What Mags for my 66 coupe

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: What Mags for my 66 coupe  (Read 4519 times)

Offline ANTZ66

• L Plates
« on: July 24, 2005, 08:59:39 pm »
I am unsure what style and size mags would suit my 66 coupe.  I have searched various sites and forums but they all talk about having to do modifications etc.  I want to keep everything reasonably stock standard.
Where should I be looking to get Mags and what size. Were mags an option for 66 models?  P.S. I have discs on front.

Any help to this newbie would be appreciated.

Offline Hally

• Pony
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 05:14:02 pm »
ANTZ66,

I use a factory style mag wheel on my 66 (which runs discs) which were quite reasonable in price. Email me at andrew@mustangblue.org and I will send you a photo and price etc.

Cheers,

Andrew

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 07:46:01 pm »
Try this site.    
 http://mustang.webhostme.com/wheels.htm
nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline Petey

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 05:08:08 pm »
It all comes down to overall wheel diameter and vehicle height.
The aim is to fill the wheel arches to create that muscle car look.
If the car is lowered say 2 inches then the maximum recommended diameter wheel would be in the order of 16 inches with a medium low profile tyre. Rim width of up to 7 inches will work as long as the backspace does not exceed 4 inches (front suspension may interfer otherwise).
Personally I think a 15 inch x 7 inch is ideal for the '65 & '66 stang and these are available in the traditional styled steel just like the original 14 inch x 5 inch wheel.
If you want a more radical look, then 17 inch x 8 inch can fit with low profile tyres but you may have to trim the rear wheel flange near the rubber bump stop and possibly only lower the car 1.5 inches.
Check out this month's Mustang Monthly magazine which has a ghreat article on this very subject.

PT