fitting seat blets to 66 coupe & child restrants

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: fitting seat blets to 66 coupe & child restrants  (Read 5081 times)

Offline 66stang

• Pony
« on: December 03, 2006, 08:45:05 pm »
recently bought a 66 coupe, but need some information on were to mount the child restrants and seat belts, to pass L02 compliance, any help would be nice.

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 10:01:49 pm »
Mine didn't need belts for compliance, but I bought a set of new seatbelts from the US, and they came with big plate washers, that I assume you put under the nut, to spread the load. Also, when we bought our Baby Seat, it came with a baby bolt, and large plate washer, that I again assume can be used under the nut, anywhere in the parcel shelf.
If anyone has specifics, or knows where to drill the mounting holes, that would be appreciated.
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline jas24zzk

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 11:17:40 pm »
Blkpny,
         your are in Vic, 66stang is in QLD, so unfortunatley your experience is invalid.

66stang.....fortunatley you have a coupe, which is easier to comply.
Find your local LO2 engineer and work with him now.   Although QLD laws can be awkward, if you choose an engineer before you begin and do everything he wants you will pass.

many of us here could give you a lot of advice on what you need to do, based on experience, but it always comes down to what your engineer will sign for.

Cheers
Jas

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 06:23:50 pm »
Originally posted by jas24zzk
Blkpny,
         your are in Vic, 66stang is in QLD, so unfortunatley your experience is invalid.
Cheers
Jas

Thanks Captain Obvious, I was explaining that I too was after the same info.
Custom Mustangs
For Email CLICK HERE
Signature Sponsor

Offline 66stang

• Pony
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 08:14:31 pm »
Thanks for the advice.

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 08:30:14 pm »
Please post up any info you get, as contrary to what Jas says, I'm sure the seatbelt mountings and positions will be the same from QLD to Vic....
Custom Mustangs
For Email CLICK HERE
Signature Sponsor

Offline Brett_T

• Worked
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 09:30:38 pm »
I am in QLD and had a company called Car-Pliance do it, seatbelts are straight forward, If you want to have a look at one of my cars let me know...

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 10:07:55 pm »
maybe if you had a pic of the belt holes without the seat in, or pics from under the car, that would be great.
Custom Mustangs
For Email CLICK HERE
Signature Sponsor

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 10:17:58 pm »
I thought those whom supply road worthy certificates would bd able to help, Most places that do blue slips in NSW are authorised seat belt fitting stations, ........... Het stephem have you checked your email or U2U lately, Ive been tring to contact you>
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 10:19:53 pm »
Your pics are up....
Custom Mustangs
For Email CLICK HERE
Signature Sponsor

Offline jas24zzk

• Worked
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 12:01:03 am »
Originally posted by BLKPNY
Originally posted by jas24zzk
Blkpny,
Cheers
Jas

Thanks Captain Obvious, I was explaining that I too was after the same info.

My Pleasure ;+

The fact that 66 stang is in QLD and you are in Vic makes a HUGE difference.

In QLD to comply (from my understanding) you need lap/sash in the front and rear.  You also need at least one baby restraint.

In Vic you need Front only lap belts that carry an australian standard with associated serial number (QLD must also be australian standard compliant), depending on year.  I forget off hand, but if i recall correctly  a 65 wil pass with front only, and a 66 needs rear laps also.

All mustangs pre 1969 came standard with lap fronts, and lap rears were an option, so your mounting points are already provided from factory.

Victoria deals with child restraints differently to QLD.   QLD assumes everyone is going to carry a child, so the vehicle must be modified to suit.  Victoria places the onus on the owner/driver to ensure the child is properly secured.  

The biggest problem with QLD's regulations is that it does not allow for responsible fitting...i.e   the only way to mount a 3 point harness in the front of a convertible, is to place the highest point below the shoulder, which will give you a broken back due to spine compression rather than a broken nose.

As for my comments regarding your post, what was intended  (albeit poorly put) was that QLD regulations are tougher than vic's.

The big plate washers are intended for cars that have had the original mounts fall off/lost in resto (i.e due new floors) or stripped due poor tradesman.    The fact you got away with aftermarket belts from the known suppliers is a plus for you, as they do not carry the australian standard (all belts that comly carry a serial number unique to Oz).

Cheers
Jas

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 07:09:16 am »
Cool, so the rear mounts are there? I had a quick look the other day, from underneath, but as I did not know where to look, couldn't see them. I believe I still have the original floors.
Also, as I do want to carry a baby seat, is the washer provided with the seat and mountings enough? Should I put the seat in the middle, or off to one side?

Thanks
Custom Mustangs
For Email CLICK HERE
Signature Sponsor

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 06:24:35 pm »
Originally posted by BLKPNY
Cool, so the rear mounts are there? I had a quick look the other day, from underneath, but as I did not know where to look, couldn't see them. I believe I still have the original floors.
Also, as I do want to carry a baby seat, is the washer provided with the seat and mountings enough? Should I put the seat in the middle, or off to one side?

Thanks

Whats your email address? I will send pics of the mounting points used in my old 66 coupe, it was QLD L02 compliant.
nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 06:26:16 pm »
crushu@tpg.com.au

Thanks
Custom Mustangs
For Email CLICK HERE
Signature Sponsor

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 06:44:27 pm »
Pics sent.
nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline jas24zzk

• Worked
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2006, 12:07:11 am »
Blkpny,
          are the washers enough to spread the potential load....?

Bloody good question!!!

These baby seat kits are actually built to an australian standard  (if yours doesn't carry the oz standard you brought the wrong one).    That standard, i would assume would be written to suit the weakest mounting point they could think of, and the manufacturer will provide a kit to suit the bare minimum to achieve the standard.

Whilst the kit meets the standard, i take a more detailed and personal view...(whilst i don;t have kids)....do i think its enough?  if i don't then i beef it up.
If you need to go through engineering, they will not fail you for over-engineering your project.

It is something that is worth consulting an engineer for.  After they tell you what is ok, ask them if that would be enough to bolt thier child to, and get his real opinion.

Cheers
Jas

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2006, 08:55:21 pm »
Yeah, it is Australian Standards, I wanted to buy the Simpson Baby Racing seat while I was in the States, but sadly they have not been tested ;]

Custom Mustangs
For Email CLICK HERE
Signature Sponsor