Buyers Remorse or Unreal Expectations?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Buyers Remorse or Unreal Expectations?  (Read 9856 times)

Offline rocket

• Please visit our new Website
  • Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« on: June 24, 2010, 07:44:34 pm »

I know of a chap looking for a good 65-66 Coupe. Does not need to be a full glamour, but preferably already Registered in this State.

Price range is up to around $20k.

No rustbuckets thanks!

If you own or know of such a car please send me a private message and i will put you in contact with him.

Rocket.
Check out our new Website

http://www.imageclassiccars.com.au/

Offline zav007

• Stallion
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 08:01:17 pm »
Gonna be a hard find for 20k and no rust.

You can have mine for $29,900

66 Mustang over 5 year ground up rotisserie restoration.  Original 59K mile car. Vehicle was completely disassembled down to a bare shell. It media blasted, cleaned and painted inside and out. A brand new complete wiring harness was installed front to back. Then a very detailed time consuming build was done.
Completely rebuilt straight 6/200 engine, fully machined with all new internals with less than 1 hour run time on it.  C4 automatic transmission completely rebuilt.  Rear end completely rebuilt.  Drive train has less than 1 mile.
Every component in suspension is brand new, ie: front & rear springs, control arms, ball joints, tie rods.  Upgraded with polyurethane bushings and larger sway bar. Brand new brakes, pads, hardware all new lines both steel and rubber front to back. Brand new exhaust from front to back.  Brand new gas tank with all new lines front to back.  4 brand new sticker tires that still have the blue on the white walls less than 1 mile.
Complete new interior, dash,instrument panel, glove box, brand new stereo system fitted in glove box with ipod connectivity, new seats, carpet, door panels, package tray, etc...
Excellent solid straight body.  Brand new bumpers, headlights, tail lights, chrome trim, gas cap, emblems, etc...
This is essentially a brand new turn key 66 Mustang.  If you ever wanted a new one this is as close as you will get.
12 months Rego & fitted with custom plates NY-1966
This is a true collectors item that is exactly how it left the showroom floor in 1966
[IMG=700x525]http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab65/zav007/DSC00580.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG=700x525]http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab65/zav007/DSC00579.jpg[/IMG]

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
    • http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/ozzyone_photos/66%20GT350H/?albumv
  • Name: Dale
Paint by IMAGE CLASSIC CARS
build thread...http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,14043.0.html

Offline ozford

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 08:21:28 pm »
get in contact with shermat and he'll prolly find you a nice vert or fastback for that money !:hand::thumb:

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 10:44:18 pm »

Thanks for the replies fellas.

zav007, $30k is well over his budget - he is stretching to get slightly over $20k, but your car looks great.

We could have supplied an excellent RHD 64.5 coupe for $28K including Rego, but it is above his maximum available funds.

Dale, i have seen the car you linked to - but dismissed it due to the vinyl roof. From past experience i would never buy a 40 year old car with a vinyl roof because the metal under it will be swiss cheese.

The person interested is looking to become a participant in the classic car scene, but does not have the time or funds to do a full restoration. He is realistic in his expectations. I am hoping to link him up with somebody who has a Mustang already registered in SA. Needs to be a V8 and have reasonable body and paint. I believe he can do a bit of mechanical work if necessary.

Please keep those replies coming.

Rocket.

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 09:18:44 am »
Rocket I think you might find it is Vintage Burgundy with a White painted roof. :thumb:

Offline 2+266

• Worked
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 11:14:00 am »
was toying with letting the fastback go but not for that sort of money,bit unsure of prices of late,i suppose its what somebody is willing to pay at the end of the day ! nice pony by the way zav :thumb:

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 09:06:20 am »
2+266
 I know someone who would probably be interested in your Fastback............... He is in Adelaide & has been looking for a Mustang for some time. In fact he's off to Melbourne tomorrow for a look at a few cars.

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 11:37:53 pm »

The  Fastback owned by 2+266 is a bloody ripper car too!

I told the chap looking for a Mustang that i would post some photos of the 64.5 Coupe. he has a link to this Thread so will post them here.

