new to the site and looking for a fastback

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: new to the site and looking for a fastback  (Read 9057 times)

Offline used2have1

• Pony
« on: January 17, 2010, 07:00:32 pm »
Hi Guys and Gals,
I’ve had the Mustang bug for many years and never taken the plunge. Only in recent weeks have I decided to do something about it.
After reading the forum for the last 2 weeks, gathering information, I have decided to import, unless something local shows up.
It looks like US classics are like Aus classics; the more correct a car is the better value it holds?
This has in some what changed my way of thinking as I wanted to do a GT350 clone.
Which by the sounds of things might actually devalue the car?
Is this the thoughts for others?

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 07:07:36 pm »
First up if you havent already been welcomed....welcome!

In regards to your post I think it depends how you go about it. If you take a plain jane fastback and get the body work etc back to perfect and swap in a more desirable engine then you will probably end up with a more valuable car when compared to the restored plain car.

It also depends how much you are changing. If all you are doing is changing the paint scheme to a gt350 one and leaving the rest stock then some would argue you are only affecting the cars value to the effect of a new paint job...but then some would argue if the new colour scheme is more desirable than the old then you have added value to the car.

Something to also remember is there is more than one type of market for these cars. There is the purists, modifiers and the ones that dont care all they want is a mustang! These cars values are based on perceived value so the more desirable a car is to a particular person the more they will pay for it. Whether it is desirable to them because it is stock or because its a shelby clone just depends on who shows up on the day to buy the car.

Its a tough one so at the end of the day if you are building this car to sell for a profit then consider the resale but if you are building it for your own enjoyment for many years consider what will make you happiest!

Offline used2have1

• Pony
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 07:39:14 pm »
Thanks for the welcome and input.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 08:43:08 pm »
Welcome & hope you enjoy the ride. GT350, so what year were you thinking? Some years are easier to clone than others.

Offline shteve65

• Pony
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 09:45:32 pm »
Welcome! Best place you could ever go to for advice and support on getting your mustang.

U2U sent.  

Offline used2have1

• Pony
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 10:25:10 pm »
Hi Ozbilt, After a 65/66, not sure to clone or not. Or to buy one aready done.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 10:32:19 pm »
66 is easier than a 65. Too many Shelby specific things on a 65 to buy & they are very expensive.

Offline Rock65

• Worked
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 11:19:50 pm »
Gday used2have1, just like you i also had the same idea about a year ago and started looking on the net(craigslist.com,autabuy.com etc,etc).Decided i wanted a GT350 clone fastback and thats what i was going to get. Liked the wimbeldon white with the blue stripes,black interior,289,manual and a few shelby options. Looked far and wide and finally found the car i liked. Looked at a thousand cars before i found one that suited my budget and condition. As a newbie my advice is do lots of research,look at alot of cars ,then buy the one you want. Get 'Shermatt "or "ken"  and others who frequent the forum who live in the states  to help you with your search.There are some great cars out there  ,and its just a matter of waiting for the right one to come your way.Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 12:23:18 am »
Have to agree with Rohan...patience is key when searching for "THAT CAR"...sometimes you will find it on the first day and sometimes you can search for months trying to find those illusive S code cars or A and K codes.

I have a GT350 sitting in my driveway but the restoration is not finished...that kinda sucks as I would love to sell it

No where near finished though

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 12:26:34 am »
heres another heads up....when you find one...act on it straight away....dont sit around deciding as they sell quick

Found one advertised yesterday at 5am and it was sold by 6.30pm

Offline used2have1

• Pony
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 11:58:19 am »
Matt, the one in your driveway.... Im interested in hearing more about it. Can you send me more info ? Thanks Darren

Offline mark678

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 12:08:07 pm »

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 12:14:57 pm »
Darren.....I have about 700 boxes of new stuff to put on this car and to be honest I have no idea when that will EVER happen...I really want to get it finished...its soooooo god danm close and I really dont want to sell it unfinished as I REALLY want to hear this engine...lot of work went into that engine and I just need to hear it start

I will update some pics on the fatkids clone later

Offline seany-boy

• Worked
  • Car: 1970 Mach1
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 03:44:07 pm »
Foresight, you confused me  building this car to sell for a profit :w:w what is dis?

Offline dalex

• Worked
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 05:51:13 pm »
Originally posted by seany-boy
Foresight, you confused me  building this car to sell for a profit :w:w what is dis?

It can be done;

Car + parts + labor at $1 per hour.... oh and a bunch of lost receipts also improve profitability.

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 05:55:38 pm »
haha for all i know he could be a panel beater with 20 years experience and was planning to do the whole resto himself

im sure if you find the right car and sold it locally you could do it ;+

Offline used2have1

• Pony
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 08:37:08 pm »
Not a panel beater, not to bad with a spanner. If I pull it apart, normally it all goes back together right (with no spare parts) lol. I’m an electrician.
I have bought and sold over the years, a lot of Aussie cars, still have a problem with the old Torana's can't seem to not buy one....Only have 3 at the moment.
My wife is the Ford Gal. We were looking at local Aussie fords, and then I suggested a Mustang as I have always wanted one, but couldn't admit to it, I must be a closet ford person
or something.

Offline Rock65

• Worked
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 10:45:41 pm »
Every torana i looked at in OZ had been stuffed with and they all wanted a bucket load of cash for a bucket load of s@#t. So thats why i decided to go the mustang.Still a few nice cars around at a good price.Didnt want to do to much work when it got here.So hopefully brought one that has most of the work done. More driving.....Less working on it..And used2have1 i have been a holden man all my life.(oops)

Offline Mitch

• L Plates
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010, 11:00:45 pm »
;{ Hello all, I too am new to the site of Mustang madness and yes my name is Darren. I got this evil disease some years ago when that terrifying machine named Eleanor tore down the street pulling the blouses of helpless Grannies as they walked home.;x
Well I have instructed my Accountant that i now have to get a Mustang, na not reallyI begged like you would'nt believe;]
I have to say the comradre and support you guys give each other has got to be commended, I guess that's another reason I want to join the clan:2
Matt and Kerry, is it okay if I send an u2u regarding the type of car etc I am chasing;2
I hope i don't upset anyone, just getting used to the etiquette:a

Offline Rock65

• Worked
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2010, 11:06:03 pm »
Welcome to the club FNQ.

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2010, 11:30:21 pm »
fire away Darren...and welcome to the forum

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 12:28:38 am »
Welcome Darren

Just  be a general good bloke and you'll be fine mate :(

Why dont you start up a thread so we can all follow your journey?

Offline Mitch

• L Plates
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 01:03:06 am »
Sounds great, I'll just take baby steps at the moment and do a reccy of how it all works. I am like a kid with new mates and toys:p yet I don't have the toy YET:+

Offline Brett_T

• Worked
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 08:11:15 am »
Hi Darren,
 I have a 66 fastback that i am about to sell... send me your email address and i will send you pics if you are interested..It has a late model 302 HO motor with a 5 speed Tremac behind it..  sitting on 18 inch wheels..

Offline used2have1

• Pony
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010, 08:41:21 pm »
2 Darren's in the same post both chasing Mustangs. Whats the chances LOL.

;+