Question about sand blasting/rust removal

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Question about sand blasting/rust removal  (Read 5638 times)

Offline craig.miller

• Stallion
« on: February 10, 2010, 04:42:35 pm »
Hey everyone,

Got a question in regards to removal of rust. Mainly pointed at ozbilt, Shermatt etc, is it worth getting a car sand/bead blasted etc before it is shipped tp Aus? and if so what are the costs like over in the US? Or is it just as cheap over here?

Cheers

Craig

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 04:53:22 pm »
I would wait until it gets here. Once it is blasted it is important to get the metal sealed with a good epoxy etch primer as soon as possible. If you get it done over there you have less control how they seal it, if they use an acid etch primer or a 1k the exposure to the salt air waiting at the docks & on the water will mean you may need to get it redone anyway. I pay between $1000.00 & $1800.00 to get a car bead blasted properly (Penrith NSW)

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 05:07:34 pm »
Cost are the same here in the US, but in US$, so much more & agree with Steve, the car would need redoing when it arrived in OZ.

More to the point, you can watch it being done in OZ, you have no idea of how good a job they do here, could just cover up what they miss in primer knowing you won't be back.

Offline mikes68

• Worked
    • www.mikes68.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 09:41:51 pm »
Originally posted by soc123_au
 I pay between $1000.00 & $1800.00 to get a car bead blasted properly (Penrith NSW)

I got an estimate of nearly $3000.00 for inside and out - I thought that was a bit excessive.

Do you know anyone in Perth where I might get this done for a whole car... at around Steve's price???
Cheers,
Mike

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 09:54:05 pm »
I would get it done in Oz unless you planned on getting the whole job done over here (to final finish)

I payed $800 last week for a car to be done but Im watching every step.

Having a car roll across the equater in primer....with humidity.....have to agree....would suck up water and would need to be stripped back again

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 09:14:35 am »
Originally posted by mikes68
 I pay between $1000.00 & $1800.00 to get a car bead blasted properly (Penrith NSW)

I got an estimate of nearly $3000.00 for inside and out - I thought that was a bit excessive.

Do you know anyone in Perth where I might get this done for a whole car... at around Steve's price???

Prices vary, I used to pay $600.00 just for an engine bay. The guy I use now is cheap but he does a good job, I send a bit of work his way as well so I guess i get a bit of a discount.

Offline mikes68

• Worked
    • www.mikes68.blogspot.com
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 07:28:38 pm »

Prices vary, I used to pay $600.00 just for an engine bay. The guy I use now is cheap but he does a good job, I send a bit of work his way as well so I guess i get a bit of a discount.

Thanks Steve,

Common story really isn't it - it's not always about what you know but who you know...

Cheers,
Mike

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 03:12:27 am »

Thanks Steve,

Common story really isn't it - it's not always about what you know but who you know...

Or how much work you send them.

I used to get at least 1 car a month done when I had the shop in CA. That place (American Stripping), after a few jobs had gone through, gave me huge discounts as I was then considered a regular customer.

http://americanstrippingsacramento.com/