We just received the car back from the Engineer. he has now approved it. Our drama with the Draglink was overcome with the help from Rod at Pony Parts. He had some Draglinks specially made a few years back and was kind enough to supply one for Jeremy. Lucky they are good friends.

Here you go Mark -

[IMG=700x468]http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg34/rocket67/Mustangsnmore/249.jpg[/IMG]

Rocket.

Offline Rock65

• Worked
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 10:14:58 am »
Quote from: ozford link=topic=11141.msg116218#msg116218
get in contact with shermat and he'll prolly find you a nice vert or fastback for that money !:hand::thumb:
Sorry ozford but no such thing as a nice vert or fastback out of the states for $20AUD.

Offline zav007

• Stallion
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 01:00:23 pm »
if you buy something for 20k expect to spend another 5-10k on it. might as well spend that bit extra and buy a restored unit, preferably a rotisserie restored one.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 01:43:35 pm »
Quote from: zav007 link=topic=11141.msg116581#msg116581
if you buy something for 20k expect to spend another 5-10k on it. might as well spend that bit extra and buy a restored unit, preferably a rotisserie restored one.

Try closer to $30K to spend after buying the $20K car. It will need paint, there goes $15K probably engine & ancillary stuff (radiator etc) $5-7K at least, get the trans rebuilt, exhaust, suspension rebuild, brake upgrade, wheels & tyres. It does not take long to add up.

Anyone thinking (that has no mechanical background) they can get into a really nice early Mustang coupe for under at least $40K is heading for disaster. Do not go into anything under capitalised.

Can happen, but a lifetime of playing with cars tells me not often.

Reality is I am getting tired of seeing a constant stream of people finding out they have bought the wrong thing.

If you ever consider a "restored" car, then make sure it was built in Australia (or NZ) & is available for a thorough inspection by someone that knows these car intimately.

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 01:57:57 pm »
Quote from: ozbilt link=topic=11141.msg116584#msg116584

Reality is I am getting tired of seeing a constant stream of people finding out they have bought the wrong thing.

Who was it that said there's one born every minute?
Rick

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 02:44:04 pm »
Quote from: ponyride link=topic=11141.msg116585#msg116585
Quote from: ozbilt link=topic=11141.msg116584#msg116584

Who was it that said there's one born every minute?

Stems from here I believe...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There%27s_a_sucker_born_every_minute

Issue is these cars cost money to buy & maintain. Those coming into the hobby do not realize how much.  

Anyone that is thinking "cheap" will only get bitten as there is a lot of rubbish out there. Yes anything can be rebuilt/restored, but it usually takes "cubic dollars" to do it.

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2010, 02:55:08 pm »

Would not exactly say "there is one born every minute"" with Mustangs.

Probably more to do with unreal expectations. We look at the pretty photos of them and they look so nice. But when they arrive we realise that those pretty photos fail to show the multitude of problems in a 40 year old car.

We recently bought a 65 fastback that had been described as amazing. From 10 feet away it does look amazing. But look closely and the problems show up fairly quickly. We have learnt to expect this with these cars. Nothing that a bit of elbow grease, time and money can`t sort out. But a first time buyer would quickly become bewildered. ( I should also point out that we ARE happy with this purchase )

So i totally agree with Ozbuilt. Far better for inexperienced first time Mustang buyers to  see their car in the flesh before buying.

In this particular case - yes - the buyer should be prepared to spend 30K to buy a good clean Coupe, but he is aware that for 20k he will not buy a glamour and is prepared to spend money in the future to bring it up to standard.

Rocket.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2010, 02:58:33 pm »
Quote from: rocket link=topic=11141.msg116596#msg116596

Probably more to do with unreal expectations. We look at the pretty photos of them and they look so nice. But when they arrive we realise that those pretty photos fail to show the multitude of problems in a 40 year old car.

