Wiring for Halogen Globes

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Wiring for Halogen Globes  (Read 1240 times)

Offline seany-boy

• Worked
  • Car: 1970 Mach1
« on: January 29, 2010, 01:15:20 pm »
I know there is a couple of good threads about the install of relays etc for Halogen lights and it seems you either replace the existing power wiring or else you cut into it and put the relays driving greater current through existing wiring.
Has anyone had an experience on leaving the existing wiring from the relay to the lights - either good experience or bad?
Wondering how critical it is to change the wiring to something like 12 guage or lwill it be ok leaving it as original?

Sean

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 02:54:31 pm »
Sean, if its a trip line you need to control the relay the original wires are ok when installing a full twin relay kit.  

The problem in leaving the old wiring and connecting H4's, is the greater flow through the old wiring causing strain, cut outs and possible wire burn.

;]

Offline Bumblebee

• Blue Printed
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 07:26:05 pm »
Great how-to article in Mustang Monthly, just do a search.

Cheers Bee
Cheers Bee

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 08:16:00 pm »
The MM articles all direct you to a manufacturer that makes a separate wiring harness. Could not find a specific article for the following although there have been threads on the subject. Too late at night for me to start looking. :w

Easy to do yourself. You can unwrap the wiring loom just before the radiator support on the LH side. Find the wires for Hi & Low beam & cut them & extend about 150mm (so you have plenty to work with). Mark those wires as incoming Hi or Low beam & outgoing Hi & Low. Next is to fit a GOOD dual relay & run a heavy power wire from the battery to the "power in" on the relays. Run the ground (or earth) wires next. Connect the Hi & Low outgoing wires to each relay "out" terminal & finally connect the "trigger" wire (incoming) to the appropriate terminals on each relay (so Low matches Low, Hi matches Hi).

That is all that is needed for trouble free driving at night as it takes the load off the headlight switch & dipper switch, both weak links in the Ford system.

Offline seany-boy

• Worked
  • Car: 1970 Mach1
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 08:24:04 am »
cheers, I think Mac1 confirms what i had read in the articles with the old wiring from the relays to th eH4's. Replacement is recommended- I was just being lazy - never works ;}