1968 coupe

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 1968 coupe  (Read 3932 times)

Offline The Holstein Kid

• P Plates
1968 coupe
« on: April 24, 2010, 10:50:20 pm »
Hi all,

I've been reading / researching for a month now and finally logged-in to the group. From what I can see out there in internet land, there seems to be a number of 66 & 67 Coupes out there, but not a great many 68 Coupes. I saw a photo of a member's car on the MOCA site and after emailing the president, he was kind enough to inform me that this Mustang was a 1968 Coupe with GT options. A real black beauty in my opinion.

Is a '68 Coupe with GT options a fairly standard vehicle to get hold of, or is this a rarity? I've looked at production numbers for that year and they seem to have been manufactured a little less than par with prior years... http://classicponycars.com/production.html

I wouldn't mind a hardtop with a bench seat but that seems to be a little more targeted and even less available. I'm going through the "weighing up my options" process regarding local or otherwise and planning my assault on a Mustang post Christmas.

I missed the MOCA NSW 46th Anniversary Pony Round up as my daughter had her 1st birthday party the same day but we're heading to the Entrance on the 16th May to have a look see then. I love fastbacks but not sure how practical that would be for my two kids in the back, with no side windows to look out of and the sun belting down on them through the rear glass. That's just an observation as I've never actually driven one, but I seem to have been overtaken with the desire to have a Mustang that looks & sounds good.

Many thanks, I'd appreciate any views....HK :o

Offline tim_morrison82

• Blue Printed
    • http://s806.photobucket.com/home/tim_morrison82/allalbums
1968 coupe
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 10:59:13 pm »
Hi There! nice to meet you! i have a 68 coupe with bench seat. its a project, and very slow moving, but i do some little bits every now and then.

its not a GT though

production numbers were down due to a strike in september 67. i think it lasted 3 weeks!

this is my car
http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=7840

Offline stormin

• Blue Printed
1968 coupe
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 11:01:50 pm »
Should be a few 68s at The Entrance show.You are right about the rear seat in a fastback .Sun is hot through the back glass.Even when tinted.
Stormin

Offline 68pony

• Worked
1968 coupe
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 11:22:09 pm »
Buy a convertible the kids will love it , my 11 year old and 3 year old love cruising with the top down, in the summer we only go topless on sat nights or if we go out for a breky cruise, cruisn in winter in the middle of the day is perfect, before you buy go for a ride in a coupe and vert thats what i did the vert won hands down, cruisn on the freeway with the wind in ya face , just awsome.
cheers chris. ps I didn't really have a choice , the wife said convertible or nothing, I'm such a whimp , I gave in to my wifes wishes. :+  photo below is at the blow hole kiama was in the middle of may 2009 and was a magic day for a vert.

Offline The Holstein Kid

• P Plates
1968 coupe
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 07:04:02 pm »
Thanks for the welcome and the encouragement. There's something enticing & old school about a bench seat. I wonder if you can have one made and fitted?

I never really considered a convertible but it sounds dreamy on a winter's day. I think The Entrance show will really help me. Can't get the 68 Coupe out of my head at this stage though.

Regards, HK

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
1968 coupe
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 10:41:49 pm »
Welcome......I really must warn you.....owning a mustang can be a pain in the back, especially if you go on a long cruise...especially if you got a bench seat, maybe that's why they weren't so popular. luvhev
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
1968 coupe
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 10:53:46 pm »
There were 356,324 of 67 hardtops built (all factories) & 249,448 of 68 hardtops built (all factories).

That is because of the strike at the end of 67 which was the start of the 68 model year's production. Something they did not recover from for years after.

That also accounts for the running changes in the 68 model (marker lights, removal of dash & pillar pads, etc) & also some of the parts that were on the 69 pre-production cars that never made the production cars.

Offline 68pony

• Worked
1968 coupe
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 02:04:14 pm »
Here is a list of production numbers on  all models in 1968 http://www.carmemories.com/cgi-bin/viewexperience.cgi?experience_id=371

Offline The Holstein Kid

• P Plates
1968 coupe
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 11:02:39 pm »
Thanks for the links & info guys. I'm interested in the comment you made Hev. Are Mustangs generally comfortable to drive without bucket seats? I imagine that going on a cruise or long drive would be a common thing and although it would look slick to be in a cool Coupe, it would be a shame to be uncomfortable...HK

Offline The Holstein Kid

• P Plates
1968 coupe
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 11:04:59 pm »
ps. love the photos of your red Coupe, is that a 67?

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
1968 coupe
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 07:57:34 am »
Originally posted by The Holstein Kid
Thanks for the links & info guys. I'm interested in the comment you made Hev. Are Mustangs generally comfortable to drive without bucket seats? I imagine that going on a cruise or long drive would be a common thing and although it would look slick to be in a cool Coupe, it would be a shame to be uncomfortable...HK

I was surprised how comfortable they are. Just drove from Perth to Adelaide and back and the seats were fine. Getting in and out is a bit more of a challenge though.
cheers
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100