Are you going to put these gearshifters on?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Are you going to put these gearshifters on?  (Read 133513 times)

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2009, 05:02:44 pm »
Rick,

How was the service with Laurel Mountain ? Shipping prices ? Do they ship USPS ?
Everytime I ask them for a shipping price on their eBay items they never respond. Probably have to call them I suppose.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline rickchampion

• Blue Printed
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2009, 06:11:32 pm »
they seemed good to me,
I reckon  shipping to AUS would kill it was 65 us just to miami

Offline derwin66

• Blue Printed
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2009, 06:46:26 pm »
Frank I have bought a lot of stuff of Laurel Mountain, their prices are good, their service is bad.  I bought about 3-4 g of stuff off them and it went through well.  I have also bought a few small things of them on e-bay and they were not cheap for postage.  I now wait for a friend or two to go to the state and get it sent to their hotel and then postage within the US is cheap
65 T code coupe.
Blown 302. Heidts suspension, tricked C4
Gear vendors overdrive, RRS rack and pinion
Street or track roller perches adjustable struts.
60 F100.
Warm 289, AOD

Offline johnny_b

• Worked
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2009, 07:27:05 pm »
Originally posted by shaunp
So what's it costing to fix, $20k ?

But at the end of the day its still a 67 FB. These will always be popular amongst the Mustang fraternity and the uneducated plebs out there. So if Stanglover has to unfortunately sell in the near future he will get his money back and then some;2:(
Real AUSSIES use a Knife and Fork.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2009, 08:31:14 am »
Originally posted by johnny_b
Originally posted by shaunp
So what's it costing to fix, $20k ?

But at the end of the day its still a 67 FB. These will always be popular amongst the Mustang fraternity and the uneducated plebs out there. So if Stanglover has to unfortunately sell in the near future he will get his money back and then some;2:(

Don't get me wrong I was just curiuos, as to the the cost of panel work. I've seen a 68 coupe in simlar condition run to mid $30k, that's all. You don't make money normaly on classics(unless you paid $3k for a HO in 76) so what you spend matters little as long as you are happy.

Offline stangLover

• Blue Printed
    • http://www.eleanorforhire.com.au
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2009, 02:29:57 pm »
What, even for an Eleanor? this is interesting, say even in total building a mild Eleanor costs about $60k. I haven't seen an Eleanor sell for less than $100k. I ofcourse could be wrong....
So how much would a non matching numbers Eleanor be worth these days?
Lets' say its had everything mine is having, ie. new floor, new roof, new qtrs, new door skins, etc etc...new deluxe interior and a new paintjob (lets just say original pepper grey with black strip Eleanor colors), complete eleanor kit....no major upgrade of brakes, suspension or motor and gearbox. what would that be worth to the Eleanor fanatics out there?

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2009, 03:46:59 pm »
Bas, being an "Eleanor" doesn't make it rare & collectable IMO. An Eleanor is a fictional character just like Humphrey B. Bear. I'd personally expect an original unmolested fastback to fetch bigger dollars. I suppose that people who have built "Eleanors" would place a higher price tag on their cars to recoup what they've spent in creating them. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against modifying cars (mine's certainly not original). I have no doubt that yours will be absolutely fantastic when it's finished! I guess as long as there are buyers out there that like the customised look, you'll hopefully be able to get your money back. It's great that you're building a car that YOU will enjoy. As Shaun said, you normally don't make money on these cars anyway.

Good luck with your dream car.

Evan.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2009, 03:51:02 pm »
A good body is a good body, dosen't matter if it cost you $38k to fix a rough one or $10k to paint a good one, really though a body with the good original panels is worth more then a rebuilt car in my view. By the time you replace chrome, rubbers glass etc , the car will cost you plenty, I don't know what you paid for it to start with, but by the time you pay someone $1Ok for a quick engine, plus what ever suspension and gearbox ( tremec etc will cost you $5k to fit) wheels etc etc you decide to run, the car will cost you $60-80K I reckon easy if not more. If you spend good money on the body and paint you can't nickle and dime on the rest. The big dollar Elenors cost, because they are big dollars to build simple as, and they won't have a 289 + 3 speed. They'll  have 400hp + 5 speed

You don't make money on this stuff unless you are doing all the work yourself, even then if count your labour you'll be behind. You don't do this to make money, you do it because you love the car and intend to keep it and enjoy it. That's why you build them how you want them and how you think you will enjoy them. You make money out of charging people to build them.
 Don't get me wrong you are doing the right thing here, you are fixing the car properly, so that it will last for years, there is no point in doing things by 1/2, totally support you (body  kit a side), Just don't kid youself you'll get your money back, in hurry if you need to sell it, that's all. I've been building old cars since the mid 80's,  some pretty flash cars to like E type jags etc, I don't pay for labour on paint & panel, mechanical. Ive made cash but really it probably just pays for the labour in real terms. Build youself, the car you want and can justify cost wise and be happy, cause when you driving a kicker car you'll forget what it owes you trust me. But unless your lucky you won' get your loot back. Just think of turning the tyres in 3rd gear and you'll be fine.

