Where did the term 'pony car' come from?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Where did the term 'pony car' come from?  (Read 2183 times)

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
« on: February 03, 2010, 03:12:10 pm »
For a very long time and up until a few months ago when I started researching Mustangs to buy, I always thought the term 'pony cars' referred exclusively to Mustangs, for obvious reasons.

But I read on a couple of different sites that the term described a whole category of cars at the time (60s) which got me wondering where the term originated.

Anyone?
Rick

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 03:36:14 pm »
The Mustang was the first, but became common term for all V8 American small cars competing in the Trans Am series in the US.

Up until the mid 1970's it was known as the "Pony Car Wars". Once they became hybrids (tube frame cars with outragous flares etc) the term was dropped.

Offline Cage

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 04:29:37 pm »
Spot on once again ozbilt. Small bodied muscle cars with big engines for us less car literate people. I'm starting to learn Kerry. I would have tried to answer this one if I was the first to get to it. Can't wait to pop the cherry with my first official answer. :o

Ponyride, there is a great show at the moment on Turbo Max on Foxtel Channel 634 and 635 (I love these channels) called the Muscle Car. If you have foxtel then make sure you look at this as it is a doco about the history of American muscles cars including the ponycars.

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 06:37:03 pm »
Unfortunately I don't have Foxtel cage, thanks for the tip.

Thanks Kerry for the answer.
Rick