We recently bought a 65 fastback that had been described as amazing. From 10 feet away it does look amazing. But look closely and the problems show up fairly quickly. We have learnt to expect this with these cars. Nothing that a bit of elbow grease, time and money can`t sort out. But a first time buyer would quickly become bewildered. ( I should also point out that we ARE happy with this purchase )

So i totally agree with Ozbuilt. Far better for inexperienced first time Mustang buyers to  see their car in the flesh before buying.

In this particular case - yes - the buyer should be prepared to spend 30K to buy a good clean Coupe, but he is aware that for 20k he will not buy a glamour and is prepared to spend money in the future to bring it up to standard.

Rocket.

:agree: An educated buyer rarely goes wrong with a purchase.

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2010, 09:50:00 pm »

Rocket.

You're right Rocket, I wasn't having a go at people with Mustang-love in their eyes. The thing is there are plenty of shonks (here and in the U.S.) who live by the credo that there's a sucker born every minute and are always trying to take the hard earned off car buyers, especially those who fall for the gloss and lovely photos and are blinded by lust. I have walked away from many that I've had inspected that appeared to be good honest cars (not even bargains) and I could have easily been duped, I still might be one day but I hope not to. I'm amazed when I talk to people who bought cars only off photos and got conned. There can be some tough and expensive lessons out there.
Rick

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2010, 01:12:54 pm »
Quote from: ponyride link=topic=11141.msg116735#msg116735

Rocket.

You're right Rocket, I wasn't having a go at people with Mustang-love in their eyes. The thing is there are plenty of shonks (here and in the U.S.) who live by the credo that there's a sucker born every minute and are always trying to take the hard earned off car buyers, especially those who fall for the gloss and lovely photos and are blinded by lust. I have walked away from many that I've had inspected that appeared to be good honest cars (not even bargains) and I could have easily been duped, I still might be one day but I hope not to. I'm amazed when I talk to people who bought cars only off photos and got conned. There can be some tough and expensive lessons out there.

i am more amazed when someone buys a car from photo's and DOES'NT get duped......

a local guy just bought in a car from photo's and evilbay and it was exactly as described......:omg: he is one of the few i have heard about in a long time

Offline eri67

• Blue Printed
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2010, 06:02:54 pm »
I brought mine(67 c code coupe) of ebay, a couple of years ago now, better than described?...yes, lucky?....no, just asked lots of questions, did my research, and didnt buy the first junker that came along, out of interest I payed 10k and got the car registered after putting in a new fuel tank and putting a carby kit through it....

Offline 65muzzy

• Worked
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2010, 07:05:32 pm »
I believe all cars cost money.  Difference is what you start off with.  A good friend of mine bought a 3k cortina, to muck around with for a while.  The finished product owes him 60K.  Great car goes very hard and runs 10.1.  Not bad for a 6.  Now trying to sell for around 30k.

Offline 2+266

• Worked
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2010, 08:59:37 pm »
thanks for the kind words rocket:thumb:    lots of thanks must go to phill beresford for helping me out with most of the parts required for resto which included some nice NOS stuff  too,gee i,m getting all sentimental now and she hasn't even gone yet :cry:

Offline zav007

• Stallion
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2010, 09:04:14 pm »
that is one awesome looking fastback, me wants :smile01::fantastic:

Offline chrisevo

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2010, 09:20:10 pm »
Quote from: Rock65 link=topic=11141.msg116562#msg116562
Sorry ozford but no such thing as a nice vert or fastback out of the states for $20AUD.

I agree, try and buy local if you can - I have seen some and heard of a number of disappointed buyers from OS. There's no doubt some have been lucky importing (but not for $20K), but its nice to inspect personally before you part with your cash.
Good luck!!

Offline Thirsty428

• Blue Printed
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2010, 03:25:46 pm »
Bought both mine from OZ.

You can describe in detail as much and take plenty of photos all you like, but at the end of the day, your version of your standard of a car is not always the overseas sellers same version. In other words, I may think my interior is immaculate, but another mustang lover may think its crap!!

Offline ozford

• Worked
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2010, 05:45:30 pm »
Quote from: Rock65 link=topic=11141.msg116562#msg116562

hey where talkin about our Sherrmatt here:hand:
if anyone can find a bargin he can :thumb: