Wiring Loom Fire

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Wiring Loom Fire  (Read 1077 times)

Offline grubbie

• Stallion
Wiring Loom Fire
« on: January 25, 2010, 05:59:24 pm »
My 65 suffered a wiring loom fire on the weekend. It has melted the two large wires from the starter solenoid all the way to the ingnition switch. Also, all the wiring at the rear of the alternator is melted. I have searched to see if the wiring has rubbed though anywhere, but seems OK.
Its that bad its beyond my skills, will need to tilt tray to auto elec.
Could a faulty alternator generate enough current to melt everything?
Any ideas would be of a great help.
It's better to know a little about a lot of things, than it is to know a lot about a little thing.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
Wiring Loom Fire
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 06:17:13 pm »
Originally posted by grubbie
My 65 suffered a wiring loom fire on the weekend. It has melted the two large wires from the starter solenoid all the way to the ingnition switch. Also, all the wiring at the rear of the alternator is melted. I have searched to see if the wiring has rubbed though anywhere, but seems OK.
Its that bad its beyond my skills, will need to tilt tray to auto elec.
Could a faulty alternator generate enough current to melt everything?
Any ideas would be of a great help.

Sounds like a live wire gound out. Car needs a front end loom, plugs in at the firewall, simple enough. The dash loom would probably only need the burnt wires replaced. Check with Capital Classics in Canberra to see if he has one. Phil Beresford in Melbourne would be another go.

Offline scott66stang

• Worked
  • Account Suspended
    • http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=6440&page=1
Wiring Loom Fire
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 06:38:05 pm »
I had the exact same thing happen years ago on a Falcon XT , turned out to be the diodes shorting in the alternater . Also was told it was very common on HQ holdens .

Offline grubbie

• Stallion
Wiring Loom Fire
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 07:31:56 pm »
Thanks guys for the interesting replies. I thought that the alternator was a bit suspect. I was watching it the other day and it seemd to be arcing excessively inside, but only intermittently. Might explain things a bit more.
It's better to know a little about a lot of things, than it is to know a lot about a little thing.

Offline mach70

• Blue Printed
Wiring Loom Fire
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 08:00:19 pm »
Had similar on my old Fairlane...turned out the positive lead going to the starter leant against the extractor and instant short while driving. Not pretty.