DONE my head swap!

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: DONE my head swap!  (Read 12150 times)

Offline MILD67

• Worked
  • Name: Rob
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2009, 11:37:26 am »
anyone want to offer there services to help adjust rockers? im having trouble.
:_:_:_:_:_:_:_:_:_:_:_:_:_:_:_:_:_:_:_:_:_:_:_:_:_:_:_:_:_:_:_
Look at your car. Now back to mine. Now back to yours. Now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine. But if you stopped buying dodgy cars and bought an 67, yours could be like mine. Look down. Back up. Where are you? ...You're on MOCA, reading the signature your signature could be like! Anything is possible when your car looks like my car...................

Offline 2233

• Blue Printed
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2009, 12:23:28 pm »
The question is do you have the proper tool?

Back off the nut, adjust the bit in the middle (mine where an allen key arrangement) untill you have zero clearance and then tighten the nut.

Make sure the cam is on the back of lobe to ensure the valve is completely closed.

Offline MILD67

• Worked
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2009, 12:27:12 pm »
ill give it another go and see.
Look at your car. Now back to mine. Now back to yours. Now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine. But if you stopped buying dodgy cars and bought an 67, yours could be like mine. Look down. Back up. Where are you? ...You're on MOCA, reading the signature your signature could be like! Anything is possible when your car looks like my car...................

Offline gary70au

• Thoroughbred
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2009, 01:06:06 pm »
 Have a read of this, might be of assistance.

Rocker adjustment

Gary

Offline MILD67

• Worked
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2009, 10:02:15 pm »
thanks gary, i think iv done it right.
all finished and filled the water and done a pressure test and found a leak from the inlet, so off it came, cleaned it up and fitted new gaskets only too test again anf find another leak from inlet :_:_:_;];].
so off to get new gaskets 2moro and prey no more leaks, the manifold and heads are all straight by my steel rule.
so for now its back to :2 and sleep on it.

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2009, 12:13:49 am »
I never use manifold gaskets, as they are always prone to leaking.

I use Permatex Blue silastic around the ports, and between them, and around the water jacket, and across the valley. Just make sure 2 people drop the manifold down squarely.
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline MILD67

• Worked
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2009, 10:52:39 am »
thanks blkpny, ill give that a go today and let you know how i go

Offline MILD67

• Worked
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2009, 12:19:50 pm »
how long before i put water in if it says dries in 1 hour and cures in 24?

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2009, 02:57:37 pm »
I the port gaskets but not the front and rear oil gaskets. If the heads have been faced heavily the manifold won't line up with the heads, so just use Blue Max on the ends so the manifold can sit where it wants to. Put blue max around the water ports on the  inlet gaskets an it will be fine.

Offline MILD67

• Worked
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2009, 04:26:59 pm »
all done and ran in YAY! :a:a
but the rollers are still noisey, do i have to adjust when hot or cold?
its all a learning curve for me

Offline 2233

• Blue Printed
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2009, 04:36:12 pm »
An how does it go?

Offline MILD67

• Worked
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2009, 04:46:09 pm »
it has a nice lumpy idle, have not driven until i get the lifters quiet.
and the auto started to leak at the dipstick, so ill have to fix that as well.

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2009, 05:49:35 pm »
Lifters should be done cold (was it a solid?) with feeler guage.
Custom Mustangs
For Email CLICK HERE
Signature Sponsor

Offline MILD67

• Worked
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2009, 06:18:48 pm »
hydrolic cam and lifters

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2009, 10:15:28 am »
2 ways to do it, with the valve close adjust them till there is no slack in the push rod but you can turn it, second way and most effective is once the cam is bedded, get an old rocker cover,cut the top out and instal it. Run the engine tighten one rocker at a time back them off till they rattle, then down till it misses, then back them off till the cylinder comes back and then a bit more.

Offline MILD67

• Worked
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2009, 05:28:22 pm »
ok, done rockers again and still a little noisey, never had em before so i dont know how noisey they should be.
serviced the auto and now gotta cook dinner for the children as the missus is at work making money, so ill go for a drive after dinner.

Offline MILD67

• Worked
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2009, 07:58:26 pm »
went for a little drive and the rockers are to noisey, if i cant fix it i think ill take it somewhere to get done, anyone know of somewhere near frankston?
i was told to try pitlane in rosella st frankston, anyone tried them?

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2009, 08:23:04 pm »
CVE Performance in Carrum Downs can do it, Call Paul 0447 351 460
He is in McKormicks RD

www.CVEPerformance.com
Custom Mustangs
For Email CLICK HERE
Signature Sponsor

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2009, 08:50:34 pm »
Mild 67 like I said with the engine running, tighten them one at a time till it misses then back them off till the cylinder comes on and then a bit more.

Offline MILD67

• Worked
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2009, 08:53:36 pm »
thanks, i found out why they got noiser, two studs broke off causing number 3 inlet and exhaust rockers came off.  :_
what can cause this? did i do them to tight?
and what are my rockers called? they are in pairs that bolt onto a stud.
are they stud, pedistal or whatever?

Offline MILD67

• Worked
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2009, 09:05:15 pm »
where on mckormicks rd? i thought thats all residential?

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2009, 09:11:28 pm »
Are they screw in studs? if they are just replace them. It they are press you'll have get them out then tap for screw in's.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2009, 09:12:38 pm »
Did it go ok till it broke the studs. I'm thinking you may have the wrong length push rods.

Offline MILD67

• Worked
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2009, 09:13:31 pm »
im not to sure, i think they are pressed in, as a screw in one would have a spanner head on the base?

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
DONE my head swap!
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2009, 09:07:51 am »
You really should have screw ins and guide plates for rollers, some times the rocker are too deep and hit the stud pedastal. I suspect this is your issue. You'll probably need to pull the ehads off and have them fitted with screw ins + push rod guide plates. depending on what rockers you have. You can buy Comp cams magnums that will run with out guide plates, and you could just replcae the 2 studs in place.