1965 Ford Mustang Convertible PerTronix Ignitor III Electronic Ignition Installation

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 1965 Ford Mustang Convertible PerTronix Ignitor III Electronic Ignition Installation  (Read 41485 times)

CPU

Thought this may be of interest to a few of you....

The Most Popular Mustang Aftermarket Modification Just Got Better
From the September, 2010 issue of Mustang Monthly
By Jim Smart
Photography by Jim Smart

When PerTronix introduced the Ignitor electronic ignition retrofit roughly two decades ago, we were skeptical, thinking "How can you fit an entire electronic ignition system in this tiny little thing?" But we were amazed when our 289 started and idled better than ever with the PerTronix Ignitor thanks to a hotter, more precise spark. The original Ignitor marked the end of point bounce, frequent point adjustments, and even point replacement. No more disappointing performance-just solid dependability from your classic Ford distributor. And that's the way it has been with every Ignitor and Ignitor II ignition retrofit we've ever installed.
PerTronix has always been about innovation, trying things no one else had the courage to try. With the new Ignitor III, which features multiple spark discharge, you get increased spark energy for more power and better fuel economy. It comes with a high-resolution rev-limiter, which can be set by the user. In addition to the Ford distributor retrofit shown here, it's also available in a PerTronix plug-and-play distributor

And like every Ignitor to date, the Ignitor III offers a simple two-wire installation. It can be installed in a vintage Ford distributor in about 30 minutes.

The PerTronix Ignitor III electronic ignition retrofit kit is an ignition hot box without the box. It does everything aftermarket ignition amplifiers do except take up unnecessary space. It sports a built-in rev-limiter, multiple spark discharge, and simple two-wire installation.

This '65 Mustang convertible is a daily driver with 289-2V power. As you can see, the engine compartment is rough-the victim of shoddy repairs through the years. We're going to improve things with the all-new Ignitor III and a fresh set of PerTronix ignition wires.

To set a benchmark, Steve Miko of Mustangs Etc. checks our Mustang's state of tune before installing the Ignitor III. He learned that performance suffered due to a faulty centrifugal advance and an incorrectly installed distributor.

Vacuum advance is removed first in order to remove the breaker plate.

Breaker plate screws are removed next.

The factory breaker plate is removed next as an assembly. Put this away for safe keeping in a dry place.

The Ignitor III assembly replaces the factory breaker plate and is secured with two screws provided in the kit.

The ground wire, which is mandatory for proper operation, is secured here.

Installed, the Ignitor III should look like this.

A special countersunk breaker plate screw is provided in the kit to clear the moving breaker plate.

The vacuum advance is installed next after being checked for proper operation. Rate of advance will have to be adjusted when the engine is started and timing is checked

Connections are crimped, then protected with heat shrink tubing.

Complete the Ignitor III installation by connecting the red wire to the coil. Also, it is mandatory you not use the factory's pink resistor power lead for the Ignitor III because your engine will not start. Bypass the factory resistor wire with 12-gauge wire because the Ignitor III requires a full 12-volts to function. Bypass the resistor wire by going behind your Mustang's instrument panel and going directly to the power source.

Keeping Track of the Small Stuff
Ever dropped a small screw, cotter pin, or other tiny item and became lost in the pursuit? Use the element of magnetism to help protect small items. Old speaker magnets make great hardware catchers and they are virtually free. Most of us have old car speakers stashed under the work bench. If not, you can purchase a magnetic hardware pan from your local auto parts store.

Flame Thrower Coil
PerTronix also offers a new Flame Thrower HC ignition coil with 60,000 volts of energy-inducing power, which will light the mixture regardless of boost or compression ratio. With its High Current E-Core construction, the HC is durable enough to tolerate off-road conditions. Due to its high-tech design, the HC coil is more suitable for shock tower, fender apron, or firewall installation.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 09:37:53 am by CPU »

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
Good article. I have not tried this product but intend to. I do find it interesting that all three versions are available for purchase. So the question lies in which version is the best in general?   Or What choose one model over another?

Offline benzo

• Pony
Good read. I was looking at buying one of these but am more inclined to replace the whole distributor and coil with Pertronix goodies now. Only problem is that all of their packages seem to come with an ignition box, which I don't want.

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
    • http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/ozzyone_photos/66%20GT350H/?albumv
  • Name: Dale
I fitted the 65-73 MUSTANG & FORD PERTRONIX V-8 IGNITION KIT 1281 to my car on friday night. It was as simple as remove the air cleaner, unclip the distributor cap. Pull off the rotor button, unscrew the points & condensor, take off the wire to the coil. Press on the plastic sleeve onto the distributor shaft, screw down the new Pertronix unit where the points was, set the air gap with plastic gauge supplied, refit rotor button & cap & air cleaner assy. Connect the two wires to the coil.....Job done in under 5 mins.checked the timing & was spot on still.....fired up instantly, put over 300 miles on it over the weekend..........two thumbs up..:thumb::thumb:
Paint by IMAGE CLASSIC CARS
build thread...http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,14043.0.html

Offline Envy 68

• Worked
G'day 66 Emberglo Coupe, where can I purchase the item and how much??