Offline eri67

• Blue Printed
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2009, 06:15:34 pm »
Good advice Shaun and Evan:(

Offline BLU302

• Worked
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2009, 10:07:30 pm »
Very good advice.
My car cost good money and was in pretty good shape - body was excellent even though I've had a couple of repairs(sagging doors,rust and panel fit).Unfortunately I'm not very skilled at this type of work but I'm good at what I do for a living so can afford to pay good people.Point is I've spent heaps and plan to spend more but I don't think that I'll make money out of it.
Since I've started I've had a ball driving around with a great bunch of people in the club,my wife enjoys the social aspect,my kids(21,24 and 25) think the car is great and I love the car.I reckon I've got back every cent I've spent in enjoyment and learnt a bit at the same time.
Bob

Offline stangLover

• Blue Printed
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2009, 11:32:12 am »
:i.... never bought the car thinking i'll fix it and sell it for profit.......definately bought for the love of the stang!!
Having said that, to all coupe owners please do not be offended. But in general don't fastbacks fetch a whole lot more than coupes? i'm thinking obviously not from experience that purchasing  coupe for 30grand and fixing it is never going to get you ur money back, but a different story for a sought after fastback?! .... just my thoughts.....

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2009, 12:18:41 pm »
The rarer the car, the higher the price. They made alot more Coupes than anything else. Because there are so many to choose from at any given time, the prices will naturally be lower.

Evan.

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2009, 01:07:39 pm »
When you see a company that sells kits such as this that converts a 69-70 coupe to a fastback, then it says something about the value of fastbacks.

http://www.classicautomotiverestoration.com/mustang%20kit.html

The list of replacement panels is long, so I dont think it would be a cheap conversion.

Saw it in Mustang Monthly and also Muscle Car Review mags.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline Bumblebee

• Blue Printed
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2009, 01:28:12 pm »
Ev, don't ever say that about Humphrey B Bear again!

Cheers Bee
Cheers Bee

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2009, 07:31:17 pm »
Originally posted by stangLover
:i.... never bought the car thinking i'll fix it and sell it for profit.......definately bought for the love of the stang!!
Having said that, to all coupe owners please do not be offended. But in general don't fastbacks fetch a whole lot more than coupes? i'm thinking obviously not from experience that purchasing  coupe for 30grand and fixing it is never going to get you ur money back, but a different story for a sought after fastback?! .... just my thoughts.....

You may get square if your luckly. The thing is going to owe you $60K by the time it's painted and back together. I reckon that would be what it's worth. They are only worth what someone will pay on the day, not the $100k they get advertised for.

Offline GT Sally

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW member since 2008
  • Name: Gazza
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2009, 08:42:52 pm »
So true shaunp! You get square with the value of the enjoyment over & over & yes it's worth what the buyer is willing to pay, but who would want to sell? (unless of course one is forced by the current economic situation)!
If you haven't grown up & matured by the age of 55, (65 now & nothin has changed) YOU DON'T HAVE TOO.....Gary

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2009, 10:01:42 pm »
Originally posted by Bumblebee
Ev, don't ever say that about Humphrey B Bear again!

Cheers Bee

:w my sincere apologies Bee. I don't know what I was thinking. ;x

Evan.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2009, 12:19:54 pm »
When there is no money around they are all just old cars, no matter if they are a Mustang or Jag GTHO. I bet there a few blokes who paid $500k + for XYs licking the wounds about now, when their supa has gone through the floor. I feel great with my $9k 67 A code.

Offline stangLover

• Blue Printed
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2009, 01:14:31 pm »
No updates....just waiting for sheet metal to be delivered to Steve. I think that's when the real work begins :(

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2009, 05:48:20 pm »
Hopefully the bits will arrive tommorow or Wedensday.Then we can begin the fun:(

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2009, 08:20:50 pm »
Begin the fun!, looks like you've got some measuring and pulling to do on the front end before you get to carried away:(

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2009, 10:02:51 am »
Once the parts arrive it will be squared up on the car-o-liner to get everything where it needs to be. Then we will un pick the rails & skirts to do the floor & firewall. Rails & skirts back on with sections replaced as needed. Then move on to the qtrs & beaver etc. Then we can look at the Eleanor kit. Should keep a few of the boys occupied for quite a while.

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2009, 10:13:42 am »
Originally posted by SUSPECT
Originally posted by stangLover

Hey Bas, Yes fastbacks do demand higher prices for the above mentioned reasons... the fact is, they are more desirable to more people.. there's a reason Dynacorn dont do coupe bodies.. and hollywood has certainly helped jack up the prices.

Agree, but dont forget Dynacorn now do a 69 Fastback and I think also 70 fastback body which has nothing really to do with Hollywood.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2009, 12:01:20 pm »
Originally posted by soc123_au
Once the parts arrive it will be squared up on the car-o-liner to get everything where it needs to be. Then we will un pick the rails & skirts to do the floor & firewall. Rails & skirts back on with sections replaced as needed. Then move on to the qtrs & beaver etc. Then we can look at the Eleanor kit. Should keep a few of the boys occupied for quite a while.

I reckon so!

Offline stangLover

• Blue Printed
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2009, 04:12:48 pm »
Hey guys....
Just the latest pic.....

Looks like we are moving forward quickly! All new metal has arrived at Panel shop, thanks to Capital Classics :(