1965 Ford Mustang Convertible PerTronix Ignitor III Electronic Ignition Installation

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 1965 Ford Mustang Convertible PerTronix Ignitor III Electronic Ignition Installation  (Read 41486 times)

Offline scollist

• Worked
  • 65FB, 2017 GT
  • Name: Shane
Mine is an Ignitor II (I think - was on the car when I got it). 

The good thing is it also has a Pertronix Flamethrower coil in black - and it can be installed with the Flamethrower label pointing down towards the block and it then looks like an OEM coil.

Offline Speed Demon

• Worked
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Gonads
I too am going to have to get either a new dizzy or a new ignitor box in the electronic dizzy I have. The previous owner said that the ignitor box in the dizzy can sometimes go dead if it gets too hot.

Whats the difference between the 1281 version and the 1281DV version? I think the 1281DV version is for a dual point dizzy.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Pertronix/Pertronix-Ignitor-Kits/746414/10002/-1?itemPerPage=60&pno=1
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 11:22:56 pm by Speed Demon »

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
I too am going to have to get either a new dizzy or a new ignitor box in the electronic dizzy I have. The previous owner said that the ignitor box in the dizzy can sometimes go dead if it gets too hot.

Whats the difference between the 1281 version and the 1281DV version? I think the 1281DV version is for a dual point dizzy.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Pertronix/Pertronix-Ignitor-Kits/746414/10002/-1?itemPerPage=60&pno=1

the 1281 is for the standard single point mustang distributor.

you should not use your stock ignition wire or coil with it but many people do.

keep your points and tools to change them and a flashlite in your glove box in case ir goes out.

Offline Speed Demon

• Worked
  • I'm new here
Are you stalking me barnett468?  :bolt:

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
Are you stalking me barnett468?  :bolt:
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

not yet...your car just happens to have problems im familiar with fixing. 

did you check your carb thread yet?  :lmao:

Offline Speed Demon

• Worked
  • I'm new here
Yes just busy doing other stuff for other people atm.

Offline skinner36

• Worked
  • Name: John
  • Car: 1965 FB
My 65 mustang has been running a bit shabbily so I took it to the Mechanics for a tune-up. As it turns out, the existing distributor is one of those cheap Chinese electronic jobs and has decided to call it a day leaving me to look at what options I have for replacing it. The engine is a 289 A-code with an automatic transmission.

If I am replacing the distributor I wouldn’t mind trying to have the car look as original as possible but I would also like it to have a bit of up and go if I can get it. (I don’t want the world do I?)

I was thinking of purchasing an original distributor and installing one of these Pertronix Electronic Ignition systems but I have heard mixed things about them so I am not sure what to do. Do you think this is the best way to go or would I be better off purchasing a brand new electronic distributor?   

I would really appreciate any thoughts and opinions on this.

Thanks for the help,

John

Offline aussie trev

• Worked
  • you must have toys
  • Name: trevor
Its a great setup if you want to look original. I haven't had a problem with mine. You can buy a old dissy reconditioned with the pertonix included on ebay for around  $100-120 US

Offline mojocoops

• Worked
I went with the full replacement distributor from Pertronix, and a flame thrower coil; looks stock and I've had no issues since.  Good spark and consistent :)

Offline 68Coupe

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Andrew
I installed a Pertronix I in my original dizzy; an excellent stealth upgrade and have had zero problems. Make sure you upgrade your coil to the Pertronix Flame Thrower.   :thumb:

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
  • Name: John
I fitted the 65-73 MUSTANG & FORD PERTRONIX V-8 IGNITION KIT 1281 to my car on friday night. It was as simple as remove the air cleaner, unclip the distributor cap. Pull off the rotor button, unscrew the points & condensor, take off the wire to the coil. Press on the plastic sleeve onto the distributor shaft, screw down the new Pertronix unit where the points was, set the air gap with plastic gauge supplied, refit rotor button & cap & air cleaner assy. Connect the two wires to the coil.....Job done in under 5 mins.checked the timing & was spot on still.....fired up instantly, put over 300 miles on it over the weekend..........two thumbs up..:thumb::thumb:

Hi Dale,i know this is an older post but has just surfaced again... How would the original tach work in my 65GT without the pink resistor wire connected?

Cheers mate

Offline Dave68

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Dave
Gents,

I was just after some advice and recommendation regarding electronic ignition.

I want to install a module that suites my 68 390 big block engine.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance, Dave