Regards

Mark
SALUTE!!  To those who have given their lives doing their job.

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
Mark I got mine on Evilbay.....this is the link to what I bought.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230538855033&viewitem=

Mate it was dead easy to fit....the only thing I didnt add to the above post was that I decided to cut the two wires down a little shorter to neaten up the installation , plus I put some black shrink wrap over the two wires to keep it a little more stock looking. Also the unit I bought was half the size of the one shown in the original post, much more compact, & much simpler to install, anyone could fit it.

Offline Envy 68

• Worked
 Thanks for that!!  Glad you said anyone.....because I'm that anyone  :hope:  LOL

Offline bridgo65

• Thoroughbred
I think I shall order one tonight - they look terrific.  :rub:

Offline Envy 68

• Worked
Quote from: 66 EMBERGLO COUPE link=topic=12079.msg133732#msg133732
I fitted the 65-73 MUSTANG & FORD PERTRONIX V-8 IGNITION KIT 1281 to my car on friday night. It was as simple as remove the air cleaner, unclip the distributor cap. Pull off the rotor button, unscrew the points & condensor, take off the wire to the coil. Press on the plastic sleeve onto the distributor shaft, screw down the new Pertronix unit where the points was, set the air gap with plastic gauge supplied, refit rotor button & cap & air cleaner assy. Connect the two wires to the coil.....Job done in under 5 mins.checked the timing & was spot on still.....fired up instantly, put over 300 miles on it over the weekend..........two thumbs up..:thumb::thumb:

Ordered one today, awaiting delivery, hope it goes in as simply as yours did  :bow:

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
IF YOU ORDERED THE KIT 1281.............YOU COULD FIT IT WHILE YOUR ASLEEP:cheers:

Offline Envy 68

• Worked
I did....so I look forward to sleep working LOL

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
ENVY 68.................how did you get on with your installation.:thumb:

Offline Envy 68

• Worked
G'day 66 EC,  Haven't received it from America yet, meaning to chase it up, as I have paid for it!!:shrug:

Thanks for being interested, will keep you posted.:thumb:

Offline beancounter

• Thoroughbred
please post pics

Offline 67 GTA

• Thoroughbred
They have a rep here in Bayswater who was very helpful, I just got a kit and coil, I'll have a go at fitting it over the weekend :)

Offline Ausjacko

• Worked
I fitted the Ignitor III and Flamethrower coil to the old girl before Christmas.  Purchased from Jegs after H accepted a USD70 postage fee! Still cheaper than Aust mind you.

After searching high and low for the dreaded pink resistor wire (without luck I might add), I ran a red wire from behind the ignition to the connector up near the firewall. All I found was the pink resistor wire going to the tacho :bandhead:  

In any event, she fired right up - after a nervous few minutes of cranking before realising I had not reconnected the three-pin connector on the engine side of the firewall.  Now need to reset the timing and idle mixture as she is obviously getting a much better spark.  ONly issue now is that the tacho has decided it is time for a rest-doh!

Just in case, (and on the back of the Pertronix horror stories and the guy in the yellow mustang at the 4th of July do)  I have kept the points and ballast resistor in the boot- you never know when those resistors and diodes in the module will take a holiday.

Thanks Ashley for the idea and Mustang Monthly for the article.  
1968 Fastback GT J-code
1967 GTA S-code coupe - 'Pink Bits'

Offline 65gtfasty

• Worked
i found this page to explains the "pink resistor wire" part in detail
Pink resistor wire

Offline Veronica

• Pony
  • Old Fords need love, just like everybody else
    • The Care and Feeding ofPonies
I had a Pertronix Ignitor in my car for a couple of years and didn't have any problems with it, but, I went back to using the points/condensor a while back. The problem was not with the Pertronix component, though. I used to carry the points and stuff in the glove box for 'just in case' and finally decided that this was silly and to use what I understand and trust. The only criticism that I've ever heard about the Pertronix stuff is that it is sensitive to electrical spikes. If you have to jump start your car because of a dead battery, the Pertronix unit does not like that, and might not survive the experience. But, the installation really is as simple as 66 Hertz described, and even easier if you have a dual point, centrifugal advance distributor, like a K code. Then you just remove the two screws that hold the mounting plate in the distributor and snatch the entire assembly out, instead of taking the points and condensor out individually.  :smile01:
"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out"
Carl Sagan

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
I did a similar conversion 7 years ago but used the Crane xr-i kit. I was told that the Crane unit kept the timing more precise. It also has a built in rev limiter which I believe wasn't available with the Pertronix unit at the time. One criticism of the Crane kit is the crappy plastic bush they supply. Performance Ignition made me an aluminium one when they recurved my dissy.
The xr-i was worth every cent. Really smooth acceleration, more power & no pinging.

