01C-Cal Special, 8F01X - EXP500 Repli-bute

Offline Ausjacko

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 09:00:16 am »
thanks 66
I am pretty sure the can is stuffed; the silicone and covering the cracked end plate is a give-away.
As for only necessary in freezing locals, does Canberra fit? Seriously though, if I can get something to get it going, it helps seal the whole intake vacuum ciruit.
I read another post on the VM forum where this style was only used in 68 and they are pretty unusual.  A few blokes on that site were challenging the poster over there on whether it actually came wiht the car.  It would appear they were used on the 302's that had the thermactor (?) smog stuff fitted.
Cheers
Ian
1968 Fastback GT J-code
1967 GTA S-code coupe - 'Pink Bits'

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 01:35:10 pm »
There is a mob north of Brisbane who may fix them, the do reco Dissy advance cans. I think they are called Advanced diaphram solutions.

Offline mert

• Supercharged
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 07:44:28 pm »
It's OEM emissions control.  It was used on a variety of V8's in the late 60's, maybe even a bit later.  

Unless you are concerned about concours correct, take it off and test the thermostaic operation of the flap.  If that works, you'll be fine without it.  

Do you have a shop maual?  There are 4 or 5 pages dedicated to the testing, adjustment and opreational theory of the thermo flap and vaccum motor...
8R01S, 8R03S, 8R01C-Cal Special, 8F01X - EXP500 Repli-bute