Evan.

Offline Le289

• Pony
I ordered this and a new coil from pertronix.com.au a couple of weeks ago. They were taking a long time to get their act together and were not very good at getting back to me.

The other day I decided to cancel this order and ordered a whole new distributor with the Pertonix Ignitor III installed from cjponyparts. Within about 6 hours I had received the email saying it has been shipped. Should arrive any time now.

I will putting this along with the new coil, leads etc. Also have a new carb and intake manifold as well as a new dress kit ready to go. Planning to do all of the work in one go to minimise off the road time.

I will update as soon as it is done.

Offline Stang 65

• Stallion
 :cry:

Hi Hertz,
an old thread i know but i am wondering why you chose the 1281 ignition kit instead of the PIII ? was there an advantage to choosing that, apart from price? perhaps wiring looks more stock or something?

I remember reading your build thread a long time back (great thread!) and someone asked you about changing the points (i cant remember now if you had or upgraded to dual points/dissy or if it was single) and you mentioned you like the car to remain as it was designed (just paraphrasing cant remember the exact quote). at the time i thought perhaps you had the car on hist oric rego and that may of been a consideration, although i have been told by one or two people that its not , out of sight out of mind type thing i guess . did you change the coil too, i read on their site they recommend changing the coil

mine runs perfect on the points atm, i get 10L/100 (better if i dont put the foot down heavy at all), runs like a top, but no doubt one day they will start giving me trouble. i remember back in the early 80s i changed my holden GTS to electronic (they weren't as small then) and it was great, whilst on my work ute which was not treated with much love, every few weeks (sometimes more often i'm sure) i'd use emery paper to clean em (to cheap to buy new ones all the time lol) and kept feeler gauge handy to set because more often than not its when you are on site in some out of the way place and its time to go home they would muck up, although i'd did it so often i use to do by eye and ear lol

anyway, i think i might like to upgrade (assuming we can in SA on HR), not sure if it would make mine run any better or save me fuel atm but perhaps save me some effort with tuning and $12 for points. but which model is best to get? i don't mind spending a bit more if it makes a difference 

cheers

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
I bought that unit because it was what was recommended to fit, I did not want to replace the coil, I wanted it to all look stock. It is still there and working fine, I no longer own that car. I didn't own a drag car of anything that ressembles a High Performance engine it was a stock C Code coupe so for my application it worked fine! The distributor in the car I have now is a full mechanical  advance dual point version which needs a different unit to the standard Mustang dizzy!

Offline Stang 65

• Stallion
ah, different car, thanks that clears it up somewhat! i couldn't tell by the post and of course you have the pic of the Hertz in your sig.

cheers

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
yeah mate , back then my signature pic was my coupe.....still getting around town, it was parked alongside me saturday night on the Zippel cruise!

Offline Stang 65

• Stallion
wow, i just looked up the zipple thing, i had no idea events like that were about. that would be eye candy for me..i was equally amazed a couple of months ago when in the evening i took my family to the pictures at the TT Plaza, we had booked and paid for tickets online. the car park just before dusk was for some unknown reason completely full (shops closed-except for theatre ). i had amazing luck and quickly got the only parking space left!...the whole complex was chock full of beautiful curved metal , heaps and heaps of american and plenty of good old aussie stuff too, blokes proud as punch rolling along , people with family onboard, kids cruising looking happy as larry sitting in the back practically waving to people as they drove by like queen Libby. i would have loved to just walk around looking at the cars and all but had to get to our booking. then one day some weeks ago i was reading this forum and saw one of your posts, i happen to click on the coming events link for the club in your sig and saw, only, the day before the club had some sort of special mustang show day at a ground in the Nth East. i was almost livid, said to my kids ah *bleep*, we could have gone and had a look at them (it would be interesting to see what others do and maybe pick up a tip or two) we were only sitting around home the day before which made it worse.

to get back on track with the topic .

if anyone has any advice on which version of ignition is best? Is the PIII not a good choice for a stock C code (please give a reason though), as just mentioned by hertz at the time he didnt want to upgrade the coil on his C code (i might like to keep original coil as well for HR in SA if i ever get around to doing it. but i am not sure if they are that picky, if it at least looks stock perhaps it doesn't matter, if i did have to change the coil so long as it didnt have to muck up the wiring etc might be ok (i'd like anything i ever do to this car to be reversible ), is it necessary to change coil with the PIII , sounds like it isn't with original P1 , although their web says it is, the same as the PIII

i may or may not ever do some engine work to it, engine appears to have a lifetime ahead of it without needing any work (very low K's). if i did and if i was cashed up i might have it blueprinted and balanced but it would only be, very mild, with emphasis on best fuel economy first (bet you guys dont hear that often). although i keep looking at the triple deuce carb option of the day and cant help wondering if that would still be economical providing i didn't put the foot down, and give some sort of kick in pants if you do. but i am no expert.